Sign in to follow this  
white

Silencers - Why do they exist in ArmA 3?

Personally ive only been aware of supressors in real life, and they are pretty loud still, so why ArmA has holywoodian/arcade game silencers?

if im ignorant and silencers that completely negate sound exists, please show me.

weirdly OFP / ArmA silencers have always been quiet. Brings me back to the OFP *tick tick tick* noise

And they exist in ArmA because they are awesome.

Edited by SpecOp9

in Alpha - we missing subsonic magazines to make weapons quieter , thats all[h=1][/h]

they are still very loud compared to this holywoodian approach.

they are still very loud compared to this holywoodian approach.

you know if it was holywoodian approach then all suppressors in the game would be 100% silent , which they are not.

Subsonic rounds would give the the whisper quiet effect, but they're only effective for a short distance, pretty much as powerful as a pistol round. Much depends on the baffles and the type of silencer used as well as the powder load in the rounds. Also this is 2035, who knows how far suppressor technology has come.

Quick search on Youtube finds this, though that sounds like a silenced .22 to me rather than a .308. No idea how authentic or real it is.

The Welrod used during WWII was almost completely silent, nearly 100 years before the game is set.

Quick search on Youtube finds this, though that sounds like a silenced .22 to me rather than a .308. No idea how authentic or real it is.

that does sound quiet but in a lot of other videos theres a high pitched sound much higher than that in rifles, from what ive seen at least. and well you can barely hear the non subsonic round so my guess is that the audio was poorly captured.

yeah theres still a high pitched "clack" sound when firing.

not like this which sounds just like the air pressure and yes it does sound like movies:

arma 2 mp5sd

-

Edited by white

ah now i get it - if you don't like those Silenced sounds then you can make your own custom sounds

Fuck youtube videos. 99% of them are recorded with crappy mics or heavily compressed (FPSRussia is compressed a LOT!) you have absolutely no clue on how loud a gun shot is and how loud a supressor is. The main job of a supressor is to make the sound a bit quiter and make it sound DIFFERENT to a classic gun shot so the enemy does not know 100% what the sound was.

Combine that with a subsonic round and you have a pretty confused enemy when shots are fired.

ah now i get it - if you don't like those Silenced sounds then you can make your own custom sounds

thank you for your usefull post.

seems that .308 winchester subsonic ammo has a reduction of 10-12 dB in comparison of the non-subsonic one ...so still pretty loud

http://silencertalk.com/results.htm

exactly.

Fuck youtube videos. 99% of them are recorded with crappy mics or heavily compressed (FPSRussia is compressed a LOT!) you have absolutely no clue on how loud a gun shot is and how loud a supressor is. The main job of a supressor is to make the sound a bit quiter and make it sound DIFFERENT to a classic gun shot so the enemy does not know 100% what the sound was.

Combine that with a subsonic round and you have a pretty confused enemy when shots are fired.

So has you used a suppressor with subsonic rounds? Just curious?

And anyways, with supersonic rounds the person you're shooting at will hear the bullet, rather than the gun, and will be unable to trace your location based on it. As they say, suppressors make you invisible, not quiet.

seems that .308 winchester subsonic ammo has a reduction of 10-12 dB in comparison of the non-subsonic one ...so still pretty loud

http://silencertalk.com/results.htm

That depends, if you are reducing 110dB by 10dB it isnt much of a difference, but reducing 40dB by 10dB is a massive difference.

Most people aren't aware that dB perception is not a linear graph measurement. eg 80dB is not twice as loud as 40dB, it is actually even more.

AMPLITUDE_RATIOS_DECIBELS3.png

So has you used a suppressor with subsonic rounds? Just curious?

And anyways, with supersonic rounds the person you're shooting at will hear the bullet, rather than the gun, and will be unable to trace your location based on it. As they say, suppressors make you invisible, not quiet.

samco just showed a table with how much noise supressors reduce.

from 160db to 130db its still pretty damn loud. so yeah you would be able to know where it came from, jusr would be weirded out because it sounded different, like mega posted. 130db is like a jet engine.

But that noise is all sonic boom. It's the sonic crack you hear overhead, and you only hear it once. It's a sound that travels with the bullet, so it's really goddamn loud for the shooter, but the person downrange won't hear it the same way.

Only problem I have with silencers, is there are only silencers avalable for muzzle mount. What ArmA3 guns could really use are flash hiders, even old ones, meant to prevent gunner from blinding himself when firing with NV on.

Only problem I have with silencers, is there are only silencers avalable for muzzle mount. What ArmA3 guns could really use are flash hiders, even old ones, meant to prevent gunner from blinding himself when firing with NV on.

Flash hiders are being introduced later on.

I had some range time with a short barreled AR-15 and a YHM Suppressor once, definitely loud, but you can shoot it without hearing protection and not get tinnitus.

I just fire up throw on my Turtle Beach.. and I still hear those ganksters with the suppressors :) Of course unless they are on a mountain sniping.. in witch case, after hundreds and hundreds of yards, I dont think I even would hear that in real life.

Suppressors are used in most video games now-adays so why should they not? I mean, it adds a whole new way to play the game. "Stealthy"