SFG

Invasion 1944 v2.6 (CO)

Sounds a bit odd, the largest explosion only happens in very rare cases I believe when the ammo/fuel is hit in a worse case scenario so you should only really see that with larger guns versus smaller tanks.

2.64 seems to be going well so far, got a chance to see the larger 50v50 actually in action and despite my international connection lag adding to the already pretty bad lag, it was fecking awesome! Thanks to everyone that played. I'll be making an effort to tweak both of the 100 player missions over the next couple of days to improve performance as much as possible so please do bear with it, its not something easily tested without players so the more we play it the better it will get!

Yea, i was there, to bad about omaha, but the other map was pretty decent, i managed to get some decent time in the tiger tank which was fun. :D

Thanks to the 82nd for hosting!

to bad about omaha

Yeah the amount of people joining the server with mis-matching mods and additional ones loaded, alongside everyone downloading the overly-stuffed mission was just too much. I'm gonna do my best to get this into a playable state, it will probably mean a bit more trimming than I'd like but I think it will be worth it after the early glimpse the other day which actually ran a lot better despite having more stuff going on, we did have a lot less players. Fingers crossed once its up and running a bit more stable we'll see it becoming a favourite!

The 75 and firefly's really are worth their weight in gold now when it comes to tank vs tank battles especially the heavier German ones. Just don't expect the regular armed Sherman to pack quite the same punch though ;)

The Sherman 75mm can score a side penetration on a tiger at suprising distances. (<600m). The higher velocity 76mm is deadly even on frontal shots once it gets out of "shatter gap" range.

Ok this is a nice joke.

New update out and is great, love it GOOD JOB Pac & Co!!

What do I see.... one server 82nd runing Chernarus island Dominantion. No keys are activated so any one can feel free to join and hack the server to stoneage if they want to and ruin the game.

My personal opinion is that it is disrespectfull to run Chernarus Domination. All this hard working free mod and endless of hours put into this great mod and alot of custom island just made for the mod, alot of custom mission made and even more missions now after the update.

I rather see no INV44 servers at all then a server runing Chernarus Domination. If you going to run a server please run it correct and at least turn on the check for correct key so get rid of hackers.

Why nobody runing a server with IN44 ISLAND and missions that comes with the mod?:annoy:

It's your right to dislike dominations on Chernarus but if you just have a look in MP missions downloaded with the mod, you can see there are ten I44 official missions made on Chernarus island, so i don't think it's disrespectfull to run a I44 Chernarus Domination if the Invasion44 team use it at first. Stop this annoying debate please...

(Now i can tell you i spent more than 700 hours of work to made them as beautiful as i could and to bring something free too for the community, although that not represents years of work it represents a lot )

Edited by Titi

Ugh can we please stop this discussion its back and forth and never goes anywhere. Both sides have valid points, yes we used Chernarus for missions when we only had the original Omaha, and yes you spent a long time converting Domination. The point Pedersen is trying to make is while 700 hours is a lot. So is a few years working everyday on nothing but this mod. So when mod makers put in that amount of work for it not to be used, it is pretty disrespectful of their work and highly discouraging as if no ones using the current content, why should they make more?

As I've said before its great that there is a version of domination for I44, its a popular gametype and is fantastic for filling out servers with its range of gameplay options in one mission. But with over 50 other MP missions included in the mod, and more than a handful of maps covering both summer and winter seasons, its a real shame to see that as the ONLY mission which seems to be the case for many.

I personally put in a solid month. from waking to sleeping of doing nothing but hand made hedgerows on Omaha v2 covering about half the map that previously went unused, and have still yet to see any missions other than the ones I produced use the areas even remotely despite the vastly different environment and have never seen it used in another mission, and have yet to see a server even run the missions that do publicly. Its not a rewarding experience to see the same map that's been available since A2's release knowing how much work went into our maps and missions and as a fellow mod-maker and especially as a map maker Pedersen can probably tell you the number of man hours that went into producing new maps, objects for them, and then missions around them, all unpaid, would probably be a shock to most.

This thread is continuing to go off-topic, can we please turn it back to feedback from that actual release which is still rather lacking rather than arguing about 3rd party missions mods and applications. This is the I44 thread, not the PwS feedback topic or Domination mission topic. So please can we get back to talking how fucking cool those tanks are now and the great work Animosity put in getting the system from an arcade game into a damn tank sim. Astounding work mate!

So please can we get back to talking how fucking cool those tanks are now and the great work Animosity put in getting the system from an arcade game into a damn tank sim. Astounding work mate!

I prefer this version of damages' system more realistic even the last one was funny with all theses particles ! Don't stay too close from one burning lol.

Edited by Titi

I do not know why but my Bolt Action Animation does not work anymore after I installed the last two Patch.

Hadn't noticed any problems, if its a custom mission you'll need to lay down the bolt action animations module. If its in existing missions is it all types of bolt action or just one specifically? Also are you sure you're loading CBA and in the correct order?

Heh and thanks guys ;)

Well speaking about tanks i will really appreciate some kind of chart with penetration/damage/performance/how you can know you've knocked out a tank. Well... an "all you have to know" document that can become the tanker bible :P

i know that in the internet you can find some charts but i would like something complete and adapted to what we can achieve with arma engine that is not the same as a reality

How do I make the AI shout random stuff? I don't mean the radio commands, but just the random stuff they shout on some of the videos. ACE had this kind of feature and I think that I44 has one too. I think it has something to do with DAC or something.

I think it has something to do with DAC or something.

Yeah its part of the DAC config used on some missions. There's also a script version for non DAC soldiers floating about in there too. Unpack a couple of missions and you should find the files you're looking for, and check the DAC readme for details on enabling the shouts!

Yes in CBA was the problem, thanks!

Glad its working!

Little something for the server ops, a trimmed down Battlegrounds 50v50 Omaha, it should be a lot less laggy, I've also included a version without the landing sequence if its still having problems. Would love to know how they run!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13891788/I44_C%26H_Battleground_100_v104a.I44_Omaha_v2.pbo - landing

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13891788/I44_C%26H_Battleground_100_v104b.I44_Omaha_v2.pbo - no landing

Edited by PacUK

Great effort with the update, there's always so many little things that make a difference.

Feedback on the armour penetration.

I sat 3 Empty tanks on the runway at utes. A Panzer IV, Panther, and Tiger E. Got a Cromwell to command and switched to gunner. Range about Half the runway. Took a few shots. Panzer 4, took 1 shot to the side. BOOM enormous Fireball. Panther took 6 or so shots spread around the hull and turret clear hits/flashes then BOOM enormous fireball. Tiger.......same same BOOM enormous fireball. Not very scientific I know but I had the Armour Module in the scenario. I will have another go today and make it a more rigorous test. Is there any other factor that needs to be set, like difficulty level ? .

Hoping to be constructive with criticism lads. Overall your MOD is. absolutely Magnificent and Im sure the silent majority are loving it, keep up the good work.

Thanks

Nick

I play single player and I am sure there are many of us who appreciate all the detail on the maps, there are lots of interesting areas for setting up anti tanks guns etc. Omaha V2 and Neuville are terrific for large scale battles using Hetman Commander. Really enjoying the 2.64 update, have only been able to play for an hour or so since release but the addition of the tank damage system is tremendous.

I personally put in a solid month. from waking to sleeping

You and Animosity did some serious work in a very short time! Well done mate.

Ok I think I know the problem with every tank exploding. If you just go into editor setup a scenario and play it, Tank effects seem missing. If however I saved it then loaded it the module seems to be working.

Had a quick Tank v Tank scrap in Neaville (what a brilliant map) and tracers ricocheting, tanks smoking, Is it a kill ??? Ammo cooking off and yes a BOOM but not every tank. Thank you guys this is the ONE thing the Arma series has been missing since OFP. Excellent, and thats me for the next few days then, see ya in Berlin :yay:

One thing !!!! this 6 updater nonsense, Ive never used it before so had to install it. Just a question, where has it installed I44, my folder in OA dosnt seem to have modified. Must admit Im not a fan of having an app manage how I install mods, infact I really dont like it (though I can see how it its a good thing for updates etc etc) Are we to get a download as per normal ?

Ok I think I know the problem with every tank exploding. If you just go into editor setup a scenario and play it, Tank effects seem missing. If however I saved it then loaded it the module seems to be working.

Yes you need to place the Armor Penetration module for it to have any effect, otherwise tanks will explode left and right from minimal damage. We are considering making the module activated by default so it doesn't have to be placed, however sometimes you may not want or need the extra scripts running so for now it will remain an "optional but suggested" module :)

One thing !!!! this 6 updater nonsense, Ive never used it before so had to install it. Just a question, where has it installed I44, my folder in OA dosnt seem to have modified.

Depends if you're using Six-Updater or Play withSix as they are two different applications that run on the same network. PwS being the more "user-friendly" one for inexperienced mod players. Consult their document and the settings and you should be able to see the default location but at a guess its the ArmA2 folder in your Documents folder.

I had a quick (1-hour) go at 50v50 C&H on Omaha last night and it was excellent fun (I finally made it up the beach!)

I discovered a light tank called the Greyhound but was disappointed when my AI gunner failed to engage anything.

Switching to manual fire I slew large numbers of krauts until we got Panzerfausted.

But by then we'd captured an objective and dozens of units began spawing.

So we grabbed an M3 and headed for the ultimate objective.

This time the AI did a sterling job on the 'ol Ma Deuce until some German scout car turned us into a colinder.

Overall a whale of a time

Regarding the AP module, I'd definitely have it auto-activate but I'd also suggest making it easy to disable.

I'm certain that mission makers are in a minority, i.e. most people who play I44 don't even know what a module is and therefore missing out on all this great work of yours

Heh some vital viewing for tanker crews right there :D

That vid just reminded me, Animosity added smoke rounds (with included viewblock for AI) to some tanks well worth remembering!

Edited by PacUK

I know all about the two part program that is being talked about, I watched it, and there is a fatal flaw in the programs that is repeated in these types of 'documentaries' that is served up time and time again. The very important issue to remember is that anecdotal evidence is not, and I repeat, not scientific evidence.

You cite one of the contributors mentioning that the designers of the Cromwell should have gone on trial for murder. But the documentary did not, for example, quote a Major from the 7th Armoured Div. who wrote a letter to a factory very close to where I live - which played a big part in the development of the Cromwell, telling the factory workers that he wished they could have seen the Cromwell's tearing through the Northern French and Belgian fields in their lightening 200 mile advance through to Brussels, Liege and Antwerp. The Cromwell's were able to advance quicker than the German's could retreat - and only had to halt when supply lines were over-extended. The same old negative cliche's get repeated in these pop-history programs over and over again - they very rarely mention the positive aspects of the western allied armor.

Cromwell's and Sherman's took part in the Berlin victory parade. King Tiger's, Jagdtiger's and Tiger's took part in no victory parades. The most oft repeated rebuttal to this usually is that the reason for this is the overwhelming allied superiority in air power, but this is a red herring. During the Mortain counter offensive by the Germans against the "Cobra" breakout from Normandy for example, British 2nd tactical airforce's help was requested by the American's to deal with the German offensive. British and Commonwealth pilots in 2nd Tactical claimed (anecdotaly) over 400 German tanks destroyed. Later inspection of the battlefield found the claims by the pilots to be over exaggerated by a factor of 97%. Air power was very good against soft skinned targets - not, upon closer inspection armor. Rockets and bombs very, very rarely scored direct hits on tanks. Soft skinned vehicles of course, don't require direct hits to knock them out - an adjacent hit will do the trick.

The strategic imperative for the western allies was for mobile, versatile, fuel economic, medium tanks that had better HE capability than AP capability, simply because statistically the gravest threat to allied tank crews were infantry manned anti tank guns and infantry with LAW weapons - not King Tiger's, Jagdtiger's and Tiger's - these were relatively very rarely encountered. Most armor encountered was usually Panthers 4 and 5 or SP guns that the 75mm M3 armed Cromwell's and Sherman's could defeat. The British did of course have the 17pdr to call on when needed, that could make an economic mockery of a Tiger or King Tiger. Eight of the very few King Tigers that for example took part in the Goodwood battle - two were brewed up by a Firefly almost as soon as they appeared on the battlefield, a third slipped into a bomb crater and could not climb out due to its own weight - and the rest fell back.

The western allies were up against constant ambush style warfare, where nothing in practical terms was going to protect tank crews from well concealed, well camouflaged and dug in 88mm's and 75mm's. The tank crews would have needed to have sat behind 250mm of hardened steel to be protected from such. It was never going to be practical or feasible to mass produce these types of vehicles. The best defense against the above was mobility and good HE capability - this is the fact of the matter - and, for some reason always gets left out of these programs. Fuel type is also a myth when it comes to "brewing up" stories, whether your tank engine relies on diesel or petrol is going to be very much a secondary concern to you when you have a tank full of yet-to-be-fired HE shells and their propellent exploding all around you. It's very unfortunate that this poor research gets regurgitated time and time again.

You make some interesting points but you need to keep in mind what the programmes were about. Not about Allied manufacturing strategy but about the experience of being an Allied tanker and part of an organization where there was a greater value placed on the individual's life, or at least that is what the individuals were led to believe at the time. Perhaps particularly those who had been part of Montgomery's desert campaigns. The tankers decided the Cromwell was a death trap as soon as they saw the angle of the armour. Given that by that point in the war they were no longer facing Panzer IIIs, who can blame them. Re the air power, yes the effectiveness against soft skinned targets is well known and is the main reason why the Germans 1) didn't have sufficient fuel for their tanks 2) struggled to transport their tanks in daylight.

ww2[/url]
excellent video - that's show exactly game developers never watch such videos :) 8000 mg round 100x75mm and smoke ammo :)

Couple updates on the 50v50 TvT's, trimmed the scripts and fixed a few more issues, hopefully armored vehicles should now be locked to the correct sides with no cheeky exploits to get inside (though heavy lag might still allow it). Again two versions of Omaha as I have not been able to test whether the landing sequence is too much yet.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13891788/I44_C%26H_Battleground_100_v104a.MCN_Neaville.pbo

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13891788/I44_C%26H_Battleground_100_v104c.I44_Omaha_v2.pbo - landing

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13891788/I44_C%26H_Battleground_100_v104d.I44_Omaha_v2.pbo - no landing