Sign in to follow this  
LauryThorn

Rl: wars, survival..

I was just wondering..

When you play OFP, you die every once in a while (at least i do).

So what if you would have to participate in a war..

What do you think are your chances to "actually make it out in one piece"?

Do you think that survival would be more likely than it is in OFP,

do you think that your enemies would be less skilled than in the game and so on.

Does anyone have statistics of wars, I mean how many of soldiers comes back

in a box.

I mean the soldiers that do the actual fighting in the "frontline".

In Finland's last wars in 1939-1945, about 20% of all soldiers died,

but that includes all the soldiers, not just the frontline guys.

Give your 2 cents, doesn't matter if it's USD cent or EURO cent, they

are nowadays equal anyway.. tounge.gif

My chances would be around 0% sad.gif

/Edit: Probably because I wouldnt feal right sitting and hiding somewhere in a bunker if tree of my brother of arms went out to be killed. I just think im too aggressive and proud to ever come out alive of a war.

It depends what you mean by a war, around 250,000 British service men died in WWII, and one in Sierra Leone.

Sweden's only possible real threat in modern times has been Russia in all its different forms. The Swedish military has no chance of winning so the strategy is to make the first few days count and maximize initial damage to the aggressor. The enemy knowing this would hopfully realise that they could take Sweden but that it would cost them and that they have more to loose then what they would gain with an occupation.

My current position if it comes to war (krigsplacering - don't know really how to translate it correctly - war placement or something) is with a unit that is supposed to be active far longer then the average unit. It also means that the probability of survival is far lower.

This is something i have thought about alot, since im joining the army and maybe even making a career out of it.

I guess i wont find out until im in the shit and getting my ass fired at.

BTW as we dont have cents in Denmark you can have this 25 řre tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 23 2002,05:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sweden's only possible real threat in modern times has been Russia in all its different forms. The Swedish military has no chance of winning so the strategy is to make the first few days count and maximize initial damage to the aggressor. The enemy knowing this would hopfully realise that they could take Sweden but that it would cost them and that they have more to loose then what they would gain with an occupation.

My current position if it comes to war (krigsplacering - don't know really how to translate it correctly - war placement or something) is with a unit that is supposed to be active far longer then the average unit. It also means that the probability of survival is far lower.<span id='postcolor'>

It all depends on how you define 'winning'.

An enemy might occupy Sweden by force, but there is little chance of them ever owning it. There are too many strong-willed, capable Swedes who know how to use firearms and survive without the creature comforts that most people are used to, and they would likely fight a non-conventional war that would ensure that the aggressor would never be able to feel secure.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Espectro @ July 23 2002,06:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My chances would be around 0% sad.gif

/Edit: Probably because I wouldnt feal right sitting and hiding somewhere in a bunker if tree of my brother of arms went out to be killed. I just think im too aggressive and proud to ever come out alive of a war.<span id='postcolor'>

Oh sure we all like to pretend we're heros and how we'd John Wayne it through a war but I doubt anyone would do that in real life unless they were severely infulenenced by drugs.

Firefights are real. Real bullets. Real bullets aimed at you. Trying to kill you.

I remember my first time playing paintball (bad example - they dont kill you)

I didn't play with a mask and it was night and rainy and we were playing in woods. It was hot. I remember trying to stay still, so I wouldn't get heard. I remember hearing paintballs being shot, hitting trees around me. I thought about the people who do it in real life. Ya its scary when the paintballs hit your next to your head, but what if those were bullets?

my chance would be around 100%.

no army in world will recruit glue-eating dumbass who will more likely cause friendly fire. tounge.gif

on serious note, I doubt if i can survive more than 1 day in front line. sad.gif

0% chance. I honestly think i would shit myself after the first bullet whizzed past my head.

after ive finished officer school they remembered to tell me that 1Lts' (infantry) most likely to die in the first minute of the fight.......... tounge.gif

go figure, spend so much time and money for a whole minute biggrin.gif

Well it all depends what kind of war it is, if it is a conventional war i'll give myself 20% chance

To many factors playing into, you cant really calculate something like this...a straying bullet or shrapnel might put your life to an end, an accident, friendly fire or what not.

Todays weapon systems are more efficiant and lethal than they ever had been, sensors and surveillance systems are so sophisticated that you have practically hardly a place to hide. If 2 armies of the same force strength, setup and technologys would clash, deaths would be very rapid i guess.

I'd give myself a 50% chance of survival, cause theres only two things that are going to happen to me, I am gonna make it or die.

To many variables to know what the real chances are. Friendly fragging, schrapnel, stepping on a mine, or the stray bullet just plain laying you on your back.

Have you,or anyone here, ever had a real bullet pass by you, I have, not in any form of combat. I was hunting whitetail deer on our property, we had just completed a drive of a creek bottom to push deer to standers. The drive was completed, I was standing in the middle of a open field, with bright blaze orange on. Then I heard a gun start unloading, I watched as a small doe jumped the property fence and was running in my general direction. That's when I saw a blaze orange dot about 200 meters away in a open field on the nieghboring property, and thats when I realized the bullets where traveling in my general direction, needless to say I could here them pass my head and saw one hit the ground about 25 meters in front of me. I never laid on the ground so flat in all my life. I did'nt get up for about 5 minutes after the shooting ended. I only got up because I heard my father and brothers start chewing ass on the guy who had shot in my general direction. The shooter high tailed it out of sight. I finally got up and walked back to the truck. Put my gun in the case, dropped the tailgate and proceded to get drunk as shit.(Up till that point I had not had one drop, I do not hunt and drink, too dangerous.) I have never in my life been so scared, I was shaking so bad I could hardly lift a beer to my mouth. All I can say is, I hope to god I never have another bullet pass my general direction.

I did find out a few weeks later who the shooter was, that is a different story all by itself. I will say he has stayed very far away from me since our little chat.

Luck. tounge.gif

If I have bad luck I won't survive a minute. With good luck, you never know.

biggrin.gif

In the Vietnam war, the average life expectancy of a 2cnd Lt. dropped in a Hot LZ was around 15minutes. In a modern convetional war between NATO and a Russia with a fully trained and armed army, not just poorly trained conscipts it would be hot. As a front line NATO soldier in the infantry been attacked by the Russians with a force twice your size, I would predict your life expectancy would be the time from the Russians start line till they reached your lines. This is assuming that this is an attcak mounted at the start of the war with fresh troops preceded with an artillery bombardment and maybe helicopter support. An armoured thrust against your lines with only minimal amount of armour compard to the Russians on your side would mean a rapid break through of defences and propebly no escape for our young NATO hero unless they made a brilliant stand and threw the Russians back. Even then, the Russians would come again until the overan you.

most of you underestimate themselves ......

Just like they have "Survival Ratios" for nuclear detonations. There are also Ratios for casualty rates of soldiers in standard combat.

It is based upon information gathered from past conflicts, but as already stated, these ratios are completely useless, as there are hundreds of other factors to be taken into account in combat.

Plus, if any of you were actually in combat, it would mean you would have had actual training, rather than one mission to get used to the keyboard layout you selected.

It just remember me the words my NBC instructor give us zt the last of his lesson:

"I only hope if they launch nuke to be in a 5Km radius of one... to not suffer"

I clearly dunno but for survivor it ll be very hard and very sad *and yes i m against Nuke-type weapon even if i m french tounge.gif *

Normally if i m called to war i ll be send with a conglomerate of paratrooper troop reservist in Brittany to replace loss in 2 elite paratrooper and sea trooper (11Äme choc et 3Äme RIMA)...Well since my knowledge of paratroopers means only to be activ at least 3 days before beeing destroyed or surrender: i ll not be very optimistic sad.gif

Depends on who I'm fighting. I call it 75% for me. I can do what's asked of me... I stay low... And beat the living crap out of my opponent!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And beat the living crap out of my opponent<span id='postcolor'>

And I'm 95% sure that your enemies will think that, too! biggrin.gif

Thanks for your opinions..

I have thought it so that if I would survive the first fight, and get

somehow used to combat, then the chances might be somehow good,

depending on the opponent, too, of course.

But I feel that if first-time-in-combat guys would face experienced troops

or battle-seen troops, the death rate would be horrible.

And of course, there is always this random factor, like if you are in the

wrong place at the wrong time, you get a mortar round on your back..

"war isn't fun."

I think I heard once, that in an infantry battle the expected loss ratio would be about 70%. I guess, this is dead and wounded and maybe scared to death sitting in the deepest hole alltogether. However, I don't know the circumstances, eg. two enemies running toward each other or an assault on an entrenched position or whatever... Without such informations, any number is pretty much useless...

Edit: A little googling around and I found this interesting link: Principals of military psychiatry

Okay, it does not cover the original intent of this thread but it still gives some interesting numbers like this: one psychiatric case on 4 wounded soldiers (under given circumstances)...

Another link with some casualties statistics from WW1&2:

Skill and technology in modern warfare

Can someone please explain the table on page 5 about the TBC/km^2/hour?

There is little chance that untrained citizens without even the least bit of military service would be pressed into battle.

Thus, a large portion of the people in this forum would probably find themselves as part of a Resistance movement instead. They would receive some limited weapons training, and probably be given a rifle, and then expected to participate in small hit-and-run ambushes and harrassment attacks. Provided that the person commanding the group knows what he/she is doing and picks the fights carefully, the chance of survival is actually pretty good.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WhoCares @ July 24 2002,01:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Can someone please explain the table on page 5 about the TBC/km^2/hour?<span id='postcolor'>

TBC=Total Battle Casualties per 1000 troops engaged.

Well, I'm 95% sure that this thread is about 65.2% meaningless.

War and what happens in it can't be predicted on anything other than a strategic level.