Sign in to follow this  
frostshazzy

Problems of RCO/ACRO sights.

The RCO"[ACRO-deleted, confirm no problems]" sights "bullet drop" have some issues.

first, the horizontal line (4,6,8) supposed to fit the shoulder width.

For example: 400 meters far, align the line that have number 4 to your target's shoulder, it should be completely fit.

and the bullet drop didn't fit the "number" line too.

When target is at 400m, when i use line "4" to shoot at him, the bullet drops around 425-450m. Then when i sightly move down my sight, using the 3/4 part between red dot and line"4", the bullet hit the target at 400m.

Edited by frostshazzy

Remember those sights are zeroed around 300 meters. So if you spot a target at 400m, you should aim at the 100 meter mark. Follow this rule: distance to target - sight zero = aim point. You can also re-zero your sights using the weapon zero keys (default page up/page down) and then your point of aim will be your point of impact. Using the marks on the scope is good for finding the range to the target, but you have to take into account the default zero on the scope for the bullet to go where you want it to go. If you want to use the marks on the scope for range and also bullet drop, zero your sight at 100m.

PS: if I explained something wrong or not correctly enough, anyone feel free to correct me.

Actually, to my possibly-outdated knowledge only iron sights and the grenade launcher's red dot sight are adjustable, the (other) optics have a fixed zero and the number is merely displaying that distance.

Remember those sights are zeroed around 300 meters. So if you spot a target at 400m, you should aim at the 100 meter mark. Follow this rule: distance to target - sight zero = aim point. You can also re-zero your sights using the weapon zero keys (default page up/page down) and then your point of aim will be your point of impact. Using the marks on the scope is good for finding the range to the target, but you have to take into account the default zero on the scope for the bullet to go where you want it to go. If you want to use the marks on the scope for range and also bullet drop, zero your sight at 100m.

PS: if I explained something wrong or not correctly enough, anyone feel free to correct me.

What i mean the Line "4" are the line with a number 4 on its right side, which means to use this line shot at the targets at 400m.

i did a retest on the game, and i realized the ARCO that OPfor soldiers use are perfectly correct, and able to hit the targets accurately, but the RCO sight that BULfor soldiers use, i compare it to the ARCO, and it was like what i said, the bullet drop are not accurate, however the RCO sight feels like the definition is around 3.4x instead of 4x.(So maybe that's why it wasn't accurate?)

---------- Post added at 16:57 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

another thing, you can't zero the any rifle in arma3 Alpha, there are no sniper optics yet in Arma3 Alpha.

Edited by frostshazzy

You're thinking of something like a Mil-Dot scope. Frost is talking about optics like the ACOG.

Trijicon_ACOG_TA31F.jpg

The numbers next to those lines are range in units of 100 meters. At 400 meters the line next to the 4 should match up with the shoulder width of a human target and line up with the bullet's point of impact (notice how the spacing increases as you approach 700 and 800 meters).

"Actually, to my possibly-outdated knowledge only iron sights and the grenade launcher's red dot sight are adjustable, the (other) optics have a fixed zero and the number is merely displaying that distance."

the RCO in Arma3 are zeroing fixed at 300m, but the bullet drop are ridiculous. using line "4" for shooting the target at 350m? that's how RCO works in Arma3, which i thought as a BUG.

Not necessarily a bug, as god knows what not-yet-in-game-weapon those sights were meant for (after all, the bullet drop would only fit when using the scope on the weapon it was designed for, so if the sights were designed for 5.56 but the 6.5 drops more than 5.56...). But definitely not what you would expect from a sight that comes with the weapon (at least when using some of the pre-made weapon classnames).

Not necessarily a bug, as god knows what not-yet-in-game-weapon those sights were meant for (after all, the bullet drop would only fit when using the scope on the weapon it was designed for, so if the sights were designed for 5.56 but the 6.5 drops more than 5.56...). But definitely not what you would expect from a sight that comes with the weapon (at least when using some of the pre-made weapon classnames).

I agree with this. I'd even go as far as to say that they're not done tweaking the sights in the main game itself (Which we saw pieces of at different expos) if this is the case, since everything is modular now, they have to have a different system to accomodate for the characteristics of different weapons/ammo, so since the sights aren't part of the weapon BI would have to make it so they work universally, which they might not have done yet.

That being said, I'm mostly guessing at all this.

The thing that bugs me about the RCO/ARCO. essentially an ACOG style scope, is the fact it has a magnification of 12x, equal to that of any current high magnification scope for high powered rifles.

Imo, it should be dropped to 4x like ACOG's as of right now it's just to easy too drop targets at ranges over 600m/700m with a 6.5mm.

Will high powered scopes be 24x or beyond?? I hope not.

This may be down to A3 actual simulating something close real range 1m==1m (compared to previous titles), but for an ole veteran it feels weird having an assault rifle with a 12x scope, ala BF3 style.

LOL, just found out a very interesting facts.

The RCO that Blufor use, which i claimed very "buggy", fit the weapons of OPfor very well.

As the ARCO that OPfor use, are very accurate while using on the Blufor weapons.

Even the camo fits!

RCO's is Black, most OPfor weapons are black, as the ARCO is Tan, perfectly fit MX rifles color!!

Special thanks to "galzohar", give me the ideas of testing on different Faction's weapons.

Edited by frostshazzy

;2360570']The thing that bugs me about the RCO/ARCO. essentially an ACOG style scope' date=' is the fact it has a magnification of 12x, equal to that of any current high magnification scope for high powered rifles.

Imo, it should be dropped to 4x like ACOG's as of right now it's just to easy too drop targets at ranges over 600m/700m with a 6.5mm.

[i']This may be down to A3 actual simulating something close real range 1m==1m (compared to previous titles), but for an ole veteran it feels weird having an assault rifle with a 12x scope, ala BF3 style.[/i]

this makes so much sense. i hope this is done to stop everyone being a dead on sniper.

---------- Post added at 19:37 ---------- Previous post was at 19:32 ----------

;2360570']The thing that bugs me about the RCO/ARCO. essentially an ACOG style scope' date=' is the fact it has a magnification of 12x, equal to that of any current high magnification scope for high powered rifles.

[i']This may be down to A3 actual simulating something close real range 1m==1m (compared to previous titles), but for an ole veteran it feels weird having an assault rifle with a 12x scope, ala BF3 style.[/i]

this makes so much sense. i hope this is done to stop everyone being a dead on sniper with their assault weapon.

You know thats a typo in the game right? those scopes are 4x max - i looked into configs just to be sure

:edit

according to arma's zoom calculation (0.249 / Scope Magnification) - hamr and arco are using 3,44x zoom , so no 4x or 12x

Edited by RobertHammer

I kinda agree, with these optics every rifle feels like a low powered sniper, rather than an assault rifle.

Stuff like this is why some mission makers seem to stick to iron sights or the ACO; heck there's a 2v2 King of the Hill (capture point was the Kamino lighthouse) where everyone only has iron sights at night and no IR Laser Pointer or even NVGs... just weapon lights and a 40 mm flare each.

You know thats a typo in the game right? those scopes are 4x max - i looked into configs just to be sure

:edit

according to arma's zoom calculation (0.249 / Scope Magnification) - hamr and arco are using 3,44x zoom , so no 4x or 12x

I hope that's true, as even without seeing the typo, the scope feels much stronger then 3.4x.

I kinda agree, with these optics every rifle feels like a low powered sniper, rather than an assault rifle.

I think the new optics magnification plus the new instant zoom are better now than in ArmA 2. It was worse before, optics were way overpowered. There are still bugs at bullet drop calculation but at least you dont have a sniper rifle as an ACOG rifle. I mentioned this in an ArmA 2 thread too: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?136107-Realistic-optics

EDIT: funny part is that you still have the "tunnel vision" looking through a binocular but you dont get this with scopes. Reality is the other way around.

Edited by afp