Rydygier

RINCEWINDER - Combat Effective Magick System

For elemental did only very short, a few minutes test for now, looks very intryguing and original - I really like it, noticed however, that this is not moving towards waypoint. Also tank sound can be muted or, better, replaced with some, perhaps, sound of rubbing heavy rocks or something like that as movement sound. Best - several short samples randomly chosen one by one, something like foot soldier movement - not know, if possible via config, if not - will add such sounds via script, as for dragon. May be useful also more "massive" variant for stronger (and harder to kill) elemental (bigger stones, lesser spaces between them). Must to think, how to resolve attack ability of such creature. Can stay, as was - tank weaponry, even, if will look quite weird with this model, maybe some muzzle (point of creating projectile) displacement? Or maybe some new attack ability instead - but what? I'll perform more test today or tommorow - depends, I caught cold lately, as often, so my coding work is almost paused for now - hard to think.

example head:

This is for summoned orcs? :) Very nice too. Now we have something for sticking on the pikes. :) This is another idea - head as separate object, that can be attached anywhere, eg on vehicle as trophy "decoration" or near camp, on the stick as a special kind of warning sign.

I see, that thanks to you, Icewindo, Rincewinder will become something of quite new quality level. Thanks again. :)

@Chaingunfighter

Thanks, man, any sound will be very appreciated. I need rather not looped sounds for wings (will be synchronized with animation via looped script), but I can cut needed part of looped sound file too.

May be useful also more "massive" variant for stronger (and harder to kill) elemental (bigger stones, lesser spaces between them). Must to think, how to resolve attack ability of such creature. Can stay, as was - tank weaponry, even, if will look quite weird with this model, maybe some muzzle (point of creating projectile) displacement? Or maybe some new attack ability instead - but what? I'll perform more test today or tommorow - depends, I caught cold lately, as often, so my coding work is almost paused for now - hard to think.

Robalo's throwable satchel might give you some ideas about how to throw rocks - you'ld need a decent-sized rock model (the default stones would be much too small), then define it as an appropriate muzzle class like grenade.

Heh, how about tree-trunks? - ooh, caber-tossing contests, that would delight the Scots :)

Now we have something for sticking on the pikes. :) This is another idea - head as separate object, that can be attached anywhere, eg on vehicle as trophy "decoration" or near camp, on the stick as a special kind of warning sign.

LOL!

About elemental, what about 3 range attack modes that I suggested below?

- (Resemble the gun) Fire pellets with low rate of fire (below 200RPM) , about 200-300m/s velocity, non-explosive, best for aerial dogfighting.

- (Resemble the rocket) Fireball with single fire (delay with each shot), about 125-200m/s velocity, explosive, best for ground bombardment.

- (Resemble the AA and AT missiles) The magically traced fireball that allow to chase target (longer delay than normal fireball), about 100-150m/s (hardly to chase high speed air unit), C-4 like high-explosive. Can destroy armored unit.

For melee (fire breathe and claws) I think it's rather variable and can do vast damage, but I found it easily become overpowered if they can just spamming flames around the war ground. The claw looks fine though, just only powerful enough to slice soldier's body, not the armor.

---

BTW, here's are some artworks relative in dragon's scale colors from the test mod, I dunno why, but people always thinks that green one is more "western-friendly", while the red one being rendered evil and slay-able. Maybe we should reconsider about their appearance?

http://fav.me/d47fwcs

http://fav.me/d4fqoh7

http://fav.me/d26kmmr

http://fav.me/d4hc6dn

http://fav.me/d49x6ce

Some notes: I doubt, if dragon will get melee attack ability. Dragon is helicopter-based and think about it as about chopper to be awared about its limitations. Probably there will be very heavy difficulties to bring him in reasonable way close enough to perform such attack (and do not make it crash on ground by the way). I think, that dragon should only fly here and there, and perform fire-breath attack on known targets in range. That is my plan here.

If will prove possible to add for earth elemental some kind of mentioned "throwing big rocks" (exploding perhaps?) attack - this will make this unit powerful and dangerous enough. Probably this can be done even via "Fired" EH - when tank is firing its gun - to the projectile is attached a rock object and projectile's trajectory and speed is properly adjusted. If not possible - tank-based armament should be sufficient.

For clarity - obviously, at least in CEMS, these units will be AI-only, as temporarily summoned, uncontrolled allies.

Edited by Rydygier

Some notes: I doubt, if dragon will get melee attack ability. Dragon is helicopter-based and think about it as about chopper to be awared about its limitations

Hey if you want one as birdclass or even human let me know, i may have a spare time this week to make it so :)

love the magic etc, wish i had more time to make some adventures from it :) .

Thanks, Thromp. For now can't tell, if this will be neccessary, so let's wait with this. I hope, that some people will use this mod in their missions. Personally I have some ideas too... Well I have various ideas for at least a half year of coding and no time yet for all this currently. But there is no rush. :)

Hey ,

No worries mate ,

You want some Custom weapons and ammo config to cut down on code let me know , I have messed with this engine for a long time and made many weird and wonderful things lol.

I am tempted to make a wizard with a wand seeing all this magic stuff lol

Keep up the good work

Here's a new updated archive, the earth elementar should move now (I also dumbed down the animations to just one animation) :

http://www.mediafire.com/?v8etlxm3u38gub8

Still not all movement sounds are gone i think it's the turret.

I also added in the WIP orc with weapon, shield and armor (face normalmaps and eyes will be adjusted, currently no other LODs so he's heavy on performance).

Hey, thanks, Icewindo.

There is and will be some pause in this part of the front. I'll back to this topic after some time. In the meantime every idea, opinion, help and so on will be very appreciated.

hey, will you be picking this up again in the new year? great mod but i seem to crash after awhile playing :( any ideas on how to fix?

Hey, my activity here is currently dependent on the feedback. No feedback, nothing is going on. And I have other projects too, when I done with them, then probably will think about this again more, but for now not sure, in what direction should I think. Probably this dragon...

I'll try to help you, but I'm not a cairvoyant. :) I never experienced any crash with this version and I need more info. How exactly looks this crash, what exactly is going on. Always, or sometimes? In what circumstancies? In all missions or in certain? Any other addons are used? Are any error logs in RPT file because of that? Best - upload here a mission, where problem occurs, if it not needs custom addons, that I haven't, then I'll be able to check this deeper.

Also you may check this mission:

Eight Notches

If yours problem is present also there. It uses Rincewinder. And I experienced sometimes strange CTD, only during intro or, especially, outro (same in yours case?). Like somehow too many PC's resources is needed sometimes or something.

Edited by Rydygier

thanks for reply :), no other addons are used. its just me and a enemy Ai on the map to check out this mod, the CTDs seem to be random, sometimes i can play for 20mins othertimes about 5 min. im downloading your mission now and ill let you know what happens

shame this isnt MP compatible, i had a idea to suprise my friends halfway through a match with fireballs etc. :P

Edit: i was just thinking, you could make a pretty good king arthur mission with this and the medievel mod :)

Edited by ryanbeckey0

So, if this is CTD, as in my case, then fixing this is probably beyond my skills, cause can't tell what exactly causes this and why. Do you have good PC or rather something low-end? CTD in intro/outro of Eight Notches mission and never in gameplay itself points, that there must be something about number of simultanously invoked spells, especially, that in yours case it happens far more often, with lower spell intensity. So this possible is somehow bounded with hardware capability. However, as number of particles is limited, can't tell, why overolad occurs. Because of lightsources? This is only blind guess however.

i have a pretty high end computer, the CTD just seem to be random. maybe its when 2 same spells are cast at the same time near each other? i know nothing about the script just a guess too :P its fun for what iv played and hope it gets more popular with the community

how do i change my characters magic level? and how do i add manasources? thanks

Edited by ryanbeckey0

If anybody interested - today found enough time and did some work with great Icewindo's dragons so now we have fully functional, fire breathing dragons, wip of course, here is some small demo (included needed addon containing dragon models):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8t6a2dt3v7oy8co/DragonDemo.zip?dl=0

However, due to low interest and another, more important projects, do not know, when I'll spend more time with this.

Ha ha, just now noticed added long time ago questions... Sorry, ryanbeckey0, I hope, that you found answers. 🙂 Anyway - info about mana sources is in manual - can be done via adding locations f types, that serve as mana sources by default, for change of mage's level in this version, if I remeber correctly, only way is to use such code:

mage setVariable [("Mana" + (str mage)),level];

Current version is still lacking more user friendly customization options.