Sign in to follow this  
-=seany=-

Steel (ahem..take inspiration) from the popular mods!

Some things the modders just design and create so much better than BIS. BIS can't be blamed for this as the ones who play the game all the time are the ones who understand how things should really be implemented.

The ACE mod is a perfect example of this. They got so many things right that it should be no question when it comes to BIS looking for ways to improve the game for Arma3.

Things like how back packs work; BIS don't need to take the idea and make it slightly different (like they did with OA) they need to take it lock, stock and all.

The same for vehicle Fire Control Systems and Laser Range Finding. In ACE this is perfect, and was since before Operation Arrowhead came out. BIS took the idea and half implemented it for OA. Why can't they just copy it exactly?

The same for zeroing of hand held weapons and AT launchers. (BIS half implemented the perfection ACE had achieved)

Other notable features that the ACE crew have perfected and should be in Arma3 are:

1.Combat Deafness and ear plugs.

2.Vehicle weapons: The way APDFS tank rounds don't always cause a vehicle to explode, they will kill the crew. Same with AP bullets for APCs. Also tanks blow up in different ways and the ammo cooks off afterwards.

3.Missile guidance (TOW Scalos etc)...Perfect in ACE - Really bad/broken in OA

4.IR strobes and Chem lights that can be attached to the player...Fantastic feature.

5.Ability to adjust NVG intensity

6.Ability to rest weapons/ deploy Bipod etc.

7.Spent shell casings that stay on the ground

I don't think any one would be against the implementation of any of the above, and that's just to name a few.

Then there are the sound mods. We have some real talent in this community, can't BIS just use their sounds/sources? Or get them to help with the sound creation? I mean, I don't think any one would argue that JSRS has the best M1A1 sounds of any BIS release or other sound mod or game for that matter. To be fair with the sounds though, BIS did a really good job of Helo sounds for Operation ArrowHead. But others where absolute garbage, I had a double take when I heard the A10's gun.

Then there are effects mods, like the excellent WarFX. OpticalSnare has some serious talent, I'm sure he wouldn't mind you borrowing some of his effects or helping you with creating new ones. I know there are performance limitations...but from what I have seen so far, he is very savvy when it comes to this. The latest WarFX gives barely any FPS drop for me.

Anyway, there is a wealth of talent here to pick from BIS, please make use of it. And I don't mean make a half arsed attempt at partially implementing some thing..Copy it verbatim and make it better, if it needs it...

Edited by -=seany=-

+1 on this, I might not be ACE's biggest fan but there are some features that I sorely miss when I game without it.

Weapon resting and proper missile ballistics and targeting should definitely feature in the core game.

Edited by Daniel

3.Missile guidance (TOW Scalos etc)...Perfect in ACE - Really bad/broken in OA

I agree only with those, but still they are minor improvements. Game must include pvp missions if you ask me and additions to the engine. And the last is not really used as when you lay down its supposed to be used automatically. It could be attached to a wall or whatever but this might cause bugs and problems.

As for the rokits, I don't really mind, they are not used a lot in pvp missions as its so imba ;)

In general I didn't like ACE, they did some good stuff for the Coopers but not the community in general.

I disagree partly,

While ACE has some fantastic features, some I do not like for instance, and would hate them to be in ArmA 3:

I dont think its needed, it just adds hastle having to pick up ear plugs, you can shoot an rpk-74 and go deaf, but you can blast away with an ak-74 and you are fine. just adds hassle for no reason.

Then you start going down the 'hardcore sim' line, while realism is good threres no need for some things, such as people suggesting highly complex medical systems. ACE is as far as you need to go i think with bandages, morphine etc - any further and it would stop being fun, and get tedious.

i do agree on the other features though, while ACE is good for clans and realism fans, think some features id rather not have just for the casual game of ArmA.

but yes, I always play with a number of mods like WarFX, chammy's sound mod, Zues AI and a compilation of smaller mods improving the gameplay/animations/GUI etc.

Let's be honest, whether you love, hate, or in-between when it comes to the ACE mod, you have to admit they do have some pretty cool stuff and ideas in there. I agree with the OP, I would love to see more of the above implemented by default right out of the box. I know some hated the whole needing ear plugs and some of the "Accessories", but to me I thought it was great and fun addition.

But if I had to pick only one thing to choose, it would be the weapon rest feature. It's come in handy a lot in missions where I was able to rest against a bit of wall or a ledge or even window with my LMG and being able to give a few bursts without pointing up to the sky.

Other than that, yet I enjoyed packing and using ear plugs, light sticks, etc. and wouldn't mind seeing BIS do this right out of the box. Nice one, Seany! :)

I really think that bohemia should work with some of the ace devs for arma 3 and make ace a part of the game. Because updating ace and downloading it can get frustrating. Or maybe they can add a regular mode and a ace mode

Way to make an already complicated game even MORE complicated. ACE was nice and fancy when it was out, but for my SP experience, I now prefer vanilla OA simply because I don´t want to put up with all the extra baggage the mod comes with.

I´m largely against anything that can´t be implemented without increasing complexity in controls, or anything that´s a fringe function. If anything, the game needs to become LESS complex in terms of its controls to draw more of a crowd.

Otherwise, the community might dry out even more in the coming five years.

Yeah, I don't really want it much more complex either and perhaps Deafness and Ear plugs are too personal also. But most of the other suggestions would not over complicate things, they would be pretty seamless. It's mainly the way the mods are better at implementing systems than BIS. The perfect example of this is the way the Ranging and Fire Control is done in tanks/vehicles. Both ACE and vanilla do this, but the way the ACE team implemented it is far better.

Oh yeah..Steel/steal...oops FPDR

I agree that at least Weapon rest should be made vanilla!

I really think that bohemia should work with some of the ace devs for arma 3 and make ace a part of the game. Because updating ace and downloading it can get frustrating. Or maybe they can add a regular mode and a ace mode

what about those that dont like ACE?

What about those who like?

What about those who like?

They can download it, as always... Those who dont like it shouldnt be forced to withstand the pain :)

Absolutely, we're only talking individual features that the community have come up with that would benefit the vanilla game experience.

You mean there are people who actually think this is a worthwhile feature?

My opinion on the matter:

1: Disagree.

2: Agree.

3: Agree.

4: Agree.

5: Agree.

6: Definitely agree.

7: Agree.

Sound mods: many of them are sounds that have copyrights. If BIS were to sell their games with sounds that are copyrighted like that, and they don't have permission, there would be lots of potential for legal trouble. Mods get away with it because they are not making any money.

Effects mods: Arma 2's effects were made by Maddmatt I believe, who made the most popular effects mod for Armed Assault.

Edit: ST_Dux and I share the same opinion on 1. Keep it in mods.

Edited by Zipper5
Last part

You mean there are people who actually think this is a worthwhile feature?

WHAT?! I can't hear you! *points at ear protection that look like giant Vulcan ears* :p

Some features that ACE had in A1 and A2, and some in WGL back in OFP, have made it one way or another into the game, especially OA;

- Rucksacks

- CSW (Crew Served Weapons)

- Sights adjustment

- CQB sight mode

- Several assets

- Flashlights

- IR Strobes

- FLIR / TI

- Tank FCS

- A2 Tracers

- A2 Wounding system

I think they certainly take inspiration from community mods.

Let's see what A3 brings :) Certainly pushes the community's creativity... what to come up with next, or how to improve :)

But, options / configurability is certainly preferred, especially in consideration of realism features.

But let's be honest; that has always been the series strong suit.

Edited by Sickboy

Some features that ACE had in A1 and A2, and some in WGL back in OFP, have made it one way or another into the game, especially OA;

Because brilliant and innovative work is always an inspiration for all, and obviously for BIS devs. Hope they make you know it.

As long as i dont get that stamina system forced upon me i am happy. It may not be good in the default game but i personally find ACE's implementation to be much worse.

Like i said, i think there should be a regular mode and a acemode. Meaning it can be disabled and enabled. Sorta like other games have a regular and hardcore mode