Sign in to follow this  
tommytoad2

General Impressions

I've been trying out the beta for a couple of hours and and these are (some of) my impressions so far:

When i started it for the first time it did not sense my eyefinity configuration, this has not been any problems with Arma 2. Changed the "TrippleHead"-setting in the config and the AR is correct. Went into the graphics options to try and optimize the game and what first struck me was that there was no option to disable post processing, the lowest setting is normal. Had to disable it in the config since i've never really liked the bloom effect.

The ground textures are kind of disappointing, i'm sure it would look better if i changed some settings (was running with everything on medium, except post processing) but it should really look a bit better even so. I mean, even if it's based on Seattle there shouldent be any reason for the ground to look way worse then Arma 2 on the same settings, right?

Onwards to the flying aspect of the game i can just say that it's really, really fun and rewarding. I'm not a helicopter pilot myself but i've done my fair share of simulations and this one is actually really good. Found it pretty hard and struggled somewhat with the controls when i first started but learnt gradually to control the helicopter. Not flying with a stick yet but i'm sure that will only make it even better.

The editor UI is changed quite a bit and it's better now. I think more people will understand it now even though i found it confusing. But i'm used to the "old" one, been playing around in the editors since OFP.

The sounds are good, nice stereo panning effects while in the cockpit and using freetrack/trackir. Could not find any way to switch the music player to off, had to use the settings menu and turn down music all the way there.

Some changes i would like to propose:

Would be nice if the terrain textures could be polished some way.

Add an option to move the mouse pointer while using freetrack/track-ir. (could not find any way to do this).

Make it possible to turn off the music player (if it isen't already doable and i've just missed it)

Just my 2 cents.

Could not find any way to switch the music player to off.

Thanks for your feedback. Just a quick note on this one: there are actions in your cockpit to change the musical genre or turn it off (the location depends on the helicopter, but on the light it's the MP3 player at the bottom of the center panel). Your choice is persistent, even after shutting down the game, so you should not have to keep turning it off.

the helicopter handling is better, i see you guys have tuned down the ground effect quite a bit which is good, but still not exactly perfect. It should feel more like it cushions the descent rather than bouncing you up and that it'd require less power to hover when you're within 1 blade span of the helicopter blades off the ground. there is still this over exagerated right rolling tendency in foward flight. also while collective is full down on the md500 there's still not enough descent rate.

500 collective needs help full down isnt much at all. And the helicopters tend to roll hard right in forward flight.

Man we got us a Heli sim!!

Yeah yeah, I also admit my jaw did not hit the ground when the I first saw the graphics but A, the game installed,B, the game loaded and C, the game ran!!! Thats a dam good start if you ask me.

I ve been simming since Microprose F-19 on a 3 thousand dollar Tandy running at a unheard of 20 mhz. Yeah i said 20. Got my pp rating on my 18th bday and followed by multi,Comm and later helis. Flew until about 8 yrs ago when I was injured. Now that I have introduced myself,1st post and all....

Looks and feels good for a beta. Looking forward to a good perfromance thread. On my older I7 runs smooth except hovering amongst buildings. Lots of sliders to tweak. Agree to all the above on the fm. I am assuming there wil be a menu where you can check which realism features you want. Also a option to intensfy or weaken the effects ala stall buffet like some FSX paywares. That should keep the realism junkies happy while overdone for a training tool. Ok, Nuff said for 1st post time to play with the graphics and tell myself I do not need a 3 gig card.

One thing that immediately stuck out to me- making almost any change in the video options menu causes the scene to instantly reload. I'm used to this behaviour from Arma2 but, since it feels like the load times are significantly longer with TOH, it would be nice to be able to adjust multiple settings before applying the changes. Less time consuming.

I've been trying out the beta for a couple of hours and and these are (some of) my impressions so far (...)

there was no option to disable post processing, the lowest setting is normal. Had to disable it in the config since i've never really liked the bloom effect.

Just my 2 cents.

How did You disable post processing? Which cfg entry should be altered?

Thanks, SamB

Strange, I can diasble post-processing in the video settings menu.

Strange, I can diasble post-processing in the video settings menu.

Same here. Works just fine.

I can't disable it, only put it on medium, high or super high (something like that). The setting is in the TakeOnH.cfg under Documents -> Take On Helicopters. It's called "postFX", set it to 0.

I have downloaded the beta an hour ago at work, installed it on my work computer which doesn't have a nice graphic card but it's still ok on my computer. I'm sure I'll have better result at home and I am satified with this. Besides the awesome graphic quality of this game, I'm disapointed on ground texture.(roads, texture of the stadiums(you just land on a picture, it's ike flting over google maps)

I was expecting a kind of real life (may be like in GTA) people around and cars actually. Why did you put some cars that go thru me while I'm on foot? They are fake. (I hope this is for the beta only, pls say so)

All menus, and gameplay is exactly the same with Arma. Nothing really changed of it and even all military commander menus are there with no change) It's good and comman for Arma players but it made me think that, there is nothing new apart from the graphic engine(which is Arma 3's), and a huge map only. Flight dynamics of helicopters and the huge map would be in Arma 3 too. I feel like I've paid for a map expension of Arma 3 Beta.

This game could be a superb mod with helicopter piloting in detail,with playing as a civilian pilot. I would prefer to buy this as an addon(a cheaper version of Arma 3, after it has been released.

I'm afraid this project is for only financing Arma3, so I say, this shouldn't be a stand alone game. This will be something I throw away when Arma 3 comes. I hope it's career mode would change my mind. Also I rely on the moders who can create unique mods on this game, especially a RPG online game that pilots will continue their business online. (As I hate racing with helicopters)

Edited by tem

I can't disable it, only put it on medium, high or super high (something like that). The setting is in the TakeOnH.cfg under Documents -> Take On Helicopters. It's called "postFX", set it to 0.

I see, you are talking about HDR, not post processing :)

I was expecting a kind of real life (may be like in GTA) people around and cars actually. Why did you put some cars that go thru me while I'm on foot? They are fake. (I hope this is for the beta only, pls say so)

With massive maps like this it's virtually impossible to make city life like GTA etc. I agree that it needs to be tweaked. But it has been stated by a Dev that it's a known issue that cars disappear etc. But expecting a detailed world like arma 2 is just madness. It's pretty obvious there has to be a balance between map size/object detail and performance.

All menus, and gameplay is exactly the same with Arma. Nothing really changed of it and even all military commander menus are there with no change) It's good and comman for Arma players but it made me think that, there is nothing new apart from the graphic engine(which is Arma 3's), and a huge map only. Flight dynamics of helicopters and the huge map would be in Arma 3 too. I feel like I've paid for a map expension of Arma 3 Beta.

Uhm, wot? First off this engine is optimized for very large maps with less detail on the ground. Shouldn't compare this to arma 3. Secondly, who said these maps will come to arma 3? I'm 99% sure they won't come to arma 3 because arma 3 is about 10 times more detail on the ground. And finally, how can you consider this an expansion for arma 3? It's a civil helicopter game, with massive maps (compared to the arma series), a whole different SP career, new engine stuff like volumetric clouds, wind, turbulence etc. Only because you still see some general things that arma 2 also has (because it's based on the same engine type: virtual reality) doesn't mean it's not a different game. :rolleyes:

Only flight physics will make it into ArmA3, not the detailed cockpits and interactive hulls.

On the other hand I hope maps will make it into ArmA3 as well eventually, certainly would love to play Commanche recon missions, hiding behind skyscrapers as I approach the objective.

Overall I love the general game concept(missions)and with a mission editor and Mod support it has potential to be one of the greatest helicopter(flight) sims out there if not the best. Few issues need to be addressed(in that order):

1. Flight physics - Heli feels very, very light. Very loose controls, unrealistically unstable.

2. Terrain - poor, I know it's acceptable in flight sim but it's 2012 :) not 1990

3. Blurry vision on head movement - feels like a drunk when looking around

4. FPS - room for improvement

On the positive side:

1. Excellent game concept and great support for the community(that is why I ordered it)

2. Beautiful helicopter models - inside & out.

3. Water, office buildings look great!

4. Great voice(on comms) & overall sound

I know some are complaining about this game being an extension of ARMA-2, it sure feels like it. I think it's a great idea since it will bring helicopter simulation to the battlefield, making ARMA-3 helicopter flight very challenging and enjoyable.

Keep up the good work, I understand this is only the BETA, I look forward to logging many hours on TOH and ARMA-3.