SFG

Invasion 1944 v2.6 (CO)

what I would like in tanks - generally, not just I44 - is two commands for turn out. One for the crew only, and a personal one for the commander. I would also like it if AI crew auto turned in under combat behaviour, but that the commander's combat behaviour was to be turned out unless infantry was within, say, 300 metres.

---------- Post added 02-01-2013 at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-31-2013 at 11:47 PM ----------

incidentally one little change I have made in my I44 weapons config is to give the Bren,BAR,FG42,MG34 and MG42 an entry of ace_bipod = 1; Nothing to do with ACE, but means they will satisfy a check in ASR_AI and the unit will have a greater likelihood of firing from prone, which is an aesthetic I prefer for these weapons. It would maybe be worth agreeing a variable name with Robalo for I44 bipods and asking him to incorporate?

what I would like in tanks - generally, not just I44 - is two commands for turn out. One for the crew only, and a personal one for the commander. I would also like it if AI crew auto turned in under combat behaviour, but that the commander's combat behaviour was to be turned out unless infantry was within, say, 300 metres.

I would agree with this, for the most part, it would be nice to be able to turn out and not have the crew join you when AI controlled. Though if memory servers they *should* turn in when under fire, not something I've been able to play with for a while though so can't be sure. However not sure if you've actually tried turning out or staying turned out in front of enemy tanks, you very quickly become a target for just about every machine gun as you become a priority target over the tank itself. So I think this is really just a limitation we'll have to put up with in SP. In MP though, turning out works really nicely with the commander turning out and using binos for a better field of view guiding the rest of the crew who are "safely" tucked inside :)

incidentally one little change I have made in my I44 weapons config is to give the Bren,BAR,FG42,MG34 and MG42 an entry of ace_bipod = 1; Nothing to do with ACE, but means they will satisfy a check in ASR_AI and the unit will have a greater likelihood of firing from prone, which is an aesthetic I prefer for these weapons. It would maybe be worth agreeing a variable name with Robalo for I44 bipods and asking him to incorporate?

I'm sure its something that could be done one way or another. Though I tend to use DAC for most of my infantry in missions where you can define classtypes which will suppress from a prone position and that works pretty well for MG'ers. We can look into something along these lines for 2.7 if theres time though (and I remember), might be worth adding it as a feature suggestion on Dev-Heaven so I do ;)

In MP though, turning out works really nicely with the commander turning out and using binos for a better field of view guiding the rest of the crew who are "safely" tucked inside :)

Yes I can imagine that works really nicely, particularly when the gunner doesn't always have the best view of impact due to dust etc. I guess I am going to have to give MP a try :) . It's just so easy to lose all your time in the SP sandbox.

is that commander MGs on tanks are being fired while the crew is turned in

Just to let you know I had a little time so implement turned out firing only on the Sherman and Stuart tanks with external mounted MG's. I think the only vehicles left that you can fire the external mg's on are those that had interior controls for them (StuG/H, Hetzer). The only exception being the Greyhound as it doesn't have a turn out option. But this should balance things a bit more. The top mounted MG's on all tanks were intended for AA defence rather than infantry engagement for the most part so this should prevent people using them as infantry lawn mowers :)

v2.65 hotfix is very nearly ready and should solve a few issues encountered with this release. Expect more news in a couple of days once testing is complete!

Woo, the rate of updates is remarkable - especially given the wonderful quality of this mod. Loving 2.64. I'm making a Flashpoint i44 port & if thomsonb agrees I'll release it for other SP fans.

Thank you i44 team for truly fine work :D

It definitely looks like the latest beta patches have completely broken I44 or at least a lot of our features. It doesn't appear to be something we can fix so I'm hoping BI will be putting out a new patch soon that corrects whatever broke in the last couple of patches. But for now I would highly recommend rolling beta versions back or using the current stable version when playing I44 as systems such as the new tank damage/penetration just do not function at all right now with the beta.

Given this a rigourous workout the last few days, my mate was visiting. So fired up the LAN and set about the Wermacht in a squadron of Cromwells etc. I used to drive Armour for a living and he's doing a Masters in AFV design (which appears to be a lame excuse for going to Bovington a lot). Sooooo I guess we are a difficult to please. Verdict, for what it worth, excellent !

Our tip for small scale actions is to make each individual tank in your troop of 3, 4 or 5 a subordinate in High Command. Disconcerting as it is to see your AP ricochet off a Panther or Tiger it makes for great immersion, Got to get to a flank. The different effects also lead to tactical problems......i.e. Is it killed ? Do I keep on engaging etc ?

The forward observer Module given to enemy mortars works well, My mate "F@&k we're being stonked ! How did they do that ?"

It's made a whole new Armour Sim game really. Only thing that I find frustrating is the ability of the AI to engage through cover trees etc, did I read about a module or Mod to prevent this ?

Horsa ! Damn after an age porting in the 31st Normandy Mods ancient Horsa and trying to get them to land somewhere on the map, (it worked eventually, you have to give them a sip of fuel and ever so gently descending flyinheight commands at waypoints or they stall and wallop in. Quick set of triggers in proximity to discharge the troops jeeps guns etc) there's gliders coming. YAY ! Oh and I borrowed HIP's LVT for a bit of river crossing, I know it's not the Rhine but needed my amphibious fix :cool:

Thanks again for the magnificent effort and work you lads are doing. Your keeping a couple of old soldiers very happy !

The "Science" of armoured warfare is always tempered with the "anecdote". A 60lb Rocket may not "knock out" a Tiger with a proximity hit (well aside from damaging electrics, fuel and coolant lines, periscopes, teeth and frayed nerves) but Id challenge any scientist to sit in one and have it happen then ask them if they want to continue with the experiment ?

Edited by nickmow

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems that smoke shell and illum shell doesn't work with the ML-3 mortar (the British one).

I can hear the explosion but no smoke or no flare with parachute for the illum shell.

And the ML-3 is currently the only mortar which have this type of shell, but this is not a big problem. (we can add a script in our missions to create fake smoke shells or illuminating shells :o)

Edited by Le_CuLtO

Hmm interesting, there does definitely seem to be a problem with the smoke + illum shells I'll see what I can do about that. However there should be multiple types of shells for all mortars, however the weapon itself is only loaded with HE by default (as AI used to spam the WP rounds which were very laggy, but have since been fixed so they don't bring FPS to a screeching halt).

To access the rounds you need to place the relevant ammo box for the mortar nearby. Put whichever rounds you want to use into your inventory, then get close to the mortar and press tab or whichever key you have bound to our user interface. Use the static weapon interface button on the right and select 'Interact w/ item' and then press the 'Add Ammo' button. This will load any usable rounds from your inventory into the weapon. Each mortar has a slightly different selection of rounds available from their ammo crates, we just had no way for AI to distinguish between them so they would fire everything they had, so we limited preloaded ammo to HE only to limit the lag originally.

Quite what's happened to make the illum rounds not work (and smoke rounds not work or at least as intended) I'm not too sure. I'll take a look and poke the guys and see if there's anything we can do for this for 2.65 but more likely we'll have to address it in 2.7, thanks for spotting it!

Just to let you all know, rolling back to beta 100697 and everything should work as intended, if you use PwS this should now be the beta you download automatically, thanks Sickboy!

I concur. 100697 appears to be the last beta that isn't victim of the regression that degrades so many scripts.

Lil present for the dedicated servers again, these are the updated 50v50 battlegrounds that will be included with 2.65 hotfix, should address a few balance issues and perform a lot better server FPS wise! Again I've included a landing and no landing version of Omaha as I've yet to be able to stress test either on a server and see if there's much/any difference between the two.

*Doh files removed, fixes coming soon!*

Edited by PacUK

Given this a rigourous workout the last few days, my mate was visiting. So fired up the LAN and set about the Wermacht in a squadron of Cromwells etc. I used to drive Armour for a living and he's doing a Masters in AFV design (which appears to be a lame excuse for going to Bovington a lot). Sooooo I guess we are a difficult to please. Verdict, for what it worth, excellent !

Our tip for small scale actions is to make each individual tank in your troop of 3, 4 or 5 a subordinate in High Command. Disconcerting as it is to see your AP ricochet off a Panther or Tiger it makes for great immersion, Got to get to a flank. The different effects also lead to tactical problems......i.e. Is it killed ? Do I keep on engaging etc ?

The forward observer Module given to enemy mortars works well, My mate "F@&k we're being stonked ! How did they do that ?"

It's made a whole new Armour Sim game really. Only thing that I find frustrating is the ability of the AI to engage through cover trees etc, did I read about a module or Mod to prevent this ?

Horsa ! Damn after an age porting in the 31st Normandy Mods ancient Horsa and trying to get them to land somewhere on the map, (it worked eventually, you have to give them a sip of fuel and ever so gently descending flyinheight commands at waypoints or they stall and wallop in. Quick set of triggers in proximity to discharge the troops jeeps guns etc) there's gliders coming. YAY ! Oh and I borrowed HIP's LVT for a bit of river crossing, I know it's not the Rhine but needed my amphibious fix :cool:

Thanks again for the magnificent effort and work you lads are doing. Your keeping a couple of old soldiers very happy !

The "Science" of armoured warfare is always tempered with the "anecdote". A 60lb Rocket may not "knock out" a Tiger with a proximity hit (well aside from damaging electrics, fuel and coolant lines, periscopes, teeth and frayed nerves) but Id challenge any scientist to sit in one and have it happen then ask them if they want to continue with the experiment ?

Sounds good. An alternative would be for you and your mate to take a different side each and command the armour groups from a lead tank using http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14961 Domz's High Command extensions.

Speaking of the Cromwell, do you guys know the new effects aren't working with it? It just erupts then leaves a charred wreck with no tracks as it did before the armor overhaul.

Id challenge any scientist to sit in one and have it happen then ask them if they want to continue with the experiment ?

But what does that have to do with the price of fish? Science is just evidence based knowledge, that applies to everyone - it's not some private cult that applies only to elderly wild-haired men in white lab coats.

I was just trying to show the discrepancy in the numbers and myths about tanks destroyed by air attack. Contrary to popular myth the numbers destroyed by direct air attack were very few. As Animosity pointed out a few pages back, even the Tiger was surprisingly vulnerable to side attack from the humble 75 gunned Sherman/Cromwell - your enemy is not always going to co-operate and fire only at your thick frontal armor. The Panther's glass jaw also was its relatively weak side armor - not to mention Panther IV, or should I say "Robart der Hauchdunne" (Redbeard the Thin-Skinned).

Speaking of the Cromwell, do you guys know the new effects aren't working with it? It just erupts then leaves a charred wreck with no tracks as it did before the armor overhaul.

Yup Animosity has fixed that for 2.65 so no worries!

Ok here's ALL the battlegrounds updated for 2.65, a few of the features that I've been playing with on the 50v50's are now applied to the 25v25's as well (updated to current TPW suppression scripts, squad leader teleport, armoured vehicle side crew checks, couple of other odd fixes n tweaks + balancing). There are no planned changes to be made before the 2.65 hotfix but I'm putting them out early in case anyone wants to give them a bash locally or on your dedicated servers.

Battlegrounds v2.65

Update news! v2.65 is now all packed and ready to go, doing some final testing but I think we should be good to release tonight/monday morning :) Changelog below:

- [2.65] NEW Ambulance units (I44_Car_G_Kfz1_GrayOpen_Medic_WH, I44_Car_B_WillysAB_Medic_Army, I44_Car_A_WillysMB_Medic_Army)
- [2.65] NEW Warfare salvage and supply trucks (I44_Truck_G_Kfz305_Warfare_Salvage_WH, I44_Truck_G_Kfz305_Warfare_Supply_WH, I44_Truck_A_GMC_CCKW_Warfare_Salvage_Army, I44_Truck_A_GMC_CCKW_Warfare_Supply_Army)
- [2.65] NEW Improved behind armor effects on low caliber rounds
- [2.65] NEW Sherman tanks cannon gyro-stabilizers

- [2.65] FIXED BMW75 Bike wheels
- [2.65] FIXED Zeroing options removed from AT weapons
- [2.65] FIXED Hetzer main cannon name
- [2.65] FIXED Infantry standing close/boarding tanks registering as a hit
- [2.65] FIXED Some issues with armor penetration system
- [2.65] FIXED Churchill tank disappearing at distance
- [2.65] FIXED Churchill and Cromwell not working correctly with penetration system
- [2.65] FIXED Missing/incorrect file reference for shell bouncing sound
- [2.65] FIXED Top mounted MG's on tanks could be fired while turned in on tanks that did not have interior controls
- [2.65] FIXED Tank cannon recoil
- [2.65] FIXED Hanomag with GrW34 not working with Artillery computer

MP Missions:

[uPDATED]
All Battlegrounds C&H updated to v2.65 with the following changes:
-TPW Suppression updated to latest release (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?143797-TPWCAS-TPWC-AI-Suppression-System)
-Squad leader teleport available from main base flag
-Armored vehicle side crew checks (can no longer drive enemy armor)
-Rebalanced vehicle selection
-Diary updated with accurate information and tips on gameplay

NOTE: Two versions of the 100 player C&H Omaha Invasion mission included, v2.65a with landing sequence, and v2.65b with Rangers starting on the beach. Version 2.65a is the intended version, but in case landing sequence degrades performance v2.65b has been included.

WARNING: There are some issues with the latest A2OA beta patches after build 100697, suggest rolling back if you are using a higher version until BI can solve the issues caused, recommended beta available here - ftp://downloads.bistudio.com/arma2.com/update/beta/ARMA2_OA_Build_100697.zip

Edited by PacUK

Woh great news!, I've been out of the limelight on I44 as I'm working on my own projects for COWarMod, but you guys have been really workign hard!

I applaud you guys for your efforts on the mod!

i44moddb3.jpg

17495.png

Invasion 1944 v2.65 Released!

V2.65 Changelog-

- [2.65] NEW Ambulance units (I44_Car_G_Kfz1_GrayOpen_Medic_WH, I44_Car_B_WillysAB_Medic_Army, I44_Car_A_WillysMB_Medic_Army)
- [2.65] NEW Warfare salvage and supply trucks (I44_Truck_G_Kfz305_Warfare_Salvage_WH, I44_Truck_G_Kfz305_Warfare_Supply_WH, I44_Truck_A_GMC_CCKW_Warfare_Salvage_Army, I44_Truck_A_GMC_CCKW_Warfare_Supply_Army)
- [2.65] NEW Improved behind armor effects on low caliber rounds
- [2.65] NEW Sherman tanks cannon gyro-stabilizers

- [2.65] FIXED BMW75 Bike wheels
- [2.65] FIXED Zeroing options removed from AT weapons
- [2.65] FIXED Hetzer main cannon name
- [2.65] FIXED Infantry standing close/boarding tanks registering as a hit
- [2.65] FIXED Some issues with armor penetration system
- [2.65] FIXED Churchill tank disappearing at distance
- [2.65] FIXED Churchill and Cromwell not working correctly with penetration system
- [2.65] FIXED Missing/incorrect file reference for shell bouncing sound
- [2.65] FIXED Top mounted MG's on tanks could be fired while turned in on tanks that did not have interior controls
- [2.65] FIXED Tank cannon recoil
- [2.65] FIXED Hanomag with GrW34 not working with Artillery computer

MP Missions:

[uPDATED]
All Battlegrounds C&H updated to v2.65 with the following changes:
-TPW Suppression updated to latest release (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?143797-TPWCAS-TPWC-AI-Suppression-System)
-Squad leader teleport available from main base flag
-Armored vehicle side crew checks (can no longer drive enemy armor)
-Rebalanced vehicle selection
-Diary updated with accurate information and tips on gameplay

NOTE: Two versions of the 100 player C&H Omaha Invasion mission included, v2.65a with landing sequence, and v2.65b with Rangers starting on the beach. Version 2.65a is the intended version, but in case landing sequence degrades performance v2.65b has been included.

WARNING: There are some issues with the latest A2OA beta patches after build 100697, suggest rolling back if you are using a higher version until BI can solve the issues caused, recommended beta available here - ftp://downloads.bistudio.com/arma2.com/update/beta/ARMA2_OA_Build_100697.zip

-Download and Installation-

Click the button below for instructions on how to download and install Invasion 1944 using Play withSix:

forumsignsml.png

Archive versions available soon on Armaholic and ModDB.

But what does that have to do with the price of fish? Science is just evidence based knowledge, that applies to everyone - it's not some private cult that applies only to elderly wild-haired men in white lab coats.

Can't deny the physics obviously, you just have to but all the factors into context. A direct hit by a Free Flight rocket from a high speed fighter is unlikely but the secondary and tertiary physical, psychological and logistic effects are undeniable. You don't have to destroy a tank to put it out of action...that was my point. Price of Fish is extortionate ! :D

Those of you after the 7z Archive version it should now be available on Armaholic thanks Foxhound!

So glad I fixed that BMW bike... now I just need to make a Hilts model and find some sweet jumps to take it off to practice that leap over the border to Switzerland!