Sign in to follow this  
Cyper

“CoD has almost ruined a generation of shooter players.�

I agree cod games are dumbed down no doubt and cod black ops 2 is one of the most dumbed down games ever. However bf3 is an outstanding game. i feel it provideds realizm in an atmospher that is for gamers ease of use. thanl you and a five babies to yall.

I think you're being sarcastic, and it's hilarious. If you're not.... Yeesh.

@RO2: Despite considering a good,solid game and really enjoying it, having some (new) features and mechanics that should be standard for the genre and an overall good technical side (animations, sounds, graphics), I can agree that they f*ck up the game with:

a) an utterly bad release with bugs and lack of promised features followed by a really slow fix for them (almost 2 years now from release and it still misses some features, even Rising Storm that was in development before the game came out);

b) bad map design for some levels;

c) 3 "play modes"? Really? Instead of focusing in one that they are good at they tried to hit a broader audience and ended with 3 so-so modes. COD syndrome right there...

You know, this here is what helps dampen TI's criticism, though not entirely metalcraze's idea that they tried to please two mutually exclusive ends of the spectrum -- "utterly bad release" is damningly important; it's seriously one of the things that hurt Arma 2's reputation and visibility and relegated it to its niche even harder than it would have been otherwise, and it seems like a case of "deflect blame using a scapegoat that everyone else dislike for their own reasons".

Re: BF3 -- while I'm not really a fan of the Battlefield series thanks to 3, I believe that metalcraze and I have our otherwise-mutual distaste for it for very different reasons, and mine probably have a lot more to do with EA's business practices than his do... :p (Not coincidentally, "business practices" is an area where I prefer BI.)

One might more accurately call it "Battlefield: Bad Company 3"... which would at least have been "truer advertising", especially since I believe that "Battlefield 3" was specifically to conjure up memories of BF2 and the initial "PC as the lead platform" thinking, with hyping up stuff like the return of jets, the 64 player cap on PC and even using PC for showing off video of "Thunder Run", before EA got a case of the Captain Ahab.

I'd definitely suggest though that COD's gameplay isn't as much at fault as "the industry trying to chase the money"... ambition (about "industry position" untempered by recognition of the way of things and trends) and short-term thinking without sustainability driven by shareholders who only want ever-increasing profits per quarter and executives who can't push back properly because their positions are at stake...

Re: BF3 -- while I'm not really a fan of the Battlefield series thanks to 3, I believe that metalcraze and I have our otherwise-mutual distaste for it for very different reasons, and mine probably have a lot more to do with EA's business practices than his do... :p (Not coincidentally, "business practices" is an area where I prefer BI.)

I think we have a distaste of it for more similar reasons than you know. I don't dislike BF series. But BF3 went on to spam you with constant rewards for doing nothing - Tripwire's boss' words ring true in relation to it too. It's pretty much effortless unlock grind and even if you play bad you keep getting rewarded all the time.

I think we have a distaste of it for more similar reasons than you know. I don't dislike BF series. But BF3 went on to spam you with constant rewards for doing nothing - Tripwire's boss' words ring true in relation to it too. It's pretty much effortless unlock grind and even if you play bad you keep getting rewarded all the time.

Doesn't this entire thing hinge only on whether you have the slightest regard for said rewards?

@BF3: Let's put on this way:

BC2 was EA response to COD. As a spin-off from BF, it was quite a good and solid game, I really enjoyed playing it. It had all that unlocks and medals things but in the end it was fine.

BF3 on the other hand was supposed (or better, expected) to be the true sucessor of BF2. It wasn't. It was kind of BC2 with steroids and even more COD like things. And DLCs. It failed to be a BF game and a response to COD. I really don't like BF3, may be a good game for some but for me is just... meh. BF4 is banging in the door, it will be what BF3 was suppose to be? Let's wait and see.

On a side note, it's funny to see EA trying to get COD crowd releasing games like BC2, MoH 2010, BF3 and MoHW and failing miserably in most cases.

@BF3: Let's put on this way:

BC2 was EA response to COD. As a spin-off from BF, it was quite a good and solid game, I really enjoyed playing it. It had all that unlocks and medals things but in the end it was fine.

BF3 on the other hand was supposed (or better, expected) to be the true sucessor of BF2. It wasn't. It was kind of BC2 with steroids and even more COD like things. And DLCs. It failed to be a BF game and a response to COD. I really don't like BF3, may be a good game for some but for me is just... meh. BF4 is banging in the door, it will be what BF3 was suppose to be? Let's wait and see.

On a side note, it's funny to see EA trying to get COD crowd releasing games like BC2, MoH 2010, BF3 and MoHW and failing miserably in most cases.

I hate to say it, but after BF3 I really could care less what they do with BF4. I loved BFBC2 and BF2, even the new MoH when there were people playing, but BF3 was a generic pile of shit that they then tried to bleed for all it was worth. We all know BF4 will go the same way. This is EA, the Battlefield we know and love is not coming back.

This is EA, the Battlefield we know and love is not coming back.
Truthbetold EA's got a case of the green-eyed monster when it comes to Activision, and it's seemingly obvious that the BF3 name (as opposed to BC3) was a clear attempt to draw BF2 fans' eyes (oh hey, sounds like Codemasters and Dragon Rising...).

Alternately: "The Battlefield we know and love, no AAA developer studio or publisher is interested in making."

Doesn't this entire thing hinge only on whether you have the slightest regard for said rewards?

No. What I mean is that players don't have to try their best to earn said rewards. Much like in CoD they want to compress the skill range.

I hate to say it, but after BF3 I really could care less what they do with BF4. I loved BFBC2 and BF2, even the new MoH when there were people playing, but BF3 was a generic pile of shit that they then tried to bleed for all it was worth. We all know BF4 will go the same way. This is EA, the Battlefield we know and love is not coming back.

Yup I bought BFBC2 and played exactly half an hour and than uninstalled. The game was terrible trash IMO. I did enjoy BF2 as AAA title back than and had at least a hint of some kind of teamwork. That said, I wholehartedly agree with the thread title about COD ruining everything.

CoD has halted the innovation of an entire genre of games in my opinion. All recent shooters have strived to incorporate elements of CoD into their games in efforts to achieve the success CoD has and the result has been a bunch of versions of the same basic game.

Plus, for some reason no one seems to give a shit anymore about the effect they have on gaming. People just buy the newest shit Activison/EA pumps out without caring how much effort was put into it. Just look at pre-orders, like why the hell you gonna dish money for something you have no clue about in terms of quality or enjoyment?

I just want some fresh takes you know, some risky moves, new shit, competitive moves among the game industry, instead of lackluster copies of CoD.

Plus, for some reason no one seems to give a shit anymore about the effect they have on gaming. People just buy the newest shit Activison/EA pumps out without caring how much effort was put into it. Just look at pre-orders, like why the hell you gonna dish money for something you have no clue about in terms of quality or enjoyment?

This is my big issue, too. If you buy bad games they will make bad games, period. People get really pissy when you try to explain that them being a shitty consumer is making your favorite hobby worse.

I stopped after CoD 5, pretty much. Got MW2 when it came out, and I just didn't like the way it played or the horribly cramped maps. At least CoD 4 and 5 made some attempt to cling to a small piece of realism and balance, but MW2 was just over the top to me.

As for the Battlefield series, I can see it becoming a yearly cash cow like CoD. Think I'll stick to ARMA.

I just want some fresh takes you know, some risky moves, new shit, competitive moves among the game industry, instead of lackluster copies of CoD.
As has been said plenty of times in plenty of places (like, if you'd look outside of these forums) a lot of it comes down to "new IP" risk and shareholders-through-the-company-brass shying away from the idea of "taking a chance to come up with something new"... it's kind of like Hollywood's rash of "remakes". (If you want to accuse Hollywood of therefore being intellectually bankrupt... I wouldn't disagree.)
As for the Battlefield series, I can see it becoming a yearly cash cow like CoD.
This is news to you such that you merely "see" it instead of it being a given? EA and Ubisoft have been very transparent about intending "yearly cash cow" with their signature series at least since 2011, and truthbetold that's more responsible for "issues with innovation" than the specific game that they're 'imitating'...

... and truthbetold that's an industry-wide issue, "big name" publishers each wanting to strike it big and come up with the next "yearly cash cow", hence trying to apply it to their signature series, even when they frankly don't have the intellectual and creative heft to sustain a franchise every year, because who the hell wants to admit that about themselves... heck, EA at least signaled their intent to at least alternate in years between Battlefield and Medal of Honor, they simply had to roll out BF after MOH: Warfighter flopped so hard as to force the series into hibernation!

(Disclosure: I hopped off of the AC series more from Revelations being awful more than "yearly series attempt", though yearly-franchise-attempt should have been a warning sign... whereas I didn't take to AC3 because it took AC: Revelations as canon and I wasn't okay with that, gameplay was irrelevant. :p)

Edited by Chortles