Sign in to follow this  
SelectThis

New island - ia trang valley

My new island, the Ia Trang Valley, is now finished. It should be available from a few sites soon.

This addon provides a new island based on the Ia Trang Valley in Vietnam where the 1st Cavalry battled with the NVA at LZ Xray and LZ Albany in some of the most violent battles of the Vietnam War.

Distances and height scales are relatively correct with the exception of

the Plei Me Special Forces Camp which in reality was over 14 miles from LZ Xray.

Be warned, this island is VERY demanding on your computer.

SEB-Nam-Ia-Trang-Valley.jpg

SEB-Nam-Ia-Trang-Valley_Map.jpg

More images available from the OFPEC Pre 1985 forum.

SelectThis

You've been around long enough to know not to hotlink to images over 100kb.

If I wasn't in such an exceedingly spiffy mood I would simply have deleted your post smile.gif

Doh! sorry about that..4.25am here :/

I've reduced the size of the pics to make them easier to download.

SelectThis

the amount of trees, and it looks very cool btw, and is as i played a beta a while ago...

I'd love a decent Nam mod, as long as it doesn't use Gunslingers addon I'll be happy smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ July 13 2002,20:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">as long as it doesn't use Gunslingers addon I'll be happy smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

What is wrong with Gunslinger's pack?

SelectThis can u update the Nam Pack Units and Weapons to be compatible with Resistance (removeing the muzzle flash bug)? sad.gif

BTW, can u mark the road where the french army was ambushed in the late fifties, drwing them out of vietnam?(this was seen in we were soldiers, in the beginning)

don't think it was near Ia Trang

the place was called Dien Bien Phű

I have tried out the Ia Trang map now and I must say that I am not very impressed. IMO the craftmanship of the map is very good, but the concept is a worthless one.

latrang1.jpg

latrang2.jpg

Now, these look nice, what is the problem then? Well, for one thing the map is more or less covered with trees. These are pre-Resistance models and as we all know OFP trees are not very good looking. Another problem is if you use a decend viewdistance > 2000 then the trees are constantly changing due to LOD adjustments of the OFP engine. Highly annoying.

latrang3.jpg

Also, what looks good from the air looks less good from the ground. Or better to say, everything looks the same: trees everywhere. Relatively flat surfaces and trees as long as the eye can see.

latrang4.jpg

I really can't get why somebody would want to do a Vietnam mod. Appart from the fact that it is not very well suited for the OFP engine, I can't see the fun of it. Vietnam was about crawling through the jungle and getting shot at people hiding in bushes. That's IMO not exactly the ideal source of inspiration for a video game. But then again, perhaps it is just me.

Well i think this is the best user-made island to date i cant say i have been to vietnam but i could imagine this is what it would be like its got that really dense jungle feel to it and flying the uh1 around is great fun. Considering its not using the new high res textures i still think it looks good. It also runs pretty well im on a p3 700 with a geforce 2mx and i have no slow downs its well worth the download.

I think there are way more folks that would like and appreciate more vietnam era work than there are that would not.

I for one, really enjoy it along with the Nam addons we made.

So you think that the offical Nam mod would be a waste of time as well?

LOD problems? Complain about the engine, not the map.

Ebud

Is it just an island or are there any missions to try or anything yet? Personally I don't bother downloading individual addons but if there's some point to downloading it I look forward to checking it out smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ebudnew @ July 14 2002,01:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So you think that the offical Nam mod would be a waste of time as well?<span id='postcolor'>

I think so. But I may be in minority smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">LOD problems? Complain about the engine, not the map. <span id='postcolor'>

I never complained on the map. It is very well crafted. I said however that the OFP engine is not suitable for large forrest areas. And in the end it is an OFP addon, so you have to accept the limitations that the engine gives you smile.gif

I agree with Denoir... The trees just hide what little ground texture they have, about 5 diffrant texture blocks were used for this map then coverd up with Trees that really are not in the right places... IRL Nam, Trees are almost 1 foot from each other and theres tons of sticker bushes and the over head is thick with branches and bushes and small pathes into dark forests with this map there wide open trees of almost the same kind everywere. Theres no cool landmarks that make a map speical... Theres no life in this map.

Its funny becasue if you didnt say this was a Vietnam Map then it would be just another normal crapy (Test Skills) Map

I think you thought you can easly impress people with a big map but its not working for me...

There better maps then this Orange Land, Dr.No's Island...

just some maps are good They have landmarks and accualy spots to fight at.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 13 2002,23:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Another problem is if you use a decend viewdistance > 2000 then the trees are constantly changing due to LOD adjustments of the OFP engine. Highly annoying.<span id='postcolor'>

You just need to add a little more fog, then you wont see the trees pop up as clearly and if you have the framerate settings on minimum or close to it then LOD adjustments shouldn’t be any big problem. It looks great with the settings I’m running.

I haven't spent allot of time with it but I like it, Nice work SelectThis. I especially like the way you did the SF camp and the rivers mean that PBRs actually have a purpose now.

Any plans to release a fix for resistance for the 'Nam units?

Unfortunately OFP:R has not been released in Australia, there fore I did not have access to it to:

1) check what bugs needed to be fixed the the Nam Pack units

2) adapt the models on the map with the new OFP:R ones.

For those wanting landmarks...search the map, there are small villages, locations for VC/NVA caches (with camo netting ) scattered through out the map. LZ spots "marked" with different textures.

The island is mainly a infanty and heli map.. with limited armor.

Denoir:

Thanks for the compliments re: crafting.

"Vietnam was about crawling through the jungle and getting shot at people hiding in bushes"

... exactly. it was also about hot LZs, chasing the unseen enemy through jungles, air strikes and heli gunships. Kinda ironic that you call the concept worthless, as that's a pretty good summation of the whole concept of war and of the Vietnam conflict itself. The soldiers were willing but the politicians let them down sad.gif

SelectThis

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Denoir:

Now, these look nice, what is the problem then? Well, for one thing the map is more or less covered with trees. These are pre-Resistance models and as we all know OFP trees are not very good looking.<span id='postcolor'>

LOL! Did you feel like this about OFP before the last two weeks as well? tounge.gif

I think the pics look impressive. And I like the idea of Nam maps, missions and jungle campaigns.

In PMC Fury, some of the better missions are the ones where you have to comb the forests for retreating Russians. An ugly job but someone's gotta do it. smile.gif

Like Placebo, however, I'm not going to DL great addons when there are no missions or campaigns for them. I'll just wait and hope someone does it.

To RPG re: Size of the map.

Actually the original map I made for myself was much bigger, filled the entire possible surface. I trimmed it to leave in the keyfeatures of the location (the Massif, and LZ Xray, Colombus and Albany triangle). Locations in the "triangle" are to scale with real life distances. Concessions made to make the map more playable was the deletion of much of the extraenous land mass and the inclusion of the Plei Me Special Forces camp (which was over 14 miles away).

"I think you thought you can easly impress people with a big map but its not working for me..."

m8, I don't make addons to impress people. I make them so I can have fun with OFP. I share my addons with others so that they can have fun as well.

Make a few simple infantry missions in the forrested areas, set the time to dawn and I think you will enjoy the atmosphere.

SelectThis

Nice work SelectThis best user island i seen.this island gives a new dimension to the OFP.nice work.and good luck with others vietnam addons. biggrin.gif

I think that the critisisms that Vietnam isn't a suitable conflict for OFP do have some merit if you look at the war as a whole, the patrolling and long periods of low intensity conflict would not make for a great game (unless you have an interest in the period)

however, The campaign in the Ia Drang was quite different from the the majority of actions fought in vietnam, it was almost a classical brigade sized engagement (6-7 NVA and VC Mainforce battalions against 2-3 US Air Cavalry battalions, with massive air and artilley support), albeit the one that gave birth to a whole new way of deploying and co-ordindating your troops (airmobility) and as such probably makes for one most suitable campaigns to be used with the ofp engine (as its not so big and vehicle heavy that the engine cannot cope) and the confused and fragmented nature of the fighting over 2-3 days (not to mention the follow-up operations and the siege of Plei Mei) make for any number of great historical missions.

I personally think the terrain is stunning and cant wait for the updated nam pack to come out so i can start designing some missions. great job SelectThis

You know how I feel SelectThis. I love your island.

I wanted to trash the people that trashed your island, but I will restrain myself. No good could ever come of an argument like that.

Anyway, I haven't made any full fledged missions yet, as I am far to busy just exploring the map.

I've made simple test runs where I place my 9-man squad deep inside the jungle somewhere, and have smaller 5 man enemy patrols all over the AO.

It's pretty intense to sneak around, not knowing if you'll be shot as you step around the next bush.

9 out of 10 because of the stupid forest objects (Ironically enough, I am the working with you to solve that problem biggrin.gif )