Sign in to follow this  
msy

How will the light source be like in ARMA3?

From OFP to ARMA2 there are only two kinds of illuminant that can generate shadow: the sun and the moon. However, other light sources such as streat lamp, camp fire, vehicle light, flashlight and flare grenades etc. instead of generating shadow(s), will pass through a wall or other nontransparent things, lighting their rear area which should be dark.

I learn about that it is due to no multi-light source. In RV3 engine there is still one real light source: the sun or the moon, which is far scarce and out of reality.

I want to see there will be a more realistic shadow exhibition in ARMA3.

Edited by msy

Conservative as I am, I doubt that we´ll see any large improvement in this regard. I´d at least be happy if objects stopped light, instead of light just passing trough everything.

And if they go multi-source dynamic lighting, it´ll probably not be without a significant performance impact.

Conservative as I am, I doubt that we´ll see any large improvement in this regard. I´d at least be happy if objects stopped light, instead of light just passing trough everything.

This, although multiple light sources would be awesome too.

Hi,

I think this is something very important to bring in now, a improved lightning system that allows for multiple light sources that cause dynamic shadows and most importantly lights must be blocked by objects and terrain, something that does not happen in Arma 2.

I'm hoping to see a huge improvement in this area.

_neo_

Since the game now requires DirectX 10, they must have written a new renderer. I think it's likely that they use a deferred rendering system. That would mean more efficient handling of large numbers of light sources.

While that doesn't necessarily mean multiple shadow sources, I think there's a good chance.

GTA4, Shift 2, Crysis 2(PC only) use deferred rendering.

It's the direction other games are taking, so BIS is probably going that way too.

Note that unlike with the example games I listed, deferred rendering in DX10 doesn't have the same problems they have with anti-aliasing...

I'd rather looking for GI (Not Grand Infantry, but Global Illumination).

Arma 3 NEEDS some improved lighting as well...

Yea I'd like better lighting also, prob deferred lighting. I've always put lighting 4th on my wish list of tech improvements for Arma behind netcode, physics & animations.

Deferred lighting would be very nice :)

That would be the best thing for ArmA 3.

The graphics don't need much of an overhaul(Though no one can actually run the game maxed to enjoy it's best graphics, so...) but the lighting is one of the main...visual issues with ArmA 2. A new lighting system could bring new life to ArmA 2, and now with ArmA 3 I hope they do revamp the lighting.

I'm not up on my graphics terminology, but if they can just stop headlamps and searchlights penetrating solid objects and hillsides, i'll be happy. I've noticed big improvements already, especially since BIS added torches, so here's hoping this continues.

I'd rather looking for GI (Not Grand Infantry, but Global Illumination).

Keep dreaming.

GI on ArmA 3's scale would be insane.

Well, ambient occlusion is an approximation to GI, and OA features SSAO. The hit on SSAO is pretty severe on my lousy hardware, so I can't use it. So no, if it already struggles with a subset substitution, I don't expect to see the full package.

My second most important wish is shadows from all light sources. The most important is better handling of existing lightsources: No floating point rounding errors (i.e. due to altitude) and that AI reacts (helps them see) to even the most basic flares without having to resort to using #lightpoint tricks.

Well, ambient occlusion is an approximation to GI, and OA features SSAO. The hit on SSAO is pretty severe on my lousy hardware, so I can't use it. So no, if it already struggles with a subset substitution, I don't expect to see the full package.

My second most important wish is shadows from all light sources. The most important is better handling of existing lightsources: No floating point rounding errors (i.e. due to altitude) and that AI reacts (helps them see) to even the most basic flares without having to resort to using #lightpoint tricks.

The hit on SSAO is bad on even good hardware. It's the only thing in the Heaven 2.5 benchmark that slows my hardware down noticeably, and that's without overclocking my CPU which currently bottlenecks the hell out of my gpu unless it's OC'd.

It's not the size that matters, but what you do with it ;)

Switching DX version shouldn't magically make everything better, but you can probably do more with it, more optimized, and perhaps easier.

I too would love to see the lighting improved :) and an official answer.

I want to know if using DX10\11 API the more realistic light and shadow will come true or even in new API it won't improve light and shadow features due to engine restriction?

I want to know if using DX10\11 API the more realistic light and shadow will come true or even in new API it won't improve light and shadow features due to engine restriction?

Take time with your posts, you don't have to rush.

Light going through objects - unfortunately the only way to do this to have shadows. Which deferred rendering won't speed up a whole lot.

Deferred also has a high overhead cost - that is, a few pixel lights will render much faster than a few lights in deferred. But a few hundred lights in deferred will render many, many times faster than hundreds of pixel lights.

If we have deferred - expect more fires. Flashlights. Lit buildings. Particles emitting sources of light. ectect. If they have it, they better damn well use it.

SSAO isn't based on scene complexity, but screen size. So the more pixels, the longer it'll take. But enabling it tackles us with more fps loss than it should..

Lastly, upgrading from dx10 or dx11 isn't going to instantly make the game look better. There is no "make game pretty" toggle option for developers.