Sign in to follow this  
Prof.Wizard

A-10 gatling gun: underpowered

Hello everyone.

I was just wondering something, is the Avenger gun simulated in Operation Flashpoint's A-10 Thunderbolt II aircraft a little bit underpowered?

I mean, the real gun is able to disable a Main Battle Tank (T72, T80, etc.) with a couple of short bursts. This isn't the case with the game's cannon... confused.gif

Actually, I find it EXTREMELY diffucult to kill anything on the ground once my Mavericks are all fired. Of course I don't consider myself a hot-shot, but I have been able only ONCE to kill an armored vehicle (a sucking BMP) while strafing. And that by sheer luck and after using half of my ammo.

I have created many custom missions with Editor, placing tanks and a AI A-10 trying to kill them. Even the AI can't destroy any tanks (MBTs) once the Mavericks are over.

What do you think?

Is there an editor to correct this?

Thanks,

Constantine.

PS. This is my first post. Please bear with me! smile.gif

wow.gif4--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Prof.Wizard @ June 23 2002,12wow.gif4)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I mean, the real gun is able to disable a Main Battle Tank (T72, T80, etc.) with a couple of short bursts. This isn't the case with the game's cannon... confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

T-72,T-80 have anti 120mm-heat armor , and 30mm GAU8/A can't destroy tanks.

BMP,BTR,BMD - yes, tanks - never.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (S.F.F.R @ June 23 2002,12:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif4--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Prof.Wizard @ June 23 2002,12wow.gif4)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I mean, the real gun is able to disable a Main Battle Tank (T72, T80, etc.) with a couple of short bursts. This isn't the case with the game's cannon... confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

T-72,T-80 have 650-750 mm armor (anti 125mm heat), and 30mm GAU8/A can't destroy tanks.

BMP,BTR,BMD - yes, tanks - never.<span id='postcolor'>

here we go again........thats not what i saw in the gulf war

Facts ?

Screens ?

GAU-8/A armor penetration , DU ammo -

69mm at 500 meters

38mm at 1000 meters

There are loads of videos where you can see A10's actually destroying T72's and even T80's. Do a search.

After all, the A-10 was built around the GAU-8. Consider the incredible cyclic rate of fire and 30 mm is nothing to cough at, thats a 1.2 inch round. Yes, it think the GAU-8 is poorly simulated in OFP. It feels more like a 7.62x51 mm GE Minigun. Compare it to the 25 mm HE rounds shot out of the M2A2 Bradly IFV and the damaged cause it's anywhere near a good, considering a 30mm DU round is much more powerful than a 25mm HE round.

I think the biggest problem is the low rate of fire, as one shot is made to simulate 4 shots. This doesn't mean much against large and slow ground targets like trucks, but against other planes it becomes close to useless. If it had the real rate of fire, a simple strafe burst across the flightpath of the bogey would guarantee atleast a couple of bullets hit - but with this "faked" rate of fire, the bogey will most likely slip between shots.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (S.F.F.R @ June 23 2002,12:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Facts ?

Screens ?

GAU-8/A armor penetration , DU ammo -

69mm at 500 meters

38mm at 1000 meters<span id='postcolor'>

The point is that MBT's arent that thick on the top or in the rear - thats where the A-10 pilot will try to hit them.

About "tank killer" - all modern planes have 30mm gun, and what any planes - "tank killer"

A-10 have Maverics and this give name "tank killer"

Sorry, my english biggrin.gif

No its the fact that the 30mm cannon uses depleted Uranium bullets

The GAU-Avenger/Eliminator can destroy even the best tanks in a few seconds, usualy less. It has a rate of for at over 4000 rpm, and the DU is unstoppable, it's density and speed of the round penetrate just about anything short of re-enforced concrete.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ June 23 2002,13:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">After all, the A-10 was built around the GAU-8. Consider the incredible cyclic rate of fire and 30 mm is nothing to cough at, thats a 1.2 inch round. Yes, it think the GAU-8 is poorly simulated in OFP. It feels more like a 7.62x51 mm GE Minigun. Compare it to the 25 mm HE rounds shot out of the M2A2 Bradly IFV and the damaged cause it's anywhere near a good, considering a 30mm DU round is much more powerful than a 25mm HE round.<span id='postcolor'>

Good call.......

Yes thats right, the Avenger is supposed to be the primary weapon of the A-10, not the AGM-65.....

The cannon itself is incredibly powerful, the recoil of it actually slows the aircraft down when firing!

It isnt that badly simulated in OFP (many addon makers like to use .50 cal ammo in their aircrafts guns though, which is worse, i.e A-4 Skyhawk, BAE Hawk etc)

If you watch footage of an Avenger firing you see that it really tears up the ground.....so BIS havent done that bad a job.

The Avenger cannon doesn't have to penetrate the full thickness of a tank's armor with a single round in order to be effective against it, because it fires multiple rounds. The repeated impact will ablate the armor.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (S.F.F.R @ June 23 2002,07:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">All modern planes have a thirty millimeter gun<span id='postcolor'>

That is not true. Most planes have a twenty millemeter gun. The A-10 is the only plane to currently carry the thirty millimeter Avenger cannon.

And they often use the gun alone. You don't know what you are talking about.

If the tons of U.S. Army literature and demonstrations weren't enough to convince me, I once knew an A-10 pilot, although not closely. He should know better than anyone here.

We just finished discussing this in another thread. It has been moved to Off Topic.

So guys... bottom line?! tounge.gif

Do we have a forum member here who can contact Bohemia Interactive to "correct" (the fire rate or damage) of the A-10 gun with the next patch?

I know it's a minor problem, but guys: once the Mavericks are over this bird is almost useless, apart for strafing trucks and demoralizing the enemy...

PS1. Most modern Russian planes have 30mm guns as standard. 27mm is the EU standard (Tornado, Typhoon). Most American fighters have the 20mm M61A1/2...

PS2. Warthog's main weapon is indeed the 30mm rotary cannon. That's why I'm dissappointed it's so underpowered in the simulation.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (S.F.F.R @ June 23 2002,05:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">About "tank killer" - all modern planes have 30mm gun, and what any planes - "tank killer"

A-10 have Maverics and this give name "tank killer"

Sorry, my english  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

It is quite a different 30mm gun than any other. Have you seen a picture of it?

a10arm-3.jpg

The shell itself is almost a foot long

gau8-1.jpg

For comparisism here is some other shells for their size, the last one a 30mm Aden shell used in British Aircraft

FAAguns2.jpg

Now these shells are fired over 1,800 rpm. It has a devistating effect on the top and side armour of a MBT.

COLINMAN

I think that the reason U only see one hit in every 4 bullets is that if every single bullet would explode it would lagg alot more and that would suck. Just get in a shilka and shoot at a tank 0 meters infront aof you and you´ll see what Im talking about, imagine every single bullet exploding...

The stupid thing is that eery time a bulet hits a smokecould will be created, after a short time there will be 200 smokeclouds inside eachother and that will lagg alot (atleast it does for me). I would be better if there could only be like 2-4 smokeclouds inside eachother cuz that would probably lagg alot less and there is no point of 200 smokeclouds inside eachother when you can only see like 3 of them.

If you want to try out the A10s gun on tanks, do it on desert island with maximun setviewdistance and it should be pretty easy hitting those tanks.

Ahhh incorrect you all are... the ofp A-10 is far from useless after using the mavericks, sure fuck the 30mm thats what I say too, but dont forget the plane itself packs a good explosion. Just find what you want to hit, get in a straight path with it then full throttle and friggen rail it you will most likely take it out. There is one problem with this though, it has gotten me banned from a server, but I was using a hind. Lol I took out all of their flag guarders and I ejected and lived somehow.