Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead / Combined Operations / Reinforcements update 1.62

Why do people keep registering accounts just to ask about linux? They will announce when it's available.

Well, I'd imagine a good number of them would appreciate being told even a rough estimate as to the release timeframe as they're paying good money for Linux hosts that are presently sitting idle. Knowing if it'll be available in days, or weeks, or a month or more could help 'em decide to just wait it out, or spend the time/energy on a workaround, or suspend/cancel their hosting services... _shrug_

--Flak

Well, I'd imagine a good number of them would appreciate being told even a rough estimate as to the release timeframe as they're paying good money for Linux hosts that are presently sitting idle. Knowing if it'll be available in days, or weeks, or a month or more could help 'em decide to just wait it out, or spend the time/energy on a workaround, or suspend/cancel their hosting services... _shrug_

--Flak

+1

If people are paying approx 100 euros a month for Linux server hosting its understandable they are curious.

I'd recommend to change to a Windows hoster, if you want proper support. It seems like there is only one guy at BI working on the Linux port of the server.exe and he is doing this in his lunch break or sth like this.

+1

If people are paying approx 100 euros a month for Linux server hosting its understandable they are curious.

And you made that choice to use linux over windows. Every server hoster for ArmA 2 knows that linux releases ALWAYS come after the windows one.

And you made that choice to use linux over windows. Every server hoster for ArmA 2 knows that linux releases ALWAYS come after the windows one.

This isn't true in all cases, we are fortunate enough to have our server hosted by AEF and Platform Networks here in Aus. Unfortunately we don't have control over the OS, as it is not explicitly "our" server, so we have to wait for the 1.62 Linux build before we can do anything at all. If ACE hadn't updated with a 1.62 dependency as well then we might have been able to wing it for a couple of weeks... but unfortunately the ACE team don't maintain previous versions like the A2 betas so we can't roll back either (plus most of us have bought ACR anyway, so no choice).

Anyway, most of us are playing either Tekkit or MWO while we wait. Some have even decided to start spending more time with their kids lol =P

I am the author of the No ranting thread that got ranted all over. (I tried) I actually own my server, and the hosting I get for free because I admin for a company. I chose Linux for many reason I am not going to get into as this is not a "what is better" argument. I made the choice and yes it sucks right now but I know BIS will get it done. I know all of us linux server admins would really LOVE an update on the progress but considering the hostility BIS has received from the community I would not doubt that they will postpone or drop Linux support all together. I too understand the NEED, but I also understand economics and the cost of development. Does Linux Support make BIS money? Are we paying for the support? Maybe we should be. Perhaps we consider that BIS gives the Linux support as a gift and not EXPECT and demand it unless we are willing to pay for the support costs of having an on staff programmer that can do the Linux updates along side of the windows updates (beta and all). Thoughts?

Edited by pchaxor

I am the author of the No ranting thread that got ranted all over. (I tried) I actually own my server, and the hosting I get for free because I admin for a company. I chose Linux for many reason I am not going to get into as this is not a "what is better" argument. I made the choice and yes it sucks right now but I know BIS will get it done. I know all of us linux server admins would really LOVE an update on the progress but considering the hostility BIS has received from the community I would not doubt that they will postpone or drop Linux support all together. I too understand the NEED, but I also understand economics and the cost of development. Does Linux Support make BIS money? Are we paying for the support? Maybe we should be. Perhaps we consider that BIS gives the Linux support as a gift and not EXPECT and demand it unless we are willing to pay for the support costs of having an on staff programmer that can do the Linux updates along side of the windows updates (beta and all). Thoughts?

Why should I pay for support for something they claim was going to be supported (and still do for ArmA3) as a feature of the product I'm purchasing? If they don't want to factor in the costs to support a Linux server, they should stop claiming to fully support it in their advertising and interviews.

If BIS can't or doesn't want to support Linux dedicated servers, why are they advertising their upcoming game as fully supported?

http://www.bistudio.com/english/games/arma3

Multiplayer Gameplay - challenge both cooperative & competitive scenarios with full support of dedicated servers for both Windows and Linux.

That appears to be part of the product I'm buying (and yes they said the exact same thing leading up to the release of ArmA1 and ArmA2), so I paid for a product that included as a feature a "fully supported" Linux dedicated server. So BIS doesn't give Linux support as a gift, they made a choice to include it as an advertised feature in their product, and it's their job to provide support for the advertised features. So yes, I'll demand they provide the same level of support they provide the windows dedicated server, because it was included in the price of the game I purchased. So, no, we shouldn't be paying for Linux support, we should demand they release Linux dedicated server patches on the same day as windows dedicated server patches, because that is what 'fully supported' really means and they agreed as part of our purchase of the game to fully support dedicated servers on Linux. And that may mean they have to hold Windows patches for a week or two, but then we won't have all of these problems and complaints.

Linux dedicated servers help promote the sales of their game, providing Linux based game server hosting is a lot cheaper, and therefore more people host servers... and lets be honest while I enjoy the single player version of this game, the VAST majority of us here are playing online and that is one of the features that makes ArmA, well ArmA.

And for the people who keep posting that we should all convert to Windows servers... there are lots of reasons not to... the two biggest probably are cost, a windows 2008 server costs on average about $350 more per year to rent than a linux server. And the other is performance, on the exact same hardware, Windows runs about 10-15% slower than a properly configured Linux server. But, more importantly I shouldn't have to, because they advertised linux dedicated server support, and they should provide it, or stop advertising that feature as fully supported.

Edited by JayC

Look, they made a mistake. They admited it. They (or he?) are working to solve it.

Complaining won't help to solve it but should be enough to prevent this kind of things to happen again. And again. And again...

Well then BIS must be false advertising if it says they support it but don't. Unfortunately, there is nothing you or anyone can do about it other than rant and be mad about it. That doesn't get results it only gets threads locked and people banned from the forums. I have learned over the years to change the things you can and leave the things you cant.

I think BIS or someone needs to come out with more info though... "It's ready when it's ready" is getting pretty old for quite a few people.

After installing ACR Lite it changes Takistan to Takistan (Cut out) which is a low res versio0n of takistan. Now my question is why have I now only got a low res version of takistan when I own all the games and dlc's except the ACR one.

Is ACR being forced upon me if I want takistan in HD again??

Edited by VIPER[CWW]

You should have both Takistan and Takistan (Cut out), scroll down some more. :)

Playing online has low res maps though, is takistan cut-out a smaller version or just the one that comes with ACR Lite?

It comes with ACR, it's a small section of Takistan from Khushab in the NW down to Sultansafe/Loy Manara Oilfield in the SE, basically the SW corner of Takistan.

Why do people keep registering accounts just to ask about linux? They will announce when it's available.

because it has been to long since the windows update was dropped the linux update should be out. I am asking a valid question you are asking a question to be a troll. if you wanna hang out in a game forum all day to troll people get used to the same question being asked over and over.

I am asking a valid question you are asking a question to be a troll. if you wanna hang out in a game forum all day to troll people get used to the same question being asked over and over.

Kylania is a troll now? Oh gawd what has this community come to......

/sarcasm

Not really, a "unstable alpha" does not equal a 1.62 patch that works, although it is a positive sign that a patch might not be too far off.

cause we wanna have a exact date when its comin up!!no need for u to crawl around in their a.. we wanna ´know cause its interesting for ppl running linux servers like me and also it would be badass if they could do that cause win s.... my b.....

cause we wanna have a exact date when its comin up!!no need for u to crawl around in their a.. we wanna ´know cause its interesting for ppl running linux servers like me and also it would be badass if they could do that cause win s.... my b.....

Please use proper English.

§13) Write in English

Please write only in English on the public forums. Avoid writing in any other language or any kind of slang or txt speak since the majority of the members most likely won't understand. In private messages you are of course welcome to write in any language you wish.