Sign in to follow this  
Pihec

Helicopter landing

I tryed to land the helicopter "airplane style" going about 250km/h, but every time the wheels touch the ground i suddenly crash and die and my helicopter rolls forward.

I think the problem is that wheels are static and aren't "turnable"...so I suggest you make the wheels turnable, so we will be able to land our helicopters like airplanes :)

No helicopter can land at such speed. They can do a taxi landing at moderate speed not that which matches a planes descent/landing speed. 250km/h is too fast for even an A10 to land successfully.

But yes, it seems wheels are static and not animated as seen in flying sims.

I tryed to land the helicopter "airplane style" going about 250km/h,

250 Km/h :Oo:

I tryed to land the helicopter "airplane style" going about 250km/h, but every time the wheels touch the ground i suddenly crash and die and my helicopter rolls forward.[...]

Sorry, I know what you mean, but reading this made me really laugh. It's so good, it's like an intentional joke :D

;2389688']No helicopter can land at such speed. They can do a taxi landing at moderate speed not that which matches a planes descent/landing speed. 250km/h is too fast for even an A10 to land successfully.

But yes' date=' it seems wheels are static and not animated as seen in flying sims.[/quote']

An A-10 could land at 250 km/h, as according to Google that's only 135 knots.

And Fieseler Storch can land at ~50kmh. Beat that :) It's actually a fixed-wing helicopter.

I think they allow upto around 30km speed to land a heli, I know its o.k. around 20km or so, depends on the ground and pilot..;)

well... atleast you've brought a smile upon our faces :)

@zimms: I know...it was hard to formulate the sentance without looking like I am a troll, but I'm glad I made you laugh :)

I didn't really try any other speed. I will build them up slowly and post my findings :)

---------- Post added at 14:32 ---------- Previous post was at 14:15 ----------

Nope...I tryed at 20kmh and 30kmh and still had the same effect. The wheels are static and so as soon as I touch the floor with my wheels, the heli kind of "jams" to the ground and tilts forward.

I also tryed to drive it on the ground like a car and that is also "mission impossibruuuuuu" because of the static wheels :)

Ohhh...nice! Didn't know this was an option :)

We can submit complaints, suggestions, critics via this form?

Well, depending on the surface the heli should just slide along the surface, wheels or not, right? Unless there is enough friction, it should definitely not flip.

I am always landing on the air strip, and there is too much friction as I touch the ground, so i flip forward.

I will try to make a video.

We're not talking about real life here, try landing an A10 at that speed (in this game) and you will damage it's hull etc and/or make it bounce off the runway. <200km/h is the standard speed that offers no damage (or bounce) when landing.

i can land it at over 200km/h using the flight path marker as long as the runway is long enough. you don't even feel the bounce if you come in at ~2 degree's

Just for the record, 130 knots is exactly the A10 landing speed...

Yay!

I think its something they will fix when they concentrate on vehicles.

They are still focused on infantry problems.

For the record in ARMA2 you can land a chopper with wheels up to 20km/h (ingame speed) and it will roll to a halt. (No taxi ability)

Land a helicopter with skids up to about 15km/h and it slides to a halt.

Pretty much any type of landing is borked now and will end damaging the helo more than it should.

Working wheels on helos also are a request from previous games where id didn't work either.

MASSIVE thankyou to BIS for the latest Dev patch for adressing the above issue. It seems we can finally land helicopters with a little more leeway than we could before. It seems the shock absorbers are finally working, and I'm no longer getting injured and orange instrument damage from a 2m drop to land. Whether its realistic or not, it's making my job a bit more forgiving and enjoyable (Especially without dedicated repair units).

..either that or nothings changed, I'm imagining things and just cannot believe Im getting better. I assume it's the patch! ;)

Edited by Marcai

They fixed it a little. It is better than before, but still. It seems my wheels are on some sort of suspensions to cusion the landing. And as soon as the suspension "contracts" to the max, my heli still starts to flip forward. I tryed this at about 20kmh. So still wheels don't perform as they should and I think they are still static when you put all the weight of the heli on them.

flight model in A3 is not final, they stated they were going to use the ToH flight model. thats why helis can fly upside down too, well at least were until the last patch hehe

They fixed it! Now you can land with 250kmh with no problem :D

It just fucks up all your heli...engine and wheels are completly red and engine stops working :)

Just for the record, 130 knots is exactly the A10 landing speed...

Yay!

Not every A-10 lands at exactly 130 knots every time, that would only be suggested speed in the manual. It fluctuates and 135 is WELL WITHIN what an A-10 is capable of and no doubt many A-10s land at 135 every single day...

Yay!

I have to hope they put the gear of jets on helicopters, which will allow helicopters to land at slow speeds like an airplane.

I don't see why they haven't done this yet, just put a non static gear on helicopters so it could possibly taxi/land.