DanWelch

Arma 2 israel map project wip.

Hello everyone, today I present the beginning of my WIP ArmA2 Israel Map project. I will be starting with the southern region with the Israel/Egypt/Gaza Borders and Western Negev. I will complete another 3 maps as well,,,,,Westbank/Jordan,,,Lebanon/Golan/Syria,,,, Israel/Negev/Saudi Arabia.

I hope you enjoy and can wait patiently

here are a few pics to wet your appetite, i will upload more photos in the future.

~DanWelch

FOR PICS, USE THESE LINKS.

http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=19235&d=0

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.329546370476528.69020.100002635029344&type=1

Wow sounds like a big project but I like the pics I see.

It would be great to recreate the border area with Egypt or with Lebanon..

I will follow this thread for sure:)

This sounds great, especially with the lobo mod coming out sometime in the future. I'm scrolling thru this on my phone so I may have somehow missed it, but how big is the map?

Looking good so far. By the looks of the pics you could be making a fairly high performance terrain, which would be great. Please don’t fall under the spell of too much clutter. In real life there is not the amount of clutter BIS thinks there is, not every garden in the world is overgrown and/or looks like a meadow of some type.;).

Really good luck with your project and I look forward to following progress..:)

Edit: Just thinking of what it reminded me of, ‘sbordjistan’ is the one it reminds me of..

the only problem with clutter, is the game engine, The map is so big, it would be nearly impossible for me to place something like grass one object at a time by hand. So I have it to where the dark green color in my mask (which represents "green zones") cluttered with more green grass and bushes than anywhere else in the map.and until i get some good pics of the real area I cant be 100% accurate on my vegitation placement. I only have google earth to depend on atm. The map by far still holds less clutter and vegitation than chernarus so performance on everyones PC should not be an issue.

I just googled Egypt and Israel border to check out the satelite and it looks more deserty to me. The images you have above are a bit too green maybe?

Again for everyone.. 1. this map is still WIP 2.this is the GAZA/EGYPT/Israel border map all the way to the sea cost. Northern Sinai along the coast has lots of Agricultural land with grass, trees etc. its not all desert (but I am working on getting rid of so much of the green layers to keep it from looking like a lush golf course). 3. google earth is not up to date and does not show all seasons. 4.this map project will not be a 100% representation of the exact geographical area nor is it to 100% scale.

The photos I show are only certain areas in the game on the map. This map is 2048X2048 so its quite big and I cant show everything at once. The most recent pics are of the Northern Sinai sea cost with palm trees and brush. Some times of the year it can get this green. but do not expect a 100% detailed map of the real deal. detail will come as time passes.

Edited by DanWelch

the only problem with clutter, is the game engine, The map is so big, it would be nearly impossible for me to place something like grass one object at a time by hand. So I have it to where the dark green color in my mask (which represents "green zones") cluttered with more green grass and bushes than anywhere else in the map.and until i get some good pics of the real area I cant be 100% accurate on my vegitation placement. I only have google earth to depend on atm. The map by far still holds less clutter and vegitation than chernarus so performance on everyones PC should not be an issue.

Good to see that someone finally makes a Israel / Levant map. Im waiting for this for a long time now. Especially for such a big one.

One note about your Pics: Dont go grazy with palm trees. You dont see a lot of these in the wild countryside. Its mostly along boulevards in Towns and city as decoration. Beside Datepalm plantages there definitly no "palm-forests". And the palm you see in that area are Date-Palms. The ones on you pic look more of palms on tropical islands.

thanks for the info i will adjust it accordingly. I really wish I had some pics of the area IRL mainly for vegetation and ground textures. I don't wanna be 100% accurate on infrastructure but I can at least make it look accurate in its topography and terrain texture, but I need some help, bing and google just aren't cutting it. And its kinda hard seeing Israel from all the way in Texas.

...PS...Everyone please be aware that I am very limited as far as objects,trees,etc. There has not been very many addons created that will suit this terrain 100%.

Edited by DanWelch

thanks for the info i will adjust it accordingly. I really wish I had some pics of the area IRL mainly for vegetation and ground textures. I don't wanna be 100% accurate on infrastructure but I can at least make it look accurate in its topography and terrain texture, but I need some help, bing and google just aren't cutting it. And its kinda hard seeing Israel from all the way in Texas.

...PS...Everyone please be aware that I am very limited as far as objects,trees,etc. There has not been very many addons created that will suit this terrain 100%.

Im in Israel every year for a couple of month. I try to collect some good scenery pictures I have on my hard drive, but I usually stay in the center around Tel Aviv or in the north. Israel has a really divers countryside. But if you just want it to look more "levantinish" I think you can also take pics from the north. Just add fewer trees.

looking at your island size its the same as fayshkhabur.

if u keep your clutter distance around "clutterGrid = 1.5;" is save

good luck :)

This is the area i am working on right now. I would like to know what type of trees are being farmed in these nurseries.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/usslouisiana/Untitled.png (808 kB)

Thats already egypt, right? Honestly I have no Idea what kind of stuff they grow over there. But its probably Olives, Dates, citrus plants (Israel is one of the biggest producers of oranges), figs. On the coastline on top of the dunes you also have these large bushes.

If you need good vegetation for your map, you should look for the vegetation they used for the CWR2 Rearmes Malden Island.

You choose one of the more comlicated areas for your map. Its just flat with large urban areas and agricutlural fields in between. Northern Israel and the Golan would have been easier I guess.

But nevermind, I really appreciate your work. I wonder why noone else tried to make a large levantine map for Arma2. It has been a conflictzone for centuries.

Ok, now I have removed my vegitation and I am re-doing it. Less Acacia in the desert, More random brush and some Acacia. No more tropical coconut palms, I am adding date palms, bushes, and brush. I have increased the amount of hills and dunes(it will be great for tanks to dig into and mask in:), I have actually by hand created large agricultural farmland along the coast, I got rid of so much green in the satellite layer and ground layer and will be placing the vegetation on the sand as is in real life.

Ok, now I have removed my vegitation and I am re-doing it. Less Acacia in the desert, More random brush and some Acacia. No more tropical coconut palms, I am adding date palms, bushes, and brush. I have increased the amount of hills and dunes(it will be great for tanks to dig into and mask in:), I have actually by hand created large agricultural farmland along the coast, I got rid of so much green in the satellite layer and ground layer and will be placing the vegetation on the sand as is in real life.

Btw. have you ever contacted the guys from the lost brothers mod? i think they have some israelis working for it, who might willing to help you out.

Sand Dunes and vegetation coming along(not finished) I am now working on the Partition Wall along the Gaza/Egypt border(Philadelphi corridor).

arma2oa2012-12-1620-24-39-38_zps0b2ea985.jpg

arma2oa2012-12-1620-23-31-06_zps4fe875c3.jpg

arma2oa2012-12-1620-23-03-80_zpsa52ea4be.jpg

arma2oa2012-12-1620-22-45-55_zpsb6a88708.jpg

arma2oa2012-12-1620-21-59-39_zps681454ee.jpg

arma2oa2012-12-1620-21-24-88_zps6961de37.jpg

arma2oa2012-12-1620-20-09-33_zps74e4be5c.jpg

arma2oa2012-12-1620-18-40-83_zps22d480d8.jpg

Edited by DanWelch

This is really looking good so far. Be very interesting to see the wall in place.

Great work..:)

looks awesome, love the sand texture btw can I request that you try and make the island compatible with MSO? ;)