Sign in to follow this  
DeclaredEvol

Ambient Civilians with jobs and waypoints?

It would be neat for there to be a improved ambient war and civilians module, the old ones just had a person standing or walking around. It would be interesting to see them automatically washing cars or standing behind a counter in a cafe. It would also be nice for them to be able to do different jobs by random way points. On the other hand, it would be neat for there to be a very organized ambient warfare module where there is military presence. And they may patrol areas for threats or go back to their base or fortress to sleep etc... people like dynamic ai. If everything is very dynamic and expandable or flexible then people may actually spend some extra bucks on this magnificent game :D

It will be much neater if the civilians don't simply lay down on the ground and commit suicides near edges.

some form of panic and running away would be nice, maybe occasionally cries of terror, say you would into a crowd of civies and start shooting, someone is going to panic and yell. The fact that they go prone and and just stare at you as if to say "What the hell is wrong with you?" makes things so awkward when I'm taking hostages...

Edited by NodUnit

To have lots of A.I. thinking that much would grind any machine to a halt and most likely cause it to catch fire and/or explode.

But seriously it is something that is far from needed and would use precious system resources.

I want to see men can actively avoid of coming cars and say "look out".

A simple run and hide indoors might do the "civilian AI has some intelligence" trick.. :)

some form of panic and running away would be nice, maybe occasionally cries of terror, say you would into a crowd of civies and start shooting, someone is going to panic and yell. The fact that they go prone and and just stare at you as if to say "What the hell is wrong with you?" makes things so awkward when I'm taking hostages...

true that. the current form of civvies panic mode doesn't really looks realistic, might be due to the facial expression. In RL, how many sane person lay on the ground, i would rather run the heck out of the danger zone.

Panic & seek cover modules?

Would be nice if the panic/psychological breakpoint could be influenced, like the skill level.

a morale bar perhaps? once exceeding that threshold ... scream and run like no tomorrow

I would like to see AI driver honk if something is in their way.

I would like to see AI driver honk if something is in their way.

And some civilians pull over or move if you honk at them. A convoy of Jackals with M2's staring at you would make you do so! :D

I think all posts stated should be on a random basis so it doesn't repeat, at least not at a predictable rate.

And some civilians pull over or move if you honk at them. A convoy of Jackals with M2's staring at you would make you do so! :D

I think all posts stated should be on a random basis so it doesn't repeat, at least not at a predictable rate.

A man standing behind the counter of a shop should be pretty predictable... :p

Anyway, i would like to see more traffic by default.

@Goos

Your statement may be right in relation to 2-3 years old systems. Furthermore we'll have a new engine with nowadays features support ^^ PLUS: Civilian could just be processed and pictured in players visual range. Of course this only counts for SP, implemented by a module placed in the mission editor for example.

Would do great to the overall atmosphere!

The civilians already scream and run inside if you start shooting.

This!

At least in Operation Arrowhead they do so.

Gotta feel sorry for BIS..

It started off as a simple war game.

Soon people will be wanting traffic lights, traffic wardens, indicators and parking tickets.

Nah i jest - has anyone played that crazy hitman contracts level where you're at mardis gras and there's massive streaming crowds of civilians.

That would be cool lol. Wrong game?

@Goos

Your statement may be right in relation to 2-3 years old systems. Furthermore we'll have a new engine with nowadays features support ^^ PLUS: Civilian could just be processed and pictured in players visual range. Of course this only counts for SP, implemented by a module placed in the mission editor for example.

Would do great to the overall atmosphere!

Depending on how streamlined the updated engine is you could be right and only dealing with A.I. within a certain distance is certainly a good and common way of keeping system stress down but enough A.I. in one place and you will see the system being strained especially if there is a sizeable battle going on. A server could cope a lot better for obvious reasons (namely not having to worry about rendering and playing)

They definatly need to react better to gunfire though yeah sometimes they do run away but not always. No one would run around like a headless chicken when a firefight breaks out around them.

well, points well made... but how the hell will BI actually make ArmA 3 run better... does anyone have absolutely any idea on how much crap goes on in this game. I'm just surprised it doesn't still crash every 5 minutes like it used to. And the AI compacted in one area, the processing of everything going on is over exaggerated. Its quite amazing what these guys made for a game, but I can only guess that this new game will be outstandingly perfect. Like everyone else, I just broadcast my ideas... and I am sure the development team thinks of this crap every day. Nearly anything on these forums have probably been discussed multiple times. Its just they can only do SO MUCH. I'd keep it as simple as it was before, just better AI, Environment, Performance, Effects, Physics and Sounds. That is BRIEFLY what needs to be executed to finish this game, whether or not there are more ideas. They usually cover enough to let us deal with the rest, don't hassle people for discussing these matters. After all, this is a forum... and its very populated lol

It will be much neater if the civilians don't simply lay down on the ground and commit suicides near edges.

This. ^

A man walks out of his house's front door on his way to work and decides 'Hmm, this is a perfect opportunity to commit suicide' and offs himself.

I support this idea with more civvies actions like shopping,having a drink or coffee,talking at their cellphones,standing on benches in park.I don't want a life sim but something more in the lines of Gta IV where people have different actions.Also proper reaction when they see shit hits the fan around them.

Well considering that this is a war game and that most missions will take place after the shit has already hit the fan, I don't see a great deal being added to their animations unless BIS specifically need some 'living' animations for their campaign. At the very least the civilians should be given greater freedom of movement and functionality though. And not ignore 'careless' commands.

That's what was said about ARMA 2, but a lot of the first half of its campaign revolved around public affairs duties, inteacting with the local populace, etc.

Hmm, true. Well if the same is true of Arma 3 then such things should be included. or at least allow civilians to have any animations played on them.