Sign in to follow this  
Choki

All the Bis game have Counter Strike sounds

And I want ArmA 3 to ship with every island in the Aegean and every weapon in the world. ArmA is a lot bigger than other games, and BIS is a lot smaller and poorer than other studios. There's a very good reason for the mediocre sounds. They cut corners on cosmetics in order to deliver on the core content. Modders can fix cosmetic problems, and our combined resources are actually greater than those of BIS. But if BIS chose to curtail the open world gameplay elements, player freedom or AI, there is jack-shit the modders could do about it.

I'm glad that they're focusing on the sound this time around, which is so important. But don't imagine that they skimped on this sort of thing in the past because they're lazy.

And I want ArmA 3 to ship with every island in the Aegean and every weapon in the world. ArmA is a lot bigger than other games, and BIS is a lot smaller and poorer than other studios. There's a very good reason for the mediocre sounds. They cut corners on cosmetics in order to deliver on the core content. Modders can fix cosmetic problems, and our combined resources are actually greater than those of BIS. But if BIS chose to curtail the open world gameplay elements, player freedom or AI, there is jack-shit the modders could do about it.

I'm glad that they're focusing on the sound this time around, which is so important. But don't imagine that they skimped on this sort of thing in the past because they're lazy.

Being a poorer company can't excuse them from giving us a good gaming experience without relying on US to improve their game. I am one of the disappointed people with sounds earlier, and if Chammy and others gave us acceptable sounds for free, there is no reason in A3 we don't get improved sounds.

I too believe in focusing on the core content, and BIS is wonderful in that, and that's why their games are the only ones I play and pay for (DLC). But we can't forget the new players, the ex-COD/BF players looking for something different that never heard of a mod, or even the magazines reviewing games, and it's in mostly in them that BIS must focus now (we are already converted hehe) and they can loose a big market if they skip the little details and deliver an half-assed game.

ArmA isn't a good gaming experience? BIS doesn't rely on modders for anything. Some users do, though.

deliver an half-assed game.
You know what's half-assed? OFP2:DR. There's a game where they made sure to polish every feature, at the cost of an anemic overall experience. That's what every other company does, including the poor ones. Shrinking, shrinking games. But they have nice sound (sometimes) to show for it. Style over substance is your choice to make.
if Chammy and others gave us acceptable sounds for free, there is no reason in A3 we don't get improved sounds.

Derp. That is all.

All whiners and 'know it how to do better' people should stop polluting the thread now, and DO something about it.

I must interject, I do hope the default sounds are better than ARMA and ARMA 2.

I must interject, I do hope the default sounds are better than ARMA and ARMA 2.

Agreed and AFAIK, some vanilla servers doesn't allow even custom sounds, perhaps for security reasons ( well they apparently think so)

Agreed and AFAIK, some vanilla servers doesn't allow even custom sounds, perhaps for security reasons ( well they apparently think so)

By default, enabling signature checks will disallow all mods, including sound mods. It's up to the mod makers to sign their addons and the server admins to add the appropriate server keys so that these addons can be used.

Thats is how I understood it but still, (most vanilla) admins don't allow any custom sounds, even JSRS, which I'm pretty sure is signed or can be signed easily with (server) custom signatures and yet, no joy.

By default, enabling signature checks will disallow all mods, including sound mods. It's up to the mod makers to sign their addons and the server admins to add the appropriate server keys so that these addons can be used.

That's why I was thinking that there should be a new way of dealing with mods. Mods should be categorized by what they are. So sound mods, customizable items addon, unit addon, weapon addon, etc. And servers should automatically allow sound mods at least. Anything that doesn't directly affect gameplay should be allowed in a server, IMO.

I think some dont for performance reasons, and also some may feel enhanced distant fire can give away positioning in PvP games than all vanilla, not that I dont agree soundmods that are balanced well enough shouldn't be used.

Lets face it, the same sound engine has been rinsed and repeated since CWC. Yes, it's seen improvement and some 'humanization' but it could really use an overhaul. I don't mind the way the AI sound when their communicating, a speech engine is a speech engine. But it would be nice to have the sounds made thicker, more heavy, and distinct to really induce the atmosphere ARMA can create.

Whatever, I'm a sucker for the series and will buying day one anyways. *sigh*

That's why I was thinking that there should be a new way of dealing with mods. Mods should be categorized by what they are. So sound mods, customizable items addon, unit addon, weapon addon, etc. And servers should automatically allow sound mods at least. Anything that doesn't directly affect gameplay should be allowed in a server, IMO.

What stops anyone from smuggling a cheat pack as a sound mod then?

Wouldn't it be possible for BIS to change the way sounds are defined/loaded? I mean changed in such a way that, for example, the weapons cfg didn't need to be adjusted - instead, let the engine detect a different file inside a PBO, for example an XML definition file (sounds.xml or whatever) that countains links to and properties of sound files that are also contained in the pbo.

I'm sure this should be possible, though it would of course require some changes to the way sounds are defined. Also, the engine would need to be able to tell when a PBO doesn't contain any config data, meaning it is "benign" (i.e. it cannot cause any kind of trouble). Such PBOs could theoretically be allowed any time, right?

Thats is how I understood it but still, (most vanilla) admins don't allow any custom sounds, even JSRS, which I'm pretty sure is signed or can be signed easily with (server) custom signatures and yet, no joy.

You can sign JSRS, but the mod is made up of dozens of .pbos, and is over a GB in size. I imagine it would be quite easy to sneak a cheat or hack into just one of those huge files.

I was thinking kinda like class configs. IDK. Not sure if that would work. I just know there's faction Cfgs, there's CfgVehicles, etc. Maybe it could only read the parts of mods that define sounds for vanilla content, and not pick up anything else. Not sure. Maybe there is no way to do this. Maybe it would be too much. Just throwing out an idea. I guess, in the end, there'd be no point for a sound mod period if ArmA3 sounds are better than those of ArmA2.

There will always be sound mods. Look at the difference between RWS, Chammy, JSRS and ACEX_SM to understand why.

the sound mod for arma 2 sucks...arma 2 stock sounds are unberable...not tollearable.

I mean...do you rememeber the sounds from battlefield 3 or bad company 2...now that is war.

BC2 had really good sounds for its time. But ArmA II was already half a year on the market when BC2 released. One must see the age of the core game! Wait for ArmA III. I guess it will be definately better when it comes to sound.

the sound mod for arma 2 sucks...arma 2 stock sounds are unberable...not tollearable.

I mean...do you rememeber the sounds from battlefield 3 or bad company 2...now that is war.

BF sounds system is good. The samples aren´t.

In A2 with mods is the other way around.

BF sounds system is good. The samples aren´t.

Isn't it the other way? The samples are top of the line, being very professionally recorded and mastered, but not so much the system that decides how they play. Because in BC2 you can get it to break just by firing rapid single shots instead of full automatic.

Isn't it the other way? The samples are top of the line, being very professionally recorded and mastered, but not so much the system that decides how they play. Because in BC2 you can get it to break just by firing rapid single shots instead of full automatic.

the one in BF3 is improved,vehicles have 80 channels so they sound different from different angles and distances

Alright, the samples may be good but they are lame. The weapons have no "impact" and don´t sound that good.

Alright, the samples may be good but they are lame. The weapons have no "impact" and don´t sound that good.

I must say that I'm impressed by the weapon sounds of Bad Company 2. Normal soft/hardware simply can't provide the full dynamic range of gunshots, but the mastering makes it sound almost real. I haven't extensively heard specific caliber discharges other than 7.62x39mm in real life, but that one at least sounds very close to some of the weapons in BC2. If by "impact" you mean loud volume in the higher frequencies, that is mostly captured only by microphones, not human ears, unless the weapon is suppressed or otherwise quieter.

The vanilla sound effects aren't the real problem, it's the lack of sound dynamics, such as reverberation, delay, phasing of multiple sounds that are the same, etc.

When I shoot a gun in a valley, I want to hear the echoes; When I shoot a gun at close quarters, I want to hear the increased reverb.

That would be a great feature.

There is a mod coming out called ASCE which does exactly that,

i agree though, if the modding community can do it for ARMA 2, it should be standard for ARMA 3.

The whole point of a simulator is to be as dynamically involved with it as possible, the more ambient and dynamic everything is, the more i enjoy it.

My main concern is that ARMA 3 is going too mainstream but we shall see when it comes out, my money is on ARMA 2 always being my favorite.

I must say that I'm impressed by the weapon sounds of Bad Company 2. Normal soft/hardware simply can't provide the full dynamic range of gunshots, but the mastering makes it sound almost real. I haven't extensively heard specific caliber discharges other than 7.62x39mm in real life, but that one at least sounds very close to some of the weapons in BC2. If by "impact" you mean loud volume in the higher frequencies, that is mostly captured only by microphones, not human ears, unless the weapon is suppressed or otherwise quieter.

Well, I couldn´t say I was impressed by it. But the game had so many problems with Realtek drivers that I really don´t know if I was hearing was supose to hear... Some things were really strange there.

Anyway, it doesn´t matter. Let's sit and wait to hear what A3 brings to the table.