Sign in to follow this  
Ghostwolf

I would pay up to 30 dollars for full editing manual

I would not hold back cash on a thick, very detailed editing manual that will teach me from the beginning, all the ins and outs of how to use every aspect of the editor to create missions and multyplayer game types. I plan to play arma 3 for a very long time and have always been interested in creating content.

Make it BI and I will buy in a heartbeat!

Mr-Murrays Editing Guide has everything you need to know, it was made for armed assault, but translates over to ArmA 2, and ArmA 3. What it doesn't cover is some of the extra things that came with ArmA 3.

It's also 332 pages, so if your serious on learning the ropes, start there.

Unfortunately I find no mention of Modules in that pdf :( so far those are what I am interested in.

Advice for that would be go into the Arma 2 forum and ask, many of the modules will be ones used there. Not only that but its probably something to ask when the game is released proper rather than a WIP type question. I am not putting you off asking, just think you may get more answers there for now..:)

Edited by ChrisB

well since ppl are talking about guides

how one would come about creating an island, custom texture and place custom static models on it? can anyone point me in the best direction regarding those topics?

im becoming interested on making something (custom island obviously), want to read up on how to come about it while i wait to see if the games performance will get good enough for me to consider spending a lot of time to accomplish itl.

I was also interested in editing and found this little gem:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148594-ArmA-3-Editor-Tutorials-Building-Simple-Missions

I would highly advise checking it out, it's very simple and easy to follow, hell I could follow it. There are also more tutorials on his channel.

Sorry, I thought you simply wanted to learn the editor, not everything. But think of this as a good jumping off point.

well since ppl are talking about guides

how one would come about creating an island, custom texture and place custom static models on it? can anyone point me in the best direction regarding those topics?

im becoming interested on making something (custom island obviously), want to read up on how to come about it while i wait to see if the games performance will get good enough for me to consider spending a lot of time to accomplish itl.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?85579-Simple-ArmA-2-Terrain-Tutorial Translates over to A3.

I would not hold back cash on a thick, very detailed editing manual that will teach me from the beginning, all the ins and outs of how to use every aspect of the editor to create missions and multyplayer game types. I plan to play arma 3 for a very long time and have always been interested in creating content.

Make it BI and I will buy in a heartbeat!

Here's another post I agree 110%. Unfortunately it'll never happen IMO. Problem isn't that there isn't information out there, there's tons...all over the place. Here, youtube, Armaholic...etc. I'd pay handsomely for an all around scripting document that is well put together, QC'd and checked for accuracey, updated with new information...etc. I love this sim/game...the possibilities are virtually endless but sometimes even the most simplest of tasks can be challenging. Case in point, it took me 8 frackin hours the other day to figure out and get it to work, how to play custom music via triggers. I found lots of info, but most of it contained typos or missing info causing much frustration. I finally put 1, 2 and 3 together and got it to work. For a new guy to this system, I feel lost for every small detail I want to put together in my own little missions.

Here's another post I agree 110%. Unfortunately it'll never happen IMO. Problem isn't that there isn't information out there, there's tons...all over the place. Here, youtube, Armaholic...etc. I'd pay handsomely for an all around scripting document that is well put together, QC'd and checked for accuracey, updated with new information...etc. I love this sim/game...the possibilities are virtually endless but sometimes even the most simplest of tasks can be challenging. Case in point, it took me 8 frackin hours the other day to figure out and get it to work, how to play custom music via triggers. I found lots of info, but most of it contained typos or missing info causing much frustration. I finally put 1, 2 and 3 together and got it to work. For a new guy to this system, I feel lost for every small detail I want to put together in my own little missions.

That's how we all start I assume :P . Took me a month to perfect a mission while adding a WHOLE lot of stuff. It didn't wanted to make some simple stuff, just some more complex stuff. What I did back then would probably take about 2-3 days now depending on how much time I invested. Mainly the JIP problems and helo not taking off right issues from back then xD . Helo extractions, humvee insertions, custom music.... I just wanted all that extra stuff but it was how I learned :P

Why pay money for something that people have done for free and do not ask for your monies?

Sounds like wanting way more hand-holding than what user-made tutorials have been using.

I've been wanting to teach people some of my golden tricks I've picked up in the past 10 years of action gaming but I've never been able to get ahold of the things that let you record console gameplay and haven't bothered pirating recording software for the PC.

I've been wanting to teach people some of my golden tricks I've picked up in the past 10 years of action gaming but I've never been able to get ahold of the things that let you record console gameplay and haven't bothered pirating recording software for the PC.

what? this thread is asking for an editing manual, not "golden tricks" in action gaming on a console, which i presume involves holding down the fire and forward key.

I agree with this thread. I loved A2, OA, PMC, BAF and ACR and played every mission and scenario but never delved into the editor.

Now with A3 I am taking that jump - mainly because I just can't wait for the Retail release to make the most of A3!!

So, like someone mentioned above I'm finally appreciating what actually goes into making a mission and all the bug testing and refining that goes into it because I've spent well over 50 hours on one A3 mission - and while the end is in sight there is a lot more to achieve - and its a basic mission with a couple of objectives.

Anyway, what I am getting to is that I am going to put together a Word document guide - mainly for my own benefit to reference and retain all the info I'm gathering from the myriad of great yet scattered sources of mission making info. Yes a 300 page pdf from Arma 1 may be comprehensive, but its also intimidating... and out of date. I plan to make a plain English guide with screenshots that can be followed by someone who knows nothing other than how to play the game, which was where I was a month ago before watching 100 YouTube videos and trawling BIS, Armaholic, OFPEC and Google for countless hours.

Its not going to be a guru's scripting guide of course but should give enough guidance on how to put together a mission that you have in your head and enjoy a few bells and whistles like dynamic tasks using modules. I'l try and remember to post it here once I do.

I agree, OP. I'm interested in making missions, but my skills with the editor are sorely lacking at this point.

$30 seems a little high, although I guess the alpha only costs about that and the combined cost would only equal the price of a new game. And I guess you would be paying to extend your enjoyment of the game... Ok, you talked me into it! :)

what? this thread is asking for an editing manual, not "golden tricks" in action gaming on a console, which i presume involves holding down the fire and forward key.

Don't be a dick cause you suck at videogames.

What I meant anyways is I'm also into editing and editing videos are way more useful than a manual... I could probably get players going with some creativity to come up with interesting scenarios and some video game design 101.

Anyone asking for a (physical?!) paper staple in the 21st century really shouldn't be getting into vg editing though :p

---------- Post added at 02:01 ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 ----------

That's how we all start I assume :P . Took me a month to perfect a mission while adding a WHOLE lot of stuff. It didn't wanted to make some simple stuff, just some more complex stuff. What I did back then would probably take about 2-3 days now depending on how much time I invested. Mainly the JIP problems and helo not taking off right issues from back then xD . Helo extractions, humvee insertions, custom music.... I just wanted all that extra stuff but it was how I learned :P

Getting info on the net is tough but you get a lot better at it in time and it's a good job merit nowadays. Good for any purpose that requires information, really. Can't ever have enough information.

Don't be a dick cause you suck at videogames.

What I meant anyways is I'm also into editing and editing videos are way more useful than a manual... I could probably get players going with some creativity to come up with interesting scenarios and some video game design 101.

Anyone asking for a (physical?!) paper staple in the 21st century really shouldn't be getting into vg editing though :p

---------- Post added at 02:01 ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 ----------

Getting info on the net is tough but you get a lot better at it in time and it's a good job merit nowadays. Good for any purpose that requires information, really. Can't ever have enough information.

lol why hasn't this troll been banned yet