Sign in to follow this  
distractor2004

Digital Molicular Matter (DMM) support, vehicle simulation, mod community dependance

My two cents in everything I've seen of Arma 3 so far would be that the greatest strength of the series has been the availability of the powerful mission editor and dependence on the modding community to expand on any particular game.

I would like to see more features that allow mods to get along easier with each other on top of the features seen in Operation Arrowhead, such as being able micro manage what variables a particular mod can manipulate so that it plays better than other mods or allows the player to tailor their experience from a mix of mods without having to do too much additional editing/adding/removing themselves.

Another awesome feature would be the use of Digital Molecular Matter applied to buildings, vehicles, or even people. I've seen demos of it but have never seen it taken advantage of in many games, so a sandbox game like Arma with destructible simulation would be perfect for this type of technology. Check out youtube for demos of what I'm talking about.

A more specific feature that I would like to see, which I'm sure has come up before on other threads, is the simulation of vehicles with engine blocks, fuel lines, and armor, not just an overall total of hit points. For example, if a vehicle gets chopped up by an machine gun, it's tires should blow out, glass shatter, and if hit in the engine, loses power and eventually stops, but the same vehicle should not always turn into a burning wreck. If you shoot a million bullets at the tires, it shouldn't explode. Similar with tanks unless the magazine compartment is hit.

Thanks and can't wait till the release of Arma 3!

PS: It has been bittersweet to hear of a new Arma game coming out with all the development that has taken place with Arma 2 and OA already, any chance you could have the Arma 2 games updated with Arma 3 features, like Arma: ULTIMATE Operations or something? Thanks again! :)

Would be awesome I agree, but at this stage of development I think it's impracticle (regarding DMM) maybe next time or the time after that, who knows?:)

Digital Molicular Matter (DMM) support !

i dont want this in arma3.. well i do if you buy me a supercomputer i can run the game on.

rendering fully destructible buildings/Objects in real time requires a shitload of computing power. and at the scale arma has. its a nogo.

in a WF mission this would bring your pc down to a total halt. the pc to day just cant handle the amount of destruction in a epic fight in a town.

tanks shooting at stuff. arty hiting the town. so on.. not to talk about the network traffic. gosh. its just impossible for mp to have this.

afik. there will not be much changes to how buildings/objects are destroyed in arma3,

Edited by nuxil

Digital Molicular Matter (DMM) support !

i dont want this in arma3.. well i do if you buy me a supercomputer i can run the game on.

rendering fully destructible buildings/Objects in real time requires a shitload of computing power. and at the scale arma has. its a nogo.

in a WF mission this would bring your pc down to a total halt. the pc to day just cant handle the amount of destruction in a epic fight in a town.

tanks shooting at stuff. arty hiting the town. so on.. not to talk about the network traffic. gosh. its just impossible for mp to have this.

afik. there will not be much changes to how buildings/objects are destroyed in arma3,

I remember there was some sort of new destruction system in the hints i cant find it but its where the ball object goes threw the brick wall realisticly

BIS already said it did not hint towards new destruction physics in the Post ARG QnA.

The big problem is of course multiplay. DMM would not be viable in MP, unless it was severely limited.

IMO natch :)

I think our CPU power could be allocated to more appropriate areas ingame like the Artificial Intelligence.

I'm also with the others: DMM seems to be too heavy performancewise for games like the arma series.

But I agree, that the vehicle destruction system should be reworked (if it's not already the case).

I'm currently happy with the way buildings are destrcutable in Arma 2. i would prefer to see dynamic destruction for vehicle models... A chopper with their blades being torn off or destroyed rotor, a tank losing its turret its tracks blown on the ground and a tank crushing a UAZ would be much more satisfying.

ps: It has been bittersweet to hear of a new arma game coming out with all the development that has taken place with arma 2 and oa already, any chance you could have the arma 2 games updated with arma 3 features, like arma: Ultimate operations or something? Thanks again! :)

:391:

DMM sounds good, but if others say its resource crazy, I believe them. The current system for building destruction is good anyway.

Edited by ziiip

You know, a game engine isn't like some old beat up car that you just pimp out with everything and anything that's shiny, flashy, and cool. Too much of that stuff and we no longer have anything usable...

This is one of the threads that I feel should have ended before it even began.

Just because it is flashy and cool does not mean it does not increase realism. Destructible environments do add realism. I don't think I need to explain why :rolleyes:...

I would like to see more features that allow mods to get along easier with each other on top of the features seen in Operation Arrowhead, such as being able micro manage what variables a particular mod can manipulate so that it plays better than other mods or allows the player to tailor their experience from a mix of mods without having to do too much additional editing/adding/removing themselves.

This is all well and good, but how exactly do you propose to control this micro management? Or should the engine just be smart enough to know when 2 mods conflict and sort it out for you? :j: