Sign in to follow this  
nettrucker

[Camp-SP] ArmA CO - Hammer of Thor

Hi folgore_airborne

I noticed myself that the tasks sometimes are not marked even they've been accomplished. I controled several times the tasks but I couldn't detect anything wrong.

I will check the tasks of every mission once again to understand what is wrong. For the time being and for being honest I have no clue why tasks are not marked as accomplished.

The disembark issue is very evident in mission 13 "The last obstacle", but it happens sometimes in other missions too. Will check on this issue. I'm sometimes having still probs with corrupt waypoints which is quite bad since your not in command and when the AI leader doesn't move it screws the flow of the mission. haven't found a solution for that one either so far.

I didn't add a weapon selection due the fact that you're not in command so it was on purpose my decision. In any case I will add some weapon crates in the night missions to overcome this little obstacle.:)

I've taken a small break from editing now, but I will work on Hammer of Thor to further improve some issues shortly.

thanks for having played the campaign and for your feedback. :D

You're welcome, I still have to finish it and I'm really enjoying it! I prefer this type of campaigns over covert\special operations..

Well, the tasks are not a big problem actually, since the mission can be accomplished and finished anyway...it's more an "aesthetic" problem! :D As for the AI messing itself up...well, the A2 engine still has its limits we have to deal with, I guess.

By playing further, I have two more suggestions:

-the problem with the scoped M240 can be easily solved, without putting crates, by replacing it with a scoped M249 SAW for day-time missions, and with a TWS or non-optics M249 SAW for night-time missions.

-AI Strykers tend to roll over friendlies at the beginning of many missions. If the order to mount is given immediately after the start, then it would be good to start the mission with infantry already aboard, this would spare some useful friendly lives..:D

Duely noted. I'll try to change the friendly casualties caused by the Strykers in the next version. Just need some time to do that. I'll gonna change the M240 issue for the night time missions too.

Thanks for the advice.

ciao

Thanks for your feedback. Tried today for the first time Hammer ... with patch 1.60. Needs still alot of testing. I'm barely at the first mission but I'll keep testing and try to figure out to get rid of these small annoying flaws.

Duely noted. I'll try to change the friendly casualties caused by the Strykers in the next version. Just need some time to do that. I'll gonna change the M240 issue for the night time missions too.

Thanks for the advice.

ciao

Hi Nettrucker

First, thanks for all your hard work on this campaign, which I am finding great fun :)

On Stryker casualties - I noticed in a couple of missions that squads were ordered into APCs on the opposite wings of the formation, I suspect that when they all disembark, they run back to there original positions &hence tend to get squished. Starting with the groups loaded is a good idea, but even than squads should't have to run across the formation after disembarking (also makes them better targets for enemy fire, maybe).

You could also order the Strykers to pause for a short time before moving off - give the grunts time to get out of the way (squishing seems to be a generally worse issue with 1.60, though I haven't done systematic tests).

BR

Orcinus

Hi Orcinus

Thanks for playing the campaign and giving feedback. I'm glad that you having fun playing it, which means for me that all the effort I've put in to create "Hammer of Thor" wasn't for nothing. I intended it to be more a fun campaign rather than a realistic one for being honest.

Unfortunately I'm momentarily blocked by RL issues. Tomorrow my buddies and me start to record our new CD which means that until we haven't finished I'm unable to improve the campaign further. But it has also a good side because we will record also a custom soundtrack for "HOT" (Hammer of Thor) since we already booked the studio, we take the chance to accomplish also that. I'm pretty much convinced that we can create an awesome soundtrack for HOT.

In any case I thank you very much for your input and advice.

cheers:)

Custom soundtrack for your campaign made by your band that sound interesting, good idea. :) I will wait now for new update of HoT to listen new soundtrack and play the campaign-3rd time :)

Hi tom

I hope you're doing OK. Yeah that's the plan. Unfortunately I will start with the soundtrack after we have finished the CD which has priority for the time being. This will prevent me from further editing and improving the campaign for the next month I guess . . . maybe more I don't know. In any case I'll do everything possible to make the soundtrack which will be also a huge workload especially mixing the songs. So the next update will take some time and isn't soon to come.

BR :)

No problem, I can wait ;) i know you will need probably a lot of time to finish this.

Unfortunately I'm momentarily blocked by RL issues. Tomorrow my buddies and me start to record our new CD which means that until we haven't finished I'm unable to improve the campaign further. But it has also a good side because we will record also a custom soundtrack for "HOT" (Hammer of Thor) since we already booked the studio, we take the chance to accomplish also that. I'm pretty much convinced that we can create an awesome soundtrack for HOT.

In any case I thank you very much for your input and advice.

cheers:)

NP; I'm subscribed to this thread & will wait patiently for updates.

You're welcome to the feedback. Designers devote many hours of thought & coding to a project - whether a campaign, an island, addons / mods, or 'just' a short mission, - and IMHO feedback & thanks is one way players who benefit from it can reward the creator.

Have fun in the studio today :)

BR

Orcinus

NP; I'm subscribed to this thread & will wait patiently for updates.

You're welcome to the feedback. Designers devote many hours of thought & coding to a project - whether a campaign, an island, addons / mods, or 'just' a short mission, - and IMHO feedback & thanks is one way players who benefit from it can reward the creator.

Have fun in the studio today :)

BR

Orcinus

Thanks Orcinus

feedback is not always a granted thing, therefore I appreciate it even more if someone takes his time and drops a comment.

Yeah I'm already excited. Recordind music is something I really enjoy. Creating songs and mission editing have certain things in common and it's nice to see it shape until it reaches the final stage. I'm well prepared because we always do a lot of pre recording in form of demos. So once you enter the studio everyone knows what to do, so the actual recording session will be short. Time is really money in this case. LOL

Sorry I'm going a bit offtopic due to my enthusiasm.:)

Moreover I'm also excited because we will record the songs for the future soundtrack of the campaign. We wrote some really cool stuff. :bounce3:

I gotta prepare myself now.

stay tuned.:)

One of the things I'd like to see in the next version most is less size of it. After doing some research I found that ambient radio effects files seizes awfully big amount of MBs and that's why campaign reaches ~250 MB line. You could convert those ambient sounds with Format Factory or something else to get their size much smaller than now. Removing or cutting off some parts of ambient sounds and additionally repeating them in the mission throughout a script should be considered, too. [iMO, the latter suggestion is a better one to keep your campaign size acceptable. It might be that you lose potential players by forcing them to download a 0.25 GB file (I didn't make any research, it's just a guess, though).]

Hi Inlesco

yes you are are right I need to revisit that issue. I agree with you that this is something I need to optimize. Thanks for pointing out. :)

cheers

@Inlesco

today downloading campaign that have size~250mb its not a big problem imo, and you dont have to download any addons for this one :). I have on my hdd few campaigns that need ~1-2GB of mods and addons and downloading them is no problem too for me :).

Ps: and nobody force you to download big campaigns ;), there are many without custom sounds/music, in this case campaign size 1~20Mb.

Hi tom

well He gotta a valid point though. Especially considering the fact that I want to implement a custom soundtrack the filesize is going to be huge. I'm pretty much sure that I can come up with something to reduce the filesizes of the ambiance sounds. And reduce it to acceptable levels.:)

Yeah i understand his point too (i cut all music from my campaigns before i released them on armaholic). But if we want campaigns with custom music/sounds (i like custom music in campaigns :) ) or with voice acting we have live with that, campaign file must be big in this case.

Ps: 60 sec of music in ogg format ~>1Mb. So probably you will have to cut many sounds if you want to reduce file size :(.

The repeating music files in different missions shouldnt matter while downloading the campaign since the 7z (and probably other packing programs) pack those to take only the size of one music file. The same for other repeating identical files. Anyway 250mb isnt much, I would be ready to download multiple GB´s if the mission/campaign is good. :) And I´ve been enjoying this campaign much, very orginal missions and story-telling. Only wish to have more time to play, but cant keep myself away from the editor for long. :D

The repeating music files in different missions shouldnt matter while downloading the campaign since the 7z (and probably other packing programs) pack those to take only the size of one music file. The same for other repeating identical files. Anyway 250mb isnt much, I would be ready to download multiple GB´s if the mission/campaign is good. :) And I´ve been enjoying this campaign much, very orginal missions and story-telling. Only wish to have more time to play, but cant keep myself away from the editor for long. :D

Hi SaOk

thanks in any case for all the advice, testing and feedback so far. I updated the first 3 missions to version 1.2 the others are WIP. The new versions have some redesign which improves the mission flow. Reworked some cinematics too. :)

Or make 2 versions, with and without music/custom sounds.

That would not be a good option. :eek:

Edited by nettrucker

These are great news dude! :)

Progress is slow though needs a lot of redesign backed on the feedback I recieved. Yours included. :)

Edited by nettrucker

That would not be a good option. :eek:

Agree on that, personally I can't imagine someone can get scared seeing 250MB file nowadays, even with my cheap ass conection it would be downloaded in like 30-40min.

Also I noticed in nightfight cutscene danger-close artillery fire is killing American troopers more effectively than Takistani soldiers. Is this intentional, or it got weird on my playthrough :D?

That might be due to weird playthrough I guess, but I'll check on that for safety reasons. Better safe than sorry. LOL :D