Sign in to follow this  
SatchboogieUK

Wish: Military intelligence!!!

Hi everyone,

I just registered to the BIS forums to share an idea I had about making military intelligence play a bigger role in the game (Particularly in MP warfare!)

I'm a huge fan of the warfare mode in arma 2 and I was just thinking, how great would it be if they implemented a system into the next game where enemy soldiers who were cut off from their lines could be captured as POW'S and returned to your HQ to be interogated so you could gain intelligence about certain areas of the map, for example force strength in major enemy towns, strengths and weaknesses in enemy lines, defences, enemy HQ locations, ambush locations, AA site locations etc...

Any info recieved from POW's could create new side missions in the game mode to disable AA sites or artillery sites, it could also just make it easier to exploit weaknesses in your enemy's lines. I think it would add a whole new dimension to the game and it would make you think twice about just openning fire on anything that moves.

I also think that adding this system to the game would give so much more depth to the game mode, and would make you think more, for example it would be much more worth while to go hunting for ejected pilots from downed enemy planes or finding chopper crash sites to find any survivors which could be useful for helping you gain information which could make tactical decision making easier.

Finally it could add to the buildings that you can construct in the came such as - POW holding areas and intelligence tents.

Anyone agree, disagree or would like to expand on the idea?

(I'd just like to make it clear at this point that you making your character personally interogating/torturing enemy soldiers wouldnt come into the game, im not sick lol)

I'd love to hear any views or ideas you might have about this concept.

Cheers,

Jonny.

I think you could reasonably write a mod to do this, even in the present ArmA2/OA. It would require a bunch of scripting... basically, if you get an enemy soldier to a specific holding location then you get a random chance of some bit of intel being received that spawns a mission.

It would be a great way to learn how to script in ArmA to take that up as a project ;)

Honestly I suggest you take this idea over to the ArmA2 scripting forums and start discussions there because I think this would be doable in the present system, you don't need BIS to do it, just some motivated modder.

Isn't the dialogue interaction present in ArmA 2 already some sort of HUMINT acquisition?

There is information gathering in Domination (a bit more limited than I originally made it). Guess what. Nobody cares. Nobody (well, very very few) play these missions for sense of realism, only to shoot stuff and blow shit up and get a shitload of action to have fun.

There is information gathering in Domination (a bit more limited than I originally made it). Guess what. Nobody cares. Nobody (well, very very few) play these missions for sense of realism, only to shoot stuff and blow shit up and get a shitload of action to have fun.

I care. :p We gather lots of intel for MSO's.

I care :(

Depending on the difficulty the mission is set to, and what other changes since there's no two Domination servers that are 'exactly' alike, information gathering can matter between clearing that AO, or having several transport heli's burst into flames trying to get there.

plane with things like sniper pod that can be patched into by ground people would be nice... maybe have maps that update with spotted units in command centres etc... as long as its CCC compatible....

I'm talking about the intel you gather from "search body". Last original Dom I played that only came up on one of the MT objectives. I modified it so that there would always be a brass on MT, but in Dominatrix (Arma1 ACE, the original implementation) the chance of find was less, but hooked up to almost all squad leaders.

In current Dom, you'll be lucky to get 4-6 of these specific objectives, and typically when most targets are cleared the intel field on the mission status dialog will still read "no intel found" :)

Indeed, as a mission designer you have all kind of mission ideas but when it comes down to people playing them the majority only cares about is getting kills...

I'm talking about the intel you gather from "search body". Last original Dom I played that only came up on one of the MT objectives. I modified it so that there would always be a brass on MT, but in Dominatrix (Arma1 ACE, the original implementation) the chance of find was less, but hooked up to almost all squad leaders.

In current Dom, you'll be lucky to get 4-6 of these specific objectives, and typically when most targets are cleared the intel field on the mission status dialog will still read "no intel found" :)

Ah I see. Also half the time if you are in a server full of random people, they never think to search the body *be it the one time intel is found :mad: * and you have to spend the time getting info out of them on where it (body) is before the AO despawns all the units after clearing it.

I think he's talking about taking a surrendered enemy soldier to a prison facility to be water boarded and getting intelligence from it, which could show up as map notes or side missions.

Action Menu: Attach electrodes to testicles

Military Intelligence is kind of an oxymoron, but I know what you mean. Locals are the best source of information. Collecting, analyzing, and acting upon human intelligence is just one more task on a grunt's never-ending job description.

Military Intelligence is kind of an oxymoron, but I know what you mean. Locals are the best source of information. Collecting, analyzing, and acting upon human intelligence is just one more task on a grunt's never-ending job description.

We tried it for the MSO, unfortunately it only works with OA versions:- custom conversations and stuff, and we gave up on it. But it shows you it's possible.

If that 'surrender' script was shown a bit of love I'm sure we could get some cool stuff going. EPOW's are the BEST source of intelligence.

Remember guys, there's no longer we fight with mechanized troops, we fight with technology. Without intel, even the advanced soldiers are went blind in operation.

Remember guys, there's no longer we fight with mechanized troops, we fight with technology. Without intel, even the advanced soldiers are went blind in operation.

well, the whole technology thingy-thing is bullshit, if today we can't win a war against some goat herder called "terrorist" armed with lee enfield and AKs, i suppose the war in A3 is a 50/50, no one win, no one lost.

btw +1 for retrieving intel and other stuff from captive soldier and officer