terox

Tutorial: Installation & Configuration of ArmA3 Dedicated Server

Alright first off I'm new to both this forum and Arma 3 so hello everyone.

Enough of that, I just started to try and create a dedicated server. Currently it is running off my laptop and I can connect to it via LAN in my houses on my home connection but cannot find it in the internet listing. I think it may have something to do with ports. I was unsure which firewall rules needed to be incoming or outgoing. Also I do have a router but was unsure If I needed to change anything for it.

P.S. do i need a static IP address?

Thank you for your time and patience,

Floyd

typically a home firewall allows all outgoing but filters incoming, set the requires ports up for both transmit and receive and you should be fine. There are a LOT of threads in the server forums about steam reporting that you should fine useful

typically a home firewall allows all outgoing but filters incoming, set the requires ports up for both transmit and receive and you should be fine. There are a LOT of threads in the server forums about steam reporting that you should fine useful

I have set up all required forwarded ports on my router or so I think ?. UDP : 2300-2305, UDP: 8766, UDP : 27016

I use ZoneAlarm which doesn't allow port forwarding.

So for testing I disabled ZoneAlarm and Windows Firewall.

Double checked the allowed ports on my router but still the server will not show via steam.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

I suppose there must be something else blocking my incoming or something but to be honest this is way too much work considering how much work is needed to get a server going in the first place adding another level of complexity is well.... very BIS :)

I don't suppose your using BT Infinity Terox and if so would care to share how you set up your router ?

I have set up all required forwarded ports on my router or so I think ?. UDP : 2300-2305, UDP: 8766, UDP : 27016

I use ZoneAlarm which doesn't allow port forwarding.

So for testing I disabled ZoneAlarm and Windows Firewall.

Double checked the allowed ports on my router but still the server will not show via steam.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

I suppose there must be something else blocking my incoming or something but to be honest this is way too much work considering how much work is needed to get a server going in the first place adding another level of complexity is well.... very BIS :)

I don't suppose your using BT Infinity Terox and if so would care to share how you set up your router ?

Our server is run from a datacentre m8, not from home

Hi Terox,

I've been following your helpful A3 Dedi Server thread for the last bit. I seem to have mine up and running, but my server is not pulling the CONFIG_vanilla.cfg data into the server settings. Right now my server both shows up in LAN, and in INTERNET server listings. However, after editing the CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg to have a max of 10 players, and a Host Name of "WiseGamers", it successfully shows up on both LAN and INTERNET listings, but as "WINSERVER" (The Computer Name), and a 64 slots. I can only assume those are the defaults.

I didn't follow your instructions to the T. I actually have everything installed and configured in C:\Arma3ServerOne. Here is my Arma3Server.exe target line FYI

C:\Arma3ServerOne\arma3server.exe "-profiles=c:\Arma3ServerOne" -port2302 -config=CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg -world=empty

CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg is definitely located in C:\ArmaServerOne. Have I done something wrong in the target path? I am lost as of right now. Hoping you could possibly advise, or even jump on teamviewer :cool:

Jared,

Edited by JayRad111

Hi Terox,

I've been following your helpful A3 Dedi Server thread for the last bit. I seem to have mine up and running, but my server is not pulling the CONFIG_vanilla.cfg data into the server settings. Right now my server both shows up in LAN, and in INTERNET server listings. However, after editing the CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg to have a max of 10 players, and a Host Name of "WiseGamers", it successfully shows up on both LAN and INTERNET listings, but as "WINSERVER" (The Computer Name), and a 64 slots. I can only assume those are the defaults.

I didn't follow your instructions to the T. I actually have everything installed and configured in C:\Arma3ServerOne. Here is my Arma3Server.exe target line FYI

That seems all perfectly okay

I would paste the rpt file to pastebin having deleted any ones that are there now and restarting the server. This will create as clean an rpt as we can get.

All of the rpt especially the top bit.

You mentioned LAN, this makes me feel that this isn't at a datacentre but run from your house.

This then pushes me to ask if this is a dedicated server you are running or a client/server combo

How are you trying to start the server (Hopefully at this stage by desktop shortcut)

It sounds like the actual config you are running is the one that is created by default when you dont run a profile, this will be found in c\users somewhere

your config_vanilla should be located in

C:\ArmaServerOne\CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg

eg the root of the arma3 install

Other questions

Which branch of install are you running, dedicated server package or the full install package

Also how many other instances of A3 do you have installed on that 1 machine

That seems all perfectly okay

I would paste the rpt file to pastebin having deleted any ones that are there now and restarting the server. This will create as clean an rpt as we can get.

All of the rpt especially the top bit.

You mentioned LAN, this makes me feel that this isn't at a datacentre but run from your house.

This then pushes me to ask if this is a dedicated server you are running or a client/server combo

How are you trying to start the server (Hopefully at this stage by desktop shortcut)

It sounds like the actual config you are running is the one that is created by default when you dont run a profile, this will be found in c\users somewhere

your config_vanilla should be located in

C:\ArmaServerOne\CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg

eg the root of the arma3 install

Other questions

Which branch of install are you running, dedicated server package or the full install package

Also how many other instances of A3 do you have installed on that 1 machine

Hey Terox, thanks for getting back.

Yeah I have it running from home. I am creating a temp server at home right now on my poweredge 850, but intend on importing everything over to a dedicated host by the end of the month. (Just trying to get ahead of the learning curve since I haven't set up an arma ded before.) The rpt shows that I am running branch: Stable. I do in fact use the shortcut on the desktop (admin mode) with those target parameters assigned. I am running only one instance of Arma on this machine as well. Config_vanilla is confirmed in C:\ArmaServerOne\CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg

One thing I notice in my C:\ root directory, there is an output folder that shows up called Arma3ServerOne -port2302 -config=CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg -world=empty.

This folder includes subfolders: Users, BattlEye, and individual RPT files. Is this the "Users" file you mentioned earlier?

Here is the RPT. V V V

http://www.pastebin.ca/2816073

Edited by JayRad111

Right at some point you got yourself mixed up between

"C:\Arma3ServerOne

and

C:\ArmaServerOne

Your config_vanilla for the following shortcut

== "C:\Arma3ServerOne\arma3server.exe" "-profiles=c:\Arma3ServerOne" -port2302 -config=CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg -world=empty

needs to live in the C:\Arma3ServerOne folder

I imagine the mix up was with the -profile address

Is there a way to install the dev-branch on linux via steamcmd? or at all? i tried the -beta beta switch but it does only download and verify the stable version.

thanks.

Is there a way to install the dev-branch on linux via steamcmd? or at all? i tried the -beta beta switch but it does only download and verify the stable version.

thanks.

That's because the correct syntax is -beta development

I am having some problems with ports now on my servers.

So with the latest 1.22 hotfix, I changed the Steam port and the Steam query port on my three servers to follow what the patch notes say about the Steam ports running +1 to each other.

Server 1

Steam port: 2300

Steam query port: 2301

-port=2302

Server 2

Steam port: 2310

Steam query port: 2311

-port=2312

Server 3

Steam port: 2320

Steam query port: 2321

-port=2322

The problem is now the server runs each port assignment + 1. So instead of the port being run on 2302, it runs on 2303. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Should -port= be the same as what the Steam port is set to?

Great resource Terox! Thank you!

I'll start linking link to this thread when the port/steam reporting questions come up in my TADST thread.

PORT FORWARDING (ArmA3) (Firewalls) should be updated since last hotfix 1.22.

Option "Steamqueryport" is obsolete now and is no more 27016.

It is automatic : gameport+1

PORT FORWARDING (ArmA3) (Firewalls) should be updated since last hotfix 1.22.

Option "Steamqueryport" is obsolete now and is no more 27016.

It is automatic : gameport+1

Been meaning to do just that and ya pushed me into it :)

Version 1.16

Date 5th July 2014

Updated port information to reflect changes in steam query port detailed in A3 patch 1.22 hotfix

sections changed are

• PORT FORWARDING (ArmA3) (Firewalls)
  • CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg

Might want to update the info on steam ports (quote from biki):

// STEAM ports are now linked to game-port as +1 for query and +2 to-master

Mainly thinking of the master steam port which would then by default be 2304. Meaning only port range XXX2-XXX5 must be open per server.

Might want to update the info on steam ports (quote from biki):

Mainly thinking of the master steam port which would then by default be 2304. Meaning only port range XXX2-XXX5 must be open per server.

AFAIK, only the steamqueryport is hardcoded.

The steamport still needs to be defined in the config.

The Biki may be in error

AFAIK, only the steamqueryport is hardcoded.

The steamport still needs to be defined in the config.

The Biki may be in error

I wonder if we can find more info about that somewhere...

The edit:

was made by Dwarden, so we should probably assume that it's valid. Even if it's lacking some information.

Great tutorial - got a server on my LAN up and running to test some scripts etc. I can see my server on the LAN browser however I cannot see it in the Internet list, it never comes up even with a filter and I can't connect via an IP either.

I've followed this tutorial to the letter and the only thing I can think of is some kind of NAT or router incompatibility. All the ports have been opened!

I've browsed through this thread and haven't really found anything that might help my problem, can anyone suggest anything I could try?

Thanks

In the "What you need" section near the top of the tutorial, it says "No longer required if installing the server using the the Dedicated server package". How do i install the dedicated server package that doesn't need a steam account that owns Arma 3?

Also, does anyone know how many slots i can host (without lag) on the following specs:

Intel Xeon E3 1225v2 (4 Cores, 8 Threads, 3.4 Ghz)

32 GB RAM

SSD Hard Drive

1 Gb Network Connection (Hosted at a datacenter)

P.S. It will be a Wasteland server and it will be the only server on the machine.

Edited by PAL-18

In the "What you need" section near the top of the tutorial, it says "No longer required if installing the server using the the Dedicated server package". How do i install the dedicated server package that doesn't need a steam account that owns Arma 3?

Also, does anyone know how many slots i can host (without lag) on the following specs:

Intel Xeon E3 1225v2 (4 Cores, 8 Threads, 3.4 Ghz)

32 GB RAM

SSD Hard Drive

1 Gb Network Connection (Hosted at a datacenter)

P.S. It will be a Wasteland server and it will be the only server on the machine.

The Dedi server package.. Steam client > Library >Tools. It's in there.

About your server - it's a good box, we have very similar. I can't say how it will work with Wasteland, but our handled my Domi edit with 20 players and couple hundred AI just fine. FPS was 35 with occasional dips to 25. Perfectly playable.

By following the instructions and selecting

SET A3BRANCH=233780 -beta

in the batch file that calls the steam cmd using whatever steam account you choose, that doesnt need to own the actual game.

I set up a steam account just for this because i was getting fed up of being logged out from steam on my client every time the server ran a patch

My server status is stuck on "Creating" even though i have a map defined in startup parameters and i have a mission configured in the config file. Any idea how to fix this?

Edited by PAL-18

My server status is stuck on "Creating" even though i have a map defined in startup parameters and i have a mission configured in the config file. Any idea how to fix this?

get rid of all non bis content as per the guide and test with pure vanilla

The mission cycle section in the config_vanilla is commented out for a reason.

If there is a mission listed in there that either doesn't exist or is named incorrectly, the server will not load

Once you have proven the vanilla install via a desktop shortcut then start adding 3rd party content, using launchers etc