Sign in to follow this  
Psychomorph

Holo sights, zooming and scope sights

Isnt it possible to use RTT at scopes, by not losing so much performance, if u just scale down the graphics surrounding the scope and blur it out like hell?

Basicly the view trough scope is like normal graphics and all around is very low?

Good idea, I guess that would help a lot, however I think the scene would still have to be rendered once at whatever settings are being used, then again at low settings, which I'd imagine is still quite a drain on the graphics card, though obviously not as much as two full-setting renders. Some people may complain about the blur, however.

Blurring things is more GPU intensive than letting them be, isn't it? And changing resolution on the fly isn't easy either.

Blurring things is more GPU intensive than letting them be, isn't it? And changing resolution on the fly isn't easy either.

I think the blurring was suggested more as a way to cover up how bad the things outside the scope look more than help FPS directly because, yes, it is more GPU intensive than letting things be. Perhaps instead of dropping the resolution of the second render (though despite it not being easy, would it still yield better performance?), some kind of check can be made to see which objects in the screen are not in the scope's FOV and then just drop the LOD of them right down, letting the blur disguise this.

In ArmA's engine, though, I would expect all LoD transfers to be delayed markedly, depending on the PC.

Just one thing that gets me about the Arma series scope views is that the image is rather large.A smaller view circle really adds to the impression that your firing thru a scope IMO.A good example is the difference from stock Arma2 to ACE mod as shown in these two videos.Its just a small change that to me brings huge immersion of the looking thru a scope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqmTpK6xZZY

If the RTT implementation of 0.55.103923 (dev build) is anything to go by, don't get your hopes up for RO2 style implementation as opposed to some of the other implementations that we're seeing in this thread.

Could you elaborate for those who are not using dev build? What exactly do you mean by "RTT implementation of 0.55.103923"? RTT was in alpha since beginning, did they change scopes in latest build?

In yesterdays patch "Fixed: Picture-in-Picture of ships and SDV drastically decreased framerate"

I saw a frame increase of 10 between having PIP on and off now, with the hunter 5 or less. (tested on vehicle showcase as well)

(not saying this is how it will be for everyone but it used to be around 20) Still trying to figure out what the SDV is though...not seeing a rifle under that designation, or optic, and there is no submersible and there is no video option that I am aware of to carry that designation offhand...

Of course the big thing is frame rate, if you have around 30 or so then it is smoothish but below that it will lag a second or two behind what you see.

Edited by NodUnit

In yesterdays patch "Fixed: Picture-in-Picture of ships and SDV drastically decreased framerate"

I saw a frame increase of 10 between having PIP on and off now, with the hunter 5 or less. (tested on vehicle showcase as well)

(not saying this is how it will be for everyone but it used to be around 20) Still trying to figure out what the SDV is though...not seeing a rifle under that designation, or optic, and there is no submersible and there is no video option that I am aware of to carry that designation offhand...

Of course the big thing is frame rate, if you have around 30 or so then it is smoothish but below that it will lag a second or two behind what you see.

This is SDV (vehicle).

This is SDV (vehicle).

Which does not currently exist in the dev build.

But we do know that it will be in the game, they probably just fixed RTT on it.