Sign in to follow this  
Gattobuono

Ladder Animation and Sound

I ran into this while having fun climbing the radio towers for some evil camping in wasteland. It indeed feels a bit weird when climbing. Glad to know Smookie is on the case!

While we're on the subject of ladders. Would it be possible to add a slide down feature? It's hard to flee from a tower under fire when your guy is taking his sweet time going down the ladder haha. Can always give a damage penalty if done from too high.

Any thoughts?

I had some plans for this but this probably will become a nonofficial mod as it will not look decent enough (or make sense in terms of immersiveness).
Wait, you mean Arma 3 may not natively have ladders and units able to climb up ladders or other objects???

Would you mind to re-read this post and the quote in it? They are talking about a "slide ladder down" feature...

Just removing the action to click would help the ladder issue a bunch. In the middle of the action, run at the ladder... click then continue pushing up it. I would say facing the ladder plus or minus 5 or 10 degrees left or right you start going up it. Down is more of an issue - don't have a good idea for that.

Havent yet get to ladders really and the current ingame system is not helping. Definately i will research possible solutions to make more immersive.

Check bounding box of the ladder along the Z-axis or (vertical); if the person is near the top, then transition the animation to one that is more fitting :)

Not a single one showing third person ladder climbs, come back when you have a solution for that. ;)

Well I never play in third person. I thought Arma was meant to be 'realistic', how is 3rd person realistic? However I'm sure it'll be easy to find something.

Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C86vOYeUQMc

Edited by Gattobuono

Well I never play in third person. I thought Arma was meant to be 'realistic', how is 3rd person realistic? However I'm sure it'll be easy to find something.

Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C86vOYeUQMc

My point is that the animations are based in third person, in first you just get to see it from your own eyes perspective.

My point is that the animations are based in third person, in first you just get to see it from your own eyes perspective.

Yes exactly this. The convenience (and difficulty) in using your characters actual world model and animations for first person, is that you don't have to create 2 sets of animations for one action. What you see in first person is what everyone sees around you. This is great in helping ground the player into the world and immersing them as the character they have control over.

The problem is making these animations look right from people observing the character climb the ladder, and the player controlling that character climbing up the ladder at the same time. It has to look right for both and that's pretty tough to do. I'm confident they can handle it and I expect by release these ladder glitches should be fully resolved, as this particular release of Arma is putting a heavy emphasis on animations. Maybe by beta we'll get them fixed.

One thing that I noticed on those comparison video's is that Arma is the only one where the character animation is actually grabbing at the steps with his hands.. All the other ones, the hands are grabbing at the side of the ladder

01:02:22 Edited by NodUnit

The problem with the transition when on the top of the ladder is that sometimes i want to watch what is over the ladder, so if there is such animation the player should have control over it

One thing that I noticed on those comparison video's is that Arma is the only one where the character animation is actually grabbing at the steps with his hands.. All the other ones, the hands are grabbing at the side of the ladder

I talked about that a page or two back, I was taught to use the sides for my trade. Stops you falling to your death if someone went up before you with muddy feet.

Wow, now that's what I call a ladder!

I remember watching HBO's The Pacific. The troops were trained to climb down the rope ladders on the side of ships into landing craft with their hands on the verticals so that they didn't get their fingers trodden on by people climbing down above them. Makes sense.

The thing that all these videos demonstrate is that good ladder animations have been done many times for a while now. For me, the fewer things that spoil my sense of immersion the better. As it is at the moment the ladder animation, 1st or 3rd person, is a failure. And BI have already shown us how much they can improve the animations.

1. Why do I have to press a key to climb a ladder, can't I just walk up to the ladder and climb it as is the case in most contemporary fps'?

Ahem... I wouldnt say ArmA is in FIRST Person Shooter category

Wow, now that's what I call a ladder!

Well, THIS is what I call a ladder :D

XzgAm1tyo1g

Ahem... I wouldnt say ArmA is in FIRST Person Shooter category

So does that exclude it from having a good ladder animation.

Whether is an fps or not is a matter of opinion, and is irrelevant to this thread.

My body was freaking out just watching it, I think I'd piss myself if the wind started blowing.

I really wish I hadn't seen that!:butbut: