kibot

[SP]Dynamic Universal War System (DUWS alpha0.1)

**** NEW TECHNICAL UPDATE FOR DUWS MODIFIED ****

...mostly bug fixes so make sure to replace your old version with this newest one.

New As of April 18th, 2014:

- Player can no longer move about or be injured during teleporting process.

- Addended an official mission version number to the Mission Selection Screen & Briefing so players can more easily know if they're up-to-date; New Official Version as of today is v.1.0 (removed using any version number in file name).

- More minor bug fixes: related to new side mission where the MTV vehicle's action menu item may not show up for certain connected clients.

- More minor bug fixes: related to new side mission's task succeeded/failed HINT message not showing up for connected clients.

- More minor bug fixes: related to new side mission where the MTV vehicle's map marker may not show up for certain connected clients.

- More minor bug fixes: msic. JIP issues.

- Fixed: some minor rpt errors.

*IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT JIP - if you JIP and the host has "revive" enabled but you have no revive option after death

and you keep respawning without your saved weapon kit, the best work-around is to simply close down and reboot arma3 and then rejoin the server again.

JIP DOES work when you do it this way.

DropBox .pbo & Steam Workshop Have Been Updated - Just re-download , install & Have Fun!!

Download Latest Version of DUWS Modified at my DropBox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/arq3nlets1rr9te/BigShots%20DUWS%20Modified%20v1.0.zip

Also At The Steam Workshop:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=222686368

Edited by BigShot

i have tried two times the mission on takistan map ( v 1.4) and for two times the HQ is out the map...

@teolo - takistan is tiny compared to altis so you'll need to use a max distance from HQ setting lower than the default. The default is 5km, so try lowering it to 4km, or 3km...you can go as low as 2k until you find a setting that works for that map....you can also try placing the HQ manuall with a max dist setting at 2.5km which should work....some small maps work better than others. Also use common sense here when it comes to choosing zone size...on a tiny map you obviously dont want large zones spread out far....so try using 500m as your zone size on those small maps. Ive played it on Takistan in the arma3mappack mod and it works ok but takes a little experimeting using those small numbers.

i love this scenario, and thanks for all the efforts put into fixing bugs, but one that stands out and i see and read alot of ppl talking about is the lag after a short time of play, its come to a point where ive reduced the amount of enemy bases to 2 and max size is 1000m, yet i still start to experience lag after an hr or so play, im 90% sure the lag is due to dead units, is there any way you can script dead untis to despawn after a set time say 5 mins or so ? would fix a huge problem and make this scenario alot more enjoyable

i hava a gaming pc thats more than up for the job, i know arma3 in general is demanding but i really want to spend hrs playing the same scenario and not have to keep restarting

keep up the great work

@WolfeUK - Thanks for the appreciation, always good to see ppl enjoying the mission. Doesn't sound like you've played DUWS too much yet though since you havent noticed that dead bodies get deleted every 10 minutes, destroyed vehicles deleted every 5 minutes. This is simply the way arma3 is with very large missions that have tons of non-cached AI and lots of scripting...it's the price you pay for getting the sort of 1 of a kind dynamics that only DUWS provides, and at the same time showcases just about everything arma3 has to offer out of the box, and with no addons required. Take all that plus start adding in some of your addons which you may have enabled and fps/lag is bound to suffer. For some it lags right away yet for others its playable for hours even with fps drops.

I DO feel your pain, and I know that after this latest 1.16 game patch from BIS the fps has seemed to dropped alot as well, for many of us...myself included :-(

Besides the mission itself there are just so many factors that dictate how well or not this game runs that its difficult to make suggestions that will work for all of us, but you can start by trying to turn down some of your game settings to reasonable levels....try not to play with alot of mods enabled when you start arma3 as that will slow you down alot as well...I typically only play with a sound mod and cba. Also it helps to turn down the starting AP on both sides. Try starting at 50AP or even 0. That helps keeps things smoother. Personally even though my fps has dropped alot since the 1.16 game patch I can still play the mission for a few hours at a time with borderline but acceptable results most of the time. Keep in mind if you're hosting in MP with other players connected that will give your machine even more to have to handle and will make things worse. I suggest when playing with others the host should be careful to turn down his game settings alot and run very minimal mods and use a low starting AP.

thanks for the reply BigShot

ive probably done well over 50 hrs on your scenario, as i said i love it, i must admit though i havent noticed any dead bodys or tanks being deleted, i will keep an eye out for that lol

i normally start with my team on 10 but the enemy on 110, this way i get something to shoot at lol, normally 2 zones no more than a 1000m, for me though i feel these settings are right at the bottom end, yet i got a good gaming pc, would love to see a pc that could run this game how you designed the scenario to run lol :D

but its bugging me if the AI do get deleted where the frame drop suddenly comes from, for me it doesnt happen gradually, its sudden, as if they just spawned 300 AI somewhere without anyone seeing them, i can start the scenario at 60fps, then after a hr or sometimes 2 i just suddenly drop to 10fps, when this happened last time i saved it, when i tried loading it i had the game crash with the 'Too many virtual memory blocks requested' come up, yet at the time i was capturing 2 zones, all i had was a small fire team with me ?

i will try to run this scenario with no mods running (yea i do have alot going) and see what happens and report back to you

it does run at the settings i provided...i can play it for hours that way and never get down to 10fps....if youre really getting that low then its either your pc or you are pushing arma3 and the mission way beyond what its designed for im afraid. I can play for 3+ hours starting at 170AP on both sides with 4-5 zones and never get below 25...and most of the time itll be in the 40's and 30's. Yea get rid of the mods maybe, dunno what else to tell you.

**EDIT - also Wolfe, I noticed that you must not be playing my modified version since you posted on the steam workshop for DUWS original, that may be why your destroyed vehicles/bodies are not being removed. Try playing the Modified version instead.

Edited by BigShot

ahhh, was gonna say i played just and purposely noticed dead units where not being deleted, makes sense now, how do i play the modified version, i subscribed to you only a week or so ago ? would i have not got the latest version doing so ?

found it and trying it now, thanks again for your help on this, appreciate it

Edited by WolfeUK

How can I make it use US/Takistani units with AiA Takistan map?

@su27

As for the units I dont think you can.

With changing the map you just need to change the file name of the mission, from Altis to the map you want. (see instruction in OP)

Ok so here's a bit of a bombshell for all of you...there will soon be a performance update for Duws Modified!

It won't be the magic bullet that everyone hopes would allow them to play with 300AI and 10 zones with max settings...BUT, I hope it will improve the severity & duration of fps spike drops well enough so that folks who couldn't seriously play it before will be able to now. It will be in the form of a newly added param option and will limit the game slightly when enabled, but I think there's a crowd out there who will appreciate the small trade-off in exchange for being able to play, or play for longer!

I will post back when I'm ready to release this update.

**** NEW FPS PERFORMANCE UPDATE FOR DUWS MODIFIED ****

...New parameter screen option that turns "normal" Duws into "Duws Lite!" with less AI and much improved fps performance over time.

New As of April 24th, 2014: version 1.1

- New DUWS AI Limiter---> If this option is ENABLED: (plays with less enemy and improved fps/lag, much like a Duws Lite!)

1.Automatically limits the amount of AI (friendly & enemy) that the warcom scripts will spawn into the mission as time passes. The warcom scripts may decide not to spawn any new AI patrols, wave attacks or QRF reinforcements (friendly or enemy) IF it thinks the total amount of living units on the map has risen too high (100-140), and will cache any previous warcom request in waiting. When the total unit numbers drop low enough the warcom cached requests will continue to spawn AI as normal.

2.It will stop you from fortifying FOB's anytime the total number of units in the mission rise to 100+. You can still build the FOB, however, fortifying will have to wait until unit numbers fall back below 100 (use the new AI Info HINT in the Squad Manager screen anytime you like).

3.It will also effect the amount of enemy groups initially spawned into red zones at mission start (approx. 25% fewer enemy at mission start and continued lower amounts as mission continues).

4.The START screen will limit the number of zones you can create to a maximum of 6.

5.The START screen will limit the size of the zones to a maximum of 1,000.

This is not meant to INCREASE fps, but only to help in keeping the fps from spiking downward too low & for too long, therefore allowing longer periods of play at more reasonable fps levels.

**This feature is a new Parameter option that can be toggled on/off in mission's MP lobby screen. It is always "OFF" by default. If you leave it OFF, DUWS plays as normal without any restrictions. Turn it ON and it plays like a Duws Lite with alot less enemy but much smoother play and less or no lag at all. It's your choice!

- New Warcom Spawn HINTS: Hint displays automatically in upper right hand corner of hud whenever the warcom scripts spawn new AI into the mission. Only works when the DUWS AI Limiter is ON in Params menu, and is there as a reminder that the limiter is ON.

- New AI Info HINT: Displays the amount of AI currently alive in the mission. You can use this when the DUWS Limiter is on or off to see how many AI get spawned over time and can also be used to help you to know when it's ok to fortify an FOB or recruit new AI without tanking your fps. This hint is displayed each time you enter the "Squad Manager" screen (which can be accessed anywhere/anytime in action menu once you've accrued 30 persistant experience points).

- More bug fixing: for the green MTV-1 vehicle marker not always showing up after completing side-mission #1. If it remains problematic the script may be changed.

- Warcom script adjustments, to try and reduce the frequency & duration of downward fps spikes under certain conditions.

**A word about AI & performance issues** - in Arma you should always think twice before requesting/spawning more friendly AI into the mission or choosing how many and the size of zones to start with, always use the bare minimum whenever possible, especially vehicles & aircraft which have the worst fps effects. If you're going to request new vehciles do only 1 at a time. Hosting a MP game server also has a large negative effect on your fps. While the mission lets us make our own decisions and play as we like. we must still use common sense here. You shouldn't wonder why you're getting only 20 fps when you have 8+ zones, a bunch of AI vehicles active on the map and 3 more empties waiting back at base :-) Always use caution and get to know what your machine and personal game settings will allow you to get away with in arma.

Re-RELEASED as of April 25th, 2014 at 15:45GMT

due to typo error which caused some enemy not to spawn when zones are created at mission start.

DropBox .pbo & Steam Workshop Have Been Updated - Just re-download , install & Have Fun!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/shae6nybr7e1cd5/BigShots%20DUWS%20Modified%20v1.1.zip

Edited by BigShot

Hey BigShot, is it possible for you to create a friendly fire off?

I made DUWS modified server and people came in, team kills everyone, blew up the HQ killing the command guy and the mission failed.The 50 meter explosion thing is useless.

Waited for a few hours, remade server and they came back ruining everything =(

@EndlessSoldier - the current officer protection works in the majority of such cases where you have a pin-headed game crasher that finds his way onto your server. However, it is not foolproof because in DUWS you wouldnt want a full protective barrier surrounding the HQ as it would break the mission.

The best way to deal with someone trying to ruin your fun is to simply boot/kick them off your server...that happens to work quite well and can be performed by the host from anywhere/anytime in any mission.

hey there BigShot...first of all thanks for this awesome update but...and here's my problem...i cant find an option to ENABLE the AI Limiter and the RESPAWN...please help me out here...:rolleyes:

Not sure what I am not doing but when I save the game in either SP or MP it says it saved the game but starts over next time I start game? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Vengeance

DUWS MODIFIED v1.1 Re-RELEASED today April 25th, 2014 at 15:45GMT

due to typo error which caused some enemy not to spawn when zones are created at mission start.

Please re-download & install if you initlally got v1.1 before the above posted time frame. Sorry folks.

@Vengeance - stop hitting the "restart" button and use the "resume" button instead :-)

@anonxmous - the "parameters" menu button is in the mission's lobby when you start a new LAN or Internet server in-game.

Edited by BigShot

Hi,

Could you please add a little blurb to the 1st post explaining issues with the save system? Searching this thread gives some confusing information. There is this post from Jan 27 2014, 16:15, but it is rather old now and I am not sure it contains up-to-date information. I don't seem to be the only one worrying about game saves.

My concern is that I don't want to waste my time playing SP missions in MP mode because:

* the game won't let me completely remove grass in MP mode

* enemy AI sees through grass and I don't, which requires a lot or saving and reloading to compensate

* MP mode doesn't allow saving

From what I gathered in this thread, kibot's version would allow saving in SP mode, and I seem to remember this being the case when I tried this mission a few months ago. But then something changed and reloading in SP mode would mess up unlocks or something, so saving from the Escape menu was disabled. But then if I save from the radio menu for 1 CP it won't mess up unlocks? I don't understand. (and why make us pay for a basic feature that must always be there?)

Thanks.

@neofit - please download the mission zip from the dropbox link provided for the modified version and simply read through all the changes to get the info you want...or simply try to perform a save & resume in SP if thats all you want to know...will take you all of 45 seconds, yes?

..I could never understand why some people insist on posting about such simple matters which they can clearly test themselves within seconds or minutes...it's as if they'd rather wait hours for an answer?, i don't get that mentality. If you test something that doesn't work they way its documented to work thats one thing...but this is not what you are describing. What you are asking about works just fine if you'd only have tried it first.

Edited by BigShot

..I could never understand why some people insist on posting about such simple matters which they can clearly test themselves within seconds or minutes...it's as if they'd rather wait hours for an answer?, i don't get that mentality. If you test something that doesn't work they way its documented to work thats one thing...but this is not what you are describing. What you are asking about works just fine if you'd only have tried it first.

Please don't go personal if you couldn't even take 5 seconds to understand the question. Why did you even assume I haven't tested anything? I have "BigShots DUWS Modified v1.0.zip" from the 24th. In that version saving is disabled in SP mode. These things don't get disabled by themselves. Your changelog for v1.1 six posts above mine does not say anything about the saving policy being changed. Now how is it that my question about why it is disabled in the Esc menu but appears in the "save for 1 CP" radio option not relevant? Is it a bug, have I done something wrong or is it a matter of policy?

Here is something that would have taken less time than typing a whole paragraph about other people's mentality and them wasting their time ;) :

"Normal saving from the Esc is supposed to work in SP mode"

or

"Normal saving from the Esc is disabled on purpose"

or even a

"it's been fixed in the latest 1.1"

@neofit - there is no v1.0 from 4/24. The pbo which is dated the 24th is 1.1 if you check the zip...regardless (this is a moot point in this case since no "save" changes have been made), here is the quote from the change files on march06:

"- Workshop Version ONLY: old way of saving has been re-enabled so you should now be able to use RESUME in SP Scenario using the Steam Workshop version."

The mission works the same as original duws when it comes to saves, nothing has been changed at this point in that regard. Which is:

If you play the pbo version you must use 0-8-1 (sitrep to make your saves). You can then use "resume" to continue your last saved point.

If you play the workshop version you are allowed to use the normal arma3 way of saving using esc/save, then then use "resume".

The mission "policy" was to prefer players to use the 0-8-1 sitrep as the only way of saving (which is how the pbo version works) BUT for some reason the Steam workshop was not allowing players to resume after saving this way when they played in Scenario mode, SO in order to get the steam workshop version to allow resuming in SP scenario mode it was decided to reinstate the default way of saving missions (esc/save) when playing the steam workshop version.

Also, it is clearly documented (if you have a good read-thru on my workshop page for duws modified) that it is much better to play this mission in LAN or Internet mode and NOT SP scenario. Even though it works ok and runs in scenario mode it was designed to play in LAN/Internet for various reasons including respawn features and other Parameter screen options which you lose in scenario. Play it in LAN and you'll be happier.

PS - also, be aware...that due to bugs and features continually being fixed you should ALWAYS download and ONLY play the very newest release from me. So don't keep playing an older version simply because it might not have any changes you're too interested in...there are many little fixes that sometimes do not even get mentioned in the notes but can effect players in various ways...so just make sure to always update yourself after a new release.

Edited by BigShot

Bigshot,

Thanks for the response "@Vengeance - stop hitting the "restart" button and use the "resume" button instead :-)" I understand that :) your latest modified mission works fine with no save issues, the mission from Steam does not. Problem solved thanks!

@vengeance1 -there are no issues with save/resume for my modified version on steam workshop either. The only difference is that IF you are playing in SP Scenario mode then you should only use esc/save (instead of using 0-8-1 sitrep). You can easily resume in both the pbo & workshop version of Duws Modified.

I'm reposting this here because I'm sure many folks will not check the previous page and know about the latest update:

DUWS MODIFIED v1.1 Re-RELEASED today April 25th, 2014 at 15:45GMT

Please re-download & install if you initlally got v1.1 before the above posted time frame. Sorry folks.

**** NEW & FUN UPDATE FOR DUWS MODIFIED ****

...New side-missions, updated/tweaked the new AI Limiter, and more!

New As of May 3rd, 2014: version 1.2

- 2 NEW SIDE MISSIONS:

1. DEFUSE THE GORGON (#2 on side missions list) - Earn a new Gorgon vehicle AND 200 spendable CP or risk losing ALL OF YOUR CP! You must find the defuse code among the enemy units in the AO (look for action menu item "check his papers"), then locate the boobie-trapped Gorgon to enter the code on its keypad (action menu) and stop it from blowing up within 30 minutes.

2. DO or DIE (#3 on side missions list) - You Must Save Your Commanding Officer. You must go to the AO marked on your map and locate the briefcase which contains the secret defuse code, then make it back to HQ within 30 minutes so you can disarm the bomb before the officer blows up! The briefcase can be anywhere on the ground within the AO! If you are successful you will earn 250 spendable CP, if you are not successful it's Mission Over and you lose at DUWS!

- further tweaks to the new Duws AI Limiter to increase it's stability and reliability; seems to be keeping the mission quite smooth now! Try enabling this AI Limiter, enable Attack Aircraft and turn the AP up to the 200 max setting on the Startup screen and enjoy the mahem at 50+fps for hours!

- increased wait time to 5 minutes in between calls for artillary,jdams,mortar,CBU20

- added a new CP hint to the Squad Manager so you can check your cp whenever/wherever you like.

- removed HQ Officer animation so he stands still now (also because BIS broke the anims which cause rpt sound errors to be spammed, and we dont want that!)

- more price adjustments for some support unlocks

- updated body/vehicle cleanup script

- more misc. rpt error fixes

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y76ynlzuybc2c01/BigShots%20DUWS%20Modified%20v1.2.zip

Edited by BigShot

Hey Thanks for the new Update =)

At the moment, i play the Previous update and i found something odd.

If Helicoper taxi is used to transport me and half of my team, upon landing at destination all team members get disembarked, not only the ones in the taxi, even the ones i left behind i a tank to secure the frontline.

Maybe you can implement a check who is in the Helicopter taxi, or let the player disembark the team from the helicopter taxi manually or something.

Other than that, still my favourite mission :cool: