Sign in to follow this  
ruhtraeel

Low FPS with post processing turned up?

Hi, I'm currently playing ARMA 2 Reinforcements, but I have low FPS when post-processing is turned to max. Without it, it runs pretty much at a constant 40+, but when maxed, it runs at maybe 15.

My rig is:

i5 2500k @ 3.3 ghz

ATI Radeon 5870 x2 Crossfire 1GB VRAM

Windows 7 Ultimate

16GB DDR3 RAM

250 + 160 GB HDD

What is wrong? Thanks

Edited by ruhtraeel

post processing uses plenty more resources so its normal that you get a fps drop

You also get a white blood cell drop as everything white in the game (cows, streetsigns...) turns radioactive. Turn that sucker down. You'll thank me when you want to have kids.

post processing uses plenty more resources so its normal that you get a fps drop

But I see people running it fine maxed out on even a single 5870

What type of setup would I need to max it out?

If I can't max out even ARMA 2, what on earth type of machine would you need to max ARMA 3?

It actually turns out that I prefer lower post-processing, because jacking it to max just makes everything further than 200m look blurry.

I'm really hoping ARMA 3 is optimized better so I can max it out

Firstly, there is a thread for hardware discussions.

Secondly, optimizations would mean stuff like making fewer textures, lower res textures, lower res models, lesser view distance. So, if you set it on medium, or BIS maxes it out at medium and calls it maximum, it seems like there's little difference. You will not be able to max out ArmA 3, probably on any hardware for years, trust me.

And lastly, maxing out the view distance is probably the greatest drain on performance. It is very stressful on the cpu and the gpu. If you have it set high, try setting it lower.

Turn that s*** off

So it's not just me who thinks post-processing makes everything look weird?

I am really curious to find out what type of rig they were running at the Gamescom gameplay presentation.

EDIT: Changed number of cores used to 4, and max frames ahead or whatever to 8. Everything maxed out runs at around 20 now.

Ok I also changed the pagefile to my other hard drive, doesn't seem to have that much difference. Are there any other tweaks I can do?

EDIT2: How the hell do I turn off motion blur? I hate it and it eats performance -_-

Edited by ruhtraeel

Post processing will give you an fps drop because it's a lot of features tucked under a convenient label. You'll definitely lose frame rate with it on higher settings.

@ruhtraeel: do yourself a favour a lower Post-Processing to Low and then run Oktane's noBlur mod to remove the performance-sapping and nauseau-inducing radial blur.

The game will now look fairly good (includes many of the best effects from PP) without looking radioactive nor running like a hog.

For more tweaks like this check-out this thread:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?85124-ArmA2-OA-%28low%29-performance-issues&p=2081466#post2081466

it's not hard to guess, that the shaders aren't well optimized, like most of other stuff in game. I can't also max it out, with pp on high or normal, brings ambient occlusion, game feels stutterish for me, as with pp on low.

I've only just recently turned PP on after a long time off not using it and using octanes fix, and was surprised at how awesome the worlds looked, for me the game feels dull without it now... But as usual with this game everything goes in cycles, so will probably be sick of it again in 6mths

@ruhtraeel: do yourself a favour a lower Post-Processing to Low and then run Oktane's noBlur mod to remove the performance-sapping and nauseau-inducing radial blur.

The game will now look fairly good (includes many of the best effects from PP) without looking radioactive nor running like a hog.

For more tweaks like this check-out this thread:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?85124-ArmA2-OA-%28low%29-performance-issues&p=2081466#post2081466

This, a hundred times this. Low + OKT no blur is the best combination. However there is no bloom when in low with NVGs, so I go normal at night, low during the day. I would go normal all the time if it weren't for the SSAO (anybody know how to disable SSAO on its own?)

whats wrong withe SSAO? other than you cant run it with out the blur?