Sign in to follow this  
jakerod

Zero Dark Thirty

I'm always curious to know what you guys think about upcoming movies, especially military ones, so I thought I would bring this one up.

sXkccpnoetw

In short, the movie is about the hunt for Bin Laden. I think it looks pretty good. Not sure how accurate it is going to be or anything like that but it looks like something I would enjoy.

Ah yeah, this is the officially sanctioned movie (Republicans accused Obama of trying to cash in on the Bin Laden raid by giving the director access to private archives). Hope unlike with the Hurt Locker this one is a bit more true to what these guys actually do for a living, EOD people always laugh when that movie is brought up.

Weeew! the big screen debut of the Stealth Hawk.

They seem to have gotten the majority of the gear right! I'd have to make a small complaint that is all of the devgru guys seem to be sporting the same helmet, same setup. In reality there was a mixture of TC2001's and Ops-Core Maritimes (proven by picture released shortly after the raid) and likely to have aesthetic differences such as velcro colour, spray paint pattern etc... At least it's not some SEALs in desert DCU sporting boonie hats with G3 rifles :)

Yeah the gear looks pretty authentic I agree. First time I've seen GPNVG's in a film. Looks like either No Easy Day was the directors favourite book or they have some good advisers on-board.

Apparently No Easy Day's author already consulted for Medal of Honor: Warfighter through a third-party company (consulting to EA)... and he wasn't the only one. I wouldn't be surprised personally though if a number of gear or tactical "inaccuracies" were intentional, since the movie will likely be the closest that a non-enthusiast will get to "what happened" beyond the news stories in May 2011 and thus much greater exposure.

I wouldn't be surprised personally though if a number of gear or tactical "inaccuracies" were intentional.

Yep. And the Stealth Hawk too.

..... can't have 1 single film becoming the biggest source of intelligence, for "others", since black hawk down ;)

Gnat;2250778']Yep. And the Stealth Hawk too.

..... can't have 1 single film becoming the biggest source of intelligence' date=' for "others", since black hawk down ;)[/quote']Well, it's nowhere as "solid" a source of intel as the real thing. ;) Only incompletely destroyed, remember? Complete with photographs that became the basis for the infamous "MH-X", the parts being reportedly examined by Chinese intelligence with Pakistani permission, and (though this is more likely thanks to the publicly available information than anything exclusive to Pakistani/Chinese intelligence) a subsequent Hong Kong model kit? :lol:

While there's a photo of what appears to be the movie version of the helicopter, I imagine that anyone who walked off with bits and pieces of the aircraft already has the real "biggest source of intelligence".

So what's up with the movie called Code Name: Geronimo, same story, claims to be made by the same people, but doesn't look quite as good. :p

So what's up with the movie called Code Name: Geronimo, same story, claims to be made by the same people, but doesn't look quite as good. :p
It ended up becoming the made-for-TV movie "SEAL Team Six: The Raid on Osama Bin Laden" that aired on National Geographic on November 4th.

Ah I see, thanks mate. Do you know if it's any good?

Has anyone seen Zero Dark Thirty yet? Any reports on if it's good or realistic or whatnot?

I would like to watch it, but I'm skeptical because the same woman directed the hurt locker, and that movie wasn't exactly accurate.

Has anyone seen Zero Dark Thirty yet? Any reports on if it's good or realistic or whatnot?

I would like to watch it, but I'm skeptical because the same woman directed the hurt locker, and that movie wasn't exactly accurate.

I watched it and it bored the shit out of me. The main woman character is so one-dimensional it was annoying.

Would not recommend.

Abs

The women felt like a movie version of Carrie from Homeland. DevGru guys acted like some popped collar douchebags, sweeping their buddies with their 416s in the compound, really bad representation of the real quiet professionals. Overall it's worth watching once since I did enjoy real life references like the

Camp Chapman bombing, Marriott Bombing and a tiny hint to the "Raymond Allen Davis" incident when the Maya was driving into the embassy with the protest outside?

The women felt like a movie version of Carrie from Homeland.

I said this exact same thing to my girlfriend. I also hate Carrie.

Abs

I said this exact same thing to my girlfriend. I also hate Carrie.

Abs

LOL sorry but this reminded me of my grumpy old redneck Uncle Harry.

"Hey Uncle Harry, want some pie?"

*Southern Drawl* "I hate pie."

"Hey Uncle Harry, wanna watch Saving Private Ryan?"

"I hate cryin movies."

:p

On point: Surprising that it was boring. I know Hurt Locker had its faults (a little weepy for my tastes) but I would never call it boring.

LOL sorry but this reminded me of my grumpy old redneck Uncle Harry.

"Hey Uncle Harry, want some pie?"

*Southern Drawl* "I hate pie."

"Hey Uncle Harry, wanna watch Saving Private Ryan?"

"I hate cryin movies."

:p

On point: Surprising that it was boring. I know Hurt Locker had its faults (a little weepy for my tastes) but I would never call it boring.

Lol...I know I sound like a grumpy old man. I guess I'm getting there, as I'll be 32 in a few months.

I enjoyed Hurt Locker, because I took it for what it was. It didn't waste my time; it got straight to the point and told a story.

ZDT took way too long in telling its story. It's 2.5 hours, and it easily could have told it in 1:30. The scenes didn't really seem to "impact" each other; you could have easily cut out scenes from the movie and not taken anything away from it. You don't really care for the characters too much either. Like, they could have lived or died, and I really wouldn't have given a shit. Especially the lead chick. God, how I prayed that her character would die.

The only thing I liked was the stealthhawk and those cool NVGs. Plus, I liked some of the raid.

Abs

Well, it's not like they needed to make us wonder who would live and die. Spoiler alert: Osama dies!

Osama dies!

A gif on the movie theatre screen saying these two words would have made me give it a standing ovation for two hours and would have been more enjoyable than the actual movie. It could even be in comic sans or papyrus and I'd still clap.

Abs

Surprised that most of you didn't like it. Every scene I've watched has left me wanting to watch more of it.

The women felt like a movie version of Carrie from Homeland. DevGru guys acted like some popped collar douchebags, sweeping their buddies with their 416s in the compound, really bad representation of the real quiet professionals. Overall it's worth watching once since I did enjoy real life references like the

Camp Chapman bombing, Marriott Bombing and a tiny hint to the "Raymond Allen Davis" incident when the Maya was driving into the embassy with the protest outside?

I don't see what is unrealistic about the DevGru guys acting like "popped collar douchebags". I've honestly never known one but from what I know about a lot of the soldiers and marines I have met (not all of them) that wouldn't be a surprising trait. I didn't notice guys sweeping their buddies either and I was looking for it when I watched about half the scene last night. Maybe it occurs earlier than when I started though. I was at least glad that the DevGru guys acted human in this which is in great contrast to a lot of other movies (and in almost every game) where they just act like bad asses the entire time. Once again though I haven't seen all the SF scenes just the raid.

Osama dies!

Oh thanks a lot you smartass, I ain't seen the movie yet. I'm going to report you for not putting that in spoiler tags :p

But yeah, for all cirklejerking in the movie world by people who've never even served in the Coastguard about how realistic Bigelow's films are, I've never really thought she deserved much more than a C rating for the Hurt Locker. The only thing they pulled off there was the setting and props, and then it was just decades old WW2/Vietnam movie stereotypes but set in Iraq.

I liked the fact it wasn't all about the end-stage and DEVGRU. I enjoyed the story of a CIA agents sheer determination to find UBL and all those internal political ramblings she had to deal with. Enjoyed it. Would watch again! The CQB was pretty good, post-crash with the muzzle sweeping my first thought was, "Another Hollywood movie" but it actually turned out not too shabby. Back-to-the-wall type events thankfully were like 10 seconds long! ;) That scene was almost perfect.

I feel that they got it right with following the main character through all these events throughout the years, some of which didn't connect to the chase for UBL, but at the same time they failed because they chose to make it into another one of those "fight the system, solo" movies. I'm sorry, but it just feels stupid to believe that there was practically only one person at the entire CIA actually trying to catch UBL for the decade it took, and that that person would be up against so much sheer resistance.

Then the whole "let's only have one single character, and keep eveyone else as speaking prop" idea made it feel like a video game, because that single person could, and did almost everything: Interrogation, torture, field work, analysing intelligence, lead and initiate a series of missions, even monitoring the Pakistani military radio nets, monitoring radar findings and calculating how long until the F-16s were inbound, and even being responsible for ID'ing the body. I mean, especially the last three were just common-sense-out-the-window ridicolous. She pretty much did everything short of tagging along and capping UBL herself. Speaking of which, why would that Middle Eastern CIA agent (the one who talked to the MC guys in Pakistan) be sent along on the raid? They really wasted anything they could've gathered from those first hand accounts they claimed they had been granted access to.

I liked the fact it wasn't all about the end-stage and DEVGRU. I enjoyed the story of a CIA agents sheer determination to find UBL and all those internal political ramblings she had to deal with. Enjoyed it. Would watch again! The CQB was pretty good, post-crash with the muzzle sweeping my first thought was, "Another Hollywood movie" but it actually turned out not too shabby. Back-to-the-wall type events thankfully were like 10 seconds long! ;) That scene was almost perfect.
Re: the muzzle sweeping: Remember that not too long ago one of those SEALs was Mr. "My Name Is Burt Macklin. I'm With The F**king FBI", give him a little leeway will ya? :p

No Easy Day mentions in chapter 10 that "a terp from the agency" called Ali was participating, and later on it's mentioned that he's tasked with the role depicted in the movie, dealing with any locals and police who might approach; the book doesn't go into further detail at all about the interpreter, so his background may simply be artistic license.

Yeah. It sort of felt like one of all those dumbed down movies were they keep the main characters in as many scenes as possible, so they won't have to introduce even a single new character and explain him, and make sure that the viewers understand that the scenes in the movie are actually all related to each other, as opposed to random scenes with no plot :p