Sign in to follow this  
Ghebraant

So what happens now?

Vague question, I know. Let me elaborate:

The game's AI is still broken, and this game's section of the forums seems to be dying out now. I'm wondering if the developers are gonna keep trying to fix it or just call it quits and move over to ArmA 3. Certainly feels like it, and it would make sense given how hard this game has been slammed by reviewers. I want to give BIS the benefit of the doubt given their record, but it seems like this game was just a cash-grab. The beta-test would seem to contradict that, but on the other hand they totally failed to address the biggest flaw in the game that multiple testers -- myself included -- reported time and time again, and continued to release the game before this was fixed, so I don't know what to think. I'm trying to enjoy the game, but it's just not possible; it brings more frustration than pleasure. Now I'm thinking I should have asked for a refund long ago, but in waiting for BIS to fix their broken product, I don't know if I'm entitled to it anymore. I'm hoping for the best, though.

So what happens now?

Wait for the next patch. Having played BIS games for over 10 years, I assume that a patch is likely being worked on and will be released at some point.

ArmA:CWA released in 2001 and regularly patched until 2004, the last patch was released in 2011.

ArmA1 was a game flawed in many ways as well at release, and that was supported from 2006-2009.

ArmA2 is also still being supported after 3 years.

It's a matter of when, not if, a new patch is released.

I have to admit I have been thinking the same thing. Days now go past without a single post on the forums. There was a flood of interest in the modding aspect of the game at first, but now it has died off, I wonder if everyone just gave up. The latest patch doesn't work for me, same as the first patch, game doesnt launch after applying the patch. I reported this and was told it was being looked into, but then nothing. We were promised mod tools and map editor, but these have also not been delivered. I'm wondering what their motivation is for continuing to work on this. I think the Arma case is different as it is a FPS and therefore a very mainstream product, Carrier Command is a special interest product by comparison.

I have to admit I have been thinking the same thing. Days now go past without a single post on the forums. There was a flood of interest in the modding aspect of the game at first, but now it has died off, I wonder if everyone just gave up. The latest patch doesn't work for me, same as the first patch, game doesnt launch after applying the patch. I reported this and was told it was being looked into, but then nothing. We were promised mod tools and map editor, but these have also not been delivered. I'm wondering what their motivation is for continuing to work on this. I think the Arma case is different as it is a FPS and therefore a very mainstream product, Carrier Command is a special interest product by comparison.

Imo Carrier Command is less of a niche in the sci-fi RTS genre than ArmA is in FPS, in fact I don't even consider it a first person shooter. First person shooters resolve everything through violence, where as in ArmA it is often better to avoid contact and find another solution. ArmA is almost in a genre of it's own these days with near zero competition. The classic Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six games could compete with OFP, but not the modern "reboots". Call of Duty, Medal of Honor and Battlefield don't even belong on the same planet as ArmA. Players transitining from these games have a very hard time adapting to the unforgiving gameplay and most quickly switch to other games. Having played CCGM I found it much easier to adapt to, even though I never play other sci-fi RTS games. There are some aspects that take getting used to and learning, but it's nothing compared to the time I spent not dying every 3 minutes in OFP (ArmA:CWA).

Edited by JdB

I suspect most people that used to post here are simply waiting for the patch, I myself included :D

The recent beta patch, if it'd work for you, fixed many of the pathfinding problems that are maprelated. I'm hoping the next step in the patch development will be the fixing of the AI, more precisely the navigation getting confused when another walrus is near the the planned path. Once that is sorted, (and the few remaining maprelated issues) most navigation will work flawlessly.

F*** me NO. They can't, just can't give up. I absolutely love this game but am waiting for the fixes before I carry on, as saves probably won't be compatible. Get those darn fixes in, and CCGM is pure gold, and will probably live on for a thousand years.

What gets to me is the deafening silence more than anything. I'd just like to know whether the game has been de-prioritized following release, because if it has, there's no point to me or others sticking around and prodding them with these threads once in a while.

PS: If you must know, I did try the latest beta patch.

I've been waiting 20 years for someone to remake Carrier Command. I'm prepared to wait another month or two for the fixes and strategy to happen. Here's an educated guess as to what I think is happening:

The poor reviews and sales are making the number crunchers unhappy. The "quick win" which CCGM promised hasn't materialised, and a nice little earner they thought they could use to fuel some of their more mainstream products hasn't delivered. The desire not to throw good money after bad is high, and with all-hands-on-deck needed for other projects, the management have been pressured to relocate the dev team.

I'd be surprised if there was more than one or two devs left actively working on this now. They are trying to clean up the script files, make the modding tools community friendly, while simultaneously trying to write some documentation, and keep the project managers off their backs long enough to get the truly necessary patches out there. They have no community-interaction backup, so have to spend any spare time they have to check these forums and reply to us being all bitchy at them. It's just a matter of time before a manager at BI decides that CC:GM has taken enough money out of the pot, and needs to be shut down.

So, let's give whoever is still working on this game some time. Once they've tidied up the script files, written up some docs, and got a modding environment they're happy to unleash on us, we can get stuck in again. Until then, I guess we just have to chat about how awesome it'll be once the bugs are squished.

To The Devs working on CC:GM, a short message:

HELLO! We're here! We're moderately intelligent, and would love to help! Just keep us in the loop, and if you need stuff testing, bung it out and we'll play with it! We want this to be a success too!

It's an interesting theory.

I really do hope there is more development being done. The game as it stands is on the brink of greatness. Just a little more fixing and new features and it'll be fantastic.

I agree with a lot of what nww02 said. For most of the new generation, a new franchise. Some of the older generation will remember but a lot of people don't like change so they just go for the army shooters they're used to.

It's in a niche that only appeals to certain gamers [ sci-fi, slow paced, strategy, open world ], and doesn't feature shooting a terrorist in the head or driving really fast away from the police. Along with that, it probably got a bumpy start and a few bad reviews because of the AI. BI fix everything eventually, remember they are 2 men down. It is sorely lacking multiplayer which something of this scope really needs these days to stay competitive.

On Modding. I was poking around in the files, but since the devs were fixing things that we were also changing via mods, I just stopped and am now waiting for the patch to be more complete and less beta.

Edited by disorder

On Modding. I was poking around in the files, but since the devs were fixing things that we were also changing via mods, I just stopped and am now waiting for the patch to be more complete and less beta.
Fair enough. But please do keep modding once it's stablised. You could be the one to make this game awesome :D

I played XCOM Enemy unknown and Dwarf Fortress lately. Lost interest in CCGM, but will return again... Also, DayZ still...

I'm cutting my losses and I've decided to ask for a refund. Again on that subject, I really hope they don't invoke some limit on how I'm not entitled to a refund because too much time has passed since purchase, that would be really rotten of them, given the circumstances, but I'm hoping they'll do the right thing.

lulz, the games dead. Could of been great, crappy publisher decisions put one knife in, overzealous-moderation to pamper the ego's of the moderators and try and stamp out all hope of the community (which they pretty much killed) resurrecting this title.

Game sucks, cool premiss, most things well executed, lacks polish, and is feature incomplete. Fail. Move on, do not buy another BI game.

lulz, the games dead. Could of been great, crappy publisher decisions put one knife in, overzealous-moderation to pamper the ego's of the moderators and try and stamp out all hope of the community (which they pretty much killed) resurrecting this title.

Game sucks, cool premiss, most things well executed, lacks polish, and is feature incomplete. Fail. Move on, do not buy another BI game.

Already posted a politely worded letter to the staff. IMHO The community is on life-support right now. The problem is/was that suggestions get forced into the Sticky but cannot be discussed there. So that means all discussions about different ideas are over before they start.

The game and this community showed a lot of promise, lets hope its not ruined.

(edited because something feels different already, maybe someone "back there" agreed with me)

Edited by disorder

Yeah it looks like any progress has slowed to a crawl, so I'm bailing. Might check back in a few months and see if there are some tools/fixes. It can definitely be improved if they chose to do so, but the release was a total CF and I'm pretty annoyed about that. After all the effort put in to making it mostly great, it's disappointing it couldn't get the attention to detail it deserved. Peace out.

No devs posting here does not mean that there is no progress being achieved. Devs have many times said that they are working hard to fix the issues. The last beta path was released less than 3 weeks ago........

Really, I think some of you guys are too impatient. Things do not get fixed in a couple days nor in a couple weeks. Give a proper time lapse before judging others.

I myself have been playing other games and doing other stuff for a while. I have already gotten maybe 60 hours of good entertainment out of this game so I'm satisfied on that point.

I do see a lot of potential with this game in the form of what any talented modder might do with it when the promised modding support arrives. I myself will certainly take a look at the island editor once that come out. But as things stand right now I for the moment feel kind of 'done' playing this game.

It's a great title that has given me much enjoyment, I will likely play it again at some later time but for the moment I just feel I have explored it fully.

I agree. From what I have seen on here, what started very promising with lots of potential appears to have sunk without trace.

Poor reviews, little to no developer involvement (apart from that one little burst which was greatly appreciated, thanks dram and others!), a community basically spurned by their own forum moderators. This is not a public discussion of forum moderation, but feel free to hand out infractions if you feel the need to do so - at this point I don't think anyone really cares.

It's a real shame - this game could have been great, and I am sadly disappointed. Hopefully things will pick up soon, the mod tools will be released, and what remains of the community can pick up where the devs left off, and with a bit of luck bring out something that we can all have fun with. Personally I'm looking forward to storming a beach full of drones in a Walrus - something like Silent Cartographer from Halo ;)

There are moments of greatness in CCGM, it would be good if you can make it all great ;)

I'm just waiting for the next patch too. At the moment defeating the enemy carrier in strategy mode is too easy for me which is the big drawback re-playability wise, so there's no point going back to play what will be short predictable game. Until the next patch and/or the modding tools are released it's probably going to be a bit quiet. It's been a while since the last update so hopefully not too much longer to wait.

I agree. From what I have seen on here, what started very promising with lots of potential appears to have sunk without trace.

Everything has been written here. Not a bad game per se, but needs polishing in order to be replayable and interesting. Handing out infractions on MINOR things does a lot more damage to an anyway dying forum part than maybe a mod may guess. The closing of some threads is just sad.. Dying communities need discussion and heat, they [edit: are] typically offtopic, unjust and against all rules! Topics may even not "deserve it's own thread". Over and out.

Still looking forward to what our good modders make of it one day.

Edited by tortuosit

Completely agreeing with Tortuosit. Yes, that was out loud. I've been around here from the start, assisting where I could, and I'm saddened by... well, I cannot think of any way to put it without being penalised for it.

Having said that- I do strongly stress, that I'm still fully behind the product. All it needs, is the patch that, as I'm assuming, the devs are still working very hard on. They've had a tinker with the map nav grid, now they were looking into, if I'm not mistaking, the walrus nav AI acting up when another walrus is in it's path. (I.E. on follow, or simply moving to thesame spot as others)

Once that has been improved, the biggest issues will be delt with and everyone will be happy to pick up Carrier Command. Releasing the beta patch with the nav grid fix was a great step, now we're all getting curious about the next one.

Any word on progress of the patch from the devs? As I mentioned in earlier posts- loving any tech details on what's being worked on, plus, it'll let us all know that there is in fact still hard work going on behind the scenes :D

@ tortuosit

Infraction +1 for discussing the moderation in public. When you have something to say about it you can do that using the options the forum rules give you.

Completely agreeing with Tortuosit. Yes, that was out loud. I've been around here from the start, assisting where I could, and I'm saddened by... well, I cannot think of any way to put it without being penalised for it.

Voldemort? Bloodhound? He forgot to lock this thread. I'm childish? Yes. Leads to my leaving as someone who wrote here? Yes, probably ;) But I will read the forum and be a consumer only... if there'll be something to consume, that is.