Sign in to follow this  
Marioshata

There should be multiple jets in the release version

Are the new CAS jets going to feature STOL and/Or VTOL capabilities?

I've mentioned this somewhere else but I would love to see an A10/YF23 hybrid. Imagine a YF23 with an inlarged fuselage to fit a GAU-8 Avenger cannon, larger slightly less swept wings to allow additional fuel, weapon stations, and give better slow speed performance while conducting CAS and a larger internal weapons bay to allow for more ordnance to fill the Tactical Bomber/Attack roles. Might just be Me but I think that would be awesome. Not to mention the fact that given its "humble" origins as a prototype air superiority stealth fighter it could certainly fill the fighter role as well:)

you know why its not ingame, legal issues over mod ownership, BIS needs to own those mods or the rights to them incase of any complaints since they will be the ones legally providing them

No, no they don't.

They merely need to provide a line in the EULA saying any content downloaded from 3rd party servers is at your own risk.

Thanks! I´m excited to see what other airplanes they have in store for us.

and yet i see so many people that would get so much satisfaction from a proper military flight simulator, that my heart aches. You insist on playing soccer in a small cramped courtyard with a punctured ball, when there are some green, wide, fine, proper soccer fields outside this palisade. I am telling you this as a fellow flight simmer: since you all enjoy flying so much, and i know the quality of anything that flies in A2 is crap and the premises for A3 are even worse and yet you lot crave to fly, wont you try a proper flight sim and see the beauty of it?

I am not repeating the hateful mantra "dont like it go play something else", im sincerely suggesting you to try and follow your passions...

I disagree, you are leaving out a huge reason why a lot of us flight sim fans choose to fly in ARMA. Show me any flight sim that has this level of terrain detail and combined arms interaction and I will gladly play that instead but it does not exist. I used to play flight sims only but gave up because of lack of details with terrain, vehicles, infantry etc.. Not to mention being able to work with humans on the ground to coordinate attacks or CAS/CAP.

I have had so many fun experiences supporting humans on the ground where they needed me to clear the skies or provide CAS, nothing else comes close. Heck I even had a great experience getting shot down ejecting and sneaking back behind enemy lines, again no sim can do that but I do hope ARMA goes more the sim direction as A3 seems more gamey than ever before which is not encouraging.

No, no they don't.

They merely need to provide a line in the EULA saying any content downloaded from 3rd party servers is at your own risk.

steam disagrees, and since they are offically providing the mods directly to the user, they can and likely will be DCMA'd if someone gets pissy. ergo they own the work, so they can remove it instanly

I disagree, you are leaving out a huge reason why a lot of us flight sim fans choose to fly in ARMA. Show me any flight sim that has this level of terrain detail and combined arms interaction and I will gladly play that instead but it does not exist. I used to play flight sims only but gave up because of lack of details with terrain, vehicles, infantry etc.. Not to mention being able to work with humans on the ground to coordinate attacks or CAS/CAP.

I have had so many fun experiences supporting humans on the ground where they needed me to clear the skies or provide CAS, nothing else comes close. Heck I even had a great experience getting shot down ejecting and sneaking back behind enemy lines, again no sim can do that but I do hope ARMA goes more the sim direction as A3 seems more gamey than ever before which is not encouraging.

My thoughts exactly on Arma and flying!

My thoughts exactly on Arma and flying!

Me too!

I love DCS but without any real soldiers on the ground to support (no, a single Commander doesn't count), it feels a bit hollow and lonely and ArmA can be much more fun, knowing that there's real people on the ground relying on you.

When i use attack helos or jets in arma i have this feeling that the game becomes a "push-tab-to-win".

Most of the times the terrain is so small that you don't even have time to take off and you are already on target (or worse there's someone already shooting at you), countermeasures make your vehicle almost impossible to shoot down with anything unless you go on auto-hovering right on top of an AAA gun, having a mission that mixes infantry and air assets usually means putting a whole lot of tanks where the infantry sits back and CAS does all the work.

The only person out of 30 members that is currently pushing my community into having more air assets is a guy affected by the "i am the badass that saves the day for the rest of you infantry peasants" syndrome and is also usually the only one that flies fixed wing.

Fixed wing in Arma is one of those things that is nice to have in a corner and take out for a flight once every while to make the game more diverse like scuba diving or crew-served weapons but surely is not the pillar onto which you judge an infantry-oriented game like this.

There are surely other things i would put my efforts in, like making proper amphibian assault ships instead of the crappy LHD arma 2 had (given the fact that we are about to "invade" an ISLAND and that most community made maps are islands or are touched by water) or more detailed/diverse ground vehicles.

I don't know if my experience is the rule or the exeption, maybe there is a way to actually enjoy infantry and air assets together but i haven't found it yet.

When i use attack helos or jets in arma i have this feeling that the game becomes a "push-tab-to-win".

Most of the times the terrain is so small that you don't even have time to take off and you are already on target (or worse there's someone already shooting at you), countermeasures make your vehicle almost impossible to shoot down with anything unless you go on auto-hovering right on top of an AAA gun, having a mission that mixes infantry and air assets usually means putting a whole lot of tanks where the infantry sits back and CAS does all the work.

The only person out of 30 members that is currently pushing my community into having more air assets is a guy affected by the "i am the badass that saves the day for the rest of you infantry peasants" syndrome and is also usually the only one that flies fixed wing.

Fixed wing in Arma is one of those things that is nice to have in a corner and take out for a flight once every while to make the game more diverse like scuba diving or crew-served weapons but surely is not the pillar onto which you judge an infantry-oriented game like this.

There are surely other things i would put my efforts in, like making proper amphibian assault ships instead of the crappy LHD arma 2 had (given the fact that we are about to "invade" an ISLAND and that most community made maps are islands or are touched by water) or more detailed/diverse ground vehicles.

I don't know if my experience is the rule or the exeption, maybe there is a way to actually enjoy infantry and air assets together but i haven't found it yet.

That's the thing about ARMA it all depends on which server you play on. Sure you can get those AIR chaos maps where nobody sticks to the plan but thats up to the map maker to make those adjustments.

I will say I have had plenty of great experiences with both in one session where all assets pull their part and everyone has a great time. If you disagree that's fine there are way more infantry only maps anyways but I think people are missing out big time on the CAS to ground coop thing because when it is setup right it is the best game/sim experience to be had ever IMO.

countermeasures make your vehicle almost impossible to shoot down with anything unless you go on auto-hovering right on top of an AAA gun,

Quite the opposite of what i´ve done and experienced.

I watched a video explaining the sensitive areas on the A3 chopper model and later that day i took down two choppers with a regular rifle. One moving and the other hovering.

If it´s a littlebird it´s even easier if he´s coming towards you. Just a piece of glass between you and the pilot.

In fact i´d say if you don´t move all the time at a reasonably good pace you will be shot down in critical areas quite easily.

From my experience it comes down to how good the shooter is versus how good the pilot is.

Well guess what, i have an opposite experience too! :D

Sometimes the Kaiman countermeasures are so good that even if he's flying at low altitude and low speed and you have an AA titan all it takes him is just one chaff burst to evade the missile and it looks incredibly resistent to the Blackfoot autocannon rounds. I tried to engage it with a blackfoot multiple times, it evades easily the ASRAAM missiles and 9 out of 10 times hitting it with the autocannon doesn't do any damage.

Anyway countermeasures or not you still have to put a lot of effort to make a balanced mission that makes some sense out of so much firepower without spoiling the fun for the rest of the infantry.

I'm not saying they are a waste nor that they shouldn't be in game, sometimes it's good to have them, but people should expect less from air vehicles in a game like this.

Oh yes i´m not saying anything about your opinion :) Everyone has a different experience and different opinions,

-

Again i´m late to the party but surely someone must have mentioned 5th gen fighter jets. With the game being in 2035 you would think 6th gen fighter jets are on the verge of coming into production.

I would honestly be happy with some pure concepts if there´s no official licenses to 5th gen aircrafts.

I absolutely love the idea behind merging stealth and fighter jets (also ridiculous maneuverability) , like PAK-FA or F-22 Raptor.

Oh yes i´m not saying anything about your opinion :) Everyone has a different experience and different opinions,

-

Again i´m late to the party but surely someone must have mentioned 5th gen fighter jets. With the game being in 2035 you would think 6th gen fighter jets are on the verge of coming into production.

I would honestly be happy with some pure concepts if there´s no official licenses to 5th gen aircrafts.

I absolutely love the idea behind merging stealth and fighter jets (also ridiculous maneuverability) , like PAK-FA or F-22 Raptor.

Devs specifically quoted they were looking at subsonic craft for CAS purposes, rather than dogfighting.

And unfortunately so, I hate to sound like I'm knocking them but a subsonic fixed wing tactical aircraft on a 2035 battlefield, designed for CAS or not is highly unlikely. Especially given that the only subsonic tactical aircraft currently in service in western armed forces to my knowledge are the harrier and the A10, with the harrier being set to be replaced by the supersonic capable F35B's and the A10 set to be retired by the late 2020's with no replacement currently in development...that we know of;) I think they are just going to have to bite the bullet and make supersonic birds if they want to have any sense of realism.

steam disagrees, and since they are offically providing the mods directly to the user, they can and likely will be DCMA'd if someone gets pissy. ergo they own the work, so they can remove it instanly

Who the said anything about Steam?

I never suggested Steam workshop should be used for downloading mods from servers.

with the harrier being set to be replaced by the supersonic capable F35B's and the A10 set to be retired by the late 2020's with no replacement currently in development...that we know of;).

Things have been lookin grim for the f-35 program for a while, this is recent news below:

http://www.defencetalk.com/pentagon-considers-cancelling-f-35-program-48653/

true, although my argument was more against BIS being so set on subsonic aircraft than pushing for the F-35:) & don't get me wrong I wouldn't be too terribly upset about it if they just put an upgraded version of the harrier or A-10 series in game, I just don't think it would be realistic since many of the other vehicles in game are design/prototype only in real life

They could throw a curveball and we suddenly see a yf-23 make a surprise appearance, or maybe a hybrid concept like mi-48. Unlikely but given BIS's recent pattern wanting to introduce new vehicles with real world counterparts or ideas, it'd be a neat surprise and with me not being a diehard purist, i'd find it interesting. I'm treading dangerously on wishlist territory so I'll end that topic here lol.

Can you believe it? 2035 and the best CAS a/c we have is the 'Buzzard'. Really?

"The Czech Air Force is still the sole operator." Oh thats why...duh.

Can you believe it? 2035 and the best CAS a/c we have is the 'Buzzard'. Really?

"The Czech Air Force is still the sole operator." Oh thats why...duh.

It would be a good match for the airforce of a small country like Altis.

Indeed. The Falkland Islands are 12,173 km^2 so having fast-movers is extremely overkill when Altis is only 270km^2 of landmass and only 900km^2 in total.

I think subsonic and CAS oriented is a nice idea, the Buzzard will be good for low and slow, imo.