Rydygier

RINCEWINDER - Combat Effective Magick System

Hmm. First, try to change mentioned line in config, but this will not help itself, I guess. Especially strange is, that it works for any other mission, and for that one - no. Do you use with all this cases same addons (can you tell, what other addons are used)? On which map do you play "lost" (RCW was tested on Chernaruss - if you use another map, try with this for test purpose)? Perhaps also in RPT file appear some error logs, that are not present, when using CEMS with other missions?

EDIT: you can also try to change RCW_Debug to 1 (turn it on) to see, if there will appear some sidechat messages about found battlemages (every about 15 seconds) to determine, if Rincewinder is at least active in yours "lost". Game and mission must be restarted after config change.

Edited by Rydygier

Hmm. First, try to change mentioned line in config, but this will not help itself, I guess. Especially strange is, that it works for any other mission, and for that one - no. Do you use with all this cases same addons (can you tell, what other addons are used)? On which map do you play "lost" (RCW was tested on Chernaruss - if you use another map, try with this for test purpose)? Perhaps also in RPT file appear some error logs, that are not present, when using CEMS with other missions?

I tried changing the line that you told be to and I also tried changing RCW_Nmbr = 1; back to 4 and now enemy AIs have their own BMs but the player still doesn't get access to any spells or BM Status.

I tried playing on Utes and Zagrabad (I like smaller maps) but I'll try on Chernarus.

I use CBA and ACE addons, I'm using same addons every time.

Where do I check the error logs?

Mine path to RPT file with logs look like:

"C:\Users\Rydygier\AppData\Local\ArmA 2 OA\arma2oa.RPT"

So Rincewinder is active, but player haven't own spells... Hmm. If with same mods it works for other missions, then addons aren't cause, unless interfere in such way with particulary this mission. I have no clue, what may cause not appearing of new actions in players menu. :( You can anyway try to play Lost only with CBA and Rincewinder, without ACE and any other mod to see, if this makes any difference.

Just tried on Utes and with one of OA missions - all works, spells are available...

Edited by Rydygier

I have tried disabling all mods except for CBA, Lost and RCW. No difference, so it's not a addon conflict issue.

EDIT: The sidechat says that "4 Battlemages are found" after about 30 seconds of play.

This is my error log:

Exe timestamp: 2012/04/24 20:44:48

Current time: 2012/07/03 18:31:58

Version 1.60.87580

Updating base class ->RscLB_C, by markb50k_lostaddons\config.cpp/RscListBox/

Updating base class ->RscLB_C, by markb50k_lostaddons\config.cpp/RscCombo/

Updating base class RscText->, by markb50k_lostaddons\config.cpp/rscTitle/

[2306,67.07,0,"XEH: PreInit Started. v3.3.3. MISSINIT: missionName=Lost\markb50k_Lost, worldName=utes, isMultiplayer=false, isServer=true, isDedicated=false"]

[2306,68.573,0,"XEH: PreInit Finished. CACHE DISABLED? (Disable caching with cba_disable_cache.pbo): SLX_XEH_RECOMPILE=false, CBA_COMPILE_RECOMPILE=false, CBA_FUNC_RECOMPILE=false"]

[2310,68.991,0,"XEH: PostInit Started"]

[2310,69.069,0,"CBA_VERSIONING: cba=0.8.3.175, "]

[2310,69.085,0,"XEH: PostInit Finished. State: _isClient=true, _isJip=false, _isDedClient=false, _isServer=true, _isDedServer=false, _playerCheckDone=true, _sp=true, _startInitDone=true, _postInitDone=true, _mpRespawn=false, _machineType=1, _sessionId=1, BIS_functions=L 1-1-C:1, group=L 1-1-C, player=B 1-1-A:1 (Jack Trades), _playerType=FR_TL", _playerGroup=B 1-1-A]

Addon markb50k_lost (entry MARKB50K_CacheBox) not found in the list of active addons.

Cannot load sound 'ui\ui_cc.wss'

Cannot load sound 'ui\ui_ok.wss'

"UNKNOWN Mage: <NULL-object> Level: 4 Pract: 466 Chann: 156 Summ: 156 Manip: 156"

Landcontact missing in FoldChair_with_Cargo:ca\misc2\table\chair_cargo.p3d

"EAST Mage: O 1-1-I:1 Level: 3 Pract: 320 Chann: 107 Summ: 107 Manip: 107"

"EAST Mage: O 1-2-A:2 Level: 2 Pract: 86 Chann: 29 Summ: 29 Manip: 29"

"EAST Mage: O 1-1-M:1 Level: 2 Pract: 100 Chann: 34 Summ: 34 Manip: 34"

"EAST Mage: O 1-2-B:1 Level: 4 Pract: 494 Chann: 165 Summ: 165 Manip: 165"

"mage: O 1-1-I:1 from pool: [["RYDMGCK_SHIELD",1],["RYDMGCK_FLYINGCARPET",3],["RYDMGCK_SUMMONELF",3],["RYDMGCK_ICESTORM",1],["RYDMGCK_TELEPORT",1],["RYDMGCK_FREEZE",2],["RYDMGCK_CATAPULT",3],["RYDMGCK_CURSE",3],["RYDMGCK_FIREBALL",3],["RYDMGCK_FIREBALL",3],["RYDMGCK_FIREBALL",3],["RYDMGCK_FIREBALL",3],["RYDMGCK_LIFEDRAIN",3]] is casting: RYDMGCK_FREEZE"

"mage: O 1-1-M:1 from pool: [["RYDMGCK_SHIELD",1],["RYDMGCK_ICESTORM",1],["RYDMGCK_TELEPORT",1],["RYDMGCK_FREEZE",2]] is casting: RYDMGCK_TELEPORT"

"mage: O 1-2-A:2 from pool: [["RYDMGCK_SHIELD",1],["RYDMGCK_CLAIRVOYANT",1]] is casting: RYDMGCK_CLAIRVOYANT"

[7036,190.615,0,"XEH: PreInit Started. v3.3.3. MISSINIT: missionName=intro, worldName=utes, isMultiplayer=false, isServer=true, isDedicated=false"]

[7036,190.706,0,"XEH: PreInit Finished. CACHE DISABLED? (Disable caching with cba_disable_cache.pbo): SLX_XEH_RECOMPILE=false, CBA_COMPILE_RECOMPILE=false, CBA_FUNC_RECOMPILE=false"]

[7038,193.002,0.058,"XEH: PostInit Started"]

[7038,193.031,0.058,"CBA_VERSIONING: cba=0.8.3.175, "]

[7038,193.042,0.058,"XEH: PostInit Finished. State: _isClient=true, _isJip=false, _isDedClient=false, _isServer=true, _isDedServer=false, _playerCheckDone=true, _sp=true, _startInitDone=true, _postInitDone=true, _mpRespawn=false, _machineType=1, _sessionId=2, BIS_functions=L 1-1-A:1, group=L 1-1-A, player=<NULL-object>, _playerType=", _playerGroup=<NULL-group&gt]

Edited by kiberkiller

OK. I have some news. I tested CEMS with some earlier version of Lost. Now I installed and launched newest - there are some serious changes comparing to mine. Rincewinder is working, but in debug I see, that for some reason player is every time removed from array of BMs. I must to study this version to determine, what is cause. Thanks for reporting, will struggle with this.

EDIT: only a guess for now, but if there is at the beginning in new version screen, where you can choose player (wasn't in version tested with CEMS), then at the beginning there is no player. And Rincewinder looks for player at the beginning... This explains problem, but not sure, if it is about this. Must to figure out some solution.

Edited by Rydygier

i dont completely follow the issue here, but one thing i think is important is that in LOST you have the ability to switch your player character. Which means sometime after the mission starts, the player actually does a switch between bodies. If RINCEWINDER add the spells to the player too early, after the player switches to the new unit type, it wont have the spells anymore.

Yes, found this switching with some debug. And exactly this switching player's character caused problem, as you said. This new feature suprised me - I should download newest Lost earlier. :) Hotfix is prepared now, works with newest Lost and, I hope, do not generates any new issues... :) One rule - ability is gained, when player is not inside vehicle (if is at the beginning, then will gain BM ability when disembark + max 15 seconds delay).

---------- Post added at 19:38 ---------- Previous post was at 19:32 ----------

Ready. New 0.51 version can be now tested with newest Lost - should work.

This reminds me of the old zombie/undead pack by the guy who did Operation Farmland, with the spell casting vampires or warlocks or whatever they were.

I also recall way back in the day OPX tried to do something called "Project Fantasy" or something similar to that effect.

The two most interesting spells I've come across thus far are "dragon wing", and "Freeze".

The latter has trap potential written all over it.

Well, I guess, that with some good modellers with inclination to such "realities", as eg Icewindo with his Crusade mod, and with same kind of map maker, fantasy total mod is possible, but I know, that this is milsim, and most of talented modders prefer to spend a lots (really lots, months and years) of time and work required for such projects to improve the realism of the battlefield, not as of opposite effect. Such ideas probably will meet response in kind of "if you want fantasy game, buy yourself Skirim". As for me - such thing would be great, but I'm also very happy with situation of confrontation magic powers with modern world weaponry - some kind of alternate world. I wonder, how may look a BM-soldier model (outfit, equipment, tactics and so on) in such world, where centuries of developing war technology, like in real world, is completed by centuries of developing magic for combat purposes, definetelly such "modern battlemage" would be not any kind of classic "medieval" gandalf-like grandpa...

Edited by Rydygier

Good words, Rydygier. Your work with CEMS once again reminds me why I think ArmA series is so great. As somebody put it in the OFP forums years ago, it's not just a single game, but a "monster of a games-making machine!":cool:

Besides Dungeons & Dragons type fantasy, your addon can be used for all kinds of settings, including the techno-magical one you mentioned. I myself have been toying with the idea of a Men Who Stare At Goats type missions, as well as WW2 "Weird War II" scenarios, with SS Ahnenerbe "Kampf Zauberen" thrown in. Maybe some Haunabu prototypes for some Iron Skyesque flavour...

For your own mix of technology/magick, you may wish to check out the Technomancy sourcebook for the GURPS roleplaying game: http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/technomancer/

Well, I guess, that with some good modellers with inclination to such "realities", as eg Icewindo with his Crusade mod, and with same kind of map maker, fantasy total mod is possible, but I know, that this is milsim, and most of talented modders prefer to spend a lots (really lots, months and years) of time and work required for such projects to improve the realism of the battlefield, not as of opposite effect. Such ideas probably will meet response in kind of "if you want fantasy game, buy yourself Skirim". As for me - such thing would be great, but I'm also very happy with situation of confrontation magic powers with modern world weaponry - some kind of alternate world. I wonder, how may look a BM-soldier model (outfit, equipment, tactics and so on) in such world, where centuries of developing war technology, like in real world, is completed by centuries of developing magic for combat purposes, definetelly such "modern battlemage" would be not any kind of classic "medieval" gandalf-like grandpa...

Hmm I dunno if you allready have this map but for the stargate mod I created a map which has different "planets" / islands and the northwestern island was kinda inspired by Oblivion. It's a green island with some castle ruins and stone roads so it might suit some fantasy/medieval action.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xbys99ibnxven (multi part archive)

This release was a WIP release though and I have recently picked the map up again to release a more polished version.

As for a technology clash scenario, would a mix of modern and medieval gear help? It would not be difficult for me to merge my model parts like helmets, hoods etc. with modern equipment.

E.g. like this:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/bla212/rus-mage2.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/bla212/rus-cru.jpg

Thanks, Icewindo. :) Will check this map in near future. Very nice this gear mix. I do not know, if logical, but who cares? :) If only you want and if you will have a time, then I'll be very glad to see these and other, if imagination will tell you any other concept. I think for now about two more variants of first picture: same, but not black, but some, eg woodland, camo pattern (yes, chain mail too :) ), and another camo, but without chain mail, only camo hood as something new, and perhaps same in... woman version? :) Not sure, when I will have time, but there are in my mind some scenario concepts, where such and other models in this kind can prove very... apprioprate.

Edited by Rydygier

I think I've discovered the first possibly serious gameplay issue when playing against AI with magic powers.

They really -LOVE- to use random dislocation, and if it places you way the hell out in the middle of the ocean, and you use random dislocation to teleport back to land, you re-appear basically swimming in the air.

I'd generally advise getting rid of that ability for the AI.

Thus far its pretty much been a random dislocation fest.

I'd also say that magic users seem to be able to see through walls when determining to use magic powers, which can make things kind of difficult.

That aside, this mod has tons of potential, its quite a blast to play.

Edited by Pd3

I'd generally advise getting rid of that ability for the AI.

Not sure, if this is good idea. It is part of fun - situation because of this spell can change drastically in one moment, and as for me this is good thing, that makes battles more unpredictible and different comparing to normal firefights, without magic. EDIT: However probably will be possible to add new init config with spell blacklist, one for AI, another for player, so user can decide, which spells shouldn't be used.

As for sea and flying... Hmm. Spell uses setPosATL. In previous version vertical axis was always 0 (so no flying after swimming, but probably possible drowning instead of swimming :) ). But I noticed, that when used on flying vehicles, it is too powerful - brings chopper or plane on ground level = boom and vehicle is destroyed... Too easy. So in this version target's vertical ATL value is unchanged (but there is 1% chance, that also this axis value will be randomized in some limits as magic chaos factor). This may mean, that after swimming unit will be set in the air at the height equal to deepness of sea at their initial point. Interesting issue. But, what to do with this? Probably before replacing I can test, if surface is water and unit's ASL height near 0, and if target point isn't on the sea, and if so, then ATL movement will be with vertical axis equal 0... Also I can "tune down" usage of this spell, bu this will have one of two logical consequences: BMs will cast with less frequency, or will use one of another first level spells more often instead.

As for seeing through the walls - magic usage is based on knowledge factor (findNearestEnemy). So if, eg they use Awareness spell, or if they possesed knowledge about player/other AI in usual ways (hearing/movement extrapolation/memory/sharing info with another group memebers and even another groups (possible with some addons)), they will use magic regardless of LOS, and this is quite logical to me, because - why not? If they know, that you are there... Some spells, like Icestorm, are in fact designed in such way, that preferably will be used without LOS betwen BM and enemy. I think, that this should be that way except mentioned in manual issue with fireball - LOS test should be performed in this case first, and will be when patch 1.61 will be released.

Edited by Rydygier

OK. Thanks for reporting, Pd3, v. 0.52 beta is available, I hope, that issues are removed, and not added any new bugs:

v. 0.52 beta:

- fixed bug with "swimming in the air" when teleport spell is used in the water;

- slightly rebalanced AI spell usage of 1st level (less teleporting, more icestorming);

- added two new init config arrays: spell blacklists for AI and for player;

- updated manual content.

OK. Thanks for reporting, Pd3, v. 0.52 beta is available, I hope, that issues are removed, and not added any new bugs:

v. 0.52 beta:

- fixed bug with "swimming in the air" when teleport spell is used in the water;

- slightly rebalanced AI spell usage of 1st level (less teleporting, more icestorming);

- added two new init config arrays: spell blacklists for AI and for player;

- updated manual content.

I'll give it a go this evening and see how it works.

Thanks Foxhoud, in the same time 0.53 became newest beta. :)

Fixed just found during tests bug, where mage never lost once gained "near mana source" status.

Edited by Rydygier

Thanks Foxhoud, in the same time 0.53 became newest beta. :)

Fixed just found during tests bug, where mage never lost once gained "near mana source" status.

Jeez, there's so much going on currently I can't keep up :)

Looking forward to trying the new version over the weekend. Thanks for your work on this, it's really good fun :D

I must say, a great improvement in the successive updates.

Although I must say sometimes the AI does do peculiar things when they have spells available to them.

I was well out of the visual range of any AI casters, and out of nowhere I hear a "FWOOOWH", and then something parked by a building exploded.

Was that a fireball or?

I haven't played around enough yet to see a fireball, although I can't tell you what a relief it is not to be constantly teleported around.

This mod has a lot of promise, I wouldn't mind testing it in MP to find any potential bugs that might result.

Thanks a lot for all testings and for using, It is great fun also for me. :) Now, when I repaired near-mana-source, I'm thinking about adding next init variable - multiplier of mana regeneration. I thought, that not all will be happy with slow regeneration when there is no near mana source (although this gives opportunity to set missions in style of wars for mana sources). Still in own mission is always possible to place location of type mentioned in manual as mana source, that will cover whole map...

Not sure when this may be implemented, as this is not my main project, but there are also some plans/ideas, not quite crystallized yet, eg some kind of, not sure, objects/gear item/vehicles, that will serve as kind of moveable/mobile mana gain/channeling amplifier/resonator. Another idea - kind of necromancy - ability of gaining mana from bodies, but with some price. For know I do not know, whatever price it could be. Well. This is a future concepts and nothing sure.

When I saw the word "dragon" at the mod description I was grasped like hell. Is that even possible to add that thing into mil-sim game just like other mods did?

I'm sure, that a good modeller can make a real dragon model, probably even flying and fire-breathing. Theoretically, because, as I wrote, good modellers are mostly occupied with mil-sim stuff, not fantasy, and such model must mean a lots of work, including animations...

I'm not a modeller at all, so in Rincewinder summoned "dragon" is substituted by chopper with some particle effects and appriopriate scream sounds. Well. These machines always seemed to me like dragons (or at least dragon-fly :) ). Same way - earth elemental is substituted by APCs or tank with some special effects. Fire elemental though is another story.

Edited by Rydygier