Sign in to follow this  
killzone_kid

Any chance for default melee weapons?

No, no, no and FFS for the last time NO !

Are you by any chance related?

No melee weapons please. Kthx.

Also why is the dude in the video killing a civilian who is clearly suffering from the ear damage and deafness? Has he no respect for such people?

Lets see some melee weapons, why not. With the right mods they would be very difficult to use though (hearing), but would add to stealthy missions.;).

Lets see some melee weapons, why not.

i totally agree. what would be the problem? it wouldn't automatically mean that everyone would use them all the time. it would be so great to expand the military simulation thing into past scenarios like the medieval times.

the problem here is the animation system though (like i described in the stealth kill thread). weapon specific animations are full body animations in arma which is VERY unfortunate. so what you have in the anim config is one tree (or rather major branch) for rifles, one for pistols, one for rocket launchers and one for being unarmed (also binos but that's not many anims) . so just adding one weapon would mean having to make a whole new set of animations for it. so EVERY animation that can be performed holding a weapon in general. unfortunately the whole engine is based around those preset weapon types. arma has a very restricted view of what a weapon is.

the best way is still what you did there which looks a whole lot like the dayZ approach. custom holding anim combined with an attack gesture.

all that is not taking proper damage handling into account. so sadly i don't see BI investing any time into it, which is frankly understandable given the circumstances.

Are you by any chance related?

NoNoNoNoNo ... although you can stroke me and see ;)

i totally agree. what would be the problem? it wouldn't automatically mean that everyone would use them all the time. it would be so great to expand the military simulation thing into past scenarios like the medieval times.

the problem here is the animation system though (like i described in the stealth kill thread). weapon specific animations are full body animations in arma which is VERY unfortunate. so what you have in the anim config is one tree (or rather major branch) for rifles, one for pistols, one for rocket launchers and one for being unarmed (also binos but that's not many anims) . so just adding one weapon would mean having to make a whole new set of animations for it. so EVERY animation that can be performed holding a weapon in general. unfortunately the whole engine is based around those preset weapon types. arma has a very restricted view of what a weapon is.

the best way is still what you did there which looks a whole lot like the dayZ approach. custom holding anim combined with an attack gesture.

all that is not taking proper damage handling into account. so sadly i don't see BI investing any time into it, which is frankly understandable given the circumstances.

Well a set of melee animations would have been great but realistically adding a single combat knife would have been sufficient to satisfy both pro and cons the idea.

don't get me wrong i'm not saying "won't happen. stop asking!". just speculating on how likely it is to happen. we an only hope:)

Well a set of melee animations would have been great but realistically adding a single combat knife would have been sufficient to satisfy both pro and cons the idea.

And how would said combat knife work in ArmA?

i´m amazed most people here are unaware of this vote: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=2714

and apparently most people do want some sort of melee. thus i see no reason not to have a couple of melee animations, but i would be happy enough with a knockback using current weapon though.

Seems fairly unrealistic and a lot of extra animation work.

i´m amazed most people here are unaware of this vote: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=2714

Why are you amazed that people are unaware of that vote? I think most people are unaware of the tracker!

Votes for features is always a bit odd because when you offer something for free, few people turn it down, even if they aren't really that interested in it.

Wanna bet those people will complain if it's anything but magical silent one-hit knives that never fail to kill instantly?

It's impossible to make brawling in a game like ArmA without turning it into a silly QTE fest.

I'd like to see some sort of melee option, but not for combat. I'd like to be able to use the stock of my rifle to smash a window prior to throwing a grenade through it.

Why are you amazed that people are unaware of that vote? I think most people are unaware of the tracker!

Votes for features is always a bit odd because when you offer something for free, few people turn it down, even if they aren't really that interested in it.

ii think that a lot of links when searching for information about arma 3 lead back to the alpha website/hub and the tracker is very clear there, its even above the forum. but i do tend to give people more credit than i should. and once aware of the tracker this vote in particular is one of the most voted, so you dont really even need to search for it.

i kind of agree, but, since also a lot of people voted against female models, that kind of takes the weight of your argument. but who knows, maybe helping people to be more aware of this vote in particular will make it get downvoted as much as the female model one.

i just think this one in particular is lacking, im not saying arma cant live without melee, since it did, but would be great if it had any. dont think theres any logical cons to it, soldiers all over are trained and carry knifes, they are trained in martial arts and close quarters combat, it is kind of standard. i think the south korean army still trains taekwondo even (yeap they apparently still do

). well no cons not considering the development effort that is.

but ultimately i have to agree that the most probable behaviour would be to upvote a new feature.

since silent weapons do not currently exist, both a silent way to kill and a melee attack to disable without killing, for lets say, making a stealth incursion into a compound and taking an enemy into custody for interrogation, would add a lot of possibilities for mission making. imho

Edited by white

When you run out of ammo you are dead without melee weapons. So yeah please add them. It's not that hard to do. You will just have to make animations and that's it. Killzone_Kid showed us fully working melee weapon just with bad animation. So It's possible. In singleplayer it would be awesome and could be used for breaching windows too..

Bayonet charge? Sure!

COD knife? Hell naw.

This seems like something that would be difficult enough to do well that it just shouldn't be done. Except via mods, of course.

and apparently most people do want some sort of melee. thus i see no reason not to have a couple of melee animations, but i would be happy enough with a knockback using current weapon though.

Thanks for the link, upvoted!

i think the south korean army still trains taekwondo even (yeap they apparently still do
)

LOL

When you run out of ammo you are dead without melee weapons. So yeah please add them. It's not that hard to do. You will just have to make animations and that's it. Killzone_Kid showed us fully working melee weapon just with bad animation. So It's possible. In singleplayer it would be awesome and could be used for breaching windows too..

All credit goes to Rocket. With right animation and proper Melee weapon class it is very possible. I think BIS should have a whole bunch of animations included with ArmA 3 for mod makers even if they are not used in game. They have MoCap we don't.

i kind of agree, but, since also a lot of people voted against female models, that kind of takes the weight of your argument.

Those kind of votes are always confounded by peoples' political views. At least, the discussions always turn very political.

dont think theres any logical cons to it, soldiers all over are trained and carry knifes, they are trained in martial arts and close quarters combat, it is kind of standard. i think the south korean army still trains taekwondo even. well no cons not considering the development effort that is.

Well, a con is that I've never really played an FPS that had any kind of satisfying hand to hand combat system- even the ones that take place in some kind of fantasy setting where your primary weapons are hand to hand weapons! I would really rather they just leave out anything that sucks.

Edited by Max Power

Cant understand anyone against more models, anims, and items. If you don't want to use them then don't but the more in the game the better.

Cant understand anyone against more models, anims, and items. If you don't want to use them then don't but the more in the game the better.

I'd rather have a functional game than a quagmire with ALL TEH THINGZ. If it can be done without compromising anything else, sure. But it is so unimportant to the general scope of Arma that I think it should be left alone.

the south korean army still trains taekwondo even

That's it. I demand ArmA3 to have taekwondo animations since real world soldiers are trained to use such combat style. If you don't like using taekwondo in your ArmA then don't but the more in the game the better.

Why is it that the second that one 'I wantz melee!' disappears off the first page another one pops up? Considering all other ones get locked eventually, can't mods set a rule to immediately lock these stabby threads?