Sign in to follow this  
tlx

Public master server for ofp:r

I requested support for OFP:R at www.udpsoft.com, makers of the great "All Seeing Eye" which i used for all OFP releases until OFP:R. With the latest update of ASE they posted a statement that they won't support any master server not publically available/to be queried.

Why did you decide to change the master server concept? I'd be glad if 3rd party tools would still work with it.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but the forum and *searches* are virtually unusable again.

Here's the statement from the new version of ASE:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">GlobalOps demo, Gore, Neverwinter Nights, OpFlash Resistance and America's Army don't have public master servers, hence they will not be supported unless the developers add direct support for All-Seeing Eye. This is a free service to game developers, it's up to you to let the developers know what the number one browser is.<span id='postcolor'>

and here's an (old) news post from ASE's homepage:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Game support and technology licensing 30 Mar 2002

We are thrilled to announce that All-Seeing Eye technology is now available for licensing.

Currently we are offering two packages:

All-Seeing Eye game support SDK - instant ASE support for your title, this is currently completely free of charge

In-game browser SDK - ASE tech for in-game browsers, ask for details

Also, starting today, ASE will no longer support games that don't have a public master server. If a game is to be supported by ASE, it has to have a public master server or report directly to the ASE master server. We are offering this service free of charge.

If you are a gamer concerned about ASE support for an upcoming game, let the developers know about us!

Some statistics: in terms of usage we have already surpassed all competition, in just 8 months we have managed to garner a user base of over 1 million, with 5000 new installs every day.<span id='postcolor'>

So, we need something done, ASE support is needed for good multiplayer.

Oh, and this is my first post, yippee.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ripvanfish @ July 04 2002,20:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh, and this is my first post, yippee.<span id='postcolor'>

welcome to community smile.gif

seems like ASE is taking steps to reduce its cost of operation. so basically they are making developers to support them.

will this work?

only the game users can make difference.

thus, I would like BIS to have some sort of ASE implemetation plz.

If al this about a public server is true, I also would like support for Resistance. I know you where once happy with Gamespy but GSA is a hog. ASE is lean and mean...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hees @ July 05 2002,00:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I also would like support for Resistance<span id='postcolor'>

I third that!

Since OFP didn't have any in game browser for the first year ASE has been and still is a very good alternative for lots of OFP players. I hope BIS will support ASE.

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

i must agree with stoner. i have downloaded gamespy twice and twice i have deleted it. with 1.46 i use a host file and connect through the game. if for somereason i dont connect in game i use ASE. i will not use gamespy. now if resistance has an in game browser then thats ok with me but i havnt tried it yet. i would still much rather have the option of using ASE so that i can see where my buds are without ads and junk. it takes long enough to load the game and connect without adding the gamespy process to it.

I apologize for the dupe Placebo. I did not look in the other forums as I thought this was OFP:R related. My bad. Of all things to get rid....why the ASE?

Stoner

http://www.stone-keep.com

I agree with Stoner about Gayspy being shite. I personally will NEVER use it when such a superb program like ASE is available. I used to play OFP every night with the same guys and I loved it. All I had to do was open Eye and wait for my buddy list to refresh and find my mates, then connect to whatever server they were on. Not so now - either I use Gayspy from my desktop and sit there while two sets of ads download and show me shit I couldn't give a toss about while simultaneously navigating all the other crap that it shows me, or I have to use the ingame browser which won't tell me who's playing on what server, whereabouts it is etc etc.

Codemasters might have thought it was good business sense to make a deal with GS but in the end unless something is done to change the ASE situation I can see the numbers of people playing OFP online dropping pretty rapidly. confused.gif

I believe that Stoner is right on the money here. I was gearing up to purchase OFP:R, but if this is true, I had better not. ASE is the ONLY way to go; GS is bloated and antiquated. Ease of use and speed of ASE has removed GS as a tool for the veteran gamer and is only for those who don't know any better (i.e. that's why you only see newbies use it..... HELLO BIS, Get your head out of your rear!!! LISTEN TO THE CONSUMER! WE ARE RIGHT YOU ARE WRONG).

If is true that ASE is not supported, I would appreciate a response (they had better defend their decision) from a lead programmer with BIS.

If I have to Play OFP thur GAYSPY! Then I will NOT BUY IT!

Unit-53

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

You play through an in-game browser. The only thing that you will notice from gamespy is a small logo.

I agree that ASE beats GameSpy, but an ingame browser beats both.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 05 2002,14:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I agree that ASE beats GameSpy, but an ingame browser beats both.<span id='postcolor'>

A

M

E

N

!

I say, use the ingame browser and be merry. No need to touch GSA.

Although, it doesn't serve justice. ASE is the best way to find games outside the browser, hands down. Supporting GSA's awful service only encourages other game producers to do so. Just look at the America's Army game, GSA totally miffed that release. Every time I returned from the game, it took 5 minutes for GSA to catch up with all the unmoderated spammy crap chat that was being flung back and forth. Professionalism was the last thing on my mind.

My vote goes to ASE, especially as a administrator of dedicated server, where I could find exactly how many players is online without need to start up game on my slow office PC.

Marketing department or whoever was responsible IMHO made bad decision.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 05 2002,14:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You play through an in-game browser. The only thing that you will notice from gamespy is a small logo.

I agree that ASE beats GameSpy, but an ingame browser beats both.<span id='postcolor'>

nope sorry 2 say;

ase offers buddylist and favourites with saved passwords;

ase is much clearer, practical and faster;

espacially 4 clan players with many password protected server ase isn't exchangeable vs the ingame lobby;

bis plz support ase, plz

ASE is so easy to use, so precious for all its feature

ASE is not heavy on ressource and it is quick and clear

Gspy, hmmm i prefer not to talk about this crap

Why the hell BIS decided to discontinue ASE support and choose gamespy ?

I dont understand how someone can agree with BIS on that (i can understand that moderator are biaised and never disagree BIS decisions , but not other users)

The unique possibility is that someone had never try ASE, and know only the bad gamespy (and there is no l33t feeling to say ASE beat gamespy, it is a fact 100% right)

I no longer use an ingame browser if ASE support is available

ASE beat any game browser i ever see

Just an example

At a defined time, i can look at different game server in the same time, if i cant find a good ping server with people on OFP at a moment , i will play another game instantly.

OFP ingame browser allow this ?

No , ingame OFP browser never beat ASE flexibilty, it is a fact , period

I strongly hope BIS will think again about their decisions . ASE all the way .

I prefer to play with OFP 1.46-1.60 than with resistance 1.75 now

I have been an online gamer for over 10 years.

OFP is the first game that I have come across that has wanted me to get more involved than just playing.

I currently help to Admin a very busy OFP Dedicated server and am now in the middle of training up a Squad for competion gaming

All Computer games,  reach a User peak and then die off, with just a few die hards left

OFP will inevitably fade away, but why speed up this process by making it harder for those who wish to play, finding a place to play.

ASE have been good enough to provide support for OFP

BIS have turned into the worst TK'ers I've yet seen in the OFP circle to date

The best OFP experience is done with TEAMPLAY

I have to commend you guys for OFP. Its unique and its awseome.

Your consumers have supported you through your various problems and helped you to develop the game into what we have today. We have a good community spirit, but its now started to break down and will continue to do so if nothing is done

Now support them, bring out A.S.E Support

Get it right and get rich BIS

OFP 1.75 won`t show up in ASE, also don`t under the folder "Other versions"? :mad:

I started playing online with UT, because it had an built-in browser (and I had no clue how else to take part in online games), but it was slow and had no big options.

Later I installed another game and it had an program to play online games called "Gamespy".

It was easy to use, fancy, slow and unreliable, but it was the only way to take part in more online games the easy way.

Then I heard of an program called "All-Seeing Eye" and tried it, because Gamespy was totally unsatisfying (except easy handling - and nothing more!wink.gif.

It didn`t looked so fancy like Gamespy, but it`s support of many games, it`s speed, it`s reliability and it`s many options impressed me immediately.

After that I never used Gamespy again, except the few games which weren`t supported by ASE at the time - but they always add new gamesupport fort ASE in short time.

And all this convinced me so much, that I registered ASE not 2 months after I tried it the first time - and I would never pay an Cent for Gamespy!

An program worth using is an program worth buying!

Very useful for OFP are the options t separate the servers between games already playing and for server where the payers are still in the forum and are about to begin.

Not to mention to sort the servers by ping, drop out rate, nation, password or not, buddylist etc

So pleeeease support All-Seeing Eye...

But the problem with game industry is, that the people who got absolutely no clue, are the ones who got to make the important decisions. sad.gif

Attn: BIS

Gamespy Sucks, ASE Rules, you are smacking your veteran players in the head with a 2x4. Please stop.

Thank you.

smile.gif

I just got the ips of all the servers on gayspy and ASE that I could then I just added them to a hosts.txt, way better than either one of them. But now that OFP has an ingame browser..... I hope it wont be as unstable as the spy.

yep and i love how u can filter out the server location so u can only have servers based in the UK. another factor is ASE seems to have more servers for connection than GS

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([DGF|Q] @ July 05 2002,17:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 05 2002,14:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You play through an in-game browser. The only thing that you will notice from gamespy is a small logo.

I agree that ASE beats GameSpy, but an ingame browser beats both.<span id='postcolor'>

nope sorry 2 say;

ase offers buddylist and favourites with saved passwords;

ase is much clearer, practical and faster;

espacially 4 clan players with many password protected server ase isn't exchangeable vs the ingame lobby;

bis plz support ase, plz<span id='postcolor'>

It obviously depends on your needs. For me the relief of not having to start an MP game outside OFP is greater then any of ASE's features.

I agree though that a buddy list and a list of favourites would be highly desirable.

I am not a heavy FPS player. I mainly stick to RPG's. The first FPS I played was Doom, and of course Castle Wolfenstien. After Wolfenstein, I didnt play another FPS until Return to Castle Wolfenstein came out, and playing online was unreal due to the amount of bullets you could throw into some people before they died. I can understand headshots will kill faster than torso shots, but damn, 2 or 3 shots to the torso will kill most people. I kept playing though cause many of my friends played it. Then one day OFP came out and all the sudden, everyone was off the RTCW server and on OFP. The transition was quite rocky since I was used to eating full clips before dying. I got shot twice on Steal the car, thought I was cool, took 2 more steps and took a face-plant into the dirt. I'm thinking, "WOW, I cant wait to play this online. Its not gay like RTCW. Its realistic combat". And it only got better, because, lo and behold, I could look up OFP servers on All Seeing Eye, and I didnt have to put up with the gayspy bullshit to play online. I'm thinking, this is gonna kick ass. I can add all my buddies to the buddy list. I can make a favorites folder for OFP servers. I can filter between games. All the cool features of ASE worked for OFP. All of which really came in handy, because I was a major noob(ASE showed plenty of servers to switch to so I could jump server to server looking for people who sucked as much as me).

After the ease of ASE, I will not go through the gayspy bullshit. OFP SP was ok. After a few missions, I was ready to do MP. SP was just something to do when bored, and I have yet to finish SP due to the better gaming online. Should I buy OFP:R, it would be for the MP aspect only. If I have to use gamespy in any form to play online, I will not purchase OFP:R. I'm sorry my first post here had to be on this subject, but I'd sure like to know what bis was thinkin.

Yes it's a shame that ASE wont work for Resistance, but the ingame browser is very good addition and it shows that BIS is going to right direction with MP. Maybe when next patch comes out BIS has realized that ASE is the only right choice.