Sign in to follow this  
colosseum

A2OA: Lee-Enfield No.4 the best weapon available?

7.62x39mm Russian != 7.62x51mm NATO (or heaven forbid .303 British(7.7x56mmR))

-k

The 7.62x39 round is inherently less powerful than the 7.62 NATO or .303 round just because it is an intermediate cartridge, designed for a different purpose than the full-size rifle rounds.

The 7.62x39 M43 cartridge was designed for conscript armies to fire from their AK-47s on full-auto with bayonets fixed as they charged behind T-34 and T-55 tanks through the Fulda Gap...

.223, the grandfather of the 5.56x45 NATO, was and is commonly used as a varmint (rodent and other vermin) hunting cartrige. Puts things into perspective. Don't it.

-k

1.60 beta patches just fixed the glitch where 5.56 turned into Styrofoam out past 250m. The M16 is coming back in vogue.

1.60 beta patches just fixed the glitch where 5.56 turned into Styrofoam out past 250m. The M16 is coming back in vogue.
AK-107 in 3round burst mode all the way...less recoil same damage acurate out to 200m ;)

---------- Post added at 05:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 AM ----------

.223, the grandfather of the 5.56x45 NATO, was and is commonly used as a varmint (rodent and other vermin) hunting cartrige. Puts things into perspective. Don't it.

-k

In german hunting regulations the use of .223 on anything bigger than a roe deer is forbidden, not only inadvisable but forbidden.

Minimum for boars and deers here is 6,5x55.

The M16 was a replacement for the M1 Carbine not for the M14.

Albeit the power of 5,56x45 was increased over the decades it has reached a physical limit and the use in Iraq and A-stan has shown the limits to all NATO users...Even the notorious inflexible Bundeswehr took actions and reindroduced the G3 battle rifle there again due to firefights often happening beyond 300m.

In german hunting regulations the use of .223 on anything bigger than a roe deer is forbidden, not only inadvisable but forbidden.

Minimum for boars and deers here is 6,5x55.

A friend of mine killed a red deer with a .22LR

Buddy of mine goes hog hunting with a .22LR... in this case it's about shot placement, but hunting deer is a whole hell of a lot different than combat. Deer don't shoot back. A miss on a deer means it's just going to run away; a miss on an insurgent means he's going to run away and then come back later and kill you. I'd rather be able to hit the dude and kill him outright than wing him and piss him off.

The RH pistol pack mod has a .22LR Mk.II, try playing with that, it's good fun. On the topic of the Lee-Enfield though, I would like to see somebody make more varients, like ones with scopes, and ones where the wooden furniture doesn't go all of the way to the barrel. the jungle carbine version would be cool too. And of course one with FLIR, RIS, a UGL, suppressor and converted to full auto

I would like to see somebody make more varients, like ones with scopes, and ones where the wooden furniture doesn't go all of the way to the barrel.

I'd like the following:

No.1 Mk.III (classic SMLE)

No.4 Mk.IT (scoped No.4)

No.5 Jungle Carbine

L42A1 Enforcer

If you mount a UGL on an Enfield you should be forcibly sterilized.

I'd like the following:

No.1 Mk.III (classic SMLE)

No.4 Mk.IT (scoped No.4)

No.5 Jungle Carbine

L42A1 Enforcer

If you mount a UGL on an Enfield you should be forcibly sterilized.

No De Lisle carbine?

How can I forget that one?!

While you're at it, model this guy:

431_1113901903_2.jpg

How can I forget that one?!

While you're at it, model this guy:

what/who is that ?? a PMC??

SAS in Oman methinks.

-k

what/who is that ?? a PMC??

No, his equipment is too sensible. PMCs have velcro and coyote brown.

He's not tacticool enough for a PMC.

That is an awesome set of kit though!

i dont like pmc either they are stupid....

also why is he so old?? and why is his uniform so funny looking...just a pair of tights and a jacket or something, dosent it get cold in the dessert at night

That's a set of late-WWII pattern windproof camouflage, and his beard just makes him look old -- I bet that guy isn't over 35 years old. And he's SAS...

Kit as far as I can tell is an L42A1 with an M79 in the bergen.

That's a set of late-WWII pattern windproof camouflage, and his beard just makes him look old -- I bet that guy isn't over 35 years old. And he's SAS...

Kit as far as I can tell is an L42A1 with an M79 in the bergen.

no way he looks too weathered, hell his beard is even turning grey....i mean why is he in tights?? why is he still using ww2 stuff?? is he a lone operative? or part of a squad?? he looks more american (like a coyboy) than some british guy....i just usually think of soldiers as being more than just a pair of tights a windbreaker jacket, so this is unusual to me...

no way he looks too weathered, hell his beard is even turning grey....i mean why is he in tights?? why is he still using ww2 stuff?? is he a lone operative? or part of a squad?? he looks more american (like a coyboy) than some british guy....i just usually think of soldiers as being more than just a pair of tights a windbreaker jacket, so this is unusual to me...
I'm 38 and I have lots of grey stripes in my beard...and 38 is ot a unusual age for European special forces...we usually don't join any armed forces until we are 20. Most KSK members are in their 30's. To get the rank and training to be assigned any mision takes some time...and newcomers are few...so is replacement...and usually the more seasoned soldiers are wanted for spec ops, not trigger happy youngsters. Unusual and maybe outdated gear is also a way to gain more acceptance amongst the locals that is always needed to success in this kinf of mission (read treatise on partisan warfare, Johann Ewald, 1784) Looking like a high teck terminator wil not do any good in this assignment...the beard helps to gain some respect to locals...thats local tradition...real trusty men wear a beard there.

Our military pastor told us a story that at one point back in the 90's the Somalis, when they found out that hes the "Mullah" of the germans wanted to negotiate only with him instead of the camp commander...that's also local tradition and you better respect this if you wan's so succeed...otherwise you're just a even more alien foreigner.

Looking irregular can actually help a lot

Edited by Beagle

I'm 38 and I have lots of grey stripes in my beard...and 38 is ot a unusual age for European special forces...we usually don't join any armed forces until we are 20. Most KSK members are in their 30's. To get the rank and training to be assigned any mision takes some time...and newcomers are few...so is replacement...and usually the more seasoned soldiers are wanted for spec ops, not trigger happy youngsters. Unusual and maybe outdated gear is also a way to gain more acceptance amongst the locals that is always needed to success in this kinf of mission (read treatise on partisan warfare, Johann Ewald, 1784) Looking like a high teck terminator wil not do any good in this assignment...the beard helps to gain some respect to locals...thats local tradition...real trusty men wear a beard there.

Our military pastor told us a story that at one point back in the 90's the Somalis, when they found out that hes the "Mullah" of the germans wanted to negotiate only with him instead of the camp commander...that's also local tradition and you better respect this if you wan's so succeed...otherwise you're just a even more alien foreigner.

so hold on special forces people are usually older individuals?? how old are the oldest ones??

i dont like pmc either they are stupid....

also why is he so old?? and why is his uniform so funny looking...just a pair of tights and a jacket or something, dosent it get cold in the dessert at night

There are 2 reasons for that:

a) the photo is almost 40 years old (I believe its from the Dhofar Rebellion in the early 70s)

b) British troops, British special forces in particular, prize training before equipment. Certainly back then it wasn't unusual to see them using old arms & equipment. This was due to financial constraints and a healthy scepticism of new-fangled technology (that rifle originates from WW1!). More recently the British Army has decided to rerturn to service an APC that is almost 50 years old!

so hold on special forces people are usually older individuals?? how old are the oldest ones??

Yes because experience is superior to strength. As for age, it depends, the oldest front-line troopers are prolly early 40s but instructors might push that to late 40s, possibly early 50s?

Edited by domokun

There's nothing about WWII equipment that makes it intrinsically worse than MOLLE gear used today. It's all about personal preference.

American special forces primary purpose is to train and organize indigenous forces. In the arab world I think you are more of a respectable man if you have a beard, so they grow beards.

All completely to fit in, ‘hearts and minds’, be a part of their community, respect their customs, gain their trust, albeit you may be there with ulterior motives..

Special forces personnel tend not to go beyond 40 for active duty, but can go on for much longer in a training capacity. Fitness is always an issue, so is mental fitness, unfortunately the older we get the less fit in both departments we all become.

British SAS have been running operations like these for donkey’s years, all over the world...