Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA beta build 94364 (1.60 MP compatible build, post 1.60 release)

Thanks zGuba for the reminding :D

Will we have someday the possibility to choose between new steering and the old ! driving a tank with the new one is just a pain !

Will we have someday the possibility to choose between new steering and the old ! driving a tank with the new one is just a pain !

Anyone who has tried mouse driving the T-34 in Iron Front will agree with Qazdar. For some reason, that tank is not optimized for the new mouse driving in the OA 1.61 beta engines. Other IF tanks are fine, just the T-34 requires HUGE mouse movements to turn the thing. So that is an IF issue, not an OA beta issue, I think. But perhaps AWAR made it that way on purpose for some reason?

Sometimes,i lose completely control on my tank and it starts swaying even after i after i leave it :D

Yes! Sometimes the keyboard and mouse control gets bolloxed when you combine use of both, and the tank sways crazily. But that is relatively easy to avoid.

Actually it's a pain to drive _anything_ with that looking up/down _feature_ ...

Hopefully,BIS will do something for it soon :D

@Guess who

Driving cars in first person is really annoying too.

@Guess who

Yep. I don't drive anymore, since I don't have 3rd person enabled. I just get drunk and walk across Cherna alot... FPDR

I disagree, I like the new driving system much better. In the old one, moving the mouse left and right would control a steering wheel which most of the times you couldn't see, which was disorienting. With the new one, you don't actually control the steering wheel but rather point the cursor in the direction you want the vehicle to go, similar to what it was like in OFP. A big improvement IMO.

Yes,it's a question of preferences ... i could drive a tank in the middle of forest without touching a single tree,now it's a deforestation :D

Making it toogleable would be really great !

Yes,it's a question of preferences ... i could drive a tank in the middle of forest without touching a single tree,now it's a deforestation :D

Making it toogleable would be really great !

Ya, but options like that are quite rare in this game so it's probably not very likely. I hated the mouse vehicle control since ARMA 1 came out, now it's probably your time to suffer :D One thing though, the Y axis of the steering cursor is for some reason very, very sensitive. That's the main thing I dislike about the new system.

@Guess who

I'm kind of annoyed they haven't added the option to disable it yet (maybe in 1.61 RC?) because it's REALLY hard to use with TrackIR.

I disagree, I like the new driving system much better. .

I agree emphatically.

Noticed something very odd with this beta, which is that sometimes after I start the beta for the first time I find the picture quality particularly poor. I found in the video options menu that the graphics had been reset from 1920x1120 (which matches the monitor) to lower values. A couple of times some of the other settings - terrain detail, video memory, one or two of the quality settings, are also changed.

I'm kind of annoyed they haven't added the option to disable it yet (maybe in 1.61 RC?) because it's REALLY hard to use with TrackIR.

exactly. with trackir its really hard to drive. because the view is turning around and around. you really have problems to stay focused to drive.

Agreed, it makes Track IR do unexpected things. I haven't really wanted to drive vehicles much since the change due to these issues. I guess I could just lock TIR to forward when driving but then it loses the functionality.

I disagree, I like the new driving system much better. ... A big improvement IMO.

I love the new system also. Can't live without it now (I don't have TrackIR). Only suggestion is to tone down the sensitivity of the Y axis movement, as Maystor, and others, also said. But I think it's pretty much good to go as is. The new system gives me razor-sharp, and awesomely fun, control in most situations.

This would probably make everybody happy:

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/35607

Edited by OMAC

The vertical look feature in cars and trucks needs tweaking down IMHO at a minimum. I am happy with the left right movement, but vertical changes while driving in 3rd person mode cause the player to lose sight of their horizontal direction meaning you run into things way to often. It's then actualy quite difficult to adjust the vertical view back to a happy place.

I love the new system also. Can't live without it now (I don't have TrackIR). Only suggestion is to tone down the sensitivity of the Y axis movement, as Maystor, and others, also said. But I think it's pretty much good to go as is. The new system gives me razor-sharp, and awesomely fun, control in most situations.

This would probably make everybody happy:

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/35607

No, it's far from good to go.

The vertical look feature in cars and trucks needs tweaking down IMHO at a minimum. I am happy with the left right movement, but vertical changes while driving in 3rd person mode cause the player to lose sight of their horizontal direction meaning you run into things way to often. It's then actualy quite difficult to adjust the vertical view back to a happy place.

It needs an option to be disabled. SoonTM.

No, it's far from good to go.

From all the posts about the new driving since it was introduced, I would say that a strong majority of people agree with you, and I also think that it could be tweaked, but after many hours of hard driving, I can say that I have a problem with it only about 2-3% of the time, which translates to "pretty much good to go."

However, in this beta I have noticed that ALL Y-axis movement has been disabled for mouse driving. L alt can be used for "mouse look" all around, as normal. I think that this is perfect, and should satisfy most people. I'm surprised that I (and others) haven't noticed this change sooner. I assume that this was done on purpose? I don't think any such modifications were in the changelogs....

Also, regarding this:

[93989] Changed: When dropping weapon unrelated magazine will not be dropped

I think that unrelated magazines are still dropped when weapons are dropped. I will try again, but can anyone confirm this? For example, when choosing initial loadouts in map screen, if binoculars are dropped, ALL magazines are also dropped. But if you drop a rifle, its magazines are not dropped.

Edited by OMAC

From all the posts about the new driving since it was introduced, I would say that a strong majority of people agree with you, and I also think that it could be tweaked, but after many hours of hard driving, I can say that I have a problem with it only about 2-3% of the time, which translates to "pretty much good to go."

However, in this beta I have noticed that ALL Y-axis movement has been disabled for mouse driving. L alt can be used for "mouse look" all around, as normal. I think that this is perfect, and should satisfy most people. I'm surprised that I (and others) haven't noticed this change sooner. I assume that this was done on purpose? I don't think any such modifications were in the changelogs....

Also, regarding this:

[93989] Changed: When dropping weapon unrelated magazine will not be dropped

I think that unrelated magazines are still dropped when weapons are dropped. I will try again, but can anyone confirm this? For example, when choosing initial loadouts in map screen, if binoculars are dropped, ALL magazines are also dropped. But if you drop a rifle, its magazines are not dropped.

From your post I would assume that you do the driving different from me. You do use the "more left/more right" settings, don't you? Because in the regular "drive left/right" with mouse configuration I'm used to since ArmA nothing has changed in the last betas at all. And that is the fact I'm complaining about. This should be reverted.

BTW: New beta 94444 is out now ...

Yep, the gear menu is still badly broken. Makes some SP missions near impossible now as weapons sometimes and ammo often vanishes.

And the new mouse driving system is awful IMO.

From your post I would assume that you do the driving different from me. You do use the "more left/more right" settings, don't you?

All my vehicle controls are on default settings, so I am using the "more L/R", steering with mouse. My look direction will not change with mouse movement except along X axis. No longer any Y axis movement at all via mouse while driving. I never noticed this before today. Hmmm....

All my vehicle controls are on default settings, so I am using the "more L/R", steering with mouse. My look direction will not change with mouse movement except along X axis. No longer any Y axis movement at all via mouse while driving. I never noticed this before today. Hmmm....

So it's kinda fixed for the "wrong" crowd and stays for those who use the "standard/old fashioned" method ... :confused: