Sign in to follow this  
advocatexxx

God

If YOU don't want to continue the debate then don't. Others, like myself are free to air their ideas and put forward their opinions. If you don't wish to participate why don't you stop posting?

I am all for dropping this. biggrin.gif Like I have said before, we as Christians have done our job telling you about Jesus.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Duke_of_Ray @ July 08 2002,17:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am all for dropping this. biggrin.gif Like I have said before, we as Christians have done our job telling you about Jesus.<span id='postcolor'>

I suppose you win then. We were trying to tell you we don't want to know. Jehova's Witnesses continually knocking on the door is invasion of privacy. People have the right to choose their belief. If I want to know I'll find you. Don't force your beliefs on someone they will only resent it.

It's funny what this thread has become. A few 10s of pages back, it was a very intelligent discussion on where everything came from. Now it's just Duke cramming his religion down people's throats and saying "I'm done so close the thread"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">We were trying to tell you we don't want to know<span id='postcolor'> That just shows how little you have to contribute to a theological debate.

If you dont want to know then why take part in a discussion about God?

"Where is the proof?" and "We don't want to know" are not worthwhile contributions.

If you want to discuss the nature of God, the aspects of religious belief or the relationship of science to religion then Im willing. But I don't need to be told my religion is "fake" or "violent" when I know better.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Paratrooper @ July 08 2002,19:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you want to discuss the nature of God, the aspects of religious belief or the relationship of science to religion then Im willing. But I don't need to be told my religion is "fake" or "violent" when I know better.<span id='postcolor'>

Christianity, and in a broader sense all faith based systems of belief are hardly 'fake'

But Christianity can certainly be described as 'violent' and anyone who says otherwise has their head firmly buried in the sand.

I will not deny that the new testament generally espouses an idea of peace and harmony.   Lets however tell that to the people of the middle east during the Crusades, or perhaps the victims of the Inquisition.  Or even the jews in Nazi Europe.

The thing is, the concept of peace and joy is one thing. The implementation is totally off though.  And that is a sad byproduct of human nature.  If you make a structure that allows greed and self serving natures to prosper, then they will.   In the Christian estimation, God is infallible.  The problem then becomes that man is not, and thus nothing that he constructs will be either.

As for all of you athiests in here, you need to accept that simple fact that those with faith generally believe what they are saying. They believe that you WILL go to hell if you dont listen.  And no matter how much you talk about proof and blindly following things, they will believe what they believe and you cant really change that.  What none of you seem to realize is that in spite of their stubborn refusal to debate you logically, they DO care about you. Otherwise they wouldnt bother trying to debate in their own limited way.  And they dont care because they get frequent converter miles for caring..they care because they truly believe in what they are saying.  And while I might not exactly agree with them, I will not deride them for their beliefs.

well 1st of all, many of u guys are condemning Christianity for the action of few men, so let me illuminate you once again: not all that call themself christians will go to heaven, as that its not the requirement. The requirement is to believe and accept Jesus as your personal saviour, so whatch it. U want an example of this? Hitler was a "christian" he was part of the arianism movement (they did believe in Jesus too). The bible could be interpreted in many ways and thats why there are so many movements, because ppl dont agree with different interpretations. If I was in war about to shoot some1, I would think what would Jesus do, and he'd probably drop the gun even if on the other side of the barrel there was Osama, but I dont if I would. If u guys wanna debate you have go to listen our side of the story too I think, so dont say that u dont want to hear as that is a childhood behaviour. Christianity is not about religion.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ale2999 @ July 08 2002,16:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Christianity is not about religion.<span id='postcolor'>

A timeless quote...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (residuum @ July 08 2002,23:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ale2999 @ July 08 2002,16:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Christianity is not about religion.<span id='postcolor'>

A timeless quote...<span id='postcolor'>

it shows how much u dont know, and how all ur thought comes from wrong preconcepts.....

Ale, dude, you are way off base here. Christianity is not about religion? LOL! Christianity is all about religion, because it IS a religion, and is the largest religion in the world, as a matter of fact.

I reiterate, you base the idea that Christianity is peaceful off the idea that if only all Christians would be nice and follow their own teachings, Christianity would be peaceful. But they dont. And Christianity is a violent religion, and the people who commit violence in the name of Jesus Christ are Christians, because generally they actually believe it. Theyre wrong. But theyre still Christians. And since nothing is better than the sum of its parts, Christianity is, in many of its teachings and in history itself, a violent religion, as is Judaism, as is Islam. So screw your head on right, and wake up.

Heh. I stumbled upon this neat site. Check out all those educational comics. I especially loved "In the beginning", "The deceived", "The letter", "Big daddy" and "Doom town".

And look at all that LOVE on the face of the people...  confused.gif

Whoa, I think I stepped into the wrong thread. USSoldier11B has no comment on religion, too messy of a topic.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ July 08 2002,17:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ale, dude, you are way off base here. Christianity is not about religion? LOL! Christianity is all about religion, because it IS a religion, and is the largest religion in the world, as a matter of fact.

I reiterate, you base the idea that Christianity is peaceful off the idea that if only all Christians would be nice and follow their own teachings, Christianity would be peaceful. But they dont. And Christianity is a violent religion, and the people who commit violence in the name of Jesus Christ are Christians, because generally they actually believe it. Theyre wrong. But theyre still Christians. And since nothing is better than the sum of its parts, Christianity is, in many of its teachings and in history itself, a violent religion, as is Judaism, as is Islam. So screw your head on right, and wake up.<span id='postcolor'>

lol.. There are like 150 million Christians in the U.S.  If Christianity was "violent", there'd be blood flowing in the streets.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ July 08 2002,23:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ale, dude, you are way off base here. Christianity is not about religion? LOL! Christianity is all about religion, because it IS a religion, and is the largest religion in the world, as a matter of fact.

I reiterate, you base the idea that Christianity is peaceful off the idea that if only all Christians would be nice and follow their own teachings, Christianity would be peaceful. But they dont. And Christianity is a violent religion, and the people who commit violence in the name of Jesus Christ are Christians, because generally they actually believe it. Theyre wrong. But theyre still Christians. And since nothing is better than the sum of its parts, Christianity is, in many of its teachings and in history itself, a violent religion, as is Judaism, as is Islam. So screw your head on right, and wake up.<span id='postcolor'>

If I said all Germans are evil because of what the Nazis did I'd be pelted and rightly so, equally you can't judge the millions of peace loving real Christians in this way.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ July 09 2002,18:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">lol.. There are like 150 million Christians in the U.S.  If Christianity was "violent", there'd be blood flowing in the streets. Please take your ignorance elsewhere.<span id='postcolor'>

Is that the best you have? How about the faith-based lynching of blacks in the past 120 years? The fire-bombing of abortion clinics? The fact is that, while the current carnation of Christianity is fairly peaceful, that doesnt cover the massive amount of bloodshed that has been caused by Christian on Christian violence in the past, not to mention violence against other religions. Now do you want to make any more insulting remarks without any sort of support?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Paratrooper @ July 09 2002,18:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ July 08 2002,23:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ale, dude, you are way off base here. Christianity is not about religion? LOL! Christianity is all about religion, because it IS a religion, and is the largest religion in the world, as a matter of fact.

If I said all Germans are evil because of what the Nazis did I'd be pelted and rightly so, equally you can't judge the millions of peace loving real Christians in this way.<span id='postcolor'>

Im not. Im merely judging the religion. If the Churchs own LEADERSHIP, which many Christians believe to be their link with the Trinity that is their God, will stand by silently while Nazis kill 6 million + people just so that they will be left alone, well, thats saying something. Once again, not judging the people, Im judging the religion. It is you who chooses to blur the line.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ July 09 2002,18:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ July 09 2002,18:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">lol.. There are like 150 million Christians in the U.S.  If Christianity was "violent", there'd be blood flowing in the streets. Please take your ignorance elsewhere.<span id='postcolor'>

Is that the best you have? How about the faith-based lynching of blacks in the past 120 years? The fire-bombing of abortion clinics? The fact is that, while the current carnation of Christianity is fairly peaceful, that doesnt cover the massive amount of bloodshed that has been caused by Christian on Christian violence in the past, not to mention violence against other religions. Now do you want to make any more insulting remarks without any sort of support?<span id='postcolor'>

The Atheist Fascist and Communist have done more harm to this world. 6 million in concentration camps, 25 million in the Gulag, 15 million in the Ukrainian terror famine, the second world war, I could go on.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How about the faith-based lynching of blacks<span id='postcolor'> The KKK represents Christianity as much as al-Queada represents Islam.

True, but since when did this explanation work? "Well, I did kill alot of people, but they killed a whole lot more!" Thats tantamount to, "Hey, look over there!"

Look, Im not ignorant of what Christianity is about. Hell, Ive gone to church for the past 10 years at least once a week. I know its all about love thy neighbor, and be a good person. But really, how come this sort of thing happens so much?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Oligo @ July 09 2002,08:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Heh. I stumbled upon this neat site. Check out all those educational comics. I especially loved "In the beginning", "The deceived", "The letter", "Big daddy" and "Doom town".

And look at all that LOVE on the face of the people...  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I read the one about (or against) evolution. First the pupil demand certain evidence to evolution and when he doesn't find them adequate, he starts fighting back with "facts" from the bible, like they did not need similar backup. LOL - it made me laugh real good biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But really, how come this sort of thing happens so much? <span id='postcolor'> Because wicked men are wicked, if religion is useful to them they use it, take Saddam Husain's 'conversion' to commited Islam during the Gulf war.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Paratrooper @ July 09 2002,12:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Atheist Fascist and Communist have done more harm to this world. 6 million in concentration camps, 25 million in the Gulag, 15 million in the Ukrainian terror famine, the second world war, I could go on.<span id='postcolor'>

However, they did not kill in the name of Atheism.  Unlike the Christian slaughters such as the Inquisition, Crusades, and ones by the IRA, and the KKK were.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Paratrooper @ July 09 2002,19:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But really, how come this sort of thing happens so much? <span id='postcolor'> Because wicked men are wicked, if religion is useful to them they use it, take Saddam Husain's 'conversion' to commited Islam during the Gulf war.<span id='postcolor'>

Some people do consciously use religion like Hussein did. However, some people who commit crimes in the name of God actually truly believe what they are doing is right. The fact that they can find justification in the Christian faith for these actions prove that Christianity is a generally peaceful faith with pretensions to the wild side when it comes to people with differing ideas. Now, Im not saying that Christianity is the only religion that is flawed in this way; almost all religions have had the same problem. But, since the religion was created by Man, it is subject to the same failings as man. There are parts of Christianity that appeal to the better parts of men. However, Christianity also has a mean streak that seems to attract the wrong element all too often. The idea that some of the people who commit violence in the name of God are manipulating the religion is reasonable; however, to say that all instances of this are people consciously manipulating the religion, well, thats just spin.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (residuum @ July 09 2002,19:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Paratrooper @ July 09 2002,12:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Atheist Fascist and Communist have done more harm to this world. 6 million in concentration camps, 25 million in the Gulag, 15 million in the Ukrainian terror famine, the second world war, I could go on.<span id='postcolor'>

However, they did not kill in the name of Atheism.  Unlike the Christian slaughters such as the Inquisition, Crusades, and ones by the IRA, and the KKK were.<span id='postcolor'>

They killed in the name of something, Just because its done in the name of God that does not make it a crime of the religion's.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Paratrooper @ July 09 2002,14:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (residuum @ July 09 2002,19:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Paratrooper @ July 09 2002,12:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Atheist Fascist and Communist have done more harm to this world. 6 million in concentration camps, 25 million in the Gulag, 15 million in the Ukrainian terror famine, the second world war, I could go on.<span id='postcolor'>

However, they did not kill in the name of Atheism.  Unlike the Christian slaughters such as the Inquisition, Crusades, and ones by the IRA, and the KKK were.<span id='postcolor'>

They killed in the name of something, Just because its done in the name of God that does not make it a crime of the religion's.<span id='postcolor'>

So what? That's not the argument here. The argument is they killed in the name of the religion. And/or truley believed what they were doing was right and justified by religion.

Just because communists were atheist, is irrelevent.