Rydygier

RINCEWINDER - Combat Effective Magick System

I'm sure, that a good modeller can make a real dragon model, probably even flying and fire-breathing. Theoretically, because, as I wrote, good modellers are mostly occupied with mil-sim stuff, not fantasy, and such model must mean a lots of work, including animations...

I'm not a modeller at all, so in Rincewinder summoned "dragon" is substituted by chopper with some particle effects and appriopriate scream sounds. Well. These machines always seemed to me like dragons (or at least dragon-fly :) ). Same way - earth elemental is substituted by APCs or tank with some special effects. Fire elemental though is another story.

That I'd really like to see someone working on this. (if not counting on magic, that'd a huge topic to say "how dragon portray abilities IRL")

For ghetto dragon summoning, maybe you could try using AttachTo script with these heli or VTOL, using in-game objects to assemble the makeshift dragon and surrounding the plane inside. Just not too much or it will get huge performance impact.

Am I understood correctly, that you suggest to rig up dragon with sandbags, barrels, road signs, and whatever? :) Interesting, but I think, that chopper alone is more like a dragon than chopper with any available stuff atached to it in any way.

That I'd really like to see someone working on this.

I suppose, that modelling of a dragon would be really huge amount of work, far bigger, than, eg, new tank, or anything else, that is based on stuff already exist. Such dragon probably must be build from a scratch. Plus flying model, effective fire breathing, brand new set of animations (lots of them)... Really small chance. :( Still, I'm only guessing.

I suppose, that modelling of a dragon would be really huge amount of work, far bigger, than, eg, new tank, or anything else, that is based on stuff already exist. Such dragon probably must be build from a scratch. Plus flying model, effective fire breathing, brand new set of animations (lots of them)... Really small chance. :( Still, I'm only guessing.

I'm a complete ignoramus about modelling, but maybe not every wheel will need reinventing - there are birds like the seagull in the vanilla game (no idea whether BIS has given permission for that to be modified) and there are certainly flying/wing-flapping animations (again, no idea if those are accessible to the community). There are also 'simple' bird models/animations in SLX, and, IIRC, one of the JTD mods; though I've never looked inside the pbos.

A 'real' dragon would be quite something :D

Am I understood correctly, that you suggest to rig up dragon with sandbags, barrels, road signs, and whatever? :) Interesting, but I think, that chopper alone is more like a dragon than chopper with any available stuff atached to it in any way.

Well, I see. Just to guess how funny to see bunch of scraps diving when blow the "dragon" down.

I agree it would be difficult to built new creatures and made a mod completely, it would be easier to built only a solid model instead (like planes), but that'd out of immersion.

Thanks, Icewindo. :) Will check this map in near future. Very nice this gear mix. I do not know, if logical, but who cares? :) If only you want and if you will have a time, then I'll be very glad to see these and other, if imagination will tell you any other concept. I think for now about two more variants of first picture: same, but not black, but some, eg woodland, camo pattern (yes, chain mail too :) ), and another camo, but without chain mail, only camo hood as something new, and perhaps same in... woman version? :) Not sure, when I will have time, but there are in my mind some scenario concepts, where such and other models in this kind can prove very... apprioprate.

Ok, that shouldn't be too hard, the actual texture swapping is easy, I'd just need to create a new folder and change all the paths from crumod_units to a new tag, like fant_units or sth. .

Well, I see. Just to guess how funny to see bunch of scraps diving when blow the "dragon" down.

I agree it would be difficult to built new creatures and made a mod completely, it would be easier to built only a solid model instead (like planes), but that'd out of immersion.

Well what about that ? :p

http://www.pixentral.com/pics/1Y9PkPlwgloBbbJq0C3aRzsx.jpg

http://www.pixentral.com/pics/1NpTnIb0VPeXKGHKAYb3OUCY7MVeF1.jpg

No anims, just the basic model put into game with rvmats and textures. The model originally was 55k polys and I let O2 merge it down to 15k which altered the uv mapping a bit, most noticeable in the head area.

Still it looks pretty nice imo.

The model was released under a CC-BY license so there'd be no problem in using it for a mod.

http://www.blendswap.com/blends/animals/dragon-rig-and-textures/

The texture would have to be changed though out as I don't see a permission to redistribute it:

http://deadmansdust.deviantart.com/art/Snake-Skin-2-74117530

Well what about that ?

That's... that's... That's a DRAGON! Flying dragon! And, I see, already implemented into CEMS! Wooow.

I swear I want to see such action on YouTube, both funny and seriously. You two are really made my grin wider than ever! :D

That's wonderful :D

Me wants one!... No, me wants several, in different colours!

That's... that's... That's a DRAGON! Flying dragon! And, I see, already implemented into CEMS! Wooow.
I swear I want to see such action on YouTube, both funny and seriously. You two are really made my grin wider than ever! :D

Hehe, glad you like it :)

That's wonderful :D

Me wants one!... No, me wants several, in different colours!

Different colors right here - I also created my own skin texture so there's nothing in the way of releasing the dragon. I'll see if I can come up with a first package soon, just need to put in the credits and whatnot.

http://www.pixentral.com/pics/1RE6baiLY4sTU8ZHQYDUhuEnxEMU7.jpg

http://www.pixentral.com/pics/1TD1UoFXDy4Lj0Vv3xb6pJOwIKGY0.jpg

I've also shortly experimentated with animating the model and generally it would work, might have some basic wing movement in some time.

Different colors right here - I also created my own skin texture so there's nothing in the way of releasing the dragon. I'll see if I can come up with a first package soon, just need to put in the credits and whatnot.

http://www.pixentral.com/pics/1RE6baiLY4sTU8ZHQYDUhuEnxEMU7.jpg

http://www.pixentral.com/pics/1TD1UoFXDy4Lj0Vv3xb6pJOwIKGY0.jpg

I've also shortly experimentated with animating the model and generally it would work, might have some basic wing movement in some time.

The scale looks good. Maybe you could try making membrane and scute on the texture as well.

------

By the way, am I found that strange when ARMA 2 is starting being used as random mods gaming more than just mil-sim? I mean, there are alien and zombie mods long ago, even form older ARMA series too, but it's start heating up not long ago.... Something like DayZ or such make modded gaming more popular.

The scale looks good. Maybe you could try making membrane and scute on the texture as well.

------

By the way, am I found that strange when ARMA 2 is starting being used as random mods gaming more than just mil-sim? I mean, there are alien and zombie mods long ago, even form older ARMA series too, but it's start heating up not long ago.... Something like DayZ or such make modded gaming more popular.

Thanks yep I redid the texture, fits in better I think

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/bla212/bd3.jpg

As for the unusual modding, I've been modding "weird stuff" since I started modding (legionaires, crusaders for arma1 and later on Stargate with some realistic addons in between) and there definitely were alot more mind-like modders in Operation Flashpoint so it's nice to see other modders reliving a little Renaissance of non standard mods.

And here's the link if you want to check out the dragon . Since Rydgyier helped me out so much with the creation of the melee scripts the least I can do is add a dragon to the game :bounce3: .

http://www.mediafire.com/?azktaav9qwvhqa7

edit: fixed rvmats linking to wrong path for "tomen_as.paa"

I even threw some wing movement in, it's pretty basic but it gets the job done.

The east side has a red dragon, the west side a green dragon.

You can also close the dragon mouth abit and move the claws (although the anims aren't the best):

this animate ["mouth", 1];

this animate ["claws", 1];

===== DRAGON FOR ARMA2 ALPHA 0.1 / PROOF OF CONCEPT ========

Credits:

Original Dragon Model by yoji (CC-BY LICENSE)

http://www.blendswap.com/blends/animals/dragon-rig-and-textures/

Icewindo:

- creating textures /rvmats

- a very hasty ingame rigging and animations.

Sounds:

http://www.freesound.org/people/CGEffex/sounds/94102/

http://www.freesound.org/people/DJ%20Chronos/sounds/77076/

The wings are moved by a init eventhandler that executes the "wings.sqf"

Known issues:

- geo box all wrong (uses AH1Z ArmA1 geometry) but a 1:1 fire geometry

- texture issues

- no first person

- some more stuff

Intended use in:

Rincewinder Magic Mod by Rygdyier

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?134360-RINCEWINDER-Combat-Effective-Magick-System

Edited by Icewindo

Great. Downloading. Thanks a lot, Icewidno. I have to prepare some scripts for combat effective fire-breathing attacks and appriopriate attack/patrol behaviour. :) But first some tests... Yeah.

Oh, that's rather nice. Fireballs would be something, but melee too, both of them would need tons of tests and scripting for sure.

That'd be spectacular to see them animate better with ragdoll in ARMA 3. But for now let's just make it functional and playable would be fine. :)

(About ARMA3 with these things, I had a concept which is once-hopeless to think about it: It's a near-future military story about dragon vs human. I love to read it alot and thinking about to resemble the concept from the story into the game. Like making mod or such, but I have no idea how to do it. Still, you can take a look if interested: http://taygon.webs.com/books.htm)

I'm after first, short tests and simple scripting for dragon - really impressive this dragon, Icewindo. :) Tried with not bad result to script more dragon-like flight dynamic with such code:

_dragon = _this select 0;

_dragon FlyInHeight 40;
_dragon forceSpeed 30;

while {(alive _dragon)} do
{
_DrRnd = random 0.15;

_vDir = velocity _dragon;
_vx = _vDir select 0;
_vy = _vDir select 1;
_vz = _vDir select 2;

_pwr = 6 + (random 2);		
_dragon animate ["wings", 0];
sleep 0.05;
_dragon setVelocity [_vx * 1.25,_vy * 1.25,_pwr];
sleep (1 + _DrRnd);

_dragon animate ["wings", 1];
sleep 0.05;
_dragon setVelocity [_vx,_vy, - _pwr];
sleep (1 + _DrRnd)
}

You can notice, that I moved wings animation here, cause wanted to slowdown wing movements and to synchronize with velocity changes. Tried also to edit config.bin (not know much about this, and failed, cause haven't idea how and why to binarize config, tried to save addon with .cpp, but some syntax errors occured then). So can you prepare for me version without hardcoded sounds? I must to sychronize wing flapping sound with animation frequency, probably will also try to replace this sound with something louder, and, hmm, more "majestic" (perhaps someday may be good to customize somehow wing animations to make'em wider (or rather deeper)).

Another matter - weaponry and fire breath sound. It use normal chopper's ammo plus some custom (?), and sound is great here, but when using rapid gun fire, sound is played for each shot, while should once per burst. I think, that will be better also this sound to add via script, eg Fired EH and remove from pbo, at least for CEMS version, also beacause possible loudness adjustments. I think, that dragon should have unlimited, or very big amount of ammo, but only one kind of weapon. However ammo amount can be very easy controlled via script. I will try to add to each shot some fire particle effects to mimic fire-breath, also with ignition of hit/nearby objects (plus progressive damage, similar like with fire elemental). So will be great, if possible, to prepare such config, so dragon will "fire" more willigly, than usually choppers do (I want to see mayhem of fire inferno on the ground like after napalm bombardment :) ), with weapon, that shots some small ammo projectile in single fire mode with low rate of fire - interval should be greater, that length of fire-breath sound. If impossible, then perhaps I'll just try via script to emulate all firing: getting current direction, when towards known enemy in range, then projectile with fire effects is generated and "pushed" towards target, just like in Fireball spell, but with more abundant fire trace and additional effects. Still beter should prove first solution. Oh. And optimal will be of course, if projectile will be shot from the mouth, I do not know, if this is possible or easy enough. If not, then will try to "teleport" there just fired projectile via Fired EH.

Edited by Rydygier

Wonderful dragon, Icewindo :)

I can't believe how quickly you got that made, woo!

Ryd: the Invasion 44 team produced a flamethrower for version 2.6. They're a really decent bunch as well as talented, maybe they would allow a port of the 'flaming' bit?

Just tried this flamethrower and I'm impressed. Especially this bouncing fire ricochetes on the walls and such - beautiful. Will ask them if they allow me to adjust and use this code.

Just tried this flamethrower and I'm impressed. Especially this bouncing fire ricochetes on the walls and such - beautiful. Will ask them if they allow me to adjust and use this code.

Yes, really pretty work :D

Hey sure here's the unbinarized version so you can edit the config directly:

http://www.mediafire.com/?bgcda6ecg7f7ki1

I added 2 more dragon configs to both sides, one with no wings.sqf active by default and one with no weapons/rockets+no wings.sqf

- moving the axis: should be possible, I think I just have to move the "machinegun" selection in the memory lod

- fire sound: I'll have a look at it, I guess it will work if the weapon uses bursts as you suggested but yep probably better to control over script

- weapon interval: that's easy to tweak (I'll add a new ammo based on the helo gun ammo) , the sound length is 3.5 seconds adjust the interval to 6s would fit?

- more aggressive AI - hm I think I remember a script/addon that changed some values to make the helicopters more aggressive I'll see if I can find it again

Wonderful dragon, Icewindo :)

I can't believe how quickly you got that made, woo!

Thanks, yep I'm quite surprised I managed some basic anims that fast, ofc I didn't have to create the model but it took me alot more tries to get the anims right for my bows in the medieval mod.

Great.

the interval to 6s would fit?

Sounds good. :)

more aggressive AI - hm I think I remember a script/addon that changed some values to make the helicopters more aggressive I'll see if I can find it again

Hmm. Indeed, there is such thing. Probably "Trigerhappy Choppers" or this by zGuba.

Fantastic things here :)

Nice dragon too , sometimes i can almost see OFP type thinking in Arma2 and it make me smile all this inventiveness :)

Great.

Sounds good. :)

Hmm. Indeed, there is such thing. Probably "Trigerhappy Choppers" or this by zGuba.

Ok here's an updated file:

http://www.mediafire.com/?tonb3n9gpg67yyn

- removed tracers from weapon config

- set delay between firing to 6s

the claw and mouth animation is kinda broken though now, will have to fix it again since I accidently deleted their axis

They are not more triggerhappy I think, will have to experiment with some more values.

Also if you check out the dragons on the west side in the editor you might find a new unit under "Earth elemental" :p . It's pretty basic (some stones at different size) but with some smoke particle effects thrown it might look good I think.

I used this script to animate the elemental:

while {alive a2} do {
a2 animate ["small", 1];
a2 animate ["small2", 1];
sleep 0.1;
a2 animate ["medium", 1];
sleep 0.1;
a2 animate ["large", 1];
sleep 0.2;
a2 animate ["small", 0];
a2 animate ["small2", 0];
sleep 0.1;
a2 animate ["medium", 0];
sleep 0.1;
a2 animate ["large",0];
sleep 0.2;
};

Fantastic things here :)

Nice dragon too , sometimes i can almost see OFP type thinking in Arma2 and it make me smile all this inventiveness :)

Yep definitely nice to see this :bounce3:

Wow. Also elemental! Thanks a lot. Will test this soon. :)

If you're looking for dragon sounds for when they attack, I have a few in a folder I could send/post a link to. I also have some wing flap sounds, but I'm not sure if they are on a loop or not.

Also had a creative try on the ArmA2 example head]

Nice :)

Maybe make the eyes somewhat more red / glaring? (if that would't make it look too much like a banker).