Sign in to follow this  
ziriix

Changing weapon while moving?

How should you switch to sidearm?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. How should you switch to sidearm?

• By stopping and slowly taking out your sidearm?
    • By almost instantly taking the sidearm while moving?

Please also add a cool futurisic weapon change sound to the instant weapon change, that will please the A III audience eve more...also apply instant weapon change to AT Launchers please, that will make the game even more playable...and increase moving spped a bit more especially for lateral movent.

it is well know that neither AT weapsn nor grenades need any preparation to be fired...and firearms have no safety switch and have always a roudn chambered. The way grenades work right might be a good example how to make it better. Especally AT weaposn were much to slow in ArmA II as you could only fire 3 rounds in 10 seconds. I would also suggest to remove any reload animations and make reload instant....add more realism and immersion while fast zipping over the corridor deathmatch map.

Edited by Beagle

So Beagle it's completely unrealistic to drop your rifle on its sling and draw your sidearm?

No offense, but it's not unrealistic to pull a pistol while moving...

So Beagle it's completely unrealistic to drop your rifle on its sling and draw your sidearm?
Instantly without any animation...yes of course. To preapre a pistol kepinf in mind all that garbage on your vest and the rifle hanging on your chest ist will take a good 2 seconds...and another one to get a steady aim. The issue hereby will be the the kind of weapon change will apply to all weapons ranging from pistol to heavy AT lauchers since the mechanic is still the same as in A2. Until that's not changed the fast weapon switch will be a problem. It was trialed in one of the 1.59 betas as part of the "speeding up" everything...it made the player able to spam AT grenades on the fly and on the run reloading weapons close to instantly and runnig at olympic paces....that's nothing that should slip back in. Edited by Beagle

I think the real answer is for there to be a difference between a transition and a draw

Transition: you stash your primary firearm and switch over to your sidearm.

Draw: you need your sidearm in your hands now Your pistol is up and ready in the fastest way possible, probably with an accuracy penalty.

I believe the transition is working properly in my mind. I use an eberlestock and a VCAS sling, and storing my primary rifle, then transitioning to a handgun is an action I need to be stopped for.

The draw could be done in a few ways. Ideally the primary would transition to the left hand to be carried, while the right hand the pistol into firing position. Depending on animation constraints, this would be do-able on the move or very fast. Anyone who played Max Payne 3 will agree its gun-play was ridiculous, but its carry and transition animations were excellent.

No offense, but it's not unrealistic to pull a pistol while moving...

If you want to hit things, and properly stash your primary: I'd say it kindof is.

Some of my posts get held for moderation (surprise) but I just wrote out a system that would delineate between a "transition" and a "draw"

I agree that it shouldn't be instantaneous. Right now the animation is of you slinging your rifle across your back then drawing your sidearm. That's not how it should be. I really don't have a problem with the speed of the draw all that much, but you should be able to transition to your sidearm on the move. Jogging doesn't really matter either way as you can't fire while jogging, but at combat pace and below the transition should happen on the move.

Since its too hard to do the weapon change while moving what about adding a sort of panic switch where you would drop the main weapon and switch to pistol immediately. (Double tap ; perhaps)

I'm assuming this is mainly for snipers changing to pistol. (In close quarters the pistol should be the main weapon anyway)

This, a thousand times this.

This, a thousand times this.

maybe for snipers but with a rifle is usually on a sling and would be able to drop (still keeping the weapon in inventory) and then switching to the side arm

maybe for snipers but with a rifle is usually on a sling and would be able to drop (still keeping the weapon in inventory) and then switching to the side arm

I realise that, but it would require new animations, and I am fine with pretending no one uses a sling in the future.

And I cant say I have tried it, but I image the rifle would get a bit in the way when moving about. (especially when crouching/crawling)

Dropping the thing on the ground and picking it up when you are done seems like a decent way to solve it.

Insta draw, really?

The leap (in the series) from almost useless pistols to insta draw is too much. The drop thing also isn't a good solution IMO.

If nothing more realistic can be done about, I rather live with this "problem".

a) This is a big deal, anyone probably died once because he forgot that this makes his character stop

b) Change it

c) Only with natural animation (no 200% etc.)

d) Put all of BIs money into this

I'm sure there are many other inter animation problems which have to be resolved. E.g., I believe it's the same topic when it comes to change substances while moving.

Answer to your poll: no and no.

Edited by tortuosit

Shit I don't know one soldier who can't change gear on his personage on the f***** move. If he can't he is a dead man in most situations.

BUT NO, You're poll is garbage, you need a third option,

"Gradually swap light arms on the move, with heavy weapon switching taking the longest on the move but sped up while stationary."

Shit I don't know one soldier who can't change gear on his personage on the f***** move. If he can't he is a dead man in most situations.

uhm...most soldiers will not be equiped with a sidearm anyways simply because it's not a very usefull item on a futuristic battlefield.

uhm...most soldiers will not be equiped with a sidearm anyways simply because it's not a very usefull item on a futuristic battlefield.

Yeah regardless, A soldier can get to his gear on the move, he can because he is a soldier.

Or he could just die. I mean, that's something I'm sure a fighting man is willing to do because he can't get to that item thats on him, and not in a backpack or some shit.

Stopping when the enemy is right there is smart right?

RIGHT GUISE?????

Yeah regardless, A soldier can get to his gear on the move, he can because he is a soldier.

Or he could just die. I mean, that's something I'm sure a fighting man is willing to do because he can't get to that item thats on him, and not in a backpack or some shit.

Stopping when the enemy is right there is smart right?

RIGHT GUISE?????

Sorry but that's a strange understanding of what soldiers do most of the time. And no, I can not remember that I could get all my "gear" all the time ready in a blink of an eye...but that might be due to the fact I had to wear a Machine gun most of the time with ammo and exchange barrel carried by my assistant.

Computer games tent to tell stories about everything has to be fast at a rapid pace like the legendary RPG spam of 3 RPGsin 10 seconds...that's simply not how things work n the real world. If you get caught unprepared by surprise in a squad vs. squad engagment it's basically over no matter how fast you can draw your sidearm. The arma series was never about zig zagging alone over the corridor changing weapons all few seconds, hell most of the time you have only a rifle anyway and in fact I think most weapon related actions happen way to fast in ArmA series....sidearm draw might be a exception, but how often is a sidarm used anyway...you need to put a lot of pistol rounds into an armored opponet at 25m while one shot from a rifle will kill you.

Edited by Beagle

I think changing weapons while moving would be a good thing for the Arma engine, instantly on the other hand not so much. If this does happen though, certain weapon switches (primary to AT launcher etc, heavy weapons, maybe even machine guns) should still be done while stationary.

sling rifle front. the "shouldered rifle" thing is from ofp. get rid of it already.

I would have it to where you have 2 options. If you have a sling, you simply drop your gun and pull your pistol/sidearm quickly. If not, you can either chose to drop the weapon to the ground, or slowly put it on your back and pull.

If there is to be such option it should be usable only when moving slow. Not on the run like in hollywood shooters where the rifle magically teleports away like it's not there and moments later a pistol teleports into your hand.

This is what ArmA is. The challenge is not only how fast you can get them fragz but also in soldier's body limitations that real soldiers have to cope with IRL.

I'd love to see change weapon while walking, not running.

The current implementation is making the player too vulnerable, frozen on the spot, until the animation is over. I hope BIS can make it smooth, sped up a bit if need be, or make it so the player can "break" the move if he i.e. quickly needs to duck for cover.

Some sort of quick-drawing would totally ruin the experience.

I am actually not fond of any of these solutions.

Kinda misleading poll: ''Either make a dead stop and draw your weapon, or make it instant.''

I don't think the soldier should make a dead stop when switching weapon and I don't think it should be instant.

I think there should be a proper animation for switching to sidearm (putting rifle on back, taking out the sidearm) and that this animation becomes much slower if you're running.

Either make it more realistic or just let it be as it is.

I believe that the implicit meaning behind the two poll choices is "RV4 only supports one of the above two!"

I would have it to where you have 2 options. If you have a sling, you simply drop your gun and pull your pistol/sidearm quickly. If not, you can either chose to drop the weapon to the ground, or slowly put it on your back and pull.

I like this idea.

The ability to draw a weapon while moving (note the wording; "draw a weapon while moving" != "switch from your rifle to your sidearm while moving") would also be useful in certain mission types like life missions. In those missions, the police are supposed to walk around with no weapons in their hand unless they're needed, so the ability to for example move back and draw a sidearm at the same time would be quite helpful (and realistic - this can be done IRL).

I realise that, but it would require new animations, and I am fine with pretending no one uses a sling in the future.

And I cant say I have tried it, but I image the rifle would get a bit in the way when moving about. (especially when crouching/crawling)

Dropping the thing on the ground and picking it up when you are done seems like a decent way to solve it.

I can't imagine any reason why someone in the future would NOT use a sling on his rifle. Without a sling, your movement is very much restricted since you always have to hold your rifle (or drop it). Also, I can tell from experience that with a properly configured sling, dropping the rifle while drawing the pistol is a viable move and that you can easily do this on the move (as long as you moving slower than jogging). Of course the rifle gets on the way a bit, and in some situation more than just a bit, but most of the time you can adjust the position of the rifle (ie. move it to your side or back) with one hand in less than a second. It doesn't really restrict movement while it's hanging there, it just makes movement more uncomfortable. Also, dropping your rifle and drawing the pistol, even on the move, takes about one second. Maybe two or three if you've never done it before, but I would guess these soldiers are properly trained.