Sign in to follow this  
james2464

New anti-aliasing algorithm TXAA, Arma 3 potential?

You should be able to try TXAA in ArmA 2 now (as long as you have a 600+ card :p), just be aware that it might cause graphical issues.

So BIS don't have to implement anything? Just configure it through the Nvidia settings

Oh wow! Thanks for heads up - downloading :)

Edit: Looks like we gotta wait for Dev's to enable:

though Nvidia's GeForce blog notes that the smoother textures won't take hold until the game releases an update of its own to activate the TXAA functionality. Another downside: only GTX 600-series video cards support TXAA

-Maximum PC

Edited by froggyluv

From Timothy's blog and from what I've heard, the game itself has to support it. It's not something you can just enable in the drivers for any game.

So far the only game that is (will?) supporting it is The Secret World.

EDIT: Also, there is no TXAA setting in the drivers so that further supports this conclusion.

The FXAA with sharpen filter introduced with latest betas is the most awesome AA I ever seen. Arma is looking crisp and it runs fast.

TXAA is nVidia proprietary tech. Why would BIS even take it into consideration, when there are others similar approaches, that works on both AMD and nVidia GFX cards. Bis have taken the same route for physix, so i would expect they do the same with this (note that i am planning to replace my amd with an nvidia card - most likely - before A3 alpha gets released...)

well, if it's little effort ot implement and gets great results, why not?

but yeah, probably wont be many people able to use it, it's only on gtx670 and up. I wonder why it's kepler only.

Adding TXAA shouldn't be hard or time consuming to implement, I don't see why anyone would mind just because they are on hardware that doesn't support it. Also, FXAA 4 is no longer in development, it has been cancelled due to the guy working on / with TXAA.

As for the argument above, TXAA needs to be implemented by the developers. There is no injector or setting in the Nvidia control panel to force it.

Source

According to Nvidia Arma 3 won't necessarily have to support TXAA natively as you can enable the AA via the Nvidia control panel(driver) so theoretically you could have 0 AA in game and have Nvidia run TXAA. Although ideally this could be a possible feature as BIS are always looking for ways to balance visuals with performance.

In summary:

TXAA(1) = 16x MSAA = 2x MSAA performance tax

Screenshot comparison:

MSAA: http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/1284/183br.jpg

vs

TXAA: http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/1230/183aon.jpg

Subsequently this technology will be available on Kepler architecture AKA: Geforce 680GTX release 22nd March.

The Quality is very affective, I am liking this :)

Plus you could use Anti Aliasing Post Processing which helps blur the lines instead of geometrically fixing their aliasing.

The Quality is very affective, I am liking this :)

Plus you could use Anti Aliasing Post Processing which helps blur the lines instead of geometrically fixing their aliasing.

in games it should be even better because it works in motion.

TXAA looks VERY promising, i hope it will be available in Arma 3. When it comes to AA i never use the in game way, always override it in the Nvidia CP to at least 4x AA.

in games it should be even better because it works in motion.

Post processing means it just blurs the rendered frame in places of high contrast.

It's a poor man's AA for engines that cannot support proper measures.

If you compare the picture the difference is obvious and PP is a step back from normal AA we already have.

Post processing means it just blurs the rendered frame in places of high contrast.

It's a poor man's AA for engines that cannot support proper measures.

If you compare the picture the difference is obvious and PP is a step back from normal AA we already have.

were does it say it's postprocessing?

From what I can tell, FXAA is sort of a hybrid of hardware AA and post-processing AA. That's just from reading through Timothy Lottes' blog, but I could be wrong.

Also, I would argue that PPAA is the future. MSAA/SSAA are "brute force" methods that look pretty good but are heavy hits on performance. I also agree that PPAA is not yet at a level to completely replace MSAA/SSAA, though, at least not in ArmA 2.

yeah, it does a bit of msaa but it also uses info from previous frames for the best estimation of how a frame should look.

I'm not a big fxaa fan, but this txaa looks very interesting, too bad it's kepler only, I wonder why.

MSAA is woking fine now... not much performance lines and no horrendous white outlines (I really hate them...) So, aslong as there are now white outlines (damn you...) I probably wont mind TXAA is not implemented, could it be done after launch in some sort of patch?

Edited by lolipoyi

MSAA is woking fine now... not much performance lines and no horrendous white outlines (I really hate them...) So, aslong as there are now white outlines (damn you...) I probably wont mind TXAA is not implemented, could it be done after launch in some sort of patch?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but I get white outlines with MSAA in ArmA 2, which is generally why I hate having it on. But if I turn it off, SMAA Ultra is not good enough to get rid of jaggies/"crawling" so I lose either way.

nah i would like to see comparsion against qualite SMAA :)

personally put more hopes in visual impact of 4k[or higher-resolution, eventually]displays of appearance/gameplay.

having about half of FSAA performance penalties with WASTLY more pleasing appearance, generally was found quite interesting condition/setup.

Well this does get rid of the annoying moving jaggies. Blurs it a bit, but that's to be expected at a performance hit of 2x MSAA, I wonder how high you have to oversample to make it sharp agian.

Edited by Leon86

TXAA isnt really all that good if you have the power(680,7970) for REAL AA.

TXAA isnt really all that good if you have the power(680,7970) for REAL AA.

You really should educate yourself on PPAA versus other solutions like MSAA, especially with today's engines.

ArmA 3 would really benefit from TXAA for the users it's available to. However I'd gladly take an SMAA option, which I'm sure they will implement.

I am well aware of what you speak. TXAA is not all that. A3 is not a "today" engine. There is a SMAA option you can mess with in A2OA. I prefer FXAA with sharpener in A2. Less Blury shit is better.

I am well aware of what you speak. TXAA is not all that. A3 is not a "today" engine. There is a SMAA option you can mess with in A2OA. I prefer FXAA with sharpener in A2. Less Blury shit is better.

Yes, it is all that if you actually knew what it was.

FXAA with Sharpening just ruins the IQ and SMAA's effectiveness varies wildly. They are good alternatives to regular MSAA but TXAA is very effective at a slightly higher performance indent compared to the lesser PPAA solutions. Especially in a game like ArmA with a lot of aliasing. Can even remove shimmering from a scene.

And an engine's age or relevance isn't based on when it was conceived but the amount of support and the updates it had. Every advanced engine today is an iteration of an older engine, so Real Virtuality is as much a "today" engine as CryEngine 3 just with a different use and scope.

Edited by Sethos

Yet, somehow the 'lesser' ppaa solutions don't blur textures and destroy the artwork they are attempting to enhance.