Sign in to follow this  
stealth2668

Why no NVG in Night showcase?

Before you tell me, I'm aware that they are trying to show the lighting effects. It's still isn't fun when you can't see anything. I'm running around in the dark and notice people like 500 meters away near a truck with the headlights on. I also see guards scattered around patrolling with flashlights I start running closer and they start shooting at me!? How can they see so far when I'm in pitch black yet I can't see anything more than 1 meter in front of my face? Even guys with flashlights are hard to spot because you can see the light on the ground but you can't actually see the guy himself. Unless they skyline you can't see them at all. How can the ai see so well when I can't? Why would a soldier be sent on a night OP without NVG? How is that realistic?

Check you settings, I can see the enemies very well even from afar.

The main problem there is the fog, not the night which is realistic bright with the moon like that.

I tried looking for a brightness slider or something but there doesn't seem to be one? It's ridiculously dark.

There is one for brightness and another one for gamma. Check your driver and monitor settings aswell, default values in-game are no problem for me in that mission.

Because you are a highly trained special operations soldier. You don't need night vision goggles. You have highly advanced retinal implants. ;-)

Seriously, its a Showcase for night and lighting, not green vision. Their purpose is not to show off NVG's.

Because you are a highly trained special operations soldier. You don't need night vision goggles. You have highly advanced retinal implants. ;-)

Seriously, its a Showcase for night and lighting, not green vision. Their purpose is not to show off NVG's.

Actually it's a showcase for getting shot by people I can't see but can see me.

---------- Post added at 17:17 ---------- Previous post was at 17:16 ----------

There is one for brightness and another one for gamma. Check your driver and monitor settings aswell, default values in-game are no problem for me in that mission.

Is it in the video settings menu?

So you can see nice lighting effects :P

Is it in the video settings menu?

Of course.

OK cause i'm 99.78% sure I looked there first and didn't see a slider or something, just drop down menus. I'll have to look better later.

Definitely in the options menu. Look closer it's there!

I also didn't have problems with the Night showcase, I liked it very much.

I agree that the NVG should be part of the showcase - it might not be entirely required to complete it, but it fits the theme. Alternatively a short showcase for snipers in various scenarios (could showcase the time dilation as well for a day/night cycle ambush)

That's also a point. A soldier sent on a mission at night, without NVG? Kind of unrealistic. Plus there could be good lighting effects with NVG and you have the option of turning them off.

Night showcase is stupidly dark.

I had a lot of trouble hitting the guys with the flashlights because all I could see was their lights shining somewhere in front of them and my muzzle flash. I shoot, wait to see shit and suddenly they’ve sprinted a hundred meters further away. At least they didn’t shoot back at all.

Definitely should have nighties in there.

Ya exactly. In my case they would shoot me in the dark long after I broke contact and moved far away. Once I start running they see me from 300 meters away. WTF?

I see them just fine. I don't play in a brightly lit room, and I turn off my second monitor so my eyes can adjust to the darkness better. I haven't changed anything on my brightness/gamma. Possibly my monitor's settings are tweaked so there's a bit more contrast. Anyways, the in game moon/stars give off enough light that I can see clearly. Especially if I stick to higher ground away from the fog. Plus the enemy run around with flashlights. Also, I don't sit still when I engage. I shoot, move, shoot, move. I also create a diversion by blowing up the lighthouse first(draws the enemies towards that hill), then I move down to the valley. I fire off some shots at the camp. Then move up the NW hill and proceed to fire down onto the camp. By that time, they've popped flares in the sky, and are running around with flashlights. So I kill what I can hit, then move to another location. They don't have night vision goggles either, so unless I'm in the light, they can't see me.

I got through it just fine and had no issues seeing my targets and/or avoiding getting shot. The first time I died was because I hijacked one of their trucks and started running them over. Dude came out of a building and shot me up before I could run him down. My second play through I went through without any problems.....well except the weird glitching the enemy A.I. did by the lighthouse camp and the far left camp(Red (!)'s on the map).

Edited by RTEK

It's the other way around when I play.

The problem is not the night. The problem is that AI in Arma 3 is insanely OP.

The problem is not the night. The problem is that AI in Arma 3 is insanely OP.

agreed, ai skill over 0.5 is just madness, function like a hacker.

even set ai skill around 0.2, they still could do an easy standing 600m headshot while i (*we*) prone on the ground, struggle in range determinant and zeroing.

I had a lot of fun, and i think most of it it's because i didn't have NVG, so you have to be more careful, and actually use the light provided by the lighthouse ( which apparently nobody thought that it might be there for a reason? ). And it's a showcase designed to make you experience the improvements in the lighting, which accomplishes well enough.

And if you are having problems with the AI accuracy try not to engage them at ranges you are not comfortable with, had no problem at all.

No problems here, this is in fact my favourite BIS Mission in A³

Me neither, you have three satchel charge use them. Destroy the light sources (lighthouse, grenadiers who can fire flares to the skies)

How does satchel charge help you see? All you can do is adjust brightness in the options since there's no NVG.

How does satchel charge help you see? All you can do is adjust brightness in the options since there's no NVG.

Place a satchel charge, detonate it, big explosion, stuff on fire = you see more!

Place a satchel charge, detonate it, big explosion, stuff on fire = you see more!

That is under the assumption that you know where they are so you can make an explosion nearby (the ones that are walking around all over are hard to spot compared to the ones at camps/roadblocks) which brings me back to my point about adjusting settings to see in the dark. Still would prefer good ol' NVG's.

That is under the assumption that you know where they are so you can make an explosion nearby (the ones that are walking around all over are hard to spot compared to the ones at camps/roadblocks) which brings me back to my point about adjusting settings to see in the dark. Still would prefer good ol' NVG's.

Hi buddy, I wasn't talking about using the satchels to blow up units, I was inferring that you use the satchels to blow up vehicles / buildings etc.