Sign in to follow this  
bussinrounds

New Rainbow 6

All in all, they canceled meny things from previous R6 games, like customizing fire teams, planning before mission, etc. that I really liked but its far from fast paced FPS.

That is exactly what made R6 such a good game...planning the mission before hand

Now i am stuck with Frozen Synapse...

In Vegas 2 you even have hardcore mode or so that limits your view when taking cover so its nearly like 1st person cover system.

My point is that its not as bad as some of you make it apear to be.

I refused to buy vegas 2 after the vegas fiasco and its 3rd person cover system? Limits your view similar to first person view? oh come on, give it a damn break...

Edited by PuFu

In the context of progression from its previous titles, it was utter shite. But out of that context and marrying up with all other action based FPS .. then its debatable up to a point. Edited by mrcash2009

They were goin for dumbed down version for consoles of course but a lot good to it:

-very fluid movment and cover system

-good usage of controls

-besides GRAW, best reload animations ever in FPS (not counting mods for other games)

-interesting, well made story that makes for good coop

-funny terrorist conversations

-customizing your character and weapons like never before it

-shitload of weapons and gadgets available. Attaching silencer on the fly

-very good weapon, explosion sounds as well as decent voice acting

-a lot of challanges, badges, etc. to accomplish/achieve

All in all, they canceled meny things from previous R6 games, like customizing fire teams, planning before mission, etc. that I really liked but its far from fast paced FPS. In Vegas 2 you even have hardcore mode or so that limits your view when taking cover so its nearly like 1st person cover system.

In DR, nothing is well made.

I somewhat agree with you on this. I haven't played either Vegas game nor have I played DR but from what others tell me Vegas was better designed. That being said, Rainbow Six had already been ported to consoles once and it was amazing! I never played it on PC but the N64 version of Rainbow Six seems to me to be on par with the PC version except for probably more button options and modding capabilities.

ROFLMFAO, if anyone actually believes that they are going to make a game that even remotely resembles R6 (or any of the original games with mission planning etc), please take a look at the GR they are currently working on (which looks like it belongs in a Star Wars flick).

More lies in order to take your money. If you are planning on falling for this obvious deception, at least wait until it is released and reviewed before you part with your money.

I mean it seems to me that the gaming industry has convinced a great majority of it's clients that preordering something 6 months + in advance is perfectly acceptable. I don't preorder anything else that far in advance and nothing else that I do buy throughout my life has an iron clad policy of 'no refunds no matter what' conveniently attached to it.

If we want better games, there is only one way we will get them, and that's to stop paying for what amounts to deceptive marketing and shoddy products.

God I loved that map, spent hours there tweaking the plan until the AI get through without loss. Then join in myself and then when that was done it was time to test other things out. I loved using the heart beat monitor to shoot people through doors. Good times. Then I foolishly bought Vegas without looking into it first and that was that, bye bye Ubisoft.

As for this next iteration, I'll believe it when I see it but the 3rd person cover system is already a massive red cross on the 'Should I buy this game?' list.

I've tried to get both Ravenshield and Rogue Spear (never tried either) on my Win 7 64, but neither demo have ever worked. Tried compatibility mode -still no luck.

:(

If you have Win 7 Ultimate you could try downloading the "XP Mode" (which is a virtual PC with XP) and install the game on that..

Haven't tried that myself though so don't know if it helps, it might not use the main PC GPU.. :shrug:

Never completed Thief III and it doesn't work in Vista or Win 7 (ladders from all things don't work :D ) so I've been meaning to try that even though the game is kinda sucky.

And this reminded me of all the great old games like GR and Rogue Spear I have somewhere collecting dust.. :o

If we want better games, there is only one way we will get them, and that's to stop paying for what amounts to deceptive marketing and shoddy products.

Its the tricks of the "Deceptive market" that dupe unknowing younger generations into the knee jerk purchase on release day that fuel it, and a slow drip drip of dumbing down so the gameplay is the "norm" and everything else is just "old".

I've tried to get both Ravenshield and Rogue Spear (never tried either) on my Win 7 64, but neither demo have ever worked. Tried compatibility mode -still no luck.

:(

Haven't tried Rogue Spear recently but I play RavenShield regularly on Win 7 64. I don't recall having to do anything special to get it working tbh.

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 15:12 ----------

Its the tricks of the "Deceptive market" that dupe unknowing younger generations into the knee jerk purchase on release day that fuel it, and a slow drip drip of dumbing down so the gameplay is the "norm" and everything else is just "old".

Yep, so true and the reason that I refuse to buy anything until after it is released and I have seen positive user feedback.

^^^ Good call -Raven Shield does work. Must have been Rogue Spear that I was trying before.

As well as being an awesome game, it probably has some of the best sound design I've ever heard.

Pretty good for such an 'old' game.

What the...

-very fluid movment and cover system
Are You joking? In Vegas and stuff You move like a fly stuck in the oil. The famous and hated (at least by me) console FOV kills the immersion, scale and feeling that You really move, plus the units can't sprint and jog\walk uber-slowly. The whole "fast-paced action FPS" is bullshit at this point, it's a "not really here, and not quite there" thingy.
-good usage of controls
? Almost the same thing as in the old ones, except the cut on the things that were useless in this game (different go codes, etc). Raven Shield had marvellous issue-order menu and use of it.
-besides GRAW, best reload animations ever in FPS (not counting mods for other games)
Maybe because I know Firearms mod and know that "amateur" guys can do better then proffesionals I'm not amazed. Not to mention Raven Shield or SWAT4?
-interesting, well made story that makes for good coop
The story of Vegas 1 was a joke. 2nd one was boring at the start and I never get past the first mission, I preffered less dull and less corridorish terro hunt.
-funny terrorist conversations
...for a 12 year olds? Cmon man. It's Splinter Cell and FEAR that showed how enemies should act like.
-customizing your character and weapons like never before it
Yes, it was a great except, but many people made their characters look like a robocop with rainbow-pukish color scheme. And the faces looked really bad.
-shitload of weapons and gadgets available.
I guess You haven't played Raven Shield and\or Firearms?
-Attaching silencer on the fly
...and laser as well. Yes, it was a good thing. Except, in V2 they decided that with laser on your accuracy decreases ;)
-very good weapon, explosion sounds as well as decent voice acting
Weapon sounds weren't special, I can't tell about voice acting, I had a polish-dubbed version. But it was the most foul-mouthed enemies I ever met in any game.
-a lot of challanges, badges, etc. to accomplish/achieve
Not a bad thing, but if it's gotten more attention than ironing out the gameplay... oh come on.
I see Your point and I disagree. Many people joke I have some special feelings for shitty games, giving RR, DR and Vegas as examples. Why Vegas, apart from the things mentioned above (mostly facts, not just subjective stuff)?

- bad FPS and slowdowns on the good PC rig (dated end of 2009)

- after turning off HDR (to get decent FPS) the game became a druggie, Q3-looking-like nightmare

- shitcode instead of netcode (bad lags, especially when enemy was really close)

- example of a brutal, "corridor look" FOV

- spawning enemies on the fly, few times it's possible to see enemy placement by the game

- cover system didn't do quite well (often can't shoot the enemy bcz he's 1 cm to the right of the specified LOF)

- no custom maps

- the amount of ammo You got on "simulation" setting was a bad joke

- weak options menu (I had to tweak stuff through the .ini files - You can easily cheat)

- Raven Shield was 5 times faster and 5 times more fluid, more natural!

- You sometimes got "catched" by objects

- map, dialogues and story design was really tragic

- bad visual design, incl. menus + blurry

- bugs

- no widescreen support

- unability to customize HUD (afair)

- guns weren't very different

- dull and shallow gameplay

The only good thing in Vegas productions was the AI, ironically, best in the whole franchise.

In DR, nothing is well made.
Because the DR team has changed three times during the development process and many things (parts of the menus, etc) suggest it was supposed to be good, closer to real Flashpoint. But someone, somewhere, decided they should release it as-is, and see if ppl buy this shit. And they did, so "hey, let's do one more, just more like CoD and no custom content". Vegas can't get such an extenuation.

Few screenshots of my Vegas 1, made up so it's still at least a BIT playable (avarage fps 20 on the configuration that gets killed only by ArmA 2):

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/607/widescreenfail.jpg/ (standard game highest resolution if I recall, not CFG stuff)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/quakesky.jpg/ (visuals of the game, HDR off)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/9/thermalv.jpg/ (check this out, really amazing stuff - tweaked CFG yeah!)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/suprisedx.jpg/ (bug)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/684/wtfcar.jpg/ (bug)

Edited by JonPL

I don't really see (from the Kotaku article) how "going back to the roots" and "far more story-driven game than previous iterations" can go hand-in-hand. They are just trying to score some points with fans of the original games, and then screw them over again.

After all it's Ubisoft we are talking about. They are too big to even care about making a game that's *not* mainstream. And the old R6-games aren't mainstream.

My hopes for this game are alread six feet under.

So Ubisoft decides to dig up the corpse once more and rape it again.

Whatever you do, do not believe Ubitchsoft's lies. No matter what they say, it will never, ever return to the roots of the franchise.

Why? Because Ubitchsoft is a whore for money, as they have proven time and time again. They will lie to you, and their promises of a return to the R6 roots is only to fool hopefull old fans into buying their POS, knowing full-well their raging doesnt make a difference in the world once the moneybag is filled, and many players these days dont even know there was a Rainbow Six before freaking Vegas 1 and 2.

The day Ubitchsoft actually makes a proper Rainbow Six reboot i'll eat a fucking shit sandwhich.

The day Ubitchsoft actually makes a proper Rainbow Six reboot i'll eat a fucking shit sandwhich.

Your mouth and stomach are safe from that unsavoury meal I'll wager.

You should tell them that; maybe just to see you do it they'll make a decent one. Probably not, but I'd certainly be motivated by making someone eat a shit sandwich.

The problem i have with a new Rainbow6 is not that its possibly arcadish (compared to the old ones), but that the story is meh.

I love games that are believable. Things that matter to me are simply

- why am i here

- why me not somebody else, or a whole army

Therefore all stories that go about an international conspiracy / beginning of ww3 and me being the only guy left to safe the world is utter crap.

Why not just hunting terrorist that just want money, prisoners freed or want to blow up something to get attention to spread their propaganda? Why does it always have to be some UBERblown conspiracy, with traitors on your side, etc etc?

The missions in SWAT3 were all great because there were just a few guys in a building trying to shoot you, sometimes thats all you need.

I'd rather have 5 terrorists randomly hiding in a huge area than 50 guys constantly spraying bullets on me. It's just not believable.

true.

yet I'd love a true remake on Raven Shield or other modern engine.

My hopes aren't up about the new game being a return to the tactical roots of the series. Ghost Recon Future Soldier was described in Game Informer as being a return to the stealth tactics of the past entries in the series.

My hopes aren't up about the new game being a return to the tactical roots of the series. Ghost Recon Future Soldier was described in Game Informer as being a return to the stealth tactics of the past entries in the series.

All remaining faith in game journos has been forever lost...

Correction. I double checked and found that the description of Ghost Recon Future Soldier was actually made during Ubisoft's E3 2010 press conference and not by Game Informer. The fact that Ubisoft made these statements is even worse news. My humble apologies to GI for the mistake.