Sign in to follow this  
JuggernautOfWar

AI Driving? Forget About It!

Yeah Ive definitely noticed the change in the AI driving - I tend to do alot of AI convoys in BE warfare, and its just insane now.

One thing I noticed that has changed -

When BIS 'fixed' the driving before, you needed to be in ai-relaxed mode and they would follow the roads quite well, and with speed.

Now you need to be in danger mode for them to have any speed at all - and while they wont necessarily run on the roads (in danger mode they shouldnt, for the most part), they will go very fast, from what ive seen.

The driving was in fairly good shape at one point in the betas, but yeah - its more frustrating than its ever been now.

Another thing I hate is that when Im a passenger (I like to plan, and look at maps while in transit), the driver in that vehicle /has/ to be the front vehicle in the convoy. Thats just silly. I, as the leader, should not be on point. I get around this by designating (by color) a point team, usually HMMVs, and commanding them seperately from the main convoy (usually support) force.

But yeah - ive always wondered why its so difficult to make them drive on the road when you want them to - and then, of course theres the issue thats been going on for-ev-ar where you have to dismount them to make them turn the freakin engine off ! THats a huge pain when you have more than 2 or 3 vehicles, and it just doesnt seem like theres a good reason for it.

In my mind, if I tell my support drivers to stop (team yellow,usually), then should shut down the motors by default. Also, if they are stopped for a given period of time, they should turn off the motors.

THe AI in 1.6 is tremendously improved -- but the driving has gotten much worse.

You see differences in 1.60 probably due to the config changes:

https://dev-heaven.net/projects/cmb/repository/diff/configs/OA/unformatted/cfgAmmoMagWepVehCO.cpp?rev=61142721692d8071bdbccc41883448f125f55412&rev_to=1994c7492e9a941f81af766993e207cfe20bbb1c

with brakeDistance/steerAheadSimul/steerAheadPlan/predictTurnPlan for some vehciles (it looks like mostly APC and trucks).

steerAheadPlan = 0.75;
steerAheadSimul = 0.1;
predictTurnPlan = 0.1;
predictTurnSimul = 1.0;
brakeDistance = 10;
turnCoef = 3.5;

Using this on the Hmmwv has yielded good results. Even if they hit something they seem to be able to reverse and steer out of it. Testing these numbers with a single vehicle is pointless, you have to test using convoys, I usually use 4 vehicles. The first, second and third vehicle always take a different line going around a corner, and the fourth seems to copy the third. It seems that in order to get the cornering right, you have to compromise in having the vehicle hugging the inside of short bends in the road.

As an aside, BIS sure did themselves no favors in putting walls and buildings so close to most of the roads. Its also a wonder how they can spend time fixing some random crash errors when, in its officially patch form, the AI vehicles can't use roads due to a simple data error.

When testing convoys, try putting TWO convoys against eachother. One turning left into the junction, one leaving that same junction turning right. CARNAGE ENSUES !

There should be multiple courts martial of the soldiers based on their driving in this case.

Tested again with default technical group and move waypoint (safe) on roads of Takistan - AI leader was too far away (800-1000m) of his own group. No slowdown or speeding up noticed to keep this group together.

As for oncoming traffic (incl. convoys) it would be imho better if one convoy would stop + wait until the last vehicle of the other convoy has left the junction (dangerzone). Plus it would be great if AI vehicles could drive on roads without beeing intercepted + confused by random rabbits or other animals or civilians.

Not stoping for random rabbits and animals I agree,but with civvies or AI squadmates could be a problem if the vehicle ignores them.If you have mechanized infantry ops you don't want the IFV or APC to run over your allies.Although with the current behaviour they run them over anyway.:rolleyes:

Hi, on the ArmA2 i've seen many times how the AI drove over other friendly AIs or my own AI team mates, sometimes even my own AIs drove over me and the AI seem to ignore many times the alive units presence aswell some objects.

Drive for the AI must be very difficult as walking seems to be too; if you see the AI way of move... they don't seem to be able of locate distant points and find a direct human like way of get there, they walk some meters... then stop, move a few more meters and stop again, look arround for a while again... and move again. They need much better pathfinding humanlike instead their robotic and ignorat pathfinding; the straight line is the shorter way. Let's C ya

Is there any way to make ai drive while they are in a forest? It's so frustrating playing CTI or Warfare online when the light or heavy factory is in forest, AI refuses to move they keep saying "No can do" or "negative". I tried to set them in safe mode but it doesn't help.

Any tips?