Sign in to follow this  

Hi,

I'm very interested fan of Carrier Command: Gaea Mission (and other BIStudio's games) because it's reminds me of all those classics like Battlezone I, Battlezone II, Uprising, etc. However, I'm bit in dilema whether to go into P&C BETA or not - even for that great price 16.99 euro. That's mainly for the two reasons:

1. I'm old school, I want game on DVD in nice box.

2. I'm little afraid of spoiling final game experience. It's still beta, remember.

:confused:

Anyone, any ideas?

1. Well, you are going to have to get used to the 'New School'. After all, you managed the transition from tape, to floppy, to diskette, to CD, to DVD - it's only a small step to download!

2. How about having the chance to shape the final game experience - that's got to be better right?

1. Well, you are going to have to get used to the 'New School'. After all, you managed the transition from tape, to floppy, to diskette, to CD, to DVD - it's only a small step to download!

That would be nice, but digital download doesn't replace the feeling of owning something physical you can touch, smell, look at. I remember days when games were packed in big boxes with lots of manuals, maps, assists, books, and other merchandize and I miss those times. That's why I always prefer boxed game when it comes to buying original.

Secondly, your second answer has a point.

That would be nice, but digital download doesn't replace the feeling of owning something physical you can touch, smell, look at. I remember days when games were packed in big boxes with lots of manuals, maps, assists, books, and other merchandize and I miss those times. That's why I always prefer boxed game when it comes to buying original.

That time has long past. Nowadays when you buy a boxed version you may be lucky if it actually contains a manual in printed form in my honest opinion.

Most times it contains some thin paper thing with the keycode, ads for their other games and maybe the basics to only get you started.

When you want something physical to smell and/or touch just buy a digital version, burn it on a DVD, add a lovely custom cover and print the manual.

I was like you too, I always waited for the retail version but I have given up a while ago, its not worth the hassle anymore :)

That time has long past. Nowadays when you buy a boxed version you may be lucky if it actually contains a manual in printed form in my honest opinion.

Most times it contains some thin paper thing with the keycode, ads for their other games and maybe the basics to only get you started.

When you want something physical to smell and/or touch just buy a digital version, burn it on a DVD, add a lovely custom cover and print the manual.

I was like you too, I always waited for the retail version but I have given up a while ago, its not worth the hassle anymore :)

True, you just end up downloading the game half the time anyway as the disk is practically blank.

To be fair I purchased BF3 on DVD because I didn't want the hassle of downloading it. Loaded it up, then had to wait whilst a 3gb patch was downloaded....

Put me off buying physical media....

G

Edited by Gazzareth
More info

Thanks for your opinions guys. I'm sure we will see each other in the game, question is only when :)

For sure - prepare to be boarded! (Once we have MP anyway!).

I made the somewhat reluctant move to digital download a few years back.

But yes, I do remember fondly the days when you'd buy a Microprose game which had a thick manual, and a keyboard overlay to help you quickly get up to speed with the controls, and sometimes even additional 'enemy silhouette' recognition cards and the like. It certainly helped with the feeling of immersion in the game.

In fact, even when I ditched the games themselves, I kept the manuals for well-supported games like LucasArt's ''Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe'' because they contained such interesting information.

Wouldn't it be great if games developers at least made these kinds of items available as a free digital download? I really it's extra work for no extra sale, but perhaps it could be used as an incentive for people to register their games, and add themselves to the customer direct marketing database.

Just to expand on your second issue, the beta is the strategic game only. A game mode that you'd be playing over and over anyway. The single-player campaign is not part of the beta, so you'll still have that!

To be fair I purchased BF3 on DVD because I didn't want the hassle of downloading it. Loaded it up, then had to wait whilst a 3gb patch was downloaded....

Put me off buying physical media....

G

That was the last game I will ever buy on DVD. I put in disc an it proceeded to download entire install... slowly. It will be all digital download for me from here on out.

I miss the boxes and discs too, I still have every manual and map from all my BIS games, but those days are over and it's time to deal with it.

I still buy physical copies of games whenever possible even if that means buying a game twice. I have (untouched) retail copies of Take On Helicopters and Arma 2: Reinforcements here on my Desk and I think I will order a retail copy of CC and Arma 3 too if possible.

I miss the boxes and discs too, I still have every manual and map from all my BIS games, but those days are over and it's time to deal with it.

No, they are far from being over. A boxed version can be replaced by nothing except maybe another boxed version. I can't put a measly download into my shelfes. A download is just about nothing. Well, you can use the download as long as the publisher grants you that, but there is nothing you really own. I don't like it at all and whenever a boxed version is available I prefer that one. I will surely never deal with it - if a download copy is the only option, then I am opting out.

In this case I make an exception though. "Carrier Command: Gaea Mission" is a game you just can't avoid. I hold the original Carrier Command very dear, it means to me about the same as Elite. There is no way not being involved in every single aspect of the promising successor.

And this is the only thing I can tell you, ZOLLINO: Don't miss your chance! All I've seen so far from "Carrier Command: Gaea Mission" it worth every single Cent. And more!

I've dragging my ass and complaining about Digital Downloads for Years, my fear is that we'll be renting games, never owning copies. But thus far every Digital D/L from Steam and Bohemia have worked better than owning the DVD only heavily modded games have been a lil' quirky through steam... and as ArmA 1 and 1/2 of my older CDs and DVDs are scratched beyond repair, I gotta admit Online Access is far better than a DVD replacement shipping costs and time... UbiSoft is the only one that's given me any headache, but that's beyond this thread.

The real beauty of Trial Betas is getting some input in the development process, even if completely ignored. A Read/Write culture so to speak...

...today, I just try to buy directly from the developers. Which means Downloads...