Sign in to follow this  
Sneakson

Shooting around corners

Hey, what do you guys think about being able to stick your weapon around a corner and shooting without exposing yourself?

tom-clancys-ghost-recon-2-20040920040447334.jpg

In Gears of War this is possible with any weapon while in Ghost Recon I remember it only being possible with a weapon with a gun cam installed.

I've already seen a feedback request for it here:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=6840

Response seems negative but I think the request originally was also for a cover system but now it's only for "blindfiring."

I believe blindfiring is realistic in high pressure situations while at the same time some players would probably think it's not fair to have enemies be able to shoot you without exposing themselves.

It's important to keep in mind though that blindfire would be blind and considering how precise weapons are in ARMA it would be hard to hit anything unless you knew were it was.

I personally think it's very interesting and I've been seeing a lot of AI do it in videogames over the past few years and I like it.

Typically it still exposes the arms of your enemy and if they're behind cover you can usually get to a better position and snipe them straight across their cover.

learn to use lean.

Doesn't cut it and doesn't go over obstacles either.

With the new stances and especially the prone lean, I don't really see a need for this.

With the new stances and especially the prone lean, I don't really see a need for this.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. ARMA usually doesn't do a lot of city fighting the way many other games do and there's usually big units of players fighting each other that might as well just flank.

Not to mention that there are grenades, grenade launchers and so on to hit targets non-directly. Still I was thinking it could be a nice feature for anyone who just wants to pump a clump of enemies full of lead like a troll boss.

I guess if anyone really wants this it will be a mod pretty quickly too.

Ah, the good old 'Beirut unload'.

Alternatively you could just empty the gun straight up into the air, for very much the same effect on target.

Actually, for recreating realistic scenario's I've just realised you do kind of need this....seeing as how often it does indeed get used IRL (surprisingly, given that the usual effect is only to make the person firing feel better and nothing else).

Ah, the good old 'Beirut unload'.

Alternatively you could just empty the gun straight up into the air, for very much the same effect on target.

Actually, for recreating realistic scenario's I've just realised you do kind of need this....seeing as how often it does indeed get used IRL (surprisingly, given that the usual effect is only to make the person firing feel better and nothing else).

Well, lets not forget that hitting your tagets is the only thing to firing a gun! Suppression is just as important.

I'm just going to leave this post from March 25th here:

I need a clearance for this, i would pretty much like to have blindfire in vanilla, alltough I understand it complicates the controls even further which is perhaps thing to avoid with already complicated adjust posture system. If implementation of this additional feature does not work however, i suggest you best wait :)

Smookies SMK mod for A2OA allready had this - I wouldn't mind if this would be added too.

@Chortles

Ah good catch

Blind fire would be nice but only if it mirrrors the high inaccuracy you would run into due to not settling the weapon.

Considering the idea of blindfiring for 'suppressing fire', why the hell not I say.

• Like 1

Yeah -- why not. Only problem is naturally if people don't like it and it becomes the default setting for all servers in which case modders will have to remove it and everyone will have to get that particular mod to play the fun servers.

ARMA isn't like Battlefield though, so any feature we don't like we could mod in and any feature we don't like we could mod out. It's still important to create a strong base game though so newcomers starting up a server won't get blindsniped in seconds and scared off.

Vote either way.

No one said anything about blindsniping, now did they. ;) But yeah, I can't help but believe that this tussle is over the defaults...

only for insurgents, civilians and other "independent" factions because developed militaries have rules of engagement.

this is a military combat SIMULATOR, so i argue, why not SIMULATE the things that people can do, and DO in real life... They have guns (modern) that literally bend around corners.. why not apply blind fire in a game that is once again simulating a warzone... In arma 2 i used SMK alot just for the blind fire.. because its a real tactic....!!

link to a short video of a bending gun...

so if not blind fire.. bending guns.. they are both real tactics/tactical weapons..... i mean there are 3 shot gernade launchers .. in the game , why not blind fire...

"blind sniping"?? really where do you guys come up with this stuff.. if your blind firing and happen to hit an enemy, and they get mad about it .. maybe they shouldn't play a combat simulator.....

in summation................. LUVIES!

Edited by Lordprimate

In modern conflict with ROE and PID being enforced at least in the British army, blind firing is certainly NOT encouraged and could even get a soldier in trouble.

Yeah right, Beirut FCO is a tactic used by militaries.

blind sniping?Is that possible?

Some time, some where I'm pretty sure some bad boy sniper has hit something living without having his eyes open as he pulled the trigger :p

In modern conflict with ROE and PID being enforced at least in the British army, blind firing is certainly NOT encouraged and could even get a soldier in trouble.

Actually, yes, I think I've heard about blind firing being discouraged since you obviously don't know what you're going to hit (children, exploding barrels, Daft Punk)... still I would doubt it's strictly prohibited in any situation.

strict enough to have an effect. anything that has a low occurrence of happening in modern warfare shouldn't be simulated. things like jumping or blind fire definitely will happen in war, but they happen so little, it'd be a waste of time simulating it. not to mention i don't want to see everyone blind firing all the time as this will bound to happen once you introduce a never before seen feature.

and frankly i don't know why everyone still uses the "i cna do it in real life argument", it's been debunked and ridiculed so much you'd think it'd become part of common sense that's a garbage argument. you can also take dumps in real life. you want that in the game? maybe you do.

strict enough to have an effect. anything that has a low occurrence of happening in modern warfare shouldn't be simulated. things like jumping or blind fire definitely will happen in war, but they happen so little, it'd be a waste of time simulating it. not to mention i don't want to see everyone blind firing all the time as this will bound to happen once you introduce a never before seen feature.

and frankly i don't know why everyone still uses the "i cna do it in real life argument", it's been debunked and ridiculed so much you'd think it'd become part of common sense that's a garbage argument. you can also take dumps in real life. you want that in the game? maybe you do.

Shouldn't you be on a ledge somewhere? When was the idiot-proof "I can do it in reality" argument ever debunked?

Considering blind firing happens in just about every video game for the past several years and in most action movies at some point I don't really see the irrationality of it besides not being to any effect outside of CQB.

I can definitely imagine it being a common occurrence in war and I wouldn't think otherwise unless someone who's actually fought in a war or two were to tell me something otherwise.

Naturally it wouldn't be something you ordered your men to do like "Hey Johnson stick your gun around that corner and try to hit that sniper 800 meters ahead."

Jumping should be a given when you have to move through a city area quickly considering how many fences (read: indestructible walls of unclimbability) there are in cities anyways.

I wouldn't mind at all if the basic human needs were simulated: eating, drinking, sleeping and temperature... I can't see hygiene simulated in a modern military game though and taking dumps must -- never -- be simulated in a videogame.

However since this game uses a 1:1 time scale such needs would come into play so extreme rarely that would be a waste to program.

Jumping, climbing, now those are just basic tools for getting through city areas where you can't walk out in the open street without getting shot.

And the only reason jumping has a bad name is because some idiots think BIS are stupid enough to allow for meter high bunnyhopping nonstop while shooting and reloading at the same time without draining stamina.

Edited by Sneakson

no, jumping gets a bad name because everyone with an iq over room temperature knows it's a pointless waste of resources to implement. and climbing/mantling(not implemented) and stepping over things already accomplishes what a realistic jump would do, and in a much better and less visually jarring way. also, climbing and jumping would be redundant as climbing/mantling accomplishes everything jumping would, and much more.

also, even a realistic jump(where you hop over a rock or gap) would look ridiculous if everyone had the ability to use it at all times. same as blind fire.

i think bis wants to simulated "proper" military tactics where roe matters. maybe they should implement weapon resting and bipod usage, which is very common in battle, before they add this ridiculous feature.

i like how you call everyone stupid that thinks jumping is a valid action... "jumping gets a bad name because everyone with an iq over room temperature knows it's a pointless waste of resources to implement. " nice one there.. so anyone that thinks jumping is usefull has a low IQ.. Hmmmm..

I especially like how you compare jumping and climbing and say there the same and accomplish the same thing.(but some how you talk about others having a low IQ). how sow? you cant jump up a ladder .. you have to climb it.. You can't just jump up a wall, however, you can jump up to get a grip on the top, and climb over it.. a step over is slow and unrealistic if you were under fire.. Are you going to stop and slow step over a short obstacle that you cant go around... or are you going to take a running start and hop/vault over it as to reduce the possibility of BEING SHOT.. I guess that concept must be lost on use people with IQ lower then room temp...

Especially the fact if I don't have to expose my body to bullets and stay in cover, I am not going to.. and I will blind fire if i think it will accomplish my goal of killing an enemy i know is right around a corner or otherwise behind cover that i can reach around and shoot at them... again with out exposing my body

And I also like how some random British unit is quoted as "discouraging" blind fire.. and suddenly its a military LAW, that All Armies Follow, and do now allow their subordinates to blind fire.. hilarious.. to say the least. Your argument Seamus Is weak .. Please just stop posting.. As every time you do you lower IQ of the forums collectivly!!

And since i know its a real tactic i am going to go and scearch the web for photos or video of its use.. and i have already found one in a 5 second search

http://in.5thvillage.com/p/257987738148349608_8848912/

its not completely a blind fire but you as you can see US marines do it in war...but then again according to you he just has a really low IQ..

Edited by Lordprimate

i'm just responding in kind. if i was replying to a guy who finished highschool, i would have certainly left out the vitriol.