Sign in to follow this  
CameronMcDonald

Ghost Recon: Online

They blame it all on piracy and yet they seem to miss the piracy on consoles...

This! The argument "focus on consoles, PC is full of piracy" is pure bullshit that only moron unfamiliar with subject can say (marketing guy?) because there is just no difference between PCs and consoles in terms of piracy...

Why Ubis sales figures are going down:

-The games they make are usually awfull dumbed down parodys of the original PC title (Splinter cell, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six and so on)

-Everything they touch is going to fail, except for Anno (maybe) and Assassins creed

-They punish honest buyers of their game with one of the most stupid copy protection systems ever invented

-They have bought Massive and stopped Development of World in Conflict 2 (I will never forgive that!)

-Games where only half heartedly ported to PC (Console controls layout and stuff still present)

So they have basically done everything to stop PC gamers from buying their games

So no Future Soldier (with 4-player coop campaign) for PC, instead we get this free to play generic piece of crap?

I am now upset.

If only UBI could give us some SDKs for the older titles, everything would be forgiven and we would follow our paths, almost always away from theirs, of course :rolleyes:

In this case, would that mean ARMA is our last true tactical shooter? D:

It's been as such for years now.

In fact I'd say it's rather bad that BIS has zero competition

I just melted a man from ten metres, Clancy-style. No flames, just a dull sizzle from my level 2 portable microwave transmitter. It looks like a backpack that extends over my shoulder, periscope-style. But surprisingly my Heat ability is almost realistic: “We use the YouTube rule within the dev team – if you can go to YouTube and find a working prototype, it can go in the game,†explains Theo Sanders, Ghost Recon Online’s creative director. Invisibility, EMPs, force fields – this is the new generation of warfare.

Taken from this huh-larious article:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/24/ghost-recon-online-preview/

Hey Ubisoft, GTFO of the PC Gaming sector and stick to consoles.

Oh wait, you basically already have :D

/throws party :dancered: :cheers:

Edited by BangTail

1. It's a game

2. It's a competive online game

3. They are not competing for "Most realistic game of the year award"

4. It's their franchise and they can do what ever they want with it

5. New generations,want new stuff. That's how it goes :)

6. We still have ArmA

Internet fight! Ubi vs DD...not that i think that this would happen at all, its just a little convenient thing to say given all of Ubi's whinging.

1. It's a game

2. It's a competive online game

3. They are not competing for "Most realistic game of the year award"

4. It's their franchise and they can do what ever they want with it

5. New generations,want new stuff. That's how it goes :)

6. We still have ArmA

Compare this GR to the GR's of old and then tell me whether this is a good thing.

BlackCompany says:

06:40pm November 24 2011

I have finally figured it out. The truth behind all of Ubisoft's anti-pc-gaming rhetoric. It just hit me, actually.

This is the same tactic politicians use to discredit opponents with whom they are concerned. Attack, degrade, dehumanize their supports and paint them as villains. Make everyone believe the cause is a vile, evil thing no honest person would support. Convince the majority to turn away and refuse to participate in their illicit lifestyle. By lumping all pc gamers into the Pirate category, Ubisoft paints a picture of PC gamers as inhumane, dishonorable thieves who are not worth supporting.

This of course belies their silent counterargument. 'Come to Console' they not-whisper in the ear of budding devs. "PC is a sinkhole of lost profits due to pirates, don't waste time with it. This 'silent argument' is implicit in their anti-PC campaign.

But more important than the rant itself, is the reason for the rant. Ubisoft has a motive for their anti-pc campaign, see. They see the future, and they like it not. Ubi sees a future wherein small, independent developers, who care more about the quality of their games than about the bottom line of profit sheets, can compete on an even keel with triple-A devs.

Ubisoft sees the Mojangs and the Supergiants competing toe to toe with itself, EA, Bethesda, et al. This comes mostly thanks to digital distribution eliminating many retail costs once associated with video game development. Steam, Impulse and yes, even Origin, all grant indie devs an entry into the market without the need to spend millions to distribute copies of their games worldwide. It lets them sell digital games in Australia at digital prices, not physical retail prices, since as digital distributions only, they need not worry about competing with brick and mortar stores carrying their product.

Ubisoft sees this future. Ubisfot is concerned.

Ubisoft is scared.

They know the stranglehold the big houses hold on quality gaming is slowly eroding. They know they are losing their grip on AAA titles. They know that while indies are not eroding a significant portion of their market share now, the day will come when indies are eroding a gigantic share.

Ubisoft knows that in this world, they can no longer just redistribute reskinned versions of old games every six months and compete in the long term. They know that they will need to up development time, increase the care they put into games, focus on story and innnovate in order to keep up in this world. They know this, and they know how it will affect their profit margin.

Ubisoft knows this, and Ubisoft, is scared

this is true

Compare this GR to the GR's of old and then tell me whether this is a good thing.

It's hard to beacuse they are 2 different sub genres.

Don't get my wrong, I hate dumbing down as much as any other true PC gamer, but the thing is there is nothing we can do about it. As long as people will play it and buy new items ingame, Ubisoft ( and others) will stick to this model.

As I said,times change, people want new things from games... Can you blame someone for having different tastes then you?

Was that a shield? With lights? I just threw up.

The originals were great. I think GR2 and expansion were great too. I even think the GRAWs (console versions only; PC sucked hard) were great in a different way. But this and FS are looking pretty dumb.

It's hard to beacuse they are 2 different sub genres.

Don't get my wrong, I hate dumbing down as much as any other true PC gamer, but the thing is there is nothing we can do about it. As long as people will play it and buy new items ingame, Ubisoft ( and others) will stick to this model.

As I said,times change, people want new things from games... Can you blame someone for having different tastes then you?

Better to go down swingin then to silently take it in the rear :p

Our only recourse is to be as vocal as possible and try to raise awareness that there is something better to the masses...

I'm going to break from the norm and say that GRAW on PC was far and above the crap that was delivered on console.

Theres a difference between having different tastes and ditching the unique tactical shooter genre to make a bog standard fps game in the search for more $$$, assuming that if you pander to the masses (CoD), they'll make millions...which they won't, because those people will play CoD.

Theres a difference between having different tastes and ditching the unique tactical shooter genre to make a bog standard fps game in the search for more $$$, assuming that if you pander to the masses (CoD), they'll make millions...which they won't, because those people will play CoD.

Well... no. People back then wanted tactical shooters,they made tactical shooters. People now want faster paced shooters, they make faster paced shooters. You cant blame the new generation of gamers for beeing born into the "over hyped, dumbed down" era.

And it's always about the money :) Game devs/publishers don't live off good user reviews.

I'm not defending them :) but there is nothing we can do, since the free to play ( pay to win) concept has been prooven already.

And it's always about the money :) Game devs/publishers don't live off good user reviews.

It's always about the money,but this doesn't mean they have to go full dumbing down route.People make money on pc and I'm not talking about MMOs.True,games are expensive to make and I can understand why some companies go multiplatform,but UBI way is to be lazy,bring down(very down)quality,don't give a crap about what you make and expecting huge income in return.

It's always about the money,but this doesn't mean they have to go full dumbing down route.People make money on pc and I'm not talking about MMOs.True,games are expensive to make and I can understand why some companies go multiplatform,but UBI way is to be lazy,bring down(very down)quality,don't give a crap about what you make and expecting huge income in return.

And that sells, thus they stick to the model :)

Edited by Maio

I think we understand the concept of what sells better -Pop music sells better then extremely talented guitarists and musicians - yet if a super talented musician sells out for profit we have a right to voice our displeasure.

I think we understand the concept of what sells better -Pop music sells better then extremely talented guitarists and musicians - yet if a super talented musician sells out for profit we have a right to voice our displeasure.

Of course you do, but I fear this will turn into another OFP: DR/RR thread.

Our games lack content, don't make use of the technological possibilities of modern PCs because they are ported from consoles that equal 6 year old PCs in specs, are designed to challenge everyone with an IQ of at most 85, have idiotic DRM that prevents genuine users from using the game unless they use cracks, have a singleplayer of about 4 hours, are barely supported and ditched every year for the next installment, all of this at a more than reasonable price of $50-60 with a 65% profit margin target.

Gee, it's really hard to understand why people aren't willing to pay for our entertainment marvels ... :j:

Our games lack content, don't make use of the technological possibilities of modern PCs because they are ported from consoles that equal 6 year old PCs in specs, are designed to challenge everyone with an IQ of at most 85, have idiotic DRM that prevents genuine users from using the game unless they use cracks, have a singleplayer of about 4 hours, are barely supported and ditched every year for the next installment, all of this at a more than reasonable price of $50-60 with a 65% profit margin target.

Gee, it's really hard to understand why people aren't willing to pay for our entertainment marvels ... :j:

Indeed... it's mind boggling. Maybe we should invest more in the DRM...

Indeed... it's mind boggling. Maybe we should invest more in the DRM...

Or in PR. If we constantly tell the people how awesome our mediocre games are, then they are gonna believe it one day!

Obviously, they've raped the GR franchise with a concession of abominations. But, I actually think that this game could have some potential as a pure arcade shooter. Just forget the fact that it bears the GR title and is associated with Ubisoft.

Obviously, they've raped the GR franchise with a concession of abominations. But, I actually think that this game could have some potential as a pure arcade shooter. Just forget the fact that it bears the GR title and is associated with Ubisoft.

Yup, that's my advice as well. Rock Paper Shotgun had a hands on session and said it's a decent PC MP game.

So I guess we should look at the half of the glass that's full :)