Sign in to follow this  
Flock

CoD to replace VBS2 as military training tool?

http://www.news.com.au/world/libyan-opposition-turn-to-google-earth-call-of-duty-in-battle-against-gaddafi-forces/story-e6frfkyi-1226076431208

Many of the rebels cite the sophisticated computer war game Call of Duty as their first resource of tactical military knowledge.

A further innovation has been to pass locations by global positioning system (GPS) stored on Google Earth direct to NATO’s liaison cell in Benghazi, for use by NATO aircraft on strike missions.

Rebel leaders said that some of the tanks they identified were destroyed inside Misrata using the coordinates.

LOL ... yep I'm sure some new and cheap tool like that can replace near 10 years of product development.

But for the rebels I guess its better than nothing ...... ;)

Many of the rebels cite the sophisticated computer war game Call of Duty as their first resource of tactical military knowledge

Ah ha so thats why they havnt won yet.. I thought it was something else but silly me... :j:

Any FPS game can teach you basic firefight tactics. It doesn't make Call of Duty a valid training tool, but CoD is better than nothing.

Sophisticated...sophisticated...really?...I can't...I just..what? Also why is that the topic when the article discusses mostly google earth and with VBS2 mention, am you trying to start some shit?

Edited by NodUnit

I guess it can be used to practice some basic squad tactics, teach them how to move and stick together in firefights.

ArmA would be a better choice though...

Really I y hhad to LOL when I saw this topic. No wonder theaven`t won yet....

CoD trained combatants would excel at close quarter fighting, having excellent twitch reflex but would get confused and disoriented at moving outside of their designated zones thinking that the world ends beyond every block.

VBS2 trained fighters would be excellent marksmen from middle range out -able to spin on a dime and place that perfect shot 300m out. Their urban prowess would be lacking however as they really don't understand that people hide behind windows as well as upstairs and they occasionally get disinterested all together and orient towards the sea.

That may be putting too much emphasis on VBS2, sure they will be better trained for other scenerio's but if they do touch become familiar and train enough with the actual weapon then it won't count for squat, nothing can substitute the real thing.

Mighty interesting, not the COD thing, but the mortar fire sponsored by Google xD

From Google with love

Have those rebels from yesterday respawned yet?

I guess it can be used to practice some basic squad tactics, teach them how to move and stick together in firefights.

ArmA would be a better choice though...

For close quarters combat? I was thinking more along the lines of watching some Black Hawk Down, Die Hard or Rambo.

Have those rebels from yesterday respawned yet?

No they got kicked off the server for suspicious ping.

If i were Gaddafi i'd try to contact the server admin and ban all rebel players for cheating.

Or pointless camping. ("We're on the defender side, its for them to attack but they dont do anything!")

)rstrangelove;1960640']

or pointless camping. ("we're on the defender side' date=' its for them to attack but they dont do anything!")[/quote']

lol :D

)rStrangelove;1960640']If i were Gaddafi i'd try to contact the server admin and ban all rebel players for cheating.

Or pointless camping.

LOL .... that tickled my funnybone

Wtf, why COD? Out of all games. Its just a bunch of scripted scenarios with no weapon ballistic bullet drops and what not. Like sniping with an SMG from far away.... like that will do you any good? Plus a $60 price tag... why not one of the ARMA games from a lesser price. ARMA cost lesser and is much more reliable for stuff like that (ARMA + ACE mod) that'll work for them pretty well for their longer and marksman shooters. I'd probably go with the old school rainbow six for CQC environment but I assume they would go more long range?

If they can't afford VBS2, I would most likely recommend ARMA 2 + ACE Mod

OH WAIT A MINUTE!! VBS2 LITE!! Absolutely free! Why buy COD for $60 run n gun game that don't help at all or... why not just get the lite version of a real deal simulator for free?

Edited by Phantom Six

Wtf, why COD? Out of all games.

Something tells me they're not the most informed/educated bunch...

Wtf, why COD? Out of all games. Its just a bunch of scripted scenarios with no weapon ballistic bullet drops and what not.

They don't play computer games to practice shooting. They play them to practice movements and drills.

For that, COD is kinda useful. As long as they don't waste too much time on it.

Of course, not as useful as ArmA or VBS2 would be. Especially with those ridiculous maps.