terox

Tutorial: Installation & Configuration of ArmA3 Dedicated Server

I've been trying to test out a dedicated server using both the manual method and TADST and can't get either to work. I couldn't see it in the server browser, so tried connecting directly via IP and that just left me on an infinite A3 loading screen. Not really sure what the problem is, Here's the log.

http://pastebin.com/gJ7mPE3y

My only guess is that it's something related to ports, but I've tried adding them, removing them and just trusting Upnp.

Thanks for any help.

I've managed to get the server to show up in the server browser, but I can't seem to connect as it throws a connecting failed error. Not running any mods on the client or server. Is this likely port related?

This  

1. 22:29:32 Initializing Steam server - Game Port: 2301, Steam Query Port: 2302
  2. 22:29:32 Connected to Steam servers
  3. proves your server install has fully loaded
Edited by terox

So its a connecting issue between you and the server, likely as you said a port issue of some sort.

There maybe more firewalls than you think.

You should expect at the very least that Windows firewall is operating

If this is a virtualisation, then maybe there is an additional level firewall

If your tunning behind a router, that may have a firewall etc

As Savage stated in the other thread you started.

The mission cycle class isn't commented out like it states in the tutorial.

If there is no mission with the name you have listed in the mission cycle class, the server will hang when you first try to connect to it.

That is the reason why the tutorial has that class commented out using

/*

and

*/

As Savage stated in the other thread you started.

The mission cycle class isn't commented out like it states in the tutorial.

If there is no mission with the name you have listed in the mission cycle class, the server will hang when you first try to connect to it.

That is the reason why the tutorial has that class commented out using

/*

and

*/

Thanks Terox - turns out it was his router.. thought I'd post it back here if others run into the same issue

I'm using an ASUS RT-N66U 

Was able to get the server working.

It seems the dedicated server software is very particular about how ports are forwarded with this router. When hosting from client I had individual port forwarding entries instead of ranges, dedicated server seems to require the ports be input as ranges with this router.

So everytime i try and join my server i get "kicked off game" 

Can someone take a look at the RPT and tell me whats wrong? 

RPT

So everytime i try and join my server i get "kicked off game" 

Can someone take a look at the RPT and tell me whats wrong? 

RPT

The RPT tells me your server fully loaded but you had issues connecting.

Try the debugging tutorial in this same forum stickied at the top.

Most likely a faulty mission being read when you connect but could be other issues.

The RPT tells me your server fully loaded but you had issues connecting.

Try the debugging tutorial in this same forum stickied at the top.

Most likely a faulty mission being read when you connect but could be other issues.

============================================================================================= List of mods ===============================================================================================
13:57:54 modsReadOnly = false
13:57:54 safeModsActivated = false
13:57:54 customMods = false
13:57:54 hash = '0262618A2AC7A10BD43D24FC8C486D7C94E0FEA9'
13:57:54 hashShort = 'f1310d55'
13:57:54                                               name |               modDir |    default |               origin |                                     hash | hashShort | fullPath
13:57:54 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
13:57:54                                             Arma 3 |                   A3 |       true |             REGISTRY | 5af2f1357511cdcd104a8547512492e3b6d1f8ff |  abe2a919 | D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3
13:57:54                                  Arma 3 DLC Bundle |            dlcbundle |       true |            NOT FOUND |                                          |           | 
13:57:54                                    Arma 3 Marksmen |                 mark |       true |             GAME DIR | 2ac91f318d5175e81ab7482fcf2a7aa8ae82a213 |  e93f1292 | D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3 Server\mark
13:57:54                                 Arma 3 Helicopters |                 heli |       true |             GAME DIR | a64ae24a6890d3240dad2baf3773e9240feebe5b |  47357fb6 | D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3 Server\heli
13:57:54                                       Arma 3 Karts |                 kart |       true |             GAME DIR | fde685d8a8f69d3e8c396ba1fd2e5727dc45f1f6 |  79fc1794 | D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3 Server\kart
13:57:54                                        Arma 3 Zeus |              curator |       true |             GAME DIR | 91164443d7c2b20cfc3826c614a14818171fbcb1 |  22b0ebcb | D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3 Server\curator
13:57:54 ==========================================================================================================================================================================================================

is this an issue?

I've disabled the mission, and its running vanilla

how can i fix this? 

18:34:15 Attempt to override final function - rscunitinfo_script

============================================================================================= List of mods ===============================================================================================
13:57:54 modsReadOnly = false
13:57:54 safeModsActivated = false
13:57:54 customMods = false
13:57:54 hash = '0262618A2AC7A10BD43D24FC8C486D7C94E0FEA9'
13:57:54 hashShort = 'f1310d55'
13:57:54                                               name |               modDir |    default |               origin |                                     hash | hashShort | fullPath
13:57:54 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
13:57:54                                             Arma 3 |                   A3 |       true |             REGISTRY | 5af2f1357511cdcd104a8547512492e3b6d1f8ff |  abe2a919 | D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3
13:57:54                                  Arma 3 DLC Bundle |            dlcbundle |       true |            NOT FOUND |                                          |           | 
13:57:54                                    Arma 3 Marksmen |                 mark |       true |             GAME DIR | 2ac91f318d5175e81ab7482fcf2a7aa8ae82a213 |  e93f1292 | D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3 Server\mark
13:57:54                                 Arma 3 Helicopters |                 heli |       true |             GAME DIR | a64ae24a6890d3240dad2baf3773e9240feebe5b |  47357fb6 | D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3 Server\heli
13:57:54                                       Arma 3 Karts |                 kart |       true |             GAME DIR | fde685d8a8f69d3e8c396ba1fd2e5727dc45f1f6 |  79fc1794 | D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3 Server\kart
13:57:54                                        Arma 3 Zeus |              curator |       true |             GAME DIR | 91164443d7c2b20cfc3826c614a14818171fbcb1 |  22b0ebcb | D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3 Server\curator
13:57:54 ==========================================================================================================================================================================================================

is this an issue?

I've disabled the mission, and its running vanilla

how can i fix this? 

18:34:15 Attempt to override final function - rscunitinfo_script

Thats normal B.I rpt spam, ignore it

Hi,

How do I upload an edited mission to my server ?

I mean I've created a mission with MCC Sandbox and want to be able to use it in my server. How can I do it please ?

You need to save it as a .pbo file (this can be done within the editor - export function) or using a PBO manager.  Then you need to upload the .pbo file to your dedicated server and place it in the \MPMissions folder.  You can also add it to your server's mission rotation see here for more info under Mission rotation:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.cfg

Is it posible for dedicated servers to get/update workshop addons via steamcmd yet?

Is it posible for dedicated servers to get/update workshop addons via steamcmd yet?

I have no idea m8, its something i've never attempted to use.

I have made a video tutorial displaying and explaining how to set up an Arma3 dedicated server.

It may help users that are a bit more reliant direct visual input on where to do what when and why.

Here is a link to the video :

Hopefully this will help for those who get stuck a little.

EDIT: Also contains troubleshooting for extremely common errors / issues
  • Like 1

I have made a video tutorial displaying and explaining how to set up an Arma3 dedicated server.

Thanks m8

Minor Update

Version 1.18

Date 25th October 2015
Updated the Config_Vanilla.cfg by commenting out and adding new entries to it.
sections changed are

• CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg
    • ​serverCommandPassword
    • allowedLoadFileExtensions
    • allowedPreprocessFileExtensions
    • allowedHTMLLoadExtensions
    • // HEADLESS CLIENT
      • headlessClients[]={127.0.0.1};
      • localClient[]={127.0.0.1};

and I added DeathTech Youtube video

• Like 2

DOWNLOADING & ADDON MANAGEMENT

http://www.armaholic.com/ is the best source for direct downloads

http://play.withsix.com/arma-3 is a download and management application (Steep learning curve but widely used across a lot of servers. You will need to learn this at some point)

http://www.sonsofexiled.fr/wiki/index.php/ArmA3Sync_Wiki_English is a serverside/clientside content management and launcher application, easier to use and set up. We personally use this, it gives better control and ease of use to our clients

Do most people use play with six or Arma3sync for server mod synchronization?   I'm trying to figure out the best and least-effort way of keeping the mods on my server up-to-date.  Are these it?  Have any been missed?

Do most people use play with six or Arma3sync for server mod synchronization?   I'm trying to figure out the best and least-effort way of keeping the mods on my server up-to-date.  Are these it?  Have any been missed?

It depends what you are trying to accomplish and whether you are a 

Preparation prevents piss poor performance type person

or

Wing it and hope for the best type person

My end goal was to set up an addon pack that in the long run caused me the least work, which basically means

1. Easy to administer
  2. Minimal user support
  3. reduced chance of clients screwing it up.

Imo, the only system that can give me this is the A3Sync.

Arma3Sync

PRO's

This allows me to customise / organise the addon pack as I see fit and have the clients run exactly that.

Even down to pre edited userconfig files.

For example,

• We have our TFAR userconfig pre edited to the settings we want so that when the clients download it, they dont need to do anything extra
  • We dont run the ACE mortar pbo, so that isnt even available in the @ACE mod folder download
  • We have CBA in a custom mod folder called @ZCBA (allowing clients to run the PW6 version on other servers

Everything is preconfigured exactly how i want it and every client runs exactly the same version of an addon.

If we no longer want to run an addon, then its simply removed from the repo and the next time the client syncs, it's deleted on their version too.

If there are updates, I update the repo on a Monday evening.

I post that there are updates available to sync.

The clients run the sync app and everything is downloaded and installed for them automatically with the click of a button

I have a google doc which lists all the addons we host. The admins in charge of selecting the content keep this updated and I use this as my "To Do" update worksheet

check out the "Zeus Addons" Tab on the following google spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V76V-deh5vqH8ohq7zt1Ij_118hQTY1R_FUt3lVmpbc/edit?usp=sharing

Once I have updated the repo I run a batch code which updates the 4 instances of Arma we have installed to mirror the repo's mod folders, "keys" folder etc

Cons

• It creates a little more backend work for me to set up, keep updated, however long term causes me much less work and minimal user support.
  • Bandwidth useage (our pack has changed size between just a few Gig to over 16Gig at some point, we're currently around 8Gig at the moment.).

I found this site

https://www.ramnode.com/vps.php

and use this as our repo host site , which was the best I could find to offer good speed and adequate bandwidth and minimal cost

PWSix

Sickboy is a very good sysadmin and technically brilliant and kudos to him for the system he has created.

I haven't taken a look at PW6 for a long time, so I cannot comment on his latest endeavours in this area.

Historically though, the GUI has imo always been too complicated and the app too controlling making it very heavy in the user support department.

It also allows members to update an addon in advance of you updating the server which can be very problematic.

Pro's

Server Bandwidth useage 

Con's

Too complex

Other options

The only other option you have is a web page or google doc full of links that you have to manually edit (That is a lot of work and the end user can still screw things up A LOT

• Like 1

got my server up and running but its not perfect yet. its my first time running a server so bare with me. so i can successfully see my server in the server list, i can connect to it and play but my virtual arsenal only seems to be running RHS stuff and no vanilla no anything else it seems, to make it worse its not ALL the RHS assets i only had some blufor stuff available to me. my server is running RHS for the mission but it has keys for everything else im running. so question is does my server have to run the exact mods im running? or where could i have gone wrong?

The server's "Keys" folder defines the addons the clients are allowed to use. (Whitelist) providing verifysignatures =2 has been defined in your cfg file

The mission defines the addons that both the server and the clients need to run (For that mission)

If the server does not host the addons that the mission requires it will fail to load correctly.

So I would assume your mission is bugged

I'm trying to start dedicated server(Vanilla for start) 

I have all DLCs on my client and I set -mod=heli;kart;mark;curator on server, but getting all mods marked red in Server browser and question mark near server name. How to make all DLCs green?

Also I dont have dlcbundle directory.

I'm trying to start dedicated server(Vanilla for start) 

I have all DLCs on my client and I set -mod=heli;kart;mark;curator on server, but getting all mods marked red in Server browser and question mark near server name. How to make all DLCs green?

Also I dont have dlcbundle directory.

You dont need to define those mods, they are all BIS content, providing those dlc folders exist they load automatically

So basically dont have the server or your client load them using the -mod param and you should be fine

You dont need to define those mods, they are all BIS content, providing those dlc folders exist they load automatically

So basically dont have the server or your client load them using the -mod param and you should be fine

of course I tryed clean start. Nothing changed. All dlcs marked red. 

To avoid questions about dlc on the client, I must say that on other servers dlcs are green

of course I tryed clean start. Nothing changed. All dlcs marked red. 

To avoid questions about dlc on the client, I must say that on other servers dlcs are green

"Ofcourse" to me means you have assumed that I know what you have done already. From your first post, there is very little I can assume, so unless you state everything you have tried, I have no way of knowing.  :)

As per the troubleshooting section, can you post your entire rpt file. 

(Delete all your existing rpt's, restart the server and then dump the newly created rpt file into a pastebin link.... the entire rpt file dont miss out any lines)

"Ofcourse" to me means you have assumed that I know what you have done already. From your first post, there is very little I can assume, so unless you state everything you have tried, I have no way of knowing.  :)

As per the troubleshooting section, can you post your entire rpt file. 

(Delete all your existing rpt's, restart the server and then dump the newly created rpt file into a pastebin link.... the entire rpt file dont miss out any lines)

I tried:

D:\Games\Arma3\arma3server.exe "-profiles=d:\Games\Arma3\profiles" -port=2302 -config=CONFIG_server.cfg -world=empty -name=arma -mod=heli;kart;mark;curator;dlcbundle

D:\Games\Arma3\arma3server.exe "-profiles=d:\Games\Arma3\profiles" -port=2302 -config=CONFIG_server.cfg -world=empty -name=arma -mod=heli;kart;mark;curator

D:\Games\Arma3\arma3server.exe "-profiles=d:\Games\Arma3\profiles" -port=2302 -config=CONFIG_server.cfg -world=empty -name=arma -mod=

D:\Games\Arma3\arma3server.exe "-profiles=d:\Games\Arma3\profiles" -port=2302 -config=CONFIG_server.cfg -world=empty -name=arma

http://pastebin.com/jrAHYwPS

SOLVED?  :unsure:

DLCs in Arma 3 Server 233780 didn't the same as current client DLCs.

So...

I copied DLCs folders from client to server and all became GREEN.

• Like 1