Sign in to follow this  
Mora2

1.75 doesn´t save new missions?

Ok...i enter the wkk server...and play the wonderful ctf-bikers where you are in a gang with pistols motorcycles etc...very cool indeed...my congratulatiosn to whoever did this map..

So impressed by it´s quality that i decide to host a little game for my squad mates....and what is my surprise when i can´t find out the mission!!!!!!!!!!

Hell!!!!!!!!! i´m the only one suffering this problem???...it also happens to a friend of myne and we both have limited edition copies,but i don´t think this is the problem...

Btw if this has been already issued please forgive me..i´m a bit nervous about this fact...

I´ll respond to myself:

Confirmed,doesn´t save the maps,they are placed in the temp file,if you want to have that mision just alt+tab and copy in the Mpmissions folder.

Now, can anyone explain me why this has been introduced?

If this has been discussed please put me the link to the right thread.

Thanks.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mora2 @ July 16 2002,23:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">it also happens to  a friend of myne and we both have limited edition copies,but i don´t think this is the problem...<span id='postcolor'>

What does " limited edition copies" mean?

emm...i believe i´ve spelled it correctly...it´s what says in the box....LIMITED EDITION It has the logo of Codemasters at the bottom right corner ( no sign of BIS logo) and it´s red with a guy with a PK ready to shoot and gone prone seen from behind..

I earned it by participating in the  spanish OFP league and it´s a copy of internal deliverance for "Codemasters Spain" as the game hasn´t arrived yet to stores.

Also if you look at the cd it says in the bottom: PROMO COPY

OH!! I lied...the BIS logo is on the cd ( Below Codemaster´s)

and very little in the back of the box...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mora2 @ July 17 2002,01:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Now, can anyone explain me why this has been introduced?<span id='postcolor'>

This has been introduced to avoid conflicts between different versions. In past when you connected to server and it had different version of mission, it was downloaded into your MPMissions folder overwriting whatever version you had.

Due to this bug many people had problems applying patches and had to reinstall OFP first. You could also easily loose your work this way (if two different mission creators used same mission name).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suma @ July 17 2002,12:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif2--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mora2 @ July 17 2002,01wow.gif2)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Now, can anyone explain me why this has been introduced?<span id='postcolor'>

This has been introduced to avoid conflicts between different versions. In past when you connected to server and it had different version of mission, it was downloaded into your MPMissions folder overwriting whatever version you had.<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm.. But do the temp directories get erased whenever OFP is restarted? This would mean that every time you play a mission you need to re-download it from the server... This kindof sucks for missions that are sized over 1MB or so...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ July 17 2002,11:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmm.. But do the temp directories get erased whenever OFP is restarted?<span id='postcolor'>

Yes.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This would mean that every time you play a mission you need to re-download it from the server... This kindof sucks for missions that are sized over 1MB or so...<span id='postcolor'>

If you want to avoid this, download your mission by another means and copy it into your MPMissions folder.

OPF should not change your installation files, therefore downloading into MPMissions folder was definitelly a bug. No changing system is implemented in OFP - it might be in future.

Would it be possible to make it so that if the user already has the mission, it would be downloaded into temp and used from there, but if a file of that name doesnt exist in MPMissions directory it would be placed there instead?

That way original missions would never get overwritten by old/changed versions, but it would avoid the need to download most of user made missions again and again.

Yeah, downloading 800+ kb missions every time, even if you've had to download it before isn't really much fun wink.gif

I think it was fine the way it was before (except for overwriting existing missions).

agreed...the load times are already a bit long...now with the introduced need for missions to be downloaded every time they are played the load times are even longer...this makes the dial up users an even bigger liability on servers than they already are. I thought Kegetys idea was good. On the other hand...I really had no issues with the old way. In most cases it is desirable for the mission to be overwritten. This ensured that you always had the most recent version of a mission or at least the version that your favorite server was running. Overall I think its easier for a single user to download a mission from somewhere that they may have overwritten than it is to expect a majority of players to hunt down ALL of the missions used on a server. If a mission desiger loses work due to a mission overwrite then thats just poor planning on the mission designers part. Its seems like putting the cart before the horse to enforce constant downloading on a majority of users and extending load times across all online servers for the lack of common sense or proper planning on the part of a mission designer. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with Kegetys. If no new system can be created can we just have the old system back? I was quite happy with it and I never heard anyone complain about it.

Please put it back Suma! smile.gif

wow.gif I definitely second Keg's motion.  Sometimes downloading a map while playing MP is the only access to the map that you can get (i.e., it's not on any of the OFP fan sites to download).  I've found some of my best maps this way.

Please, please put back this most needed functionality.

Cheers,

DogTag

Any map makers with any sense and i know there are plenty that have, would rename there updated version i.e v1, v2 ect.

Its frustrating having to download missions time and time again, and even worse sitting waiting for some poor bugger with slower connection struggle downloading.

So unless you have any other idea's other than kegety's which if possible would be great, can we have the old system back...never had any complaints before and never seen any either.

Another solution, if the matter is about official missions sometimes getting overwritten and thus disallowing further patching of OFP, the official mission files could be made read-only and make the game not overwrite read-only missions files.

*bump*

Its sad. Cause our rented server is still playing on 1.60 due to this, since we have some 56ks who doesnt wanna download 1 meg every time we play a mission. Now we cant have the things in 1.75 online, its ruining mp sad.gif

i think about that Keg... and personnally i think that the player can itself put his missions in read-only if he want *thus he will crash to desktop if rewritten occur*.

But that's better for 56ker i think, the most important Mission file i ever see have 30meg... a really big mission with full of personnalized music *and that, it take alot of place*.

Generally OPF map size are 50k to 5meg:

Think about that a 56k generally get up to 4.5ko/sec DL at best, so 113minutes of DL for only one file!! For the generic mission it ll take 11seconds up to 18minutes

that's insane to do it everytime *as i m broadband-user i prefer mostly crash and re-install sometime my OPF rather than not playing while waiting the other guys to finish DL(in that case u can be sur i ll change server after 5 min waiting, even if i m connected under admin *

deffinately blows, a whole lot. i like being able to go into the map the next day and practice but if i have to rumage thru the net for the damn thing, thats not cool.

spidey

one thing that I hesitate about changing attribute of official MP missions to READ Only is that AFAIK, BIS changes contents of some missions once in a while. so If it's read-only, then patch process could get botched, if the patch tries to read and modify that specific MP mission.

also, I'm not sure if OFP has IO error catching/logging mechanism for read-only file error. If OFP does have it, then it can give out a warning that says file downloading has same name as that of standard MP mission, and give pop-up warning. If not, I hope it doesn't crash to desk top...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ July 22 2002,08:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">one thing that I hesitate about changing attribute of official MP missions to READ Only is that AFAIK, BIS changes contents of some missions once in a while. so If it's read-only, then patch process could get botched, if the patch tries to read and modify that specific MP mission.<span id='postcolor'>

Um, the patch program can always change the read/write attributes of the files before writing, so that is no problem.

No, I think that the current solution makes sense. In the future it might however be desirable to have a version tag in the mission file and that the game performs a checksum to make sure that it's the same mission on the server as local.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Espectro @ July 21 2002,09:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">*bump*

Its sad. Cause our rented server is still playing on 1.60 due to this, since we have some 56ks who doesnt wanna download 1 meg every time we play a mission. Now we cant have the things in 1.75 online, its ruining mp sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

But they can download the maps from the squad server and install them in the MPMissions directory.

I like the old method personally. Most of the maps I play on are 1 - 5 megs and it takes for ever for my server to send everyone the map.

Hoz

The missions should definately not be deleted from the MPMissions directory of the client every game. This is not only a cause of long delays between each game, it is also blowing the servers costs way out of proportion to what they usually were. If the same file has to be sent every single game, our servers are going to be sending so much data out for no good reason, that is going to raise costs.

BIS, there are way too many negative effects of having the missions refreshed constantly, the old way worked fine and was efficient use of bandwidth, please take these things into consideration as servers cannot run this way.

Regards,

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lt_Damage @ July 23 2002,01:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BIS, there are way too many negative effects of having the missions refreshed constantly, the old way worked fine and was efficient use of bandwidth, please take these things into consideration as servers cannot run this way.<span id='postcolor'>

We will introduce new folder called MPMissionsCache in a future patch. All missions downloaded from servers will be placed and kept there.

Until that's implemented, I suggest you keep your missions short and sweet. Functional over flashy. An MP mission doesn't have to be any bigger than 30k, as far as I can see.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suma @ July 23 2002,12:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lt_Damage @ July 23 2002,01:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BIS, there are way too many negative effects of having the missions refreshed constantly, the old way worked fine and was efficient use of bandwidth, please take these things into consideration as servers cannot run this way.<span id='postcolor'>

We will introduce new folder called MPMissionsCache in a future patch. All missions downloaded from servers will be placed and kept there.<span id='postcolor'>

That won't make any difference. You will still then have the same problem with version conflicts. There are two way to solve the version problem:

1) Leave all missions on server and let the client download every time.

2) Include a version tag in the mission file and make a basic version check that the client & server versions match.

Putting the missions into the MPMissions directory or an MPMissionsCache is basically the same thing as the user will copy the cache to the mission problem and again potentially have a version problem.