progamer

A Large Fixed Wing transport aircraft for Arma 3

nah, I'd prefer something with strong landing gear and STOL tech rather than an amphibian.

The question is....WHY do we need a large cargo a/c when we have choppers? Here's some suggestions:

- speed (vs helicopters)

- cargo capacity (paratroopers, LAVs, Humvees)

- large paradrops (although the CH49 can carry quite a bit)

There's got to be a need rather than a 'nice to have'.

Picture Altis and all the way accross the map is the next AO and you have 30 humans need transport. You have 3 aircraft to choose from a Chinook, c130 and some kind of amphibious fixed wing transport.

I think I know which one would be quicker, safer and more fun and which one most people would choose, just sayin...

Anyone notice how the video shows it carry a lot of the vehicles we have in game like the hunter, the other MRAPS, The Artillery and the HEMTT? I definitely think this is our golden aircraft for Arma 3. It can back up, its a STOL, can carry the in-game vehicles and can preform multiple roles like air to air refueling with Jets and Helicopters! The video also gives that not to distant future vibe Arma 3 has! :yay:

I could imagine having the loadmaster seat having a backup pip scareen for guiding the pilot with backing up on the ground and another pip screen for viewing the cargo area to tell the pilot when everyone's onboard or off the vehicle and making sure the cargo is safe.

---------- Post added at 17:15 ---------- Previous post was at 17:14 ----------

Picture Altis and all the way accross the map is the next AO and you have 30 humans need transport. You have 3 aircraft to choose from a Chinook, c130 and some kind of amphibious fixed wing transport.

I think I know which one would be quicker, safer and more fun and which one most people would choose, just sayin...

If its used in a mission with an "AO" but then you have the issue of boat physx which Arma isn't the best at really.

I wonder if this one would work for landing :)

http://i.imgur.com/AVOj7Vn.jpg (390 kB)

There´s an airport close by but just for kicks. I also scouted the western part of the island and especially the north-west part. It´s going to be tough to land there, even with the C-17 which seems ridiculous in how short landing it needs.

But i´ll take it as a challenge :)

I included the C-130 as Arma 2 had it and to give an idea of size and other specs of these aircraft In Arma 3.

The wingspan of the various aircraft are: A400m is 42m. C-17 is 52m. C-130 is 40m.

The length of various aircraft are: A400m is 45m. C-17 is 53m. C-130 is 30m.

The speed of various aircraft is: A400m is 780km. C-17 is 830km. C-130 is 540km.

Takeoff and landings:

The tactical takeoff distance is: A400m is 980m. C-17 is ? C-130 is ?

The tactical landing distance is: A400m is 770m. C-17 is ? C-130 is ?

If someone could find the tactical takeoff and landing for the C-17 or C-130 because all i could find was Max weight takeoff and landing distance.

These are not the shortest the vehicles can land and take-off but the normal take-off and landing distances. We data from the point the wheels touch the ground to a complete stop of forward motion.

Edited by ProGamer

I've been flying CH49 missions on Altis (Domination) and I can tell you its quick and easy, and the travel distances (yes even over Altis) aren't that large given the speed of the bus. Plus I have the ability to hover and/or land in rough terrain without the need for an airstrip.

Ok i just watched a video with a Typhoon with afterburner going some 1,400km/h per hour crossing the map. Nearly 1,5 minutes...

Does not sound like much but start counting by yourself, i bet you will be bored before you reach 1 minute.

So with a transport plane going at 700-800 cruising speed that´s almost 3 minutes of constant flying to cross the map.

I think the map is big enough to have transport planes in my opinion.

Ok i just watched a video with a Typhoon with afterburner going some 1,400km/h per hour crossing the map. Nearly 1,5 minutes...

Does not sound like much but start counting by yourself, i bet you will be bored before you reach 1 minute.

So with a transport plane going at 700-800 cruising speed that´s almost 3 minutes of constant flying to cross the map.

I think the map is big enough to have transport planes in my opinion.

We had transport planes in Arma 2, just because they can go that fast doesn't mean they have to either. Those are also the "empty" speeds.

I've been flying CH49 missions on Altis (Domination) and I can tell you its quick and easy, and the travel distances (yes even over Altis) aren't that large given the speed of the bus. Plus I have the ability to hover and/or land in rough terrain without the need for an airstrip.

These large tranport aircraft won't just be for dominating type mission. For example a mission that starts off by having you just from the aircraft or a mission which has the aircraft believably drop large vehicles and soldiers that parachute down into the battlefield.

Edit: opps, thought the two post would merge into one like they normally do.

I think we'll be happy if any such aircraft makes it in but I also hope it won't be just recycled C130. I'd really like to see the C17 this time around and I think altis is massive enough for it

I'll take anything BIS can create. How will it work though ie. we currently can't drive into a helicopter (eg. the Mohawk) ie. we have the 'get in'. I'm wondering whether them putting in a C17 or something equivalent would require some sort of rewrite of code or something to allow us to actually board and move around in aircraft. Any ideas on this? How else will we be able to say drive MBTs onto one of these behemoths?

I'll take anything BIS can create. How will it work though ie. we currently can't drive into a helicopter (eg. the Mohawk) ie. we have the 'get in'. I'm wondering whether them putting in a C17 or something equivalent would require some sort of rewrite of code or something to allow us to actually board and move around in aircraft. Any ideas on this? How else will we be able to say drive MBTs onto one of these behemoths?

Not sure of it either but there were some talks about man class being able to stay on moving ships without falling through or off

the fact that you can't all jump into a Mohawk (which looks like it can take 50 infantry!) seems pretty crappy ie. we shd be able to drop the rear door and have guys just walk in/out as they do IRL, not some stupid (and I mean stupid when 10 inf can't get into your chopper even though there's empty seats) 'get in' system.

Think i counted 16 seats in the mohawk. (could be wrong though)

And excluding pilot, co-pilot.

This is off the wiki for the NH90 (or MRH 90) which I'm assuming the Mohawk is based off:

General characteristics

Crew: 2 pilots (and possible sensor operator on NFH)

Capacity: 20 seated troops; or 12 medevac stretchers; or 2 NATO pallets; or 4,000 kg (8,818 lb) external slung load

Length: 16.13 m (52 ft 11 in)

Rotor diameter: 16.30 m (53 ft 6 in)

Height: 5.23 m (17 ft 2 in)

Empty weight: 6,400 kg (14,100 lb)

Useful load: 4,200 kg (9,260 lb)

Max. takeoff weight: 10,600 kg (23,370 lb)

Powerplant: 2 × Rolls-Royce Turbomeca RTM322-01/9 turboshaft, 1,662 kW (2,230 shp) each, or:

Powerplant: 2 × General Electric T700-T6E turboshaft, 1,577 kW (2,115 shp) each

Performance

Maximum speed: 300 km/h (162 knots, 186 mph)

Range: 800 km, 497 mi (TTH); 1,000 km, 621 mi (NFH) ()

Service ceiling: 6,000 m (20,000 ft)

Rate of climb: 8 m/s (1,574 ft/m)

Surely if its 2035 we'd have stronger turbines with stronger rotors, etc to be able to lift more. I mean, we need large load carrying choppers so we should atleast get the CH47 or something similar. The wiki for the CH47 states:

General characteristics

Crew: 3 (pilot, copilot, flight engineer)

Capacity:

33–55 troops or

24 litters and 3 attendants or

28,000 lb (12,700 kg) cargo

Length: 98 ft 10 in (30.1 m)

Rotor diameter: 60 ft 0 in (18.3 m)

Height: 18 ft 11 in (5.7 m)

Disc area: 5,600 ft2 (520 m2)

Empty weight: 23,400 lb (10,185 kg)

Loaded weight: 26,680 lb (12,100 kg)

Max. takeoff weight: 50,000 lb (22,680 kg)

Powerplant: 2 × Lycoming T55-GA-714A turboshaft, 4,733 hp (3,631 kW) each

Performance

Maximum speed: 170 knots (196 mph, 315 km/h)

Cruise speed: 130 kt (149 mph, 240 km/h)

Range: 400 nmi (450 mi, 741 km)

Combat radius: 200 nmi (370.4 km)

Ferry range: 1,216 nmi (1,400 mi, 2,252 km[100])

Service ceiling: 18,500 ft (5,640 m)

Rate of climb: 1,522 ft/min (7.73 m/s)

Disc loading: 9.5 lb/ft2 (47 kg/m2)

Power/mass: 0.28 hp/lb (460 W/kg)

Look at that capacity...33-55 troops. I'll happy take the CH49 if we get a large cargo a/c to supplement this (ie. for higher troop loads and/or cargo/vehicles).

Certainly looks the part however the specs are:

General characteristics

Crew: 3–4

Capacity: 8 troops or 4 stretchers (with sonar removed)[138]

Unless they used that as the base model and just stretched the fuselage.

Either way....WE NEED A LARGE CARGO A/C :)

WE NEED A LARGE CARGO A/C :)

Theoretically the Mohawk is a future version of the Merlin. BTW the best option for cargo/troop would be the Osprey. That I really don't understand why is not in the final release ( it has everything, futuristic, it can carry cargo and troops, fly like a plane and land like a chopper ).

And after that a little cargo plane would be really cool ( by little I mean C130 / A400 sized )

I'm sure I read somewhere that we were getting an Osprey in the official release - is there anything certain on this?

think it got canned along with the F-35, oh and in regards to the cargo capacity on the merlin.

Crew and cargo[edit source]

The AW101 is typically operated by a crew of three: a pilot, an observer, and a crewman/operator. The pilot is able to fly for the majority of a mission in a hands-off mode, enabled by the sophisticated autopilot. All crew members have individual access to management computers and tactical information.[69]

The fuselage has a volume of 31.91 cubic metres (1,127 cu ft) and the cargo compartment is 6.5 metres (21 ft) in length, 2.3 metres (7 ft 7 in) wide and 1.91 metres (6 ft 3 in) high. The military version of the AW101 can accommodate up to 24 seated or 45 standing combat troops and their equipment. Alternative loads include a medical team and 16 stretchers, and cargo pallets.[70][71]

The ramp, 1.91 by 2.3 metres (6 ft 3 in × 7 ft 7 in), can take a 3,050-kilogram (6,700 lb) load, allowing it to carry vehicles such as Land Rovers.[72] The ramp and cabin floor are fitted with flush tie-down points. A cargo hook under the fuselage can carry external loads of 5,440 kilograms (12,000 lb) via the use of a semi-automatic cargo release unit (SACRU).[73] A rescue hoist and a hover trim controller are fitted at the cargo door. An optional cargo winch can be installed near to the rear ramp.[55][74]

think the info at the bottom of the wiki page is just referring to the ASW version.

think it got canned along with the F-35, oh and in regards to the cargo capacity on the merlin.

Crew and cargo[edit source]

The AW101 is typically operated by a crew of three: a pilot, an observer, and a crewman/operator. The pilot is able to fly for the majority of a mission in a hands-off mode, enabled by the sophisticated autopilot. All crew members have individual access to management computers and tactical information.[69]

The fuselage has a volume of 31.91 cubic metres (1,127 cu ft) and the cargo compartment is 6.5 metres (21 ft) in length, 2.3 metres (7 ft 7 in) wide and 1.91 metres (6 ft 3 in) high. The military version of the AW101 can accommodate up to 24 seated or 45 standing combat troops and their equipment. Alternative loads include a medical team and 16 stretchers, and cargo pallets.[70][71]

The ramp, 1.91 by 2.3 metres (6 ft 3 in × 7 ft 7 in), can take a 3,050-kilogram (6,700 lb) load, allowing it to carry vehicles such as Land Rovers.[72] The ramp and cabin floor are fitted with flush tie-down points. A cargo hook under the fuselage can carry external loads of 5,440 kilograms (12,000 lb) via the use of a semi-automatic cargo release unit (SACRU).[73] A rescue hoist and a hover trim controller are fitted at the cargo door. An optional cargo winch can be installed near to the rear ramp.[55][74]

think the info at the bottom of the wiki page is just referring to the ASW version.

Those are medium aircraft while this thread is on large fixed wing aircraft. The F-35 and V-22 were quick ports from Arma 2 which were to test Phsyx aircraft.

Those are medium aircraft while this thread is on large fixed wing aircraft. The F-35 and V-22 were quick ports from Arma 2 which were to test Phsyx aircraft.

yes, I was simply adding to their info for the merlin/Mohawk and informing pharaoh that it appears the osprey is not going to be included by bis in the release.

I just checked the bigger choppers in game and it´s as follows,

This is not counting the pilots, you can just add 2 on every number.

_8 - Orca

_8 - Kajman

10 - Ghosthawk

16 - Mohawk

2 Mohawks could do the job but it will never be able to transport Ifrit´s or any of that stuff for the infantry guys.

2 Mohawks could do the job but it will never be able to transport Ifrit´s or any of that stuff for the infantry guys.

hence the need for a large cargo a/c...c'mon BIS...bring on the heavies!! :) (C17, A400M, C130, etc etc).

I just checked the bigger choppers in game and it´s as follows,

This is not counting the pilots, you can just add 2 on every number.

_8 - Orca

_8 - Kajman

10 - Ghosthawk

16 - Mohawk

A bit offtopic, but why would the Altis army have huge transport choppers for a little island? Wouldn't be more logical to have a little and versatile armed choppers that allow them to deploy few troops, patrol the island and control the nearby seas?

An72

Original by Footmunch, textures by eddyD

WIP, still a few issues in ArmA3

Attaching vehicles into the cargo works very well in SP.

No idea about AttachTo and MP.

9654837468_7e7a56a994.jpg

9654837322_1033a74879.jpg

9654837116_e43f416fed.jpg