Sign in to follow this  
-martin-

Windows 8

Access to the Win7 desktop happens via legacy apps.

rip_smiley.jpgWindows

rip_smiley.jpgWindows

Actually, it's Microsoft's

that will keep Windows going strong. I'm confident I'll be able to run OFP/CWA in at least the next few future versions of Windows.

I'm still sad Taviana won't make it to OFP. Oh, well. . . :D

Edited by Anguis

My bad, i'm still struggling with Word 2007 which is ridiculously complex on certain aspects (constant repaginating, etc.).

I thought it was just me that had that problem; It feels as if I'm learning Word from scratch.

I thought it was just me that had that problem; It feels as if I'm learning Word from scratch.

That's just the ribbon. I can't ever find what I'm looking for either. Supposedly it gets better, but I only use Word once a lifetime so so far it's just pissing me off.

I don't get what's so bad about the ribbon that it confuses people. I just switched from Openoffice/Libreoffice to Office 2010 and I'm finding it excellent.

Just forget about how things were with the last one. Everything seems to be where I would expect it to be under the appropriate ribbon tab, no more digging through lists. A major step forward in my opinion.

I don't get the Windows Phone 7 UI though. Looks like a step backwards to me. A few ugly big blocks for the homescreen with a chunk of wasted space. Then the apps are put into a basic list instead of icons. Don't like it, no way that will pull me away from Android.

phfbf0lau0oqysw42n0.jpg

Made in Paint and took me 10 minutes :smile: Are they kidding us?

I bet this Store button will make it into win 8

Technology advancement my ass... it's all just trends and marketing.

I swear every couple of years everyone tries to reinvent the wheel...

Hmm... I think it's more like EVERY year, everyone tries to reinvent the wheel -- but you know, every now and then somebody succeeds...

...and then some time later, Microsoft comes running up inferior imitation that they rushed rushed through development so they could get it to market asap... then they roll our their sleazy advertising campaigns to smear any/all competition (I never understood how they think it makes more sense to make crap, then spend less $$ promoting their product than they spend on BS ads that'll claim anything in order to convince/scare people into thinking that all the available alternatives are evil and expensive... why not spend the money and effort at the very beginning a make sure you release something that actually works & isn't riddled with security holes that you can never quite manage to stay ahead of? I guess it's because M$ has always been more of a marketing company than a software one.)

*SHRUG*

--Flakbait

Guys relax,seeing MS history this will be a flop.They always gets one right&one wrong.

Timeline: Win98-Win ME(broken crap)-Win XP-Win Vista(fubar)-Win 7-Win 8(smells like fail)

We should worry only in 2015 when they cease support for Win 7.

This 3 years OS crap they're pulling it's not gonna work,I've installed Win 7 in march 2010 and I'm not going to install another OS in 2012 just because M$ wants more cow milk.

To give them credit they really put up something nice when they want it.I was very satisfied with Win XP and now with Win 7.

This 3 years OS crap they're pulling it's not gonna work,I've installed Win 7 in march 2010 and I'm not going to install another OS in 2012 just because M$ wants more cow milk.

That's exactly what I think, just when you get used to the OS and set up everything the way you need a new OS comes out and they expect us to hurry and upgrade to it because of a new UI and a few extra features like integrated ISO support, that should have been in Windows 7 already, hell it should have been in Vista already, but I have apps to handle that so there is no need to get a new OS because of it.

Personally I think a brand new OS should come out every 5 - 6 years while proper service packs take care of adding features, like integrated ISO support. But Microsoft would only make 50% of dough like that so it will never happen, they rather release crap like Vista to rake in some money instead of finishing it off like Windows 7, which is essentially what Vista was meant to be.

Oh well :tounge2: We'll see how things turn out by 2015.

I guess it's because M$ has always been more of a marketing company than a software one.)

Well, Windows isn’t really that bad, so far... it does have its flaws but which OS doesn’t, I find Windows pretty easy to work with and get work done in so I can’t complain about that aspect of it. As for Windows 8, I can’t say how it will turn out.

Edited by -Martin-

I'm not so sure about this new concept but I think I will most likely stay with Windows 7

me to XP, till they will make soft with normal price available for me

I mysef use win 7 and are quite happy with it.

I was a happy user of XP and vista also before, cant say i have had any noticable problems with any of them.

Some of my friends, wich have had issues, usually was tinkering with their PC´s themselves without really knowing what they do, most of others i know did the same.

i guess it mostly comes down to user error, and the mentality

"readme´s instructions whats that..!? i know what im doing dammit" :D

I do hope you know that the interface they showed off is just that, an interface. The old interface is still there and this new one that they are showing is completely optional.

They are only showing off that interface because Microsoft believes that tablets will be the next big thing, which is why they have created a whole new interface just for them.

This interface you see isn't for desktops, it's for tablets or touch screens.

Hahahaha, that's actually pathetically funny!

M$ trying to follow Linux Ubuntu tracks , and in fact, even repeating the same error!

Ubuntu has gone this exact same way with it's latest May release (the horrible "Unity" mentioned in the first page of this thread), and even though it also is optionnal, it is messy, not designed for mouse&keyboard.... well, a failure.

When you design something for a tablet, it works on tablets. Not on a PC. The usages are not the same. OS makers (see Google OS, typical) are under the delusion that all PC users do is surfing. How wrong.

This coming from the Office makers is silly. They should know better how their products are used

I would like to stick to XP, but doesn't A3 require W7?

oh f*** :(

than... ... i cannot imagine paying such big money in crisis time for Bill Gates (in my country MS system cost more than in west , with our wages ... gonna get OS other way for A3, maybe there will be compatibility patch or what, legal MS is too expensive regarding prices of MS in my country and wage, they want 125 Euro for OEM Home, while average Pole gets 400 EU wage , for BOX PRO they want 250-270 EURO )

http://www.bazarek.pl/searchx.php/fraza,Windows+7+box

divide price by 4 to get EURO price , look at this prices and imagine that shop asistant or worker in work gets 1200-1600 PLN, not EU, to hand ... nice

damn... 8 will probably cost more than we earn in whole month

shame games are not for Linux, Bill Gates already is richest man in the world

Edited by vilas

@Vilas, maybe you could import Ultimate from the UK, ultimate has all languages s far as I know

@Vilas:

1. Windows7 OEM costs about 85 Euro in Poland (komputronik.pl)

2. With your modelling skills you should get paid much more than average polish salary otherwise you should change job

heh, you are young and none of company has to pay ZUS for you (public insurance )

i am not and from modelling (i am low skilled comparing to profesionals as Gnat, Eble, SoulAssasin) i will not get better job here ("etat, ZUS" ) but this is OT, remember about "ZUS" which now you don't need to care as you are student (ZUS is not payed and you can work for "zlecone" instead of "etat" ), OT anyway

vilas

1) Start demanding from manufacturers to provide drivers for linux for their hardware

2) Linux share market will grow

3) Game developers will produce games for linux

4) ????

5) PROFIT :)

Right now the installation of some linux distros is easier that windows' ones. The only problem is lack of drivers for every piece of hardware.

yes, and lack of games

i would pay for OS , when it would cost me as much "days of work" as to German or Brit or American

days of work, not dollars + vat + other taxes + wholesaler rent etc.

i could buy Windows 7 PRO BOX for 200 PLN (50EU) it would be "equal" price when it comes to "work hours"

i only wonder how much power consumption 8 will have ?

Vista is horrible when it comes to this

7 ? hmm i heard that it is not as bad as Vista

but all those "features" of Win 8, will they force buying new PC to hold System ?

i wonder if it will be "more efficient" or "heavier" because of "new graphic layout, semi-transparent 3d elements" etc.

games on Linux - would be good :) suddenly piracy would vanish in most cases

Ms should not focus on "new semi transparent 3 d menu features" but on "making it available for people who earn not as Germans or Americans or Brits but rest of world"

price divided by 5 and i'll buy it next day, cause now wages are divided by 5 or 6 or 10 in many world countries

Edited by vilas

More cloning people into the touch screen tech. They are overlaying the "Touch pad navigation" thing just to promote that even more. Yes you can "switch back" (to insinuate old) but the notion is this for the future.

Most will get it and flick it back and use mouse as normal, I wonder how many will run out and switch to touch screen, I dont think it will be a mass jump.

Just seems to be a touch screen/touch pad interface style promotion "powered by Windows 7".

IM still a happy user of XP, I have dual boot system with Vista (that came with my system at the time, not much choice) and haven't used it much at all, well to test things and realise FPS wasnt as good and stuck with XP. I will slog on with XP until its silly and then go Windows 7 (Silly IE not to my benefit and also no choice becuase no support / upgrade to new rig).. then I will milk that for how many years I did with XP.

I dont know why they just dont add on the box for windows 8 "As seen in Hollywood blockbuster Minority Report! .. Amaze your friends!" ...

"Hey honey, lets make another way to kick the same shit around a screen like before, but in a slightly different way!".
Edited by mrcash2009

Still using XP is of course everyone's own choice, but come on, the OS is over 10 years old!

OS isn't a Car or Washing machine :)

Windows 7 is the most excellent OS ever created by Microsoft, and has a lot of improvements over XP, and also Vista, ref security, performance and usability.

Personally I love and am more productive with Windows 7, mostly due to the new Taskbar.

Improved startup time is nice too, and the improved memory cache introduced with Vista helps too, even if you have SSD.

Improved power savings are nice too, but this is especially possible due to recent hardware (CPU, GPU and MB).

Windows 8 is probably gonna rock as well (although if we interpolate from happenings in the past (98->ME and XP->Vista), then it is probably doomed to fail (7 -> 8) :P),

but there's no need to upgrade right away if you aren't interested in the new features.

Nobody forces you to update. But at least IMO, after ~4-6 years it's about time to switch to new OS :) (Or at least, don't complain if you are unable to run all the latest and greatest - while sticking to an old OS).

Personally I jump on the new OS wagon as soon as early beta's arrive, but im a geek :P

Windows 7 OEM version can be bought for like 75 EUR, I think that is affordable regardless of your origins, considering you can even save for it for 4-5 years.

Perhaps the level of pirating that people are used to by now gives you the idea all software is/should be free, but I'd disagree :)

Games for Linux is a support disaster. For games there is no consumer PC-OS as well-suited and supported as Windows.

For one thing, Linux isn't a company or even an OS distribution on it's own, many flavours and other options seems to make it less ideal too.

Mac would be better than Linux for games; it's also unix based, and again there's a large company backing it with Support.

But TBH I feel it is a case of 'the grass is always greener at the neighbours'; If it wasn't Microsoft/Windows to bitch and moan about, it would be some other Company/OS :)

Edited by Sickboy