Sign in to follow this  
hoak

Cover Systems, Lean & Realism

Is there any in-depth technical recitation on RV net-code, or net-code thread for ArmA 3?

Not that I'm aware of. Most of our "knowledge" is based on semi-informed speculation and the occasional dreg of actual information provided by Suma, Dwarden or one of the other devs. They usually pop in to correct people if they post something obviously false, so that seems like the best way to get some real info. :D

And no, the networking part of RV really isn't up to par with other engines when it comes to competitive PvP. They've just recently started implementing a script command filter through BattlEye, which is a start, but even the best anti-cheat tools won't help if the networking logic itself isn't locked down. The net code in its current state has more angles of attack than a granny in a wheelchair.

But we are getting kind of off topic. :)

Judging by the the angle of the flashlight I think the camera is mounted directly forward, but you could possibly be right so I won't argue the point.

Helmet mounted video recorder are side mounted, and in most case (and in that video) it is mounted on the reaction side of the body, which you can clearly judged by the angle of the rifle in related to the body(unless you have extremely wide shoulder), later when he is engaging in door, you can clearly see that every time he use walls as cover the video recorder slightly tile to the right and the rifle become more center lined with the recorder, that is the body mechanism work when a person is leaning. Try to be more scientific and stop being moon hoax supporter.

offtopic: And just before you say anything - YES! WE DID LANDED ON THE MOON, 6 TIMES.

Edited by 4 IN 1

US soldiers (Marines?) in firefight probably somewhere in Afhanistan:

PART1:

PART2:

Blind firing all the time. But I wonder if this is really professional.

OFFTOPIC: Another thing I noticed is that compared to ARMA M249 IRL can't really be fired unmounted.

Those are airsofters. As stated here before, real soldiers don´t ever do that. EVER! :rolleyes:

Good footage anyway, intense stuff.

Do you people really only play as special forces and nothing else? If so, that is really sad.

I spend half my time in the boots of conscripts or irregulars in this game.

Regardless of whether it's "proper tactics", the fact seems to be that people do use it. I can see the benefit of blindfiring if it's not overly wasteful of ammo and is keeping the enemy from either advancing with impunity or firing with accuracy. Of course the armchair "pro" soldiers will dismiss it, but not all units in ArmA are special forces.

I think if we had a SMK_anims only server with 40 people, we could test all this theory! :p

@4 IN 1: Check the first rounds he fires, half blind because they're in proximity and not aimed, just instinctive shooting. He tries to use the doorjamb as a bit of cover, but is firing while pulling into it - in the proximity of visual contact, half blind in my opinion for those first few shots.

Try to be more scientific and stop being moon hoax supporter.

offtopic: And just before you say anything - YES! WE DID LANDED ON THE MOON, 6 TIMES.

No point going off topic, I'm not going to be dragged into some juvenile shit fight.

U.S Marine in Helmand province Afghanistan.

Pp_p-0_KYdE&context=C4e2504fADvjVQa1PpcFODIfYh5xtQeChBytleqmj_C9jCWDJI9lg=

U.S Marines assualting the Citadel in Hue City Vietnam.

jNnGnMOqMzA&context=C47c0be5ADvjVQa1PpcFODIfYh5xtQeNWMxX7Jna6wRmFovYP-R3g=

do you have a boner each time you talk\post a video about blindfire? Because there is actually no other reason for you to do it on each page of this thread...

Just move on lad

Funny Pufu because you've done that similar style of comment in multiple threads. If you don't contribute to, move on yourself.

I think if we had a SMK_anims only server with 40 people, we could test all this theory! :p

@4 IN 1: Check the first rounds he fires, half blind because they're in proximity and not aimed, just instinctive shooting. He tries to use the doorjamb as a bit of cover, but is firing while pulling into it - in the proximity of visual contact, half blind in my opinion for those first few shots.

Half blind yes, and that we already have, its why you can switch between first person and weapon sight.

Seems that some people don't get what blindfire is: the shooter fires his weapon from behind an object (wall, car, corner...) and he does not know or care where he is aiming = shooting blindly. If a team is cornered this might be their last lucky chance to repel/slow down the advancing enemies at close range. But using blindfire as an "alternative" to cover fire is senseless. There is just a very small chance to hit anything important with blindfire, better use cover fire and know where the bullets go and where enemy actually is. Of course with 3rd person view active people will use blindfire effectively to make high precision kills/headshots just from behind their cover. Doesn't matter if he is a grunt or a fastmover. :)

Of course with 3rd person view active people will use blindfire effectively to make high precision kills/headshots just from behind their cover. Doesn't matter if he is a grunt or a fastmover. :)

A very good point. I imagine this would be exploited nine ways to sunday on 3rd person enabled servers.

Sure but 3rd person is an exploit in itself anyway, this just gives them the advantage to be more accurate when using it - this can be countered with recoil upon using it, making it hard to adjust. You could call suppressive fire useless, but it would not be true - blindfire in essence is a type of, with more cons but great for use in CQB. There's no point argueing about personal preferences. :)

do you have a boner each time you talk\post a video about blindfire? Because there is actually no other reason for you to do it on each page of this thread...

Just move on lad

I have been informed by one of the game developers that he is very interested in the videos I have been posting. If you have something constructive to add to the discussion, please do.

Seems that some people don't get what blindfire is: the shooter fires his weapon from behind an object (wall, car, corner...) and he does not know or care where he is aiming = shooting blindly.

Like this? -

bG5susSmUM4&context=C43484a0ADvjVQa1PpcFODIfYh5xtQeNWMxX7Jna6wRmFovYP-R3g=

Perhaps you could post an example of your own to explain exactly what you mean.

Yeah, if a blind fire feature were implemented, there should be no way to use it accurately. The cursor should not be visible while blind firing, obviously, and it should come with heavy, uncontrollable recoil.

It would still be exploitable in 3rd person though, which remains a problem. Since the 3rd person option is unlikely to be removed, such issues cannot be ignored.

The cursor should not be visible while blind firing, obviously, and it should come with heavy, uncontrollable recoil.

I agree with that idea.

No one here really disput the fact that it is being use IRL , but personally it is just one of the thing that is at the bottom of the list, things like making the player avatar to switch weapon hand, adjusting weapons heights when prone or crouch near low objects or even leaning angle near objects edge for example is more practical.

^ cool ideas.

Whirly please read comments more carefully and try to understand that blind = blind. Some of your video snippets just show what is already possible in CO = firing your weapon without watching through iron sight/scope view. Some of them show that there is a guy who directs the fire or videos show that the impact is beeing observed. No one needs to be trained in blindfire its just shooting your weapon into a certain direction where the enemy might be. Blindfire is highly ineffective and revealing in all situations except beeing cornered and surrounded by enemies in close range. Another point is how to implement proper fatigue, morale and desperation to make it work ingame with/against players and AI?

Whirly please read comments more carefully and try to understand that blind = blind.

I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. Please post an example of what you consider to be 'blind' fire.

Blind fire means shooting at whatever things that is not within your line of sight, or field of view , if you understand what line of sight and field of view means FPDR

Edited by 4 IN 1

Blind fire means shooting at whatever things that is not within your line of sight, or field of view , if you understand what line of sight and field of view means FPDR

So you would agree that the picture I already posted in this thread (post #60) would be a perfect example of blindfire.

wUy41gkbG4U&context=C4c51395ADvjVQa1PpcFODIfYh5xtQeLtRI5wpPAIeKJgSX1JNav0=

Or how about this video - which I have already posted earlier on this thread...

Eq1OEif8KP4&context=C4d436d3ADvjVQa1PpcFODIfYh5xtQeNWHHzaejzgdBmaxemkyEnQ=

Or how about this example, which was posted on this thread earlier. Please explain, in detail, what you know about 'blindfire' that I dont, I'm very interested to know.

RMlOO9v6IiE&context=C4e467aeADvjVQa1PpcFODIfYh5xtQeBqDv9SU3DdIucBrHn9AOzo=

Whirly is right, and I have already explained the point of blindfiring. The point of blindfiring is to suppress and hopefully kill the enemy without exposing yourself. Very much something that takes place when you yourself are suppressed. If you don't know what suppression means, NoRailgunner, it means the enemy is pinning you down with a lot of fire. The point of blindfiring, especially in that last video posted by Whirly, is to "pour" bullets into the room, forcing the enemy to take cover, hopefully landing some in the enemy's bodies. The point is not to expose yourself. No it's not accurate, no it's not meant to be accurate. Yeah, the solution would be removing crosshairs. But it's something that a lot of soldiers do. So you need to accept that.